inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Nickelodeon's golden age start and end in your opinion?

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 09/06/16 at 6:14 pm

I'm leaning towards 1991-2004. But 2007 was the final year of their greatness.

Subject: Re: When did Nickelodeon's golden age start and end in your opinion?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 6:32 pm

I'm going to stick with 1991-2004. For one thing, Nickelodeon was really great during the 90s and early 2000s. They had a lot of inspirational cartoons (Doug, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Catdog, etc.) at the time, and it's no wonder why people who grew up with those cartoons became nostalgic for it after a while. Although, their last full year of greatness was 2008, since that was before Nickelodeon changed their iconic logo.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 09/06/16 at 6:44 pm

I'm going to stick with 1991-2004. For one thing, Nickelodeon was really great during the 90s and early 2000s. They had a lot of inspirational cartoons (Doug, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Catdog, etc.) at the time, and it's no wonder why people who grew up with those cartoons became nostalgic for it after a while. Although, their last full year of greatness was 2008, since that was before Nickelodeon changed their iconic logo.
I agree, the reason I said 2007 is because shows such as Drake & Josh, Neds Declassified, Danny Phantom, and Jimmy Neutron ended. And when the horror of iCarly started. 2008 is also a good "final year of greatness" because Avatar ended, Poof debuts, cheesy sitcoms and *butt humor cartoons start to appear.

*Of course Nick had butt humor cartoons before '08, but besides Ren and Stimpy and sometimes SpongeBob it did not happen often.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 6:57 pm

I agree, the reason I said 2007 is because shows such as Drake & Josh, Neds Declassified, Danny Phantom, and Jimmy Neutron ended. And when the horror of iCarly started. 2008 is also a good "final year of greatness" because Avatar ended, Poof debuts, cheesy sitcoms and *butt humor cartoons start to appear.

Yeah. When Avatar ended, that's when Nickelodeon started to fall off from its legacy.

*Of course Nick had butt humor cartoons before '08, but besides Ren and Stimpy and sometimes SpongeBob it did not happen often.

There was also a few butt jokes on other cartoons, but like you said, they weren't prevalent.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/06/16 at 7:48 pm

Nicks golden age truly ended when Real Monsters ended, Lori Beth left All That, Dil's introduction to Rugrats, and the premieres of Cat Dog, Wild Thorn Berries, etc. So 1998.
I have no clue why yall are taking it to 2004.  1998-2004 was the silver age of the network, The golden age was LONG over by that point. Maybe it depends on age. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 8:15 pm

Nicks golden age truly ended when Real Monsters ended, Lori Beth left All That, Dil's introduction to Rugrats, and the premieres of Cat Dog, Wild Thorn Berries, etc. So 1998.
I have no clue why yall are taking it to 2004.  1998-2004 was the silver age of the network, The golden age was LONG over by that point. Maybe it depends on age. ;D

Nickelodeon was really great when CatDog, Wild Thornberrys, and the Dil era of Rugrats was around. Especially when shows like Rugrats was still around until 2004. Although, I think I could get why Nick was in its silver age because of Spongebob in '99. Although, Nick was still good with Seasons 1-3 Spongebob. Although Seasons 4 and 5 were still okay.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 09/06/16 at 8:24 pm

Didn't like Real Monsters as much as other people in my age group did. Catdog was OK, Thormberries was good, Dil is a meme in my mind. Mostly because he "ruined" Rugrats. Although I still like Rugrats with Dil in the mix.

Written By: Late 2000s Kid on 09/06/16 at 8:38 pm

2010 when they aired that crap victorious and fanboy and Chum chum.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 8:42 pm

2010 when they aired that crap victorious and fanboy and Chum chum.

Fanboy and Chum Chum actually premiered in late 2009. But you're right about Victorious airing in 2010.

Written By: Late 2000s Kid on 09/06/16 at 8:48 pm

Fanboy and Chum Chum actually premiered in late 2009. But you're right about Victorious airing in 2010.
Oh

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/16 at 9:38 pm

1991-1997/8 sounds about right when talking about the Golden Age. 1998-2004 is Silver Age to me although I'd extend it to 2005 since Avatar released that year and it ended up being the highest rated cartoon of the 2000s and Nick history.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/06/16 at 10:03 pm

1991-1997/8 sounds about right when talking about the Golden Age. 1998-2004 is Silver Age to me although I'd extend it to 2005 since Avatar released that year and it ended up being the highest rated cartoon of the 2000s and Nick history.

Avatar was a classic.... But 2005 was definitely not the silver age Nick anymore. Rugrats, Cat Dog, Hey Arnold, and wild thorn berries already ended. Hell late 2004 was when the bronze age begun to me. That's when Danny Phantom, Unfabulous, Ned's declassified came out.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 09/06/16 at 10:23 pm

Avatar was a classic.... But 2005 was definitely not the silver age Nick anymore. Rugrats, Cat Dog, Hey Arnold, and wild thorn berries already ended. Hell late 2004 was when the bronze age begun to me. That's when Danny Phantom Unfabulous, Ned's declassified came out.
Are you saying these shows sucked or....are you saying that's just a start of a new era?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/07/16 at 12:22 am

Are you saying these shows sucked or....are you saying that's just a start of a new era?

It was the beginning of a new era... Those shows were GREAT!
But it was out with the old(Rugrats, Hey Arnold, CatDog, Wild Thorn berries,Amanda Show,) In with the new(Romeo, Drake and Josh, Ned, Unfabulous, Danny Phantom, Avatar)!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/16 at 7:27 am

2005 just sounds like a Silver Age year to me. For one thing, Rugrats, Wild Thornberrys, and Catdog (despite ending earlier that year) weren't around for it. I could see how 1991-2004 could be like the golden age, since that's when the Klasky Csupo era was around. Part 1 could be 1991-1997, while Part 2 could be 1998-2004. In 2005, there was barely any Klasky Csupo shows. So, it could be possible that it was like the Silver or Bronze ages to anyone.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/07/16 at 2:33 pm

IMO, it started in 1989 when Double Dare upgraded to Super Sloppy Double Dare, Hey Dude premiered, Don't Just Sit There and YCDTOTV were still on, Nick Jr. launched, with shows like Eureka's Castle, Maya the Bee, and others compared to the primitive Pinwheel era. You also had Make The Grade and Think Fast to round out the game shows, even if they had flaws.

1997 was the last year of Nick's Golden Age. All That had a slight shift in its cast, but you still had Lori Beth for one more year, and reruns of "classic" shows like Double Dare, Wild & Crazy Kids, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Guts disappeared that fall. Figure It Out though was the last classic game show, and Kenan & Kel was in the middle of its prime. The new Nicktoons of 1998 (Wild Thornberrys and another that I can't think of now), along with the lame game show "You're On" meant that the glory days of the channel were no longer there. I would still watch Nick sporadically until 2001, but it was increasingly uncool for me as I hit adulthood.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/16 at 3:19 pm

IMO, it started in 1989 when Double Dare upgraded to Super Sloppy Double Dare, Hey Dude premiered, Don't Just Sit There and YCDTOTV were still on, Nick Jr. launched, with shows like Eureka's Castle, Maya the Bee, and others compared to the primitive Pinwheel era. You also had Make The Grade and Think Fast to round out the game shows, even if they had flaws.

With that, I think Nick Jr's true golden age was 1989-1993. As somebody who watched shows from the silver/bronze age of Nick Jr. (1994-1998 and 1999-2004 respectively), it was kinda different compared to the age that you mentioned.

1997 was the last year of Nick's Golden Age. All That had a slight shift in its cast, but you still had Lori Beth for one more year, and reruns of "classic" shows like Double Dare, Wild & Crazy Kids, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Guts disappeared that fall. Figure It Out though was the last classic game show, and Kenan & Kel was in the middle of its prime. The new Nicktoons of 1998 (Wild Thornberrys and another that I can't think of now), along with the lame game show "You're On" meant that the glory days of the channel were no longer there. I would still watch Nick sporadically until 2001, but it was increasingly uncool for me as I hit adulthood.

I feel you. I envy you for not looking at modern Nickelodeon.

Written By: 2001 on 09/08/16 at 8:15 pm

I want to know why 90s kids hate Spongebob so much. The comedy in that show is unmatched!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/16 at 8:29 pm

I want to know why 90s kids hate Spongebob so much. The comedy in that show is unmatched!

For some reason, a lot of people believed it went down the crapper when Season 4 premiered. Although, I think it started to rot when it had the 6th season. But for 90s elitists, I think they just get upset over anything related to 2000s/2010s Nickelodeon, mostly because of nostalgia goggles.

Written By: 2001 on 09/08/16 at 8:33 pm

For some reason, a lot of people believed it went down the crapper when Season 4 premiered. Although, I think it started to rot when it had the 6th season. But for 90s elitists, I think they just get upset over anything related to 2000s/2010s Nickelodeon, mostly because of nostalgia goggles.

Is it controversial if I say Spongebob is the best Nickolodean show? ... I don't think that's controversial.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/16 at 9:21 pm

Is it controversial if I say Spongebob is the best Nickolodean show? ... I don't think that's controversial.

Well, it brought success for Nickelodeon in the 2000s. I don't think it's offensive to say that SpongeBob is the greatest Nick show. Pretty much everybody likes it, so it's not like people would start a riot just because somebody said that.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/09/16 at 1:14 am

For some reason, a lot of people believed it went down the crapper when Season 4 premiered.

Well, to be honest, I can understand why some people would believe so. Stephen Hillenburg, who was the creator of Spongebob and the executive producer of Seasons 1-3, resigned after the movie was released, but just after he had left, there were already a few noticeable differences within the show, such as the animation and the general humour. Also, for whatever reason, Spongebob's voice became more "higher-pitched" and his personality was gradually changing as well. He was becoming more and more "childish" and his intelligence also dropped down to Patrick's intelligence. Personally, I didn't mind the first 10 or 15 episodes of Season 4, but after "Best Day Ever", I started to dislike the episodes/show. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 6:23 am

Well, to be honest, I can understand why some people would believe so. Stephen Hillenburg, who was the creator of Spongebob and the executive producer of Seasons 1-3, resigned after the movie was released, but just after he had left, there were already a few noticeable differences within the show, such as the animation and the general humour. Also, for whatever reason, Spongebob's voice became more "higher-pitched" and his personality was gradually changing as well. He was becoming more and more "childish" and his intelligence also dropped down to Patrick's intelligence. Personally, I didn't mind the first 10 or 15 episodes of Season 4, but after "Best Day Ever", I started to dislike the episodes/show.

Well, people would usually think that "Best Day Ever" was one of the worst episodes of Spongebob, but it wasn't really that bad compared to later seasons. Hell, even Season 5 had some worse episodes than that one. "Roller Cowards" and "Picture Day" to name a couple.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/16 at 8:36 pm

1991-98. Most of the latter year didn't have the silver age shows other than CatDog.

With that, I think Nick Jr's true golden age was 1989-1993. As somebody who watched shows from the silver/bronze age of Nick Jr. (1994-1998 and 1999-2004 respectively), it was kinda different compared to the age that you mentioned.

I feel you. I envy you for not looking at modern Nickelodeon.
Uhhhhhhhh really? I think that period should be the prologue age.

I think you might envy me too. I may have watched Nick off and on up until a few years ago, but the last time I generally watched the channel was about 10 years ago.

Yeah, only seasons 1-4.

Well, people would usually think that "Best Day Ever" was one of the worst episodes of Spongebob, but it wasn't really that bad compared to later seasons. Hell, even Season 5 had some worse episodes than that one. "Roller Cowards" and "Picture Day" to name a couple.
Is it crazy how that episode is pretty much 10 years old?!I remember when they had previews for that and it was everywhere even at my school.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/14/16 at 9:19 pm

Is it crazy how that episode is pretty much 10 years old?!I remember when they had previews for that and it was everywhere even at my school.

Unfortunately, because Australia is so far behind the US and UK when it comes to new shows/episodes, I can't actually remember when the episode first premiered on Nickelodeon. However, I remember when the episode (and Season 4, itself) was still only recent and how it was popular for a short while afterwards. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the original movie is over 12 years old!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/16 at 9:50 pm

Unfortunately, because Australia is so far behind the US and UK when it comes to new shows/episodes, I can't actually remember when the episode first premiered on Nickelodeon. However, I remember when the episode (and Season 4, itself) was still only recent and how it was popular for a short while afterwards. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the original movie is over 12 years old!
I know man! Damn, even the show Spongebob himself is pushing 20! :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/15/16 at 3:51 pm

I have no problem with Spongebob myself, though I will admit that I haven't watched very many episodes made after 2001 or so. There were alot of '90s kids that stopped watching Nickelodeon around the turn of the millennium, so my guess would be that many of them probably just dismissed Spongebob without having ever really seen it.

As to the topic at hand. I would say that the "Golden Age" of Nick clearly started in 1991, with the debuts of Rugrats, Doug and several other key Golden era shows. Exactly where it ended is, to me, more complicated. You could argue that the Golden Age ended as early as 1996, when perhaps the two best Nick shows of the '90s (Rocko's Modern Life and The Adventures of Pete & Pete) were officially cancelled, but that would largely depend on whether or not you're one of those people who think that Hey Arnold! should be considered a Silver Age show (I consider it late Golden Age myself).

I think 1998 is the most obvious choice. Not only did you have the premiere of several shows that were clearly Silver Age (The Wild Thornberrys, CatDog, Cousin Skeeter, etc.) but also just an overall change in the "feel" of the network as the Y2K era started in earnest. Also, 1998 was the first year that it really seemed like Cartoon Network was starting to overtake Nick as the "cooler" kids network.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 4:22 pm

I have no problem with Spongebob myself, though I will admit that I haven't watched very many episodes made after 2001 or so. There were alot of '90s kids that stopped watching Nickelodeon around the turn of the millennium, so my guess would be that many of them probably just dismissed Spongebob without having ever really seen it.

As to the topic at hand. I would say that the "Golden Age" of Nick clearly started in 1991, with the debuts of Rugrats, Doug and several other key Golden era shows. Exactly where it ended is, to me, more complicated. You could argue that the Golden Age ended as early as 1996, when perhaps the two best Nick shows of the '90s (Rocko's Modern Life and The Adventures of Pete & Pete) were officially cancelled, but that would largely depend on whether or not you're one of those people who think that Hey Arnold! should be considered a Silver Age show (I consider it late Golden Age myself).

I think 1998 is the most obvious choice. Not only did you have the premiere of several shows that were clearly Silver Age (The Wild Thornberrys, CatDog, Cousin Skeeter, etc.) but also just an overall change in the "feel" of the network as the Y2K era started in earnest. Also, 1998 was the first year that it really seemed like Cartoon Network was starting to overtake Nick as the "cooler" kids network.

Maybe that's why Nickelodeon wasn't that cool towards 90s kids after they stopped watching in the late 90s. Or something like that. I mean, as a person who watched Nickelodeon throughout the 2000s, I preferred it more than Cartoon Network because it obviously had Spongebob at the time. Even in the late 2000s, where I watched Cartoon Network more, I would usually watch Nickelodeon a lot.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/15/16 at 8:44 pm

Whoa whoa whoa! It's been 12 freaking years since that movie released?  :o Heck a lot of Silver age Nick shows have aged. Danny Phantom aired 12 years ago. Chalkzone is 14 years old. Fairly Odd Parents is 15 years old (not counting pilots), and a lot of people already call shows like Invader Zim as retro.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/15/16 at 9:26 pm

Whoa whoa whoa! It's been 12 freaking years since that movie released?  :o Heck a lot of Silver age Nick shows have aged. Danny Phantom aired 12 years ago. Chalkzone is 14 years old. Fairly Odd Parents is 15 years old (not counting pilots), and a lot of people already call shows like Invader Zim as retro.

When you mention the age of those shows, it actually kinda makes me feel a little old. I don't even want to know what I'll feel like when shows like Rugrats and Doug start to turn 30 in a few years! :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 9:27 pm

Uhhhhhhhh really? I think that period should be the prologue age.

To be fair, Nick Jr was barely noticeable in the late 80s and early 90s. But it had a lot of interesting programming at the time. It was more popular thanks to Little Bear, Gullah Gullah Island, and Blue's Clues hitting the spot in the mid 90s. But to most people born in the mid 80s, it was probably known as the golden age for them.

I think you might envy me too. I may have watched Nick off and on up until a few years ago, but the last time I generally watched the channel was about 10 years ago.

For myself, it seemed tough for me when I stopped watching it, because the new logos were a disappointment.

Written By: wixness on 09/16/16 at 10:32 am

Start: IDK, too damn young to ever know of its grateness, but IDGAF. 90s live action shows were OK, but I won't really get the appeal of cartoons like Rugrats since I also don't get the appeal of Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy (both have a rather similar tone).

End: here in the UK, with the endless number of live action shows that was kicked off in the 2000s. To this day, I remain loyal to Cartoon Network and other channels besides Nick that made cartoons, even though I barely watch TV any more and hugely prefer the action cartoons of the 2000s. Only reason why Nick is worth watching is for Winx Club, but they butchered Season 5 and 6 to make the Winx look even more like 'tards.

Written By: 2001 on 09/16/16 at 11:45 am

When you mention the age of those shows, it actually kinda makes me feel a little old. I don't even want to know what I'll feel like when shows like Rugrats and Doug start to turn 30 in a few years! :o

Rugrats premier closer to Scooby Doo premier than to today  :o

Written By: mqg96 on 09/16/16 at 12:51 pm

I consider Nickelodeon's golden age to be from 1991-1997. In fact, the golden age of Nick and FOX Kids lasted from 1991-1997. 1997 was really that transitional period from Nickelodeon and FOX Kids being the top 2 kids channels to Cartoon Network and Kids WB being the top 2 kids channels, and by 1998 it was on the other side.

Start: IDK, too damn young to ever know of its grateness, but IDGAF. 90s live action shows were OK, but I won't really get the appeal of cartoons like Rugrats since I also don't get the appeal of Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy (both have a rather similar tone).

End: here in the UK, with the endless number of live action shows that was kicked off in the 2000s. To this day, I remain loyal to Cartoon Network and other channels besides Nick that made cartoons, even though I barely watch TV any more and hugely prefer the action cartoons of the 2000s. Only reason why Nick is worth watching is for Winx Club, but they butchered Season 5 and 6 to make the Winx look even more like 'tards.

Stop right here! The "I DON'T GIVE A ****" mentality! Go girl! Whatever age is best for you!

Written By: wixness on 09/16/16 at 1:00 pm

I consider Nickelodeon's golden age to be from 1991-1997. In fact, the golden age of Nick and FOX Kids lasted from 1991-1997. 1997 was really that transitional period from Nickelodeon and FOX Kids being the top 2 kids channels to Cartoon Network and Kids WB being the top 2 kids channels, and by 1998 it was on the other side.

Stop right here! The "I DON'T GIVE A ****" mentality! Go girl! Whatever age is best for you!

I'll troll the self-proclaimed 90s kids for liking me just because I was born in 1997. I don't really identify with 90s culture at all.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/16/16 at 1:31 pm

I'll troll the self-proclaimed 90s kids for liking me just because I was born in 1997. I don't really identify with 90s culture at all.

Even two years after I was into the nostalgia community, I still  don't give a f*ck about the greatness of the 90s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/16/16 at 4:48 pm

Even two years after I was into the nostalgia community, I still  don't give a f*ck about the greatness of the 90s.

And everyone already knows how I feel about the 1990s (I'm a 40's kid in spirit).

But to be on topic I'm a bit curious on what things ended the Golden Age of Nick. Was it the quality of the shows or a change people who ran the company? Same question for what things ended the Silver Age.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/16/16 at 7:13 pm

And everyone already knows how I feel about the 1990s (I'm a 40's kid in spirit).

I feel the same with how I'm a 2000s teen in spirit. The 2010s just have barely anything to entertain me, and thanks to online streaming (which I find convenient), there isn't a lot of good shows that seem entertaining to me. I mean, most of my favorite shows came from either the 80s, 90s, or 2000s. There are a few shows that I like from the 2010s, but it didn't go that well.

But to be on topic I'm a bit curious on what things ended the Golden Age of Nick. Was it the quality of the shows or a change people who ran the company? Same question for what things ended the Silver Age.

The person who was the president of Nickelodeon during the silver age was Herb Scannell. At that time, Nickelodeon had its first feature length film the year he became president (1996). Which was known as Harriet The Spy. Two years after that, they decided to make a feature length film on Rugrats. This probably started a trend where children companies decided to make films on their beloved cartoons in the late 90s and early 2000s. After that, he greenlit Spongebob on the channel, which is still running on the network today. Throughout the early and mid 2000s, he didn't really do that much aside from splitting Nickelodeon and Nick @ Nite from the Nielsen ratings, and witnessing Viacom to dissolve into two companies. Of course, we probably all know that Cyma Zarghini took over in 2006, but all she did was modernizing the network.

This was probably different compared to the golden age president, Geraldine Laybourne, who was president of the channel from 1984-1996. She had the iconic logo that the channel used for 25 years, along with using the Nick Jr and Nick at Nite blocks, that are still used today. Although, Nick Jr. turned into a channel after the 2009 rebrand. There wasn't a lot of important stuff that happened during her leadership, aside from revolutionizing 24/7 Kids television. After she was president of Nick, she made the Oxygen Channel.

Written By: 2001 on 09/19/16 at 12:34 am

Actually, I don't know how you feel about the 90s (well, except the late 90s)  ;D

Being a 40s kid sounds sad, especially if your dad is abroad  :\'(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 1:18 pm

IMO, when Real Monsters ended, Lori beth leaving All That, Dil being troduce to Rugrats, debuts of Cat Dog, Spongebob, Wild thornberries, and cousin skeeter.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 1:35 pm

It began in 1984 (the orange logo and the distinctive "Ni-ni-nick nick, na Nick Nick Nick" bumpers were introduced at that time, leading to ratings success), and ended precisely on January 5, 2006.

I feel like 1984-1990 felt more like the platinum age for Nickelodeon. I say that because those years were pretty great for the network, despite the absences of their famous cartoons at the time. Around 1991-1996, it looked like the actual golden age came into place with the debuts of Rugrats and Doug.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 1:44 pm

It began in 1984 (the orange logo and the distinctive "Ni-ni-nick nick, na Nick Nick Nick" bumpers were introduced at that time, leading to ratings success), and ended precisely on January 5, 2006.

???Um no... When the nicktoons started airing, was when it begun. The mid-late 80s was still ''the early days.''
And come on bro, The golden age was over LONG before 2006. ;D ;D ;D 2006 was the middle of the broze age.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 2:20 pm

???Um no... When the nicktoons started airing, was when it begun. The mid-late 80s was still ''the early days.''
And come on bro, The golden age was over LONG before 2006. ;D ;D ;D 2006 was the middle of the broze age.

Well to late 70s and early 80s babies, the mid-late 80s seem like the golden age with their programming at the time. Besides, they probably quit watching Nickelodeon at the time Doug and Rugrats premiered. It seems different compared to the late 90s/early 2000s, when early and mid 90s babies were watching it as kids.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 4:22 pm

The book Slimed: An Oral History of Nick's Golden Age places the golden at 84-96. :P

Then what about 1996-2006?

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/19/16 at 8:41 pm

I'd say 1991-1996/7 is the Golden Age. 1997/8-2005 is the Silver Age. Aannddd I'm not sure how to describe 2007 - present.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 8:43 pm

I'd say 1991-1996/7 is the Golden Age. 1997/8-2005 is the Silver Age. Aannddd I'm not sure how to describe 2007 - present.

The late 2000s feel like a transitional age, since 2007-2009 were the years when Nickelodeon started to be more modern. The transition stopped around late 2009, when the new logo was shown.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/19/16 at 8:51 pm

1984-1996 is the golden age
1996-2006 silver age
2006-2009 is bronze age
2009-now is dark ages

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 8:54 pm

1996-2006 silver age
2006-2009 is bronze age
2009-now is dark ages

I like of how you put 1984-1990 as part of the golden age, since there were some people who watched it fondly at the time.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/19/16 at 9:37 pm

1996-2006 silver age
2006-2009 is bronze age
2009-now is dark ages

I can agree with that, I suppose. Curious on what made the bronze age so short. And what can Nick do to get better to at least achieve the same quality as they did in the Silver Age (by the rule of ages you can only really reach a "Golden Age" once for some reason, but you can reach a Silver age (or lower) or an equivalent multiple times). They need to make shows that rivaled the quality of Eliza Thornberry, Cat Dog, Danny Phantom, Invader Zim, Chalkzone, Failry Odd Parents, Spongebob, Avatar Last Airbender, Rocket Power,  Jimmy Neutron etc. All good shows that existed in the Silver age of 1996-2006.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/19/16 at 9:42 pm

And what can Nick do to get better to at least achieve the same quality as they did in the Silver Age (by the rule of ages you can only really reach a "Golden Age" once for some reason, but you can reach a Silver age (or lower) or an equivalent multiple times).

I've said this a thousand times before, but if Nick wants to succeed, they need to fire Zarghami. :P

She's to Nick as David Zaslav is to TLC, as Stuart Snyder is to CN, as Anne Sweeney is to Disney Channel, as Michael Eisner (post-1999) is to Disney, as John Sculley, Mike Spinder, and Gil Amelio are to Apple, as Mike Love is to the Beach Boys, as George Lucas (post-1996) is to Star Wars.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 9:54 pm

As I mentioned before, the book Slimed, which was extensively researched and features interviews with hundreds of Nick figures, places the start of the golden age at 1984, with the introduction of the splat logo, the "ni-ni-nick" bumpers, and an incline in ratings.

I don't remember that time, but I'm going to take their word for it that it was the start of the golden age. :P

I DON'T CARE about that damn book....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 9:55 pm

Should be 1991-1997/98. and 1998-2004. But to each his own.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 9:58 pm

I'd say the bronze age began when  Cyma Zarghami took over and began slowly making poor changes to the network.

The logo change in 2009 was when the bronze age took the plunge into the dark age.

Zarghami taking over didn't change Nick overnight.... Nick's identity already had changed in the second half of 2004 when they started to focus more on live action than Nicktoons.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 10:05 pm

1996-2006 silver age
2006-2009 is bronze age
2009-now is dark ages

Your pairing is VERY odd. :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ But to each his own tho.
But tell me this..why do you think 1996 was the end of the golden age. Were the premieres of Hey Arnold and Keenan & Kel your reasons??? ???
I only agree with the last one. Cause Nick in the mid-late 80s wasn't the juggernaut it was in the 90s. Mid 2000s Nick wasn't even the same product very late 90s/early 00s. Late 2004 until 2009, felt like the same big era the same for the most part. With the exceptions of some Nicktoons. Late 2004-2007 was the first half and 2007-2009 was basically the second half.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 10:15 pm

Gerry Laybourne (the one who built Nick up with the original Nicktoons like Ren & Stimpy) resigned and Herb Scannell took over in 1996.

I like dividing up things by presidency sometimes; don't ask me why. :P

That's ludicrous :( , I go by when the product on screen changed... ;)
Didn't mean to get rough on ya ;D, just debating. ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/19/16 at 10:23 pm

Sometimes (not all of the times) I think the two can coincide.

In 2006, I noticed that Nick suddenly started having a lot less variety in their schedule and began spamming SpongeBob a lot more. I mean, they had always aired that show a lot, but here, it began to take up a lot more space.

2006 was when Cyma took over. Coincidence?

But, 2006 Nick and even Nick @Nite still kinda felt like 2005.
as a viewer 2007 was when the changes became more noticeable, with the debuts of Icarly, Naked Brothers Band, the end of Ned's declassified, Danny Phantom, Drake and Josh, Unfabulous. It felt like the end of the first half of Nick's bronze age and the second half.

Written By: aja675 on 09/25/16 at 12:36 am

I remember the show Lola and Virginia which was aired on Nickelodeon Southeast Asia from late 2007 and early 2008.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/04/16 at 7:55 pm

Yo, NewYorkEagle. What's your thoughts on Victorious?

I think its a pretty memorable show.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/04/16 at 7:59 pm

Yo, NewYorkEagle. What's your thoughts on Victorious?

I think its a pretty memorable show.

I thought it was decent. Not as great as iCarly nor Drake and Josh, but it was still a good time waster.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/05/16 at 9:18 am

I thought it was decent. Not as great as iCarly nor Drake and Josh, but it was still a good time waster.

I didn't like iCarly. There was a bias and tedious feel lingering around the show for me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/05/16 at 10:17 am

I didn't like iCarly. There was a bias and tedious feel lingering around the show for me.

I do think that it's still a classic. It identified Nickelodeon's preteen sitcoms during the late 2000s.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/16 at 10:28 am

Why didn't you like iCarly??  :-X

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/08/16 at 5:22 am

I was reading through this thread a few days ago and it reminded me of something which I glued into a book almost eight years ago. Here is a TV guide listing for Nickelodeon (Australia) from the 20th December 2008. In my opinion, the schedule at the time wasn't too bad, although Nickelodeon definitely wasn't as good as it was a few years earlier. Even though this TV guide was only a few days before Christmas, the schedule was pretty similar throughout the whole year. Just as a side note, all four of the channels are cable/Pay-TV channels. The golden era ended around 2006, in my opinion.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/nickelodeo_zps1b4cyw2i.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/08/16 at 8:04 am

I was reading through this thread a few days ago and it reminded me of something which I glued into a book almost eight years ago. Here is a TV guide listing for Nickelodeon (Australia) from the 20th December 2008. In my opinion, the schedule at the time wasn't too bad, although Nickelodeon definitely wasn't as good as it was a few years earlier. Even though this TV guide was only a few days before Christmas, the schedule was pretty similar throughout the whole year. Just as a side note, all four of the channels are cable/Pay-TV channels. The golden era ended around 2006, in my opinion.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/nickelodeo_zps1b4cyw2i.jpg

It was probably different in Australia, maybe. But to me, the bronze age (here in the United States) ended between late 2008-mid 2009, before they changed their logo.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/08/16 at 1:19 pm

Why didn't you like iCarly??  :-X

iCarly captured that late 2000s adolescent culture, but in a somewhat obnoxious way. The show was released once Youtube and the idea of uploading videos and streaming videos online became more of a popular thing to do. Many teenagers liked the show due to it somewhat mirroring what it was like to have your own web series. But the only thing I couldn't stand were the characters. Some were a bit 1 dimensional. But the show did have its nice moments. I really liked the character Spencer and his funny acting.

The show is terrible and in most cases I found it to be decent. I just didn't like some of the characters, but the humor was nice for the most part.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/08/16 at 3:13 pm

How can something be decent and terrible at the same time?

Toon meant the show was awkward for him, but it was sometimes funny. Like of how he thinks Spencer was funny, but he didn't like some of the other characters.

Check for new replies or respond here...