inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What caused adult contemporary music to die out?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/16/16 at 6:14 pm

I notice that there's a lot less of it now compared to the 80s or 90s.

Subject: Re: What caused adult contemporary music to die out?

Written By: nally on 07/16/16 at 6:19 pm

I notice that there's a lot less of it now compared to the 80s or 90s.

Probably due to other styles of pop becoming more and more popular. I would say sometime in the early 2000s there wasn't really much of it anymore.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/16/16 at 6:22 pm

Probably due to other styles of pop becoming more and more popular. I would say sometime in the early 2000s there wasn't really much of it anymore.

Do you think it will ever make a comeback?

Written By: nally on 07/16/16 at 6:24 pm

Do you think it will ever make a comeback?

Hard to say at this point. Musical styles can take on any sort of direction.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/17/16 at 3:52 pm

It seems like Adele is the only artist these days who truly counts.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/17/16 at 3:53 pm

Michael Buble was around. Have no idea why he faded.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/16 at 4:11 pm

But isn't Adele popular with everyone?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/17/16 at 5:03 pm

But isn't Adele popular with everyone?

Yeah but the people at her concerts are typically women in their 40s and older.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/16 at 5:07 pm

Yeah but the people at her concerts are typically women in their 40s and older.

Well, I suppose that makes sense. Given that most of her fans are my mom's age.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/18/16 at 7:27 am

I believe it was the lack of any new innovations. It died out in a similar way that its predecessors, known as "Beautiful Music" and "Crooners" died out in the 1970s, although Tony Bennett is one of the few remaining links to that era. That said, many of these artists still tour, often at reasonable prices (though Barbra Streisand can still cost you a pretty penny), but are often seen as releasing an album just once, maybe twice a decade just for the sake of wooing fans. Its a shame since most of this music is a nice unoffensive way without worrying about crude lyrics or loud annoying sounds that most music nowadays contains. I often associate late-period adult contemporary with David Foster and Diane Warren, just listen to their hits and you'll see what I mean. I often referred to it as "shopping mall" music since the genre seemed to peak when enclosed shopping malls were doing so too. 

Written By: nally on 07/18/16 at 2:07 pm

I believe it was the lack of any new innovations. It died out in a similar way that its predecessors, known as "Beautiful Music" and "Crooners" died out in the 1970s, although Tony Bennett is one of the few remaining links to that era. That said, many of these artists still tour, often at reasonable prices (though Barbra Streisand can still cost you a pretty penny), but are often seen as releasing an album just once, maybe twice a decade just for the sake of wooing fans. Its a shame since most of this music is a nice unoffensive way without worrying about crude lyrics or loud annoying sounds that most music nowadays contains. I often associate late-period adult contemporary with David Foster and Diane Warren, just listen to their hits and you'll see what I mean. I often referred to it as "shopping mall" music since the genre seemed to peak when enclosed shopping malls were doing so too.

Good post. I think you might have a point here.

Written By: Ripley on 07/18/16 at 3:34 pm

I miss when it was great. Back in the 90's, growing up the two best stations were one that playing current/top 40 and the adult contemporary one. It was great. Now the later is still around after about 30 years and they still play a lot of it from back in their hey day. So its mostly 2002 and before. A lot of softer music there too but I notice lately there is a bunch of current top 40 and it stinks. I don't like 99% of the music on top 40. Any current releases I listen to are underground or big artists from years back who just aren't popular anyway. So I mainly stick to late 70's through 2003. But I think 2002 was the stopping point. Now its mostly pop or crappy mainstream rock that's popular. Or Lil Wayne, drake and their labelmates. I can't stand hip hop/rap now. Nothing like it was.

Check for new replies or respond here...