inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What musical genres do you want to comeback?

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/16 at 9:03 pm

When it comes to music we're either upset at the death of a genre or the fact that a genre doesn't sound like how it used to years prior. For example fans of pop music they're either satisfied with what we have now or upset that and say that it doesn't sound as good as it used to in previous decade. Is there a musical genre that you're upset about that has either died (as in the mainstream industry doesn't release music within that genre) or upset that the style of the genre has changed (for example 2010s pop isn't like 2000s pop and so on)? What genres, subgenres, and styles would you like to make a comeback? Or perhaps you're happy with the music is now. Or you're a bit mix on how you feel about said genres? 

Edit: If you feel that you need to link videos of songs help give an example of songs you're free to do so. Would make it easier to compare and listen.

Subject: Re: What musical genres do you want to comeback?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/07/16 at 9:16 pm

* EURODANCE! As an extremely girly outcast who loved DDR, this was practically my ultimate be-free, escape music. I was just listening to a ton of it last night and today, and boy did it being back a great aura of warmth and joy that I haven't found this decade. Sure, crap like "Axel F" may give this genre a bad rep, but to me personally, the genre is a colorful fantasy with infectiously catchy melodies, proudly cheesy lyrics, and bubbly production.

* New-jack swing. Of all things this wretched decade could revive from the 90s, I'm disappointed it hasn't brought back the delicious rhythms of new-jack swing. That stuff actually had a groove to it; it was either upbeat and irresistibly danceable, or it was slick and soothing when slowed down a bit. It was certainly far superior to the trap beats of today.

* Rock that's actually distinguishable from other genera of music. Twenty One Pilots are definitely among the better music acts of today, but they could just as easily pass for regular pop, in the same way older pop groups like ABBA had live instruments but we're still considered pop. Part of what was so great about the 80s and 90s, for example, was that there was such a diverse balance between synthesized pop/dance and live rock and roll. Compare the first American Now album from 1998 with Now 59, released last month, and the difference is all too evident.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/07/16 at 9:55 pm

Definitely Late 90s-Early 2000s R&B, Early-mid 2000s Hip Hop. R&B used to have such relaxing feels and Hip Hop used to be so stress relieving. I also miss how the genres used to seem exclusive to specific hours of the day, diversity in sound.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/16 at 10:05 pm

* EURODANCE! As an extremely girly outcast who loved DDR,
this was practically my ultimate be-free, escape music. I was just listening to a ton of it last night and today, and boy did it being back a great aura of warmth and joy that I haven't found this decade. Sure, crap like "Axel F" may give this genre a bad rep, but to me personally, the genre is a colorful fantasy with infectiously catchy melodies, proudly cheesy lyrics, and bubbly production.

I do enjoy Eurodance. It had such an uplifting sound to it where it was great for boosting one's spirits. It had cheesy lyrics no doubt, but that never stopped me from enjoying it. I'd love for Eurodance to make a comeback as I do feel that music nowadays doesn't have the joyful vibe that Eurodance had back then.

* New-jack swing. Of all things this wretched decade could revive from the 90s, I'm disappointed it hasn't brought back the delicious rhythms of new-jack swing. That stuff actually had a groove to it; it was either upbeat and irresistibly danceable, or it was slick and soothing when slowed down a bit. It was certainly far superior to the trap beats of today.

I'm confused as you are. With everyone and everything trying to revive old 1990s stuff I'm surprised that New Jack Swing didn't make the revival list. New Jack Swing is one of my favorite musical genres and I'm curious on what exactly is causing many musical artists to skip over this genre. I sort of figured that since the genre lost it popularity by 1993 people just weren't interested in it anymore to the point where they didn't bother with a revival. But that's just my guess.

* Rock that's actually distinguishable from other genera of music. Twenty One Pilots are definitely among the better music acts of today, but they could just as easily pass for regular pop, in the same way older pop groups like ABBA had live instruments but we're still considered pop. Part of what was so great about the 80s and 90s, for example, was that there was such a diverse balance between synthesized pop/dance and live rock and roll. Compare the first American Now album from 1998 with Now 59, released last month, and the difference is all too evident.

When it comes to rock I actually wish Surf Rock would make a comeback. It had a short lived early 60s run which is sad to me. On the topic of rock in general I did like how diverse the sound of rock was back in the past decades. I don't like 10s rock music very much as I never liked the instrumental sounds and style. Rock was never my favorite genre or even in my list of favorite genres, but I agree with you on the topic of Rock.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/16 at 10:09 pm

Definitely Late 90s-Early 2000s R&B, Early-mid 2000s Hip Hop. R&B used to have such relaxing feels and Hip Hop used to be so stress relieving. I also miss how the genres used to seem exclusive to specific hours of the day, diversity in sound.

Like how night R&B would sound more relaxing at night yet a bit more upbeat in the day? I've noticed that and found it to be interesting. When you listened to the radio they'd play certain songs that would fit the specific hours. I don't listen to a lot of Hip Hop/R&B in the 10s so I'm not entirely sure if it's like how it used to be back in the late 90s-mid 00s. But I'd love for the diversity in sounds to comeback. From the limited amount of Hip Hop/R&B that I have listened to they all sound the same. Either due to just trying to follow whatever is popular or just lack of creativity.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/07/16 at 10:27 pm

I'm confused as you are. With everyone and everything trying to revive old 1990s stuff I'm surprised that New Jack Swing didn't make the revival list. New Jack Swing is one of my favorite musical genres and I'm curious on what exactly is causing many musical artists to skip over this genre. I sort of figured that since the genre lost it popularity by 1993 people just weren't interested in it anymore to the point where they didn't bother with a revival. But that's just my guess.

Frankly, I would argue that new-jack swing lasted as late as early 2001. Later pop songs from the 90s may not have been specifically given the new-jack swing label like the Teddy Riley/New Edition-associated ones from the Bush '41 era, but plenty of music was clearly following in the footsteps of new-jack swing for essentially the whole decade. Even after Dr. Dre released The Chronic, new-jack swing continued to have an underlying influence to music of all sorts all the way until the death of Y2K-era teen pop. Consider these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFW-WfuX2Dk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6samPEMpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKxXHEx-XnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWtLf4-WWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYY8DxVZHE

I know that my definition is looser than most, but at the very least, if a song had a swinging hip hop kind of beat that was sort of in double-time, it was at least somewhat related to new-jack swing, and this basic style was pretty much everywhere in the 90s from start to end.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/07/16 at 10:34 pm

Nothing. I'm tired of this "revive this, revive that" mentality, and I want to see/hear something new.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/07/16 at 10:40 pm

Like how night R&B would sound more relaxing at night yet a bit more upbeat in the day? I've noticed that and found it to be interesting. When you listened to the radio they'd play certain songs that would fit the specific hours. I don't listen to a lot of Hip Hop/R&B in the 10s so I'm not entirely sure if it's like how it used to be back in the late 90s-mid 00s. But I'd love for the diversity in sounds to comeback. From the limited amount of Hip Hop/R&B that I have listened to they all sound the same. Either due to just trying to follow whatever is popular or just lack of creativity.

That's a fair definition. Anytime by Brian McKnight is a relaxing song that actually sound 7:00pm or in a room with dim lights, So Anxious by Ginuewine sound in the middle of the day around after school. Always On Time by Ja Rule sound 11:00am and Excuse Me Miss by Jay Z sound 6, 7pm.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/16 at 10:46 pm

Nothing. I'm tired of this "revive this, revive that" mentality, and I want to see/hear something new.

I'm with you on that idea for everything except for music (if you've read some of my other posts I'm the main one complaining about revivals).  Mainly since music seems to always have something new. As time passes so many new genres and styles emerges (many of which I'm sure we don't even know about). So the idea of creating new music isn't something I'm worried about. For all other things like movies, games, comics, fashion etc yeah. But not music. Whether you want it or not music will always change. Modern day music doesn't sound the same as music from over a decade ago. There is nothing wrong with that, but instead of killing genres and replacing them with new ones I'd prefer if all genres kept some form of relevance, but hey I'm sure that's not very possible. If people like modern music that's fine.

Frankly, I would argue that new-jack swing lasted as late as early 2001. Later pop songs from the 90s may not have been specifically given the new-jack swing label like the Teddy Riley/New Edition-associated ones from the Bush '41 era, but plenty of music was clearly following in the footsteps of new-jack swing for essentially the whole decade. Even after Dr. Dre released The Chronic, new-jack swing continued to have an underlying influence to music of all sorts all the way until the death of Y2K-era teen pop. Consider these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFW-WfuX2Dk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6samPEMpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKxXHEx-XnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWtLf4-WWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYY8DxVZHE

I know that my definition is looser than most, but at the very least, if a song had a swinging hip hop kind of beat that was sort of in double-time, it was at least somewhat related to new-jack swing, and this basic style was pretty much everywhere in the 90s from start to end.

Ah, so while New Jack Swing faded the influences of the genre was still noticeable other songs. I mentioned 1993 due to many people saying that's when the genre died in popularity. I do understand what you mean, though. I've also heard songs that made me think that they're in the New Jack Swing genre only to find out that they're part of some other genre.

Written By: Ripley on 09/07/16 at 11:37 pm

Everything!

House, Eurodance... Really all forms of Electronica music. What's out there now is not even mainstream worthy. Artists like Amber and Sonique are no longer popular.

Alternative Rock and Hard Rock. Nu Metal. None of these are good anymore. What artists I hear on the air are mostly talentless or just copying each other.

Pop. Britney and Kylie are the only Pop artists I like now. But look... They're old school, been around for decades so that explains it. I don't mind some of Katy Perry's old songs but she's just too popular if that makes since. I want Bubblegum Pop back also stuff like Nora Jones and Howie Day.

R&B: There were various artists who were great in the 00's. Even then though it was more about that Hip-Hop sound in the background. Unlike the 90's where there was Soul to it. I miss when Babyface's music was on everyone's song.

Country. A genre I have seldom listened to for years as I'm not into it. But I grew up knowing good Country. Dierks Bently ain't got nothing on Alan Jackson!

For me it's not about the genres being popular or all over the radio again. But I just miss the way music used to be. There are rarely any good artists in any of these genres now.

What do I listen to now? I do listen to a lot of current stuff but its by underground artists. Electro-Industrial, which is comprised of several sub-genres. Goa Trance, Aggrotech. But they're forms of Rock music. The only radio Rock I listen to is Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/07/16 at 11:41 pm

90's Grunge/rock. It is my favourite genre of music and it would be great to see it return, especially seeing as though other elements of the 90's have somewhat returned (in the form of nostalgia). In my opinion, it would be great if the general sound from these songs made a comeback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abrn8aVQ76Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0zINtulhM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD982yrmx4

Written By: Ripley on 09/07/16 at 11:43 pm

Like how night R&B would sound more relaxing at night yet a bit more upbeat in the day?

I miss this! Laying down at night while its raining, all comfy in bed, listening to smooth R&B.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/08/16 at 12:06 am

I want just Jazz in general to make a comeback, I doubt it would happen, but that'd be awesome. I also love '90s and '00s R&B, and would love for that to have a comeback.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/16 at 5:35 am

I wish mainstream rock and/or heavy metal could make a comeback. It's been a while since they hit the scene.

Written By: TheKid99 on 09/08/16 at 6:53 am

Pop punk.....

GREAT genre, lost its mainstream popularity in the mid 2000s, but the newer bands like The Story So Far, Real Friends and Knuckle Puck are fantastic, I love them.

Its both good and bad they are not mainstream IMO.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/16 at 4:00 pm

I miss this! Laying down at night while its raining, all comfy in bed, listening to smooth R&B.

How about smooth 80's R&B?  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/08/16 at 4:04 pm

I wish they could bring back disco and funk but I guess we're stuck listening to auto-tune.  ::)

Written By: Ripley on 09/08/16 at 4:54 pm

How about smooth 80's R&B?  :)

Some of it but I didn't pay as much attention to 80's til later. In the late 00's I got into listening to a lot of 80's genres.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/16 at 7:37 am

maybe some of The Motown sound or some 80's country.

Written By: Ripley on 09/09/16 at 12:57 pm

This comparison is quite sad...

The Top 10 US Singles On September 9, 1996

1. Los Del Rio - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)
2. Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High
3. Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
4. Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back To Me Now
5. Keith Sweat - Twisted
6. Quad City DJ's - C'Mon N' Ride It (The Train)
7. LL Cool J - Loungin'
8. Eric Clapton - Change The World
9. R. Kelly - I Can't Sleep Baby (If I)
10. Alanis Morissette - You Learn

The Top US Singles On September 9, 2016

1. Chainsmokers F. Halsey - Closer
2. DJ Snake F. Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You
3. Major Lazer, Justin Bieber & Mo - Cold Water
4. Calum Scott - Dancing On My Own
5. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens
6. Chainsmokers F. Daya - Don't Let Me Know
7. Jonas Blue F. JP Cooper - Perfect Strangers
8. Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better
9. Drake F. Wizkid & Kyla - One Dance
10. Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha - In The Name Of Love

Only one of these songs, in the present list, I recognize. The rest I had to look up. Whereas in the first list they were all great and very unforgettable.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/09/16 at 1:37 pm

1. Los Del Rio - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)
2. Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High
4. Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back To Me Now
5. Keith Sweat - Twisted
6. Quad City DJ's - C'Mon N' Ride It (The Train)
7. LL Cool J - Loungin'
8. Eric Clapton - Change The World
9. R. Kelly - I Can't Sleep Baby (If I)
10. Alanis Morissette - You Learn

The Top US Singles On September 9, 2016

1. Chainsmokers F. Halsey - Closer
2. DJ Snake F. Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You
3. Major Lazer, Justin Bieber & Mo - Cold Water
4. Calum Scott - Dancing On My Own
5. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens
6. Chainsmokers F. Daya - Don't Let Me Know
7. Jonas Blue F. JP Cooper - Perfect Strangers
8. Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better
9. Drake F. Wizkid & Kyla - One Dance
10. Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha - In The Name Of Love

Only one of these songs, in the present list, I recognize. The rest I had to look up. Whereas in the first list they were all great and very unforgettable.

In all fairness, "Macarena" was pretty much the "Gangnam Style" of its day and has definitely earned a level of infamy rivaling today's pop artists, but even then, it's far more of a guilty pleasure than anything today, just for the fact that it has substance to its production.

I also love how the 2016 top 10 has Chainsmomers and Justin Bieber twice, respectively. It's like Beatlemania, only with marginal kitsch. On the top 10 for 2 decades ago, on the other hand, every song is extremely distinct from the rest, the closest comparison being "You're Makin' Me High" and "Twisted," which aren't even that alike anyway. Nowadays, something like "You Learn" or "Change the World" wouldn't show up anywhere beyond the Adult Contemporary charts or whatever.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/09/16 at 7:48 pm

As you've all may already know I'd love for Big Band Swing to make a comeback like how it did in 1998-2001 (unfortunately it was short lived as most bands grew bored with the genre and wanted to produce new sounds). Electro Swing is sort of like a another Swing revival, but while it's popular in Europe (I'd argue that 95% of Electro Swing artists are of Europeon nationality) it isn't as popular in North America. Swing may be dead, but Electro Swing is alive yet not popular. I like Electro Swing due to the amount of variety in sound in the genre.

Xy2QdWWwfUor5gXxBLkukg
-zaPM7nsbXAn_EjOVGaiYg

None of these sound similar despite being in the same genre.

Like Infinity I'd love for a New Jack Swing revival as I think it's a great genre. I love listening to a lot of late 1980s - early 1990s NJS songs and the style that they had. Along with New Jack Swing I'd also love for the revival of Funky House as it was a great combination of a funky disco-esque sounds with a House feel.

Thing I love about Funky House, New Jack Swing, Big Band Swing, and Electro Swing is the upbeat and joyful sound that they all have.

I wish they could bring back disco and funk but I guess we're stuck listening to auto-tune.  ::)

Still don't know what's so cool about auto-tuning your voice. If people like auto tuning that's fine, but I never saw the appeal of it. I like voices that sound natural and lifting. Not voices that sound like it was given by a text-to-speech program.

90's Grunge/rock. It is my favourite genre of music and it would be great to see it return, especially seeing as though other elements of the 90's have somewhat returned (in the form of nostalgia). In my opinion, it would be great if the general sound from these songs made a comeback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abrn8aVQ76Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0zINtulhM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD982yrmx4

Yeah, I can get behind the idea of a grunge revival. Grunge/Rock did make a slight comeback in the form of nostalgia, but that is where the problem lies. Nostalgia does bring things back, but not for too long until it fades again. But hopefully there will be new found interest in the genre or at least in the style.

I want just Jazz in general to make a comeback, I doubt it would happen, but that'd be awesome. I also love '90s and '00s R&B, and would love for that to have a comeback.

I'll always except more Jazz. But the genre is suffering from the fact that nearly all JAzz musicians are old fogies who don't fully understand today's tech. And the younger Jazz musicians don't go out and expose themselves to a wider audience. And I'd also love some 90s/00s R&B.

That's a fair definition. Anytime by Brian McKnight is a relaxing song that actually sound 7:00pm or in a room with dim lights, So Anxious by Ginuewine sound in the middle of the day around after school. Always On Time by Ja Rule sound 11:00am and Excuse Me Miss by Jay Z sound 6, 7pm.

Yeah, I remember the moments where I'd be driving home at about 7:30 PM and on the radio is this smooth relaxing R&B track that is playing as I'm moving through the city. City Night life and relaxing R&B meshes together in such a fine way. Makes me miss it.

Written By: Fearsword on 09/12/16 at 2:32 pm

Betty who done a cover of that song in 2016 and it's doing quite well on the ARIA Charts

Written By: Howard on 09/12/16 at 4:24 pm

classic R&B smooth jams.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/13/16 at 1:34 pm

Well at least Jazz has the 2020s coming up since the 1920s were popularly thought of as "The Jazz Age", though of course the closest to Jazz these days is Electro-Swing. It would likely due best in the highbrow classical/chamber environment though just like how Classical is still around, but you never hear it except on NPR or a low FM station in a few cities.

But in terms of what I'd love to see return, I'd love Doo Wop to return in an updated form called "Electro-Wop" in a similar matter to Electro-Swing that uses modern production but the classical scats, vocal harmonies, and even saxophone solos.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/13/16 at 2:05 pm

Well at least Jazz has the 2020s coming up since the 1920s were popularly thought of as "The Jazz Age", though of course the closest to Jazz these days is Electro-Swing. It would likely due best in the highbrow classical/chamber environment though just like how Classical is still around, but you never hear it except on NPR or a low FM station in a few cities.

But in terms of what I'd love to see return, I'd love Doo Wop to return in an updated form called "Electro-Wop" in a similar matter to Electro-Swing that uses modern production but the classical scats, vocal harmonies, and even saxophone solos.

I like Doo Wop music, but there hasn't really been any Doo Wop since the early 60s. There are some Doo Wop influenced songs such as Billy Joel's "For The Longest Time", but there are no Doo Wop artists or groups (besides YouTube groups and the such). There are still Jazz artists and bands, but sadly, I feel like Doo Wop (in the sense, there still may be Doo Wop songs occasionally though) is one of the few truly dead genres, or at least dormant for the time being. Electro Wop sounds like an interesting idea though, that'd be interesting to see.

Written By: wixness on 09/13/16 at 2:52 pm

Rock, metal, dark and/or chill electronica.

I reckon they're still releasing those, but not in the way I like them to. For instance, Twenty One Pilots are just a clone of Linkin Park and one of Slayer's new songs sounded a little boring to me; then again, I can't really seem to get into Slayer and most other metal bands. Electronic music these days seem way too focused on trap music.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/14/16 at 10:38 pm

I reckon they're still releasing those, but not in the way I like them to. For instance, Twenty One Pilots are just a clone of Linkin Park and one of Slayer's new songs sounded a little boring to me; then again, I can't really seem to get into Slayer and most other metal bands. Electronic music these days seem way too focused on trap music.

What made you think Twenty One Pilots is a clone of Linkin Park? Twenty One Pilots seems like alternative hip hop, indie pop, and a bit of rock influences. Linkin Park seems like nu metal, hip hop, and alternative rock.

I see a good amount of differences between them, although I'm not a fan of either of them (I like at least a couple songs from both though), so maybe I'm not the best person to give an opinion on it, but those are my thoughts.

Written By: wixness on 09/14/16 at 11:21 pm

What made you think Twenty One Pilots is a clone of Linkin Park? Twenty One Pilots seems like alternative hip hop, indie pop, and a bit of rock influences. Linkin Park seems like nu metal, hip hop, and alternative rock.

I see a good amount of differences between them, although I'm not a fan of either of them (I like at least a couple songs from both though), so maybe I'm not the best person to give an opinion on it, but those are my thoughts.

Their look and the genres you mentioned.

When I think of alternative rock, I imagine those long-haired guys in the mid-late 2000s. I don't know how well Twenty One Pilots fits into this image, although this is no thanks to stupid 90s nostalgia making short hair on guys hip again.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/14/16 at 11:30 pm

What band are you listening too? Twenty One Pilots are nothing like Linkin Park, and that is coming from someone who has been a fan of Linkin Park's music since their debut album was released. For starters, their music doesn't sound similar at all. In the early years, Linkin Park were a nu-metal band and they have since become an alternative rock band. Twenty One Pilots is more of a indie pop act and has very little rock influences. Also, Linkin Park has two lead singers, Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda, who is mostly known for his rapping. Twenty One Pilots only has one lead singer.

Take a listen to Linkin Park's most recent single and Twenty One Pilots' most recent single. They sound nothing alike, whatsoever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCy5461BtTg&list=PLmPcutjCl4YeZs6IdRYCVX8t90yFqYUBv&index=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprcpdwuwCg

Written By: wixness on 09/14/16 at 11:35 pm

What band are you listening too? Twenty One Pilots are nothing like Linkin Park, and that is coming from someone who has been a fan of Linkin Park's music since their debut album was released. For starters, their music doesn't sound similar at all. In the early years, Linkin Park were a nu-metal band and they have since become an alternative rock band. Twenty One Pilots is more of a indie pop act and has very little rock influences. Also, Linkin Park has two lead singers, Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda, who is mostly known for his rapping. Twenty One Pilots only has one lead singer.

Take a listen to Linkin Park's most recent single and Twenty One Pilots' most recent single. They sound nothing alike, whatsoever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCy5461BtTg&list=PLmPcutjCl4YeZs6IdRYCVX8t90yFqYUBv&index=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprcpdwuwCg

IMO indie = hipster = closet (gender) conformist. Different story for indie game developers though.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/14/16 at 11:43 pm

IMO indie = hipster = closet (gender) conformist. Different story for indie game developers though.

How does that make Twenty One Pilots a Linkin Park clone?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 6:26 am

Twenty One Pilots honestly sound nothing like Linkin Park. I listened to one song from Twenty One Pilots, and it sounds like something from this decade.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/16/16 at 8:36 pm

I like Doo Wop music, but there hasn't really been any Doo Wop since the early 60s. There are some Doo Wop influenced songs such as Billy Joel's "For The Longest Time", but there are no Doo Wop artists or groups (besides YouTube groups and the such). There are still Jazz artists and bands, but sadly, I feel like Doo Wop (in the sense, there still may be Doo Wop songs occasionally though) is one of the few truly dead genres, or at least dormant for the time being. Electro Wop sounds like an interesting idea though, that'd be interesting to see.

I can easily see Electro-Wop being a big thing. This genre that appears out of nowhere and everyone sees it as this crazy new style of music. People will take interest in it and then make their own music within the genre. Next thing you know the genre takes off and is made everywhere. That's what happened within Electro Swing in Europe. Have people like Caravan Palace. Making Electro Swing Albums that actually end up making the charts.All you need to do is just learn to use a program like FL Studio and create Electro Wop. Make it good. Make it catchy. Then it'll take off. That's what Parov Stelar did with Electro Swing in the late 2000s (it's a bit odd, however, as he's the creator of Electro Swing despite the genre existing since the early 2000s just without the "Electro Swing" name).

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/16/16 at 10:38 pm

I can easily see Electro-Wop being a big thing. This genre that appears out of nowhere and everyone sees it as this crazy new style of music. People will take interest in it and then make their own music within the genre. Next thing you know the genre takes off and is made everywhere. That's what happened within Electro Swing in Europe. Have people like Caravan Palace. Making Electro Swing Albums that actually end up making the charts.All you need to do is just learn to use a program like FL Studio and create Electro Wop. Make it good. Make it catchy. Then it'll take off. That's what Parov Stelar did with Electro Swing in the late 2000s (it's a bit odd, however, as he's the creator of Electro Swing despite the genre existing since the early 2000s just without the "Electro Swing" name).

I would love if this would happen, I'm just not sure how likely it would be for it to happen within the next 10 years, let's say. It'd be absolutely amazing though, I'm just thinking of it now. :D

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/17/16 at 3:15 am

Another swing revival would be cool. Cocktail culture was in vogue for a couple years in the '90s. Rockabilly (the Stray Cats) and ska (Madness) were revived in the '80s, as well as mod (the Jam). It might make music more fun if we heard some acts in those genres.

Check for new replies or respond here...