inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Are The Oldest VHS Tapes That You Still Own?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/16/16 at 4:06 pm

Somewhat random topic, but a recent search through my old tape archives revealed that I own many more older (1990 and earlier) VHS tapes than I thought I did. Note, I'm not talking about the age of the actual movie itself, but rather when the tape was originally manufactured. My grandparents have Gone With the Wind on VHS, but the tape is a relatively new late '90s re-release, so it doesn't qualify.

Some older ones I found in my collection:

Happy Birthday Bugs... 50 Looney Years (1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie (1990)
TMNT: Hot Rodding Teenagers from Dimension X (1989)
TMNT: Heroes in a Half Shell (1988)
Benji the Hunted (1987)
The Chipmunk Adventure (1987)
Bugs Bunny and Friends Vol. 2 (1987)
Care Bears Family Storybook (1986)

Subject: Re: What Are The Oldest VHS Tapes That You Still Own?

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/16 at 4:15 pm

You kept them? I wish I did.  :\'(

Overall though, I never got to buy many VHS tapes. I rented everything.

The oldest one is probably my parent's wedding in 1991  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/16/16 at 5:02 pm

I still own a few VHS tapes, but I don't have a working VCR. I think the oldest VHS tape that I have is some from the 80s.

EDIT: Apparently, the oldest VHS tape that I could find (in my room) was a home video release of "Don't Look Back" starring Bob Dylan in 1999.

Written By: nally on 07/16/16 at 5:17 pm

The oldest ones that I own were made in the 80s... two copies of the E.T. movie.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/16/16 at 10:12 pm

All of our old VHS tapes are still lying around the guest room, which also has a tv from 1991 and a VCR, so we can still watch them if we feel like it!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/16 at 9:24 am

All of our old VHS tapes are still lying around the guest room, which also has a tv from 1991 and a VCR, so we can still watch them if we feel like it!

What happens if you have a guest?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/17/16 at 9:33 am

Goodness, I don't even know. I still have some very, very old VHS tapes but I don't know which one is the oldest. I'll have to look through them to see.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/17/16 at 9:38 am

In terms of Home movie tapes the oldest one is from 2000. In terms of blockbuster releases the oldest is from 1994 (it's Lion King). From 2000-2004/5 we used a mix of VHS and DVDs, but as of the 2006-onward we had gotten rid of our old VHS tapes and just bought the DVD re-releases.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/16 at 9:46 am

In terms of Home movie tapes the oldest one is from 2000. In terms of blockbuster releases the oldest is from 1994 (it's Lion King). From 2000-2004/5 we used a mix of VHS and DVDs, but as of the 2006-onward we had gotten rid of our old VHS tapes and just bought the DVD re-releases.

Same with my family. Although, we still had our VCR until my dad threw it out in early 2009.

Written By: Starlighter on 07/17/16 at 1:20 pm

The oldest tape would be of recorded 80's cartoons.  It has DTv on it - a show where they made music videos of popular songs at time out of Disney cartoon shorts.  "The Heart of Rock n Roll" by Huey Lewis and the News is on there so I'm guessing it's from the mid 80's.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/16 at 3:22 pm

How is the quality?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/16 at 3:23 pm

How is the quality?

I'm pretty sure the quality seems decent for a VHS tape in the early 90s. Hell, most VHS tapes don't even have good quality, so it doesn't really matter on how good the quality is. Unless the tape has been copied thousands of times, then that's when people would notice the quality decreasing.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/16 at 3:26 pm

The oldest thing I taped was started in 1990, It was WWF programming and the oldest thing my Father taped was I think in 1985 when he taped USA For Africa on HBO.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/18/16 at 7:35 am

This is a cool thread on this site that especially features a couple people who search around at yard sales or eBay for various blank tape content, looking for classic TV content.

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?468007-Oldest-Extant-Off-Air-VHS-Beta-Tape-You-Have/page49

Personally, the oldest VHS tape my parents had in terms of one to record off of TV was news footage from the Today Show and Good Morning America the day after the Challenger Disaster (1986). The oldest VHS that my parents bought for me was Lady And The Tramp (1987 original release with the original Walt Disney "The Classics" logo, which I still own today) I was just a toddler then.

I myself am an aficionado for old VHS (and Betamax too as I have a Beta player) tapes just to look for various TV content, something that I have done so often over the past couple of years to the point that I have a mini-museum of classic TV programming through wild finds and traders. The oldest ever videotape I've ever found (Beta or VHS) was a recording of a portion of a Chicago Cubs baseball game from July 1978 that even featured some DISCO songs used as WGN would transition to a commercial! I got the chills of when I first heard that asking in my head "Now is this where that Disco Demolition Night came from?"

That said, if you or a loved one have any VHS or Beta tapes, check out what's on them, since an obscure sitcom, game show, soap opera episode, talk show, sporting event, TV special, local commercials, or children's cartoons/shows could turn up that isn't commercially available elsewhere!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/19/16 at 6:19 am

This is a cool thread on this site that especially features a couple people who search around at yard sales or eBay for various blank tape content, looking for classic TV content.

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?468007-Oldest-Extant-Off-Air-VHS-Beta-Tape-You-Have/page49

Personally, the oldest VHS tape may parents had in terms of one to record off of TV was news footage from the Today Show and Good Morning America the day after the Challenge Disaster (1986). The oldest VHS that my parents bought for me was Lady And The Tramp (1987 original release with the original Walt Disney "The Classics" logo, which I still own today) I was just a toddler then.

I myself am an aficionado for old VHS (and Betamax too as I have a Beta player) tapes just to look for various TV content, something that I have done so often over the past couple of years to the point that I have a mini-museum of classic TV programming through wild finds and traders. The oldest ever videotape I've ever found (Beta or VHS) was a recording of a portion of a Chicago Cubs baseball game from July 1978 that even featured some DISCO songs used as WGN would transition to a commercial! I got the chills of when I first heard that asking in my head "Now is this where that Disco Demolition Night came from?"

That said, if you or a loved one have any VHS or Beta tapes, check out what's on them, since an obscure sitcom, game show, soap opera episode, talk show, sporting event, TV special, local commercials, or children's cartoons/shows could turn up that isn't commercially available elsewhere!

Great post. I've been obsessed with searching through old blank tapes really since I was a teenager. There's just something exciting about coming across a mysterious blank tape (especially an unmarked one) and popping it in the VCR to find out what's on it. Before YouTube came along and made old commercials and TV shows much more accessible, I used to actually visit yard sales and junk stores in search of old blank tapes. In fact, I still do from time to time.

I have alot of recorded tapes from the '90s, mostly football and basketball games taped by my dad. My parents also have a large collection of Elvis movies recorded around 1991-92. Unfortunately, I don't have much older than that. My parents were late to the VHS game, and didn't get a VCR until 1989. I believe the two oldest blank tapes I have from my parents are an episode of Northern Exposure they recorded in Summer 1990, and an NBC Sunday Night Movie from late 1989.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/16 at 3:13 pm

hat said, if you or a loved one have any VHS or Beta tapes, check out what's on them, since an obscure sitcom, game show, soap opera episode, talk show, sporting event, TV special, local commercials, or children's cartoons/shows could turn up that isn't commercially available elsewhere!

I don't remember the last time I watched a VHS tape. ???

Written By: nally on 07/19/16 at 6:11 pm

The oldest thing I taped was started in 1990, It was WWF programming and the oldest thing my Father taped was I think in 1985 when he taped USA For Africa on HBO.

For me, the oldest thing surviving on any VHS tape that is NOT pre-recorded is the CBS "Moon walk" special from July 1989, commemorating the 20th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's moon landing.
Next would probably be the "Addams Family" marathon that aired on Thanksgiving Day 1991 on KCAL-9 TV; we taped 6 hours of that.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 3:41 pm

I still have my VCR. The oldest tape is from 1984. I don't know what the movie/episode is but all you can see is 1984.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/16 at 3:46 pm

I still have my VCR. The oldest tape is from 1984. I don't know what the movie/episode is but all you can see is 1984.

Did you check?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 3:47 pm

You have a 32 year old VCR and it still works? Damn, you must be lucky. The VCR that I have was from 2001 or 2002, and it doesn't even work correctly. It sucked so bad that I had to literally cut the cord from it.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 3:48 pm

You have a 32 year old VCR and it still works? Damn, you must be lucky. The VCR that I have was from 2001 or 2002, and it doesn't even work correctly. It sucked so bad that I had to literally cut the cord from it.
The VCR isn't from 1984. It's from 1998, but still...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 3:52 pm

The VCR isn't from 1984. It's from 1998, but still...

So you have an 18 year old VCR? Okay. Seems older than my broken VCR though.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 4:03 pm

Yep. I only use it occasionally.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/12/16 at 1:34 am

The oldest VHS tape I own is from 1986. The tape is just a recording of TV content, so it has commercials on it as well. As for my VCR player, I have owned it since 2004, when I received it as a birthday present.

Written By: nally on 08/24/16 at 12:33 pm

The first VCR we had, we got in 1987, and it only lasted four years (conked out in 1991), and we bought a new unit after that, which lasted 11 years (1991-2002) before it needed to be replaced. Let's see...in the last 14 years, I think we've gone through two or three VCR units (the current one of which has a DVD player).

In addition, I have a small TV with a built-in VCR; I received it for Christmas in 2003, but the VCR quit working in 2008, but the TV still works fine, after almost 13 years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 12:53 pm

The first VCR we had, we got in 1987, and it only lasted four years (conked out in 1991), and we bought a new unit after that, which lasted 11 years (1991-2002) before it needed to be replaced. Let's see...in the last 14 years, I think we've gone through two or three VCR units (the current one of which has a DVD player).

In addition, I have a small TV with a built-in VCR; I received it for Christmas in 2003, but the VCR quit working in 2008, but the TV still works fine, after almost 13 years.

My family used to have a couple VCRs. One that my dad threw out in early 2009, and one that I somehow screwed up around two years ago.

Written By: nally on 08/24/16 at 2:13 pm

My family used to have a couple VCRs. One that my dad threw out in early 2009, and one that I somehow screwed up around two years ago.

I might have "screwed up" mine by playing it too much. But the screwing up was not intentional.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 2:43 pm

I might have "screwed up" mine by playing it too much. But the screwing up was not intentional.

I only screwed it up when I tried to put in a tape. I'm not sure if it worked or not, so I pulled it out (which wasn't a good thing to do). After a few tries, I tried to look at the VCR and decided that it wasn't good. I pulled the cord, and never used it again.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/16 at 3:12 pm

My Family used to own a VCR during the mid 80's.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/16 at 3:12 pm

I kept rewinding and fast forwarding too much.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 3:29 pm

I kept rewinding and fast forwarding too much.

You shouldn't do that to a VCR a lot. The tape isn't extremely durable, and it could lead to crappy quality.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/16 at 3:45 pm

You shouldn't do that to a VCR a lot. The tape isn't extremely durable, and it could lead to crappy quality.

mine lead to a ruined video tape. :(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/24/16 at 8:42 pm

We've had several VCR's over the years. My parents got their first in 1989, while my grandparents got their first in 1991. My parents first VCR made it from 1989 to 1996, while my grandparents first VCR made it from 1991 all the way to 2003. My parents second VCR made it from 1996 to 2005, while the second one my grandparents got in 2004 still works today. I got a VCR of my own in 2001, and it lasted until 2011.

Written By: Butterball on 08/24/16 at 11:53 pm

They are not vhs, but I still have beta tapes from 1979. I also still own a working Betamax player. Since there were no rental stores back then, the only things I have recorded on them (at that time) is from tv. A blank 3 hour tape back then cost $25.00... so I did a lot of taping over programs. There are a lot of old commercials on the programs that I recorded back then. Right now in the closet, I have over a 100 beta tapes with various programs and movies, mostly from the 80's.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/25/16 at 12:47 am

I just got up out of bed to go and look at the VHS tapes, haven't looked at them in years. Oldest home video tape was either my parents' Disney World trip in 1998 or when they found out I would be a a boy in October, 1998. Oldest movie tape we own is Annie, and it says 1981. That's strange, I always thought it came out in 1982.

Just wanted to mention, I just found out we had all these random CDs and DVDs I didn't even know we owned in there, such as an early 2000s Christmas CD with people like Christina Aguilera and Destiny's Child. Also found out my parents got rid of the majority of our VHS tapes like Lilo & Stitch  :\'(. I'm wanting a VCR now so I can watch some of these.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/25/16 at 9:09 am

I just got up out of bed to go and look at the VHS tapes, haven't looked at them in years. Oldest home video tape was either my parents' Disney World trip in 1998 or when they found out I would be a a boy in October, 1998. Oldest movie tape we own is Annie, and it says 1981. That's strange, I always thought it came out in 1982.

Just wanted to mention, I just found out we had all these random CDs and DVDs I didn't even know we owned in there, such as an early 2000s Christmas CD with people like Christina Aguilera and Destiny's Child. Also found out my parents got rid of the majority of our VHS tapes like Lilo & Stitch  :\'(. I'm wanting a VCR now so I can watch some of these.

This is why people shouldn't throw out their VCRs, if they already have some memories on VHS. I already a small collection of VHS tapes, but I don't have a VCR thanks to my dad throwing the only working one away. It makes me wish that I have one.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/16 at 9:11 am

They are not vhs, but I still have beta tapes from 1979. I also still own a working Betamax player. Since there were no rental stores back then, the only things I have recorded on them (at that time) is from tv. A blank 3 hour tape back then cost $25.00... so I did a lot of taping over programs. There are a lot of old commercials on the programs that I recorded back then. Right now in the closet, I have over a 100 beta tapes with various programs and movies, mostly from the 80's.

That's amazing that you have tapes dating back to 1979! Tapes that old are quite rare since so few people had VHS/Beta at the time. Most people I know didn't own any type of home video recorder until about 1985 at the earliest.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/25/16 at 9:14 am

That's amazing that you have tapes dating back to 1979! Tapes that old are quite rare since so few people had VHS/Beta at the time. Most people I know didn't own any type of home video recorder until about 1985 at the earliest.

Especially when Betamax was still prevalent in the very late 70s than VHS, since VHS wasn't mainstream until the early-mid 80s.

Written By: aja675 on 08/25/16 at 9:32 am

This is even more impressive:
http://www.tvdawn.com/earliest-tv/the-silvatone-recording-1933/

Written By: Howard on 08/25/16 at 4:16 pm

This is why people shouldn't throw out their VCRs, if they already have some memories on VHS. I already a small collection of VHS tapes, but I don't have a VCR thanks to my dad throwing the only working one away. It makes me wish that I have one.

mine are just collecting dust.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/25/16 at 4:17 pm

mine are just collecting dust.

Same with my broken one. Although, I should've threw it out.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/16 at 5:17 pm

Same with my broken one. Although, I should've threw it out.

I'll wait to transfer mine.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/25/16 at 6:25 pm

The one of my 1st birthday from 1996.

Written By: Butterball on 08/25/16 at 10:47 pm

This is what my first vcr looked like. It is long gone now. I'm not sure how much it weighed, but it was very heavy. I think I paid about $600.00 for it plus the interest I paid to finance it.

http://www.betamaxcollectors.com/images/sanyobetacordvcrvtc9100a_1.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/16 at 10:52 pm

Probably 1991, or 1992.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/25/16 at 11:19 pm

This is what my first vcr looked like. It is long gone now. I'm not sure how much it weighed, but it was very heavy. I think I paid about $600.00 for it plus the interest I paid to finance it.

Interesting... I see that it had knobs and switches and an analog counter... obviously one of the much older models.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/16 at 8:14 am

Is that a Betamax? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/26/16 at 8:44 am

It looks almost like a Betamax player.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/16 at 2:26 pm

It looks almost like a Betamax player.

I said the very same thing.  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/26/16 at 2:30 pm

I said the very same thing.  :o

I agree. It kinda looks like a VCR from the late 70s/early 80s, but the slot looks smaller.

Written By: nally on 08/26/16 at 7:09 pm

I agree. It kinda looks like a VCR from the late 70s/early 80s, but the slot looks smaller.

Almost like the size of a slot for an audiotape.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/26/16 at 7:19 pm

Almost like the size of a slot for an audiotape.

Kinda like an audio-cassette tape, but a little too big to fit that slot.

Written By: nally on 08/26/16 at 7:41 pm

That's what I meant.

Written By: Butterball on 08/26/16 at 8:47 pm

No, not a Betamax...I believe Betamax was just a brand made by Sony. This was actually a Sanyo brand beta vcr. Beta tapes were smaller than vhs. Supposedly, beta was better quality than vhs. Not quite sure why they didn't catch on. When I bought mine, I was told a vcr is basically a tv without a screen that could record on a video tape.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/26/16 at 8:56 pm

No, not a Betamax...I believe Betamax was just a brand made by Sony. This was actually a Sanyo brand beta vcr. Beta tapes were smaller than vhs. Supposedly, beta was better quality than vhs. Not quite sure why they didn't catch on. When I bought mine, I was told a vcr is basically a tv without a screen that could record on a video tape.

I think it's because VHS tapes can record longer than Betamax tapes. Especially when it lost the videotape format war in the late 70s/early 80s. Also, VHS tapes went on to become really popular until the early-mid 2000s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/26/16 at 10:27 pm

It is a smaller slot than what we usually see on a VCR because, as Butterball pointed out, Beta tapes were shaped quite a bit differently than VHS tapes.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Betavhs2.jpg

As for why Betamax lost the format war with VHS, the longer record times of VHS tapes compared to Beta tapes certainly played a large role. Another big aspect was price. In the early-to-mid '80s, some Beta players could cost as much as two or three times as much as a standard VHS player. As tends to be the case, consumers drifted towards the cheaper format.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/16 at 6:44 am

It is a smaller slot than what we usually see on a VCR because, as Butterball pointed out, Beta tapes were shaped quite a bit differently than VHS tapes.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Betavhs2.jpg

As for why Betamax lost the format war with VHS, the longer record times of VHS tapes compared to Beta tapes certainly played a large role. Another big aspect was price. In the early-to-mid '80s, some Beta players could cost as much as two or three times as much as a standard VHS player. As tends to be the case, consumers drifted towards the cheaper format.

No wonder why VHS tapes were really standard until the early 2000s.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/05/18 at 11:22 pm

I think the oldest tape I have is a 1978 release of "Assault on precinct 13" (1976) by MEDA

I am very grateful this tape was taken care of and not abused...... (Before I bought it)

Written By: annimal on 10/05/18 at 11:38 pm

don't think we have any more

Written By: fusefan on 10/06/18 at 12:59 am

I have some Magnetic Video releases from 1978. The oldest off air tv recording I’ve found so far is from February of 1980.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/18 at 2:12 pm

I think the oldest video tapes we own are probably from 1984-1985.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/06/18 at 11:40 pm

I have some Magnetic Video releases from 1978. The oldest off air tv recording I’ve found so far is from February of 1980.

Wow thats awesome!!!!!

1980?? :)

Is it recorded from analogue cable or analogue TV??

Written By: fusefan on 10/07/18 at 12:34 am

Wow thats awesome!!!!!

1980?? :)

Is it recorded from analogue cable or analogue TV??

I think whoever taped it probably just taped if off rabbit ears. It was an episode of “Alice” the only bit on that tape that didn’t have the commercials edited out of it. I transferred it to DVD but I’m keeping the original tape. I have a few other early 80s recordings but that’s the oldest I’ve found so far.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/07/18 at 5:06 pm

The latest stuff I have that was recorded from Rabbit ears (OTA) is a tape I found @ salvation army of QUICK CHANGE (1990) -- It was recorded from a local chanel in my area in 1996..

The earliest is ET (1982) recorded from the same channel in 1991

Written By: nally on 10/07/18 at 6:44 pm

I, on the other had, have two pre-recorded tapes of it (that is, the cardboard sleeve it's in even has the film art).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6y4AAOSwXyVYJ4WV/s-l300.jpg

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/07/18 at 10:13 pm

The earliest VHS I've found was a tape that contained a rerun of the Steve Martin: A Wild and Crazy Guy Special, a "Best of Saturday Night Live, Part II" special, and a network rerun of SNL with Carrie Fisher as host, recorded off WBAL in Baltimore in May 1979. I sold it off, but have dubbed all its contents on to DVD. The oldest Beta recording I've got (and any tape that I've ever found) is the last half of part one of the miniseries The Amazing Howard Hughes, taped off KNXT (now KCBS) on April 13, 1977, with a few commercial breaks along with the first few minutes of the late local news. It was quite inconvenient in the early days of Beta to record a feature length movie since a recorder could only hold up to an hour at a time. Towards the end of 1977, it became two hours, and then in 1979, 3 and by the end of the year, 5 hours. I find it easier to find '80s stuff on Beta (especially pre-1986) compared to VHS whenever I come across that format, but of course its harder to find, and most VHS stuff I find is from the '90s or '00s, but if you know your labels and also "feel" if the tape seems "thicker", you can easily spot the ones that may have '80s stuff on them. That said, the ratio of movies to TV shows were much higher in the '80s compared to the '00s, when a good deal of recorded content were shows, which makes finding original broadcasts of that favorite drama or sitcom from the '80s more exciting. It can be fascinating to search and hunt them, since there's lots of nostalgia through the ads, bumpers, news briefs, jingles, TV shows, announcers, and more.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/08/18 at 2:28 am

Thats awesome you guys have so many things FROM SO EARLY!!!

Geez 1979/1977?? -- Thats K-Rad!!!!!!!!! -- PURE ANALOG BEAUTY!!

Written By: fusefan on 10/08/18 at 1:14 pm

The oldest Beta Tape I have is a 1979 Magnetic Video release of some mighty mouse cartoons. Most of the off air Beta tapes i've found we're recorded in the late 80s. I have a playback only machine that only plays back Beta I speed tapes so if I find Any K-30 or K-60 tapes i'll be ready.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/08/18 at 1:38 pm

I own the VERY FIRST VHS tape EVER MADE.  My Best Friend's Wedding was spun on VHS.  It's still in good condition!

Written By: Howard on 10/09/18 at 7:27 am

The latest stuff I have that was recorded from Rabbit ears (OTA) is a tape I found @ salvation army of QUICK CHANGE (1990) -- It was recorded from a local chanel in my area in 1996..

Was ET taped from HBO?

Written By: Dude111 on 10/10/18 at 12:34 am

No ET was recorded from a local channel in my area (Channel 5) from OTA (Rabbit ears) you can see them adjusting the antenna a couple times during the movie....

The channel aired it UNCUT which is nice as usually TV broadcasts always edit it for time,etc....

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/18 at 1:00 am

I have plenty of VHS tapes, mostly programs recorded off television, and do not have the chance to watch them.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/18 at 7:38 am

I have plenty of VHS tapes, mostly programs recorded off television, and do not have the chance to watch them.

It's been so long since I watched them after VCRs went obsolete.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/18 at 3:25 pm

It's been so long since I watched them after VCRs went obsolete.
...and no one will take the video tapes away, no value what so ever!

Written By: nally on 10/10/18 at 4:07 pm

I did that same thing from 2004-2008, mostly with blooper-reel specials (including game show gaffes) and certain eps of Whose Line Is It Anyway (U.S.); similarly, I don't really have a chance to watch 'em either.
Maybe someday I'll see about transferring the contents to DVD.

I had to stop recording stuff off television in May of 2008 when the built-in VCR in my little TV quit working properly. In 2016 I got rid of that TV by donating it. (The TV itself still worked fine, but the remote didn't work anymore even after I replaced the batteries.)

Written By: Dude111 on 10/10/18 at 4:20 pm

Well to some they have alot of Value Phil :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/18 at 4:27 pm

Well to some they have alot of Value Phil :)
...but who are that some?

Written By: Dude111 on 10/10/18 at 11:09 pm

Im surprised you dont know buddy: ME :)

And im sure we have others here who like them also........

Written By: Howard on 10/11/18 at 5:34 am

and they could be worth something one day.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/18 at 5:36 am

Im surprised you dont know buddy: ME :)

And im sure we have others here who like them also........

I like them, it's good to look back and see what you had recorded on those tapes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/18 at 5:41 am

and they could be worth something one day.
One day, then you have to hold on to them?

Written By: Howard on 10/11/18 at 6:06 am

One day, then you have to hold on to them?

What good are they for? No one I know has a VCR any longer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/18 at 6:13 am

Come to think of it, I will need a VCR to view what is on the VHS tapes, in order to transfer to DVD.

Written By: nally on 10/11/18 at 6:02 pm

I like them, it's good to look back and see what you had recorded on those tapes.

Just like rereading your diary from years ago, bringing back old memories.

Written By: nally on 10/11/18 at 6:04 pm

Come to think of it, I will need a VCR to view what is on the VHS tapes, in order to transfer to DVD.

Clearly, because no other contraption can show VHS tapes.

I could still do that with mine, as we still have a VCR in our household. Then I'll see if I can find the instruction manual to read up on transferring VHS tape stuff to DVD.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/11/18 at 6:57 pm

I do. Now you know somebody.  8)

Written By: annimal on 10/11/18 at 7:01 pm

Rainbow Brite

Written By: Howard on 10/12/18 at 7:24 am

You can try Ebay or Amazon.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/18 at 7:25 am

Just like rereading your diary from years ago, bringing back old memories.

It brings you back to a time when technology was easy.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/18 at 7:27 am

My Father has USA For Africa's "We Are The World" from when it was on HBO back in 1985.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/18 at 8:40 am

My Father has USA For Africa's "We Are The World" from when it was on HBO back in 1985.

I taped Live Aid on VHS back when it was broadcast in 1985. I also taped the first Farm Aid a few months later. I still have them. I have some things I taped in 1984 too.

A few months ago I was in a thrift shop and came across a bunch of audio cassettes. Somebody had taped the entire of Live Aid from the radio. The cassettes were selling for fifty cents each so I bought them all.  I got every bit of Live Aid on audio for under $5. Most people just passed them by. I don't understand people's reluctance to use something perceived as "old technology" if all the data is on there! Music is music, no matter what you play it on. Just go to a thrift shop or Ebay and buy a cassette player and listen to it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/18 at 1:48 pm

I also have a couple of movies I bought on VHS circa 1984. What people may not know or remember is that if you bought a video outright in those days (as opposed to renting it) they could cost upwards of $50-$60 or more! They were definitely expensive.  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/12/18 at 2:10 pm

I also have a couple of movies I bought on VHS circa 1984. What people may not know or remember is that if you bought a video outright in those days (as opposed to renting it) they could cost upwards of $50-$60 or more! They were definitely expensive.  :o

What was the condition?

Written By: nally on 10/12/18 at 2:12 pm

No one I know has a VCR any longer.

I do. Now you know somebody.  8)

I still have one in my household, as well.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/18 at 2:19 pm

What was the condition?

They were new. Used VHS sales didn't pop up until later, and generally those were tapes that were getting a little too worn to be rented out by video stores any longer, so they would sell them. Even then they didn't sell them that cheap. Maybe $20.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/18 at 2:21 pm

I still have one in my household, as well.

It's been years since I used one.

Written By: nally on 10/12/18 at 2:24 pm

It's been years since I used one.

Same here. Ever since we got our DVR (from our cable provider) we have not really used our VCR unit at all. (Except maybe to watch a pre-recorded VHS tape...but I don't think we've used one of those in the last five years either.)

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/18 at 8:29 pm

Your mom's porno
(come on, someone had to say it lol)

The oldest VHS tape I still own is the 1984 film Streets of Fire

Written By: Dude111 on 10/13/18 at 6:29 pm

Wow all you guys that have stuff recorded from ANALOGUE CABLE/TV (Rabbit ears) before 1984 WOW!!!!!!! (On VHS or Beta)

Written By: nally on 10/13/18 at 7:55 pm

Wow all you guys that have stuff recorded from ANALOGUE CABLE/TV (Rabbit ears) before 1984 WOW!!!!!!! (On VHS or Beta)

I know, that's amazing, huh? My family didn't have any recording unit(s) back then, but if we did, I'm not sure how long it would've worked.

And yes, we went through at least a few "Rabbit Ears" contraptions as well. (In fact, our old zenith tv had Rabbit Ears built in. In early 1989 we replaced it with a remote-control TV which did NOT come with R.E.; we had to buy a separate unit for that.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/13/18 at 8:52 pm

I've actually got some VHS tapes that I acquired in the 80s that were things taped from TV as far back as 1971 and 1972. Things like TV appearances by John Lennon, or various musical performances by bands, and the like. (Most of which have now been officially released in one capacity or another,or can be found on Youtube, but back then they were rare treasures). I have to wonder how,  whoever these VHS bootleg tapes originated with, taped them back in the day. Somebody, somewhere had some kind of early recording device. And they were obviously taped from a TV, because sometimes they came with commercials and station identification  intact. The quality wasn't great, but this was mostly because they were copies of copies of copies, not because they weren't recorded well in the first place.

For those of you not familiar with "copies of copies of copies", in the pre-digital age, whenever you made a copy of something analog, be it a cassette or a VHS, it would "lose a generation" every time a copy was made from a copy. This resulted in a loss of quality. If you got one that was many generations down the line the quality would be poor.  Back in the 80s, when one was tracking down rarities like those mentioned above, the phrase "low generation" was a buzzword to be looked for.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/18 at 1:57 pm

Yeah, it's amazing when you look back at all the stuff you taped from TV.

Written By: nally on 10/15/18 at 12:03 am

Yeah, it's amazing when you look back at all the stuff you taped from TV.

that's right, it brings back lotsa memories.

Hopefully someday I'll get to watch mine on TV again sometime; if not then hopefully I can transfer their contents to DVD (or some digital form) sooner rather than later.

In fact, this afternoon I saw, on HSN, a device designed for that purpose! You can hook it up to your computer (and one end to your vcr) to help do the work.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/18 at 5:33 am

that's right, it brings back lotsa memories.

Hopefully someday I'll get to watch mine on TV again sometime; if not then hopefully I can transfer their contents to DVD (or some digital form) sooner rather than later.

In fact, this afternoon I saw, on HSN, a device designed for that purpose! You can hook it up to your computer (and one end to your vcr) to help do the work.

One day, I may have to transfer mine to DVD.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/15/18 at 11:50 am

DID YOU KNOW....

VHS stands for Video Cassette Single

VCR stands for Video Viewing Box

Written By: nally on 10/15/18 at 12:05 pm

One day, I may have to transfer mine to DVD.

I think we all will...or they will forever be unviewable.

Written By: Alexander1956 on 10/16/18 at 9:33 am

My first wedding. June 1983

Written By: Howard on 10/16/18 at 9:41 am

My first wedding. June 1983

You've been married for 35 years?

Written By: Alexander1956 on 10/16/18 at 9:58 am

You've been married for 35 years?

LOL! No, that was my first wife and we got a divorce in 85. And then I got married again, to my second wife, in 1988. Had 3 kids and got divorced in 2001. So I've been married twice and divorced twice.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/16/18 at 7:51 pm

DID YOU KNOW....

VHS stands for Video Cassette Single

VCR stands for Video Viewing Box

Thats wrong buddy.......

VHS stands for Vertical Helical Scan

VCR stands for Video Cassette Recorder :)

Written By: Howard on 10/17/18 at 3:00 pm

LOL! No, that was my first wife and we got a divorce in 85. And then I got married again, to my second wife, in 1988. Had 3 kids and got divorced in 2001. So I've been married twice and divorced twice.

So you've been a busy man?  :o

Written By: nally on 10/18/18 at 12:44 am

It would seem he was.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/18/18 at 12:51 pm

Thats wrong buddy.......

VHS stands for Vertical Helical Scan

VCR stands for Video Cassette Recorder :)

I remember when I used to work at a VCR store, my VHS told me it was a Video Cassette Single.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/20/18 at 9:58 am

Well I suppose it is... Like my tape of BLUE STREAK,its a single (No other movies on that tape)

Written By: Alexander1956 on 10/22/18 at 4:27 pm

Yeah, I guess you could say that.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/22/18 at 5:24 pm

We have so many of them. They are all in storage, in a huge box that stinks...I have no idea why ;D. Anyway, they are mainly horror films. So they've been in storage for years now!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/18 at 9:13 am

We have so many of them. They are all in storage, in a huge box that stinks...I have no idea why ;D. Anyway, they are mainly horror films. So they've been in storage for years now!
The aroma from deterioration of the tape?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/23/18 at 9:40 am

The aroma from deterioration of the tape?

I don't think deteriorating magnetic tape has much of an odor. The smell may possibly be from mold. Maybe the box got wet at some point?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/18 at 9:54 am

I don't think deteriorating magnetic tape has much of an odor. The smell may possibly be from mold. Maybe the box got wet at some point?
Even dry rot?

Written By: Dude111 on 10/23/18 at 12:12 pm

Is it possible to clear mold off of tapes once it gets on them??

Yesterday I again saw a couple tapes with WHITE on the tape inside @ salvation army ... Possible to open it and run it thru water?? (THEN LET IT DRY)

Written By: Howard on 10/23/18 at 2:02 pm

Could've been left in a closet for many years, that could be the smell from it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/18 at 2:07 pm

Could've been left in a closet for many years, that could be the smell from it.
...what else could have been in the closet?

Written By: Howard on 10/23/18 at 2:28 pm

...what else could have been in the closet?

moths or perhaps even dust.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/23/18 at 4:08 pm

I think it is mold. We haven't removed them from the storage though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/18 at 4:29 pm

The question is, how much damage can mould do to VHS tapes?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/23/18 at 6:05 pm

STAR WARS unaltered trilogies and the Lion king.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/24/18 at 5:15 am

Alot from what I hear.... I guess ya dont want alot of it getting in your player or you will have to open the unit and clean her out!!

Thats what I wondered above if taking the cartridges apart and cleaning the tape of the mold is possible which I do think it is.......

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/18 at 5:19 am

Alot from what I hear.... I guess ya dont want alot of it getting in your player or you will have to open the unit and clean her out!!

Thats what I wondered above if taking the cartridges apart and cleaning the tape of the mold is possible which I do think it is.......
Sounds like a lot of manual work to be done?

Written By: nally on 10/24/18 at 3:12 pm

Sounds like a lot of manual work to be done?

And it could happen if you store them in an unsuitable place.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/18 at 3:22 pm

Why not?

Written By: Howard on 10/24/18 at 3:23 pm

I think it could be dust too that might ruin tapes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 1:04 am

btw, it today in 2008, the Distribution Video Audio, Inc. shipped its final shipment of VHS tapes to stores. The company was the last major United States supplier of pre-recorded VHS tapes.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/18 at 2:48 pm

btw, it today in 2008, the Distribution Video Audio, Inc. shipped its final shipment of VHS tapes to stores. The company was the last major United States supplier of pre-recorded VHS tapes.

That's sad.  :(

Written By: nally on 11/01/18 at 5:34 pm

A bit late for this, but... since it has now been 10 years since this occurred, I guess you won't find any VHS tapes in any stores now!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 5:52 pm

A bit late for this, but... since it has now been 10 years since this occurred, I guess you won't find any VHS tapes in any stores now!
Even the charity shops do not stock them.

Written By: nally on 11/01/18 at 6:11 pm

Even the charity shops do not stock them.

Didn't think so.

In fact, even the public libraries are gradually getting rid of them.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/18 at 3:01 pm

most likely at some garage sales or perhaps even a flea market.

Written By: Dude111 on 11/07/18 at 1:03 am

Only in thrift stores or online......... Its sad Nally :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 8:52 am

Not the charity shops over here.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/18 at 3:19 pm

How about garage sales? ???

Written By: Dude111 on 11/07/18 at 9:16 pm

Yup garage sales can be a goldmine also!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/08/18 at 2:52 pm

Yup garage sales can be a goldmine also!!!!!!

people like to collect old VHS tapes too.

Written By: nally on 11/29/18 at 7:24 pm

people like to collect old VHS tapes too.
Sure, they can be collected...but will they work?  I suppose they might if you still have a machine that can play 'em.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/29/18 at 7:46 pm

Sure, they can be collected...but will they work?  I suppose they might if you still have a machine that can play 'em.

I don't see why not. I have lots of old audio cassettes and VHS tapes that work just fine, and occasionally I buy used ones I come across in thrift shops. Unless they get chewed up those things last a long time. It turns out they last far longer than CDs, which are subject to disc rot and other horrors and just suddenly stop working. That happens to me all the time. CDs are far more imperfect than the original way they were marketed to us which was that they were indestructible. It was a pack of lies.

Written By: Dude111 on 11/30/18 at 1:28 am

I dont know why people call them OLD . I do not!! (Cassettes,etc)

This is goregous analog material and its just as beautiful as it was then.. EVEN MORE SO NOW :)

Written By: Howard on 11/30/18 at 7:15 am

I haven't used mine in so many years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 10:48 am

I don't see why not. I have lots of old audio cassettes and VHS tapes that work just fine, and occasionally I buy used ones I come across in thrift shops. Unless they get chewed up those things last a long time. It turns out they last far longer than CDs, which are subject to disc rot and other horrors and just suddenly stop working. That happens to me all the time. CDs are far more imperfect than the original way they were marketed to us which was that they were indestructible. It was a pack of lies.
I passed a few onto a friend of mine, and he is happy with them.

Check for new replies or respond here...