inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did "participation trophies" become a thing?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/22/16 at 11:33 am

I got them all throughout elementary school in the late '90s and early '00s when I played park district sports. My older brother got them in the mid '90s. I imagine they were petty common by the late '80s if not earlier.

I ask because the whole participation trophy thing has been used by Gen X'ers to disparage Millennials but I'm thinking late wave Gen X probably received them too.

Subject: Re: When did "participation trophies" become a thing?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 12:04 pm

The only participation trophy that I got was when I played Little League Baseball. I didn't really care for it that much.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/22/16 at 1:55 pm

I have read about that and it seems to come from the fact that this generation's mantra was "Everybody is a winner and there are no losers." 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 2:02 pm

I have read about that and it seems to come from the fact that this generation's mantra was "Everybody is a winner and there are no losers."

I think it seems to be like that since the early 90s, when people with disabilities had more rights thanks to the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act. They probably thought that those who had mental and/or physical disabilities should've gotten more respect, since they probably couldn't achieve their dreams if they wanted to be athletes. Although they did something like that with the Special Olympics.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/22/16 at 3:08 pm

I never got them as a kid. Ever.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 3:23 pm

You're lucky. It doesn't seem important to have one of those participation trophies.

Written By: 2001 on 08/22/16 at 5:16 pm

Same. I thought it was a Gen Z thing  :-X Although thinking about it, my sister never got any participation trophies either.

I did get some most improved/best effort awards though. Does that count? They're not participation awards though, since only one person gets them.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 08/22/16 at 5:45 pm

Oh, they've been around since.....I don't know maybe the 1940s.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/22/16 at 5:49 pm

They rejected my participation.  :-X  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 5:52 pm

Same. I thought it was a Gen Z thing  :-X Although thinking about it, my sister never got any participation trophies either.

I did get some most improved/best effort awards though. Does that count? They're not participation awards though, since only one person gets them.

I don't think awards like that actually counts. Participation awards are something that they give out to everybody. Like of how the Special Olympics give medals to everybody who participated.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/22/16 at 10:26 pm

I hear older folks bashing Millennials about this all the time, but I've honestly never gotten a participation trophy in my entire life. We had "Field Day" competitions every spring when I was in elementary school and the only kids that got a trophy/ribbon were those that came in first place. Even when we'd play kickball during recess the whole "not keeping score" thing never came into play, and we always played a full game until one team defeated the other.

I really believe it's just one of the those things that bitter olds greatly exaggerate so they can criticize the younger generation.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/23/16 at 12:02 am

This here was a popular song in the late 70s, so I guess the concept was already there back then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvqzyBlJ0rg

Written By: aja675 on 08/23/16 at 12:38 am

I got one in 2005 at a bowling contest.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 7:18 am

I hear older folks bashing Millennials about this all the time, but I've honestly never gotten a participation trophy in my entire life. We had "Field Day" competitions every spring when I was in elementary school and the only kids that got a trophy/ribbon were those that came in first place. Even when we'd play kickball during recess the whole "not keeping score" thing never came into play, and we always played a full game until one team defeated the other.

I really believe it's just one of the those things that bitter olds greatly exaggerate so they can criticize the younger generation.

Or maybe they just wanted to insult the younger generations, simply because they think participation trophies are for pussies or wimps, as they would call it.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/16 at 2:51 pm

Why not?

Written By: Howard on 08/23/16 at 2:51 pm

They rejected my participation.  :-X  :-X

Why was that? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/23/16 at 2:52 pm

I got one in 2005 at a bowling contest.

I got 3 awards when I was in my bowling league 15 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...