inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top Five Favortie Summers of All Time!

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/18/16 at 8:33 am

Everyone has their favorite summers, and their least favorite. What summers happen to be your top 5 favorite by year?

My top 5 are

Subject: Re: Top Five Favortie Summers of All Time!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/18/16 at 8:48 am

My top 5 favorite summers.

2007: Discovered YouTube, along with going to sleepaway camp for the first time. It was pretty sweet.
2005: Was okay, but I loved watching TV at the time. Especially when I mostly watched Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon mostly (although for CN, it was just for Tickle U).
2008: Really great summer, along with having a fun time at sleepaway camp again.
2011: Mostly just watching YouTube and other crap.
2010: Had a fun time at sleepaway camp, and yadda yadda.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/18/16 at 9:42 am

1. 2006
2. 2011
3. 2004
4. 2007
5. 2002

Honorable Mentions: 2003, 2009, & 2014

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/16 at 10:13 am

1. 1996
2. 1997
3. 1999
4. 2004
5. 2003

Written By: 2001 on 08/18/16 at 10:19 am

1. 1997 - Amsterdam, stayed over at cousin's house for like a month
2. 1998 - London and Athens
3. 2003 - Manchester, parents taking me out everyday to all kinds of places, swimming and ice skating camp
4. 2001 - Singapore/Malaysia
5. 2011 - university orientation
6. 2012 - Gangnam Style lol

Written By: violet_shy on 08/18/16 at 11:47 am

♡ 1993
♡ 1997
♡ 2005
♡ 2006
♡ 2007

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/18/16 at 12:26 pm

This one was kind of tough.

1. 1996 - It was close but I had to go with '96 for the top spot. Our parents took us to Universal Studios that summer, which is my single favorite vacation of all-time, plus you had the Olympics right here in Georgia with the torch relay coming (almost literally) through our backyard. The Independence Day hype was awesome, too. Throw in Golden Age Nickelodeon, the Nintendo 64 launching and the Arch Deluxe, and you have a summer for the ages.

2. 1998 - Summer of '98 was just peak childhood in every way. Hanging out with friends, riding our bikes until dusk, fishing down at the town lake, stopping by my cousin's house to play his new PlayStation. No big vacation like '96, but just awesome times. Great summer for sports, too. I remember watching Michael Jordan's Last Shot in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, and following the daily updates on the Mark McGwire-Sammy Sosa home run chase.

3. 2003 - Just an awesome high school summer. We took my second favorite vacation of all-time to the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee (my first time going there), and had an incredible week. Back home it was hanging out with friends, watching music videos by the likes of The White Stripes and OutKast on Fuse, and attending some old-school Halo LAN parties at my friend's huge rec room. I also got my drivers license that July, and got my first official job.

4. 1994 - Great summer to be a kid. SNES vs. Genesis, and Sonic vs. Mario were running wild. The TMNT fad was dying out, but this was truly the Summer of the Power Rangers, as the show's first season came to an end and the toys and action figures were flying off store shelves. Pogs and Goosebumps were becoming a thing, but hadn't quite reached the saturation point yet. Saw both The Lion King and The Mask that July, too. Really, the ultimate "'90s kid" summer.

5. 2006 - My first full summer in college, and my first full summer on InThe00s. ;) It was certainly a fun time with the parties and college life. Also, I finally got broadband internet, so '06 was the first summer where the computer really began to dominate my life the way it does now. YouTube and MySpace were exploding, while Facebook and Twitter were around, but not nearly as well known. My last summer of buying music on CD, as I finally got an MP3 player that winter. Didn't take any real formal "vacation" that year, but was having way too much fun to care.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/18/16 at 1:21 pm

1. 2006 - Between my epic first DDR simfile competition (DDR OSC 5), making several trips to the arcade to play In the Groove, and enjoying the new house our family had just moved to, ten years ago was a really phenomenal time in my life.

2. 2005 - I spent most of this summer playing lots of Dance Dance Revolution (both at home, as well as the arcade), discovering new music (particularly the Beastie Boys, 80s Metallica, and the Offspring), and attending some really fun summer classes. It was a really chill and exciting time for me.

3. 2008 - I first watched most episodes of the Angry Video Game Nerd up to that point this summer, making it a truly exquisite period for watching online videos (the post-2006 episodes were still only on GameTrailers and not YouTube). Intermix some running with that, and you have a pretty solid summer.

4. 1998 - This gets special mention because it was during this summer that I was introduced to Nintedo for the first time, and needless to say, laying my eyes upon Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 just absolutely blew me away and I was so eager to own a Nintendo 64 someday. I also watched Mulan in the theater, probably the time a Walt Disney Animation Studios movie made the greatest impact on me when it was brand new, aside maybe from Hercules. I also played lots of great educational tools on my computer and watched my dad play games of Age of Empires (which he likes to call "Rolgan," like the "Rogan" voice clip that plays when you select a villager). On top of everything, I had a particularly great birthday, which took place at my local kid's gym from the late 90s (funny bit of trivia - my 6th birthday party was on the same day Kid Rock released Devil without a Cause and KoRn came out with Follow the Leader).

5. 2010 - Not too much to mention, just an all around happy summer, during which I went running for the upcoming cross country season, took some great trombone lessons, and went to a cool summer jazz camp.

My worst summers would be 2015, for all the horrible experiences I had with online dating, and 2011, due to that being when my high school crush explicitly told me to stay away from her.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/18/16 at 6:10 pm

4. 1998 - This gets special mention because it was during this summer that I was introduced to Nintedo for the first time, and needless to say, laying my eyes upon Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 just absolutely blew me away and I was so eager to own a Nintendo 64 someday. I also watched Mulan in the theater, probably the time a Walt Disney Animation Studios movie made the greatest impact on me when it was brand new, aside maybe from Hercules. I also played lots of great educational tools on my computer and watched my dad play games of Age of Empires (which he likes to call "Rolgan," like the "Rogan" voice clip that plays when you select a villager). On top of everything, I had a particularly great birthday, which took place at my local kid's gym from the late 90s (funny bit of trivia - my 6th birthday party was on the same day Kid Rock released Devil without a Cause and KoRn came out with Follow the Leader).

Hint, hint.  :-\\

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 08/18/16 at 7:04 pm

TRIGGERED It says "favortie" instead of favorite. Oh yeah, my list.

1. 2004: I got a PS2 for my 10th birthday. I felt like such a big kid because I saw a PG-13 film in theaters (Spider-Man 2).
2. 2015: I spent a LOT of family time in the Summer of '15. It was a fun summer-long reunion.
3. 2006: I burnt cigarettes xD. I moved to a different state.
4. 1998: I stayed underwater for 10 seconds, which is an hour for a four year old.
5. 2008: Posted a video on YouTube about "cats licking bags". It got 200 views before it died out. The channel and the video have been deleted......interesting.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/18/16 at 8:30 pm

Seriously? Do you guys really not realize it's my birthday today? I thought I had made it obvious before.

Written By: 2001 on 08/18/16 at 9:03 pm

Seriously? Do you guys really not realize it's my birthday today? I thought I had made it obvious before.

:o :o

Happy Birthday!

Can't say I didn't miss the hint  :-[ Hope you have fun!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/16 at 9:08 pm

@Infinity,

you're not on the calendar. So that may be one reason why people don't remember.

Also, subtly escapes me.  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 08/18/16 at 9:23 pm

Happy 24th BIG birthday!

and I was too lazy to think about it too....

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/18/16 at 10:30 pm

1995-2002 would have to be my favorites. They all rank equally as that was my era of skateboarding/teenage shenanigans/warped tour/pop punk fun.

Happy birthday, dude!

Subject: Re: Top Five Favorite Summers of All Time!

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/19/16 at 6:32 am

Everyone has their favorite summers, and their least favorite. What summers happen to be your top 5 favorite by year?

My top 5 are

EDIT: Huh? Didnt even post?? Just did it automatically for me.... Whatever... lol  ::) ;D

Written By: muppethammer26 on 08/19/16 at 9:29 am

Top 5 for me:

1. 2012
2. 2005
3. 2006
4. 2010
5. 2015

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 9:39 am

Happy belated Birthday, Infinity.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/19/16 at 12:40 pm

Happy birthday, dudette!

Fixed that for ya.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 1:47 pm

Happy Birthday Infinity. :)

Written By: #Infinity on 08/19/16 at 3:09 pm

Fixed that for ya.  8)

The word "dude" is casual enough that it's pretty much applicable to anybody, regardless of their gender. Technically, "dudette" is more politically correct towards a woman, but sometimes, you just don't need such linguistic precision to understand where somebody is coming from! So long as Jordan isn't specifically calling me "he" or "him," I'm a-okay! :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/16 at 3:36 pm

1980-did summer stock. WONDERFUL summer.

1998-the year I moved in with Carlos. We took a cross-country trip. First stop was Tulsa for my grandmother's 90th birthday party and then out to California-my first trip to the west coast. One of my sister (who we stayed with in Tulsa) worked at the Disney Store and gave us a couple of tickets to Disneyland (bucket list). We stayed with Carlos' sister in LA & I met his cousin for the first time. Went to Catalina for the first time.

2003-Planning our wedding & first grandchild was born.

2013-Another cross-country trip. Went to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon for the first time. And went to the Winchester Mystery House (bucket list).

2015-One of my sisters, her daughter, and their sig others came for a visit (but it was super short  :\'( :\'( ). Went to Sturbridge Villiage in Mass. Took a trip around New Hampshire and visited with my aunt & uncle. 

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/16 at 3:53 pm

1. 1802
2. 200 BC
3. 384 AD
4. 1597
5. 1946

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/19/16 at 5:31 pm

The word "dude" is casual enough that it's pretty much applicable to anybody, regardless of their gender. Technically, "dudette" is more politically correct towards a woman, but sometimes, you just don't need such linguistic precision to understand where somebody is coming from! So long as Jordan isn't specifically calling me "he" or "him," I'm a-okay! :P

Welp! Then I guess my work "fixing" wasn't needed much. Although I think Jordan probably just made a typo or mistake as  get the idea that he already figured your gender. But anyways it's all great that you're not bothered by the idea of something calling ya "dude" (and in all honesty I'm not sure on how many people use the word "dudette" anyways).

1. 1802
2. 200 BC
3. 384 AD
4. 1597
5. 1946

It's official! Millenium is a time traveler from the distant past and future.

Oh right and while I'm topic I'll give my top 5 summers.

#1. 2003
#2. 2005
#3. 2000
#4. 2007
#5. 1999

1995-2002 would have to be my favorites. They all rank equally as that was my era of skateboarding/teenage shenanigans/warped tour/pop punk fun.

The days where Jordan would probably make fun of you for not being xtreme enough.  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 5:40 pm

1. 1802
2. 200 BC
3. 384 AD
4. 1597
5. 1946

How does 1946 feel, MM07? Weird? ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/16 at 5:41 pm

Welp! Then I guess my work "fixing" wasn't needed much. Although I think Jordan probably just made a typo or mistake as  get the idea that he already figured your gender. But anyways it's all great that you're not bothered by the idea of something calling ya "dude" (and in all honesty I'm not sure on how many people use the word "dudette" anyways).

It's official! Millenium is a time traveler from the distant past and future.

Oh right and while I'm topic I'll give my top 5 summers.

#1. 2003
#2. 2005
#3. 2000
#4. 2007
#5. 1999

The days where Jordan would probably make fun of you for not being xtreme enough.  8)

Time travel is very edgy with the hip, intense crowd.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/16 at 5:42 pm

How does 1946 feel, MM07? Weird? ;D

Not as weird as 2016.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 5:43 pm

Not as weird as 2016.  :(

Did you saw any cool stuff happening at the time?  8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/19/16 at 5:48 pm

Oh. I forgot you said it was on the 18th. My bad, girl! HBD :). I hope it was fantastic!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 5:48 pm

Oh. I forgot you said it was on the 18th. My bad, girl! HBD :). I hope it was fantastic!

You weren't the only one who forgot her birthday. ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/19/16 at 5:52 pm

Time travel is very edgy with the hip, intense crowd.  8)

Hell yeah  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/16 at 5:53 pm

Hell yeah  8)

;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/19/16 at 5:59 pm

;D

I just found a real life image that shows Millenium in his time traverling adventures.
http://themetapicture.com/media/cool-time-traveler-Russia-old-picture.jpg

Looks like you've been spotted throughout history, mate.  8)

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/19/16 at 6:01 pm

Anyways on topic back when I was a kid-teen the summers felt like special times to me. I'm sure it was like that for everyone here. No school or anything. Just sitting back and spending your time off. To me my favorite summer was in 2003 due to being able to meet my family members. What made this one cool was that I ended up meeting cousins, aunts, and uncles that I didn't even know I had. I spent an entire with them and boy it was fun.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 6:02 pm

I just found a real life image that shows Millenium in his time traverling adventures.
http://themetapicture.com/media/cool-time-traveler-Russia-old-picture.jpg

Looks like you've been spotted throughout history, mate.  8)

All I see is a white box.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/19/16 at 6:23 pm

All I see is a white box.

How strange. The forum must be acting up again.

It was a link to this image. http://themetapicture.com/media/cool-time-traveler-Russia-old-picture.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 08/19/16 at 6:28 pm

You weren't the only one who forgot her birthday. ;D

I knew it was in August, but I didn't know which day. Speaking of August birthdays, I think Jordan, Toon and bchris02 also have August birthdays. Where you guys at? I see you.

https://m.popkey.co/29e9de/VlMyV.gif

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/19/16 at 6:29 pm

I knew it was in August, but I didn't know which day. Speaking of August birthdays, I think Jordan, Toon and bchris02 also have August birthdays. Where you guys at? I see you.

Slowpoke. Part time detective agent.  8)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/19/16 at 7:39 pm

Fixed that for ya.  8)

Nah, I call everyone dude. It's been unisex ever since it's entered my vocabulary. Like... I even call my wife dude sometimes and she doesn't mind. ;D Dudette sounds pretty lame, anyway.

You got it! Just knowing California, anyone, whether they're man or woman, has probably been called dude more times than one can count! Hope you had a good birthday. ;)

There's a good chance that probably happened somewhere along those lines. 8)

Do you have to remind me how close to 40 I am? My birthday's like... Next week!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 7:43 pm

You got it! Just knowing California, anyone, whether they're man or woman, has probably been called dude more times than one can count! Hope you had a good birthday. ;)

I'm pretty sure California seems like the surfer state, especially when you go to Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/19/16 at 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure California seems like the surfer state, especially when you go to Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Pretty much as long as a beach is near by but different areas usually have some pretty varied identities while still feeling very Californian. Moreso LA than SF. There's still some around there but it's seen as more of an... Uh... "intellectual" area since it's a part of Silicon Valley. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 7:57 pm

Pretty much as long as a beach is near by but different areas usually have some pretty varied identities while still feeling very Californian. Moreso LA than SF. There's still some around there but it's seen as more of an... Uh... "intellectual" area since it's a part of Silicon Valley.

Oh. I guess there's that. Especially with San Francisco being all techno with the computer companies.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/19/16 at 8:50 pm

That's interesting. You almost share a birthday with Bill Clinton, who was born on August 19th. You do share a birthday with Robert Redford, Patrick Swayze, Denis Leary and Malcolm-Jamal Warner.

At any rate, hope you had a good one. :)

Written By: #Infinity on 08/19/16 at 11:06 pm

That's interesting. You almost share a birthday with Bill Clinton, who was born on August 19th. You do share a birthday with Robert Redford, Patrick Swayze, Denis Leary and Malcolm-Jamal Warner.

Add to that Edward Norton, Christian Slater, Frances Cobain, Meriwether Lewis, and Andy Samberg!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/19/16 at 11:34 pm

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/19/16 at 11:36 pm

Also Happy birthday Jacqueline!!  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 08/20/16 at 10:45 am

1. 2006 - best summer of my childhood, but what makes this one special is all the events that occurred; as soon as 4th grade was over, I was surprised with a Nintendo DS and Mario Kart DS which was the best handheld Mario Kart game hands down, including my first experience with online gaming too; went to YMCA camp for a whole week which was kinda a pain but participated in a lot of activities; went to Savannah, GA for the first time; then later in the summer my sister and I were surprised to a trip to Orlando, FL for Disney World and we stayed in this huge muti-room Double Tree Hotel for a whole week and went to ALL of the parks, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM Studios and Epcot Theme Park, I went on so many rides, took so many photos with classic Disney characters, and it was a fun experience being 10 years old at the time; after Disney World was over, it was the first family reunion I had ever experienced, and then we went to the Georgia Aquarium for the first time which had just opened back in Fall 2005, and it was the world's largest aquarium at the time. Everything about this summer couldn't have been any better for me. It was sad when it ended and I had to go back for my final year of elementary school, but it was a blast.

2. 2011 - one of the best summers of my life; got my learner's permit; went to Ohio to meet up with some cousins I've never seen before including going to two of their HS graduations; went to New York City, NY for the first time ever visited/toured so many places, went on the subways, went to a family reunion, ate at some good restaurants, and bought a lot of stuff; oh, and did I forget to mention how great the music stations were at the time too?

3. 2004 - saying goodbye to a great 2nd grade class filled with friends/acquaintances; went to Sarasota, Florida twice; my first plane ride ever which was to Jamaica for 4 days and still the only time I've been out of the country my whole life; addicted to my Gamecube with games like Mario Kart Double Dash, F-Zero GX, Hot Wheels World Race, and much more; kid stations and other TV stations were really balanced throughout this summer.

4. 2007 - had fun at Washington, DC; Huntsville, Alabama U.S. Space & Rocket Center; Savannah, Georgia again; the most trips I ever went on during a summer; the peak of Nintendo DS Lite

5. 2002 - ring bearer at my aunt's wedding, afterwards got in the limousine for a fun wedding reception, and stayed in a huge hotel that was like a big maze to my little head; took swimming lessons; watching Cartoon Network & Toon Disney all summer long; got into Hot Wheels for the first time

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/16 at 5:28 pm

Nah, I call everyone dude. It's been unisex ever since it's entered my vocabulary. Like... I even call my wife dude sometimes and she doesn't mind. ;D Dudette sounds pretty lame, anyway.

There's a good chance that probably happened somewhere along those lines. 8)

Do you have to remind me how close to 40 I am? My birthday's like... Next week!

You're still in your early 30s!

The Canadian version of dude is bud. Female is budette.

At any rate, hope you had a good one. :)

Bill Clinton turned septuagenarian!?  :o I hope Godking lives to a 100, he such a good storyteller  :(

WlDlCXGNpk0

Check for new replies or respond here...