inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oldest software you are still using?

Written By: Catherine91UK on 09/20/16 at 2:46 pm

One of the computers at my workplace has Office 97 on a computer that runs Windows XP (it's not connected to the internet). I think Office 97 is better than some of the more recent versions, and both Office and XP work just fine for the tasks we use that computer for.

On my home laptop I have a copy of Microsoft Works version 8.5 from 2005!

Subject: Re: Oldest software you are still using?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 2:57 pm

I'm not sure if it counts as old software, but I have some computer games that were released during 2004-2006. I remember some of them, since I had them on a Dell computer which ran Windows XP at the time.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/20/16 at 3:15 pm

Mac OS 9

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 3:21 pm

Mac OS 9

I have an older version of Mac OS X on an iMac G5.

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/16 at 6:40 pm

The 2003 version of the Microsoft Office suite was the best. The menu options were the most intuitive then.  ;D

Edit: happy birthday to you, Catherine. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 6:49 pm

The 2003 version of the Microsoft Office suite was the best. The menu options were the most intuitive then.  ;D

The early 2010s version of Microsoft Office was the best. It looked so authentic like Windows 7.

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/16 at 6:58 pm

The early 2010s version of Microsoft Office was the best. It looked so authentic like Windows 7.

The UI is what I hate the most, though! ;D Everything after 2007 is the same to me, except it gets more "simple" and less productive with each release. You have to click more buttons to get to the same features and it's always guesswork checking where the feature you want will be. I'm not a fan of the big button layout and the .docx format.

OTOH PowerPoint 2007 is actually pretty good. There were actual useful new features there and not just destroying the UI.

I'm also a bit bitter about 2007 onwards because I was one of the 10 people on this planet that knew how to use Microsoft Access  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 7:07 pm

The UI is what I hate the most, though! ;D Everything after 2007 is the same to me, except it gets more "simple" and less productive with each release. You have to click more buttons to get to the same features and it's always guesswork checking where the feature you want will be. I'm not a fan of the big button layout and the .docx format.

OTOH PowerPoint 2007 is actually pretty good. There were actual useful new features there and not just destroying the UI.

I'm also a bit bitter about 2007 onwards because I was one of the 10 people on this planet that knew how to use Microsoft Access  ;D

To be honest, I never really felt interested into using Microsoft Office that much. They all feel the same to me, except for the late 90s/early 2000s editions. I think it might have to deal with Microsoft making their MS Office editions look similar since Windows XP was the norm.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/20/16 at 8:08 pm

I only bought my laptop two years ago, so all of the programs on my computer are up-to-date. However, I have a PC game on my computer called "SimCity 4" (which I still play regularly) and it was released in 2003.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/21/16 at 9:49 pm

The Sims 2 is still my Sims game of choice (3 isn't bad either, though it's rather buggy on my current computer), even though I only own expansions that are as recent as September 2007. I would get the two expansions from 2008, but unfortunately they were omitted from Aspyr's Sims 2 Super Collection.

I also got Adobe Photoshop CS2 in summer 2006 (it was released in May 2005) and have continued to use it ever since. Originally, I got it in order to design better graphics for my DDR simfiles, but I've also found it helpful for designing or modifying other stuff, too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/22/16 at 10:24 am

Probably the oldest piece of software that I still use regularly is the MS-DOS version of Star Wars: Dark Forces from 1995. I also still play 3D Movie Maker from 1995, NASCAR Racing 2 from 1996, and Railroad Tycoon II from 1998 occasionally.

I have software much older than that, though. I have several games for my Commodore Amiga that are considerably older, including the Breakout clone Arkanoid from 1986 and Bionic Commando from 1988. Unfortunately, I can't play these games any longer because my Amiga doesn't work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/16 at 5:37 pm

Probably the oldest piece of software that I still use regularly is the MS-DOS version of Star Wars: Dark Forces from 1995. I also still play 3D Movie Maker from 1995, NASCAR Racing 2 from 1996, and Railroad Tycoon II from 1998 occasionally.

I have software much older than that, though. I have several games for my Commodore Amiga that are considerably older, including the Breakout clone Arkanoid from 1986 and Bionic Commando from 1988. Unfortunately, I can't play these games any longer because my Amiga doesn't work.
I still have my Railroad Tycoon, but my computer cannot play it now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/22/16 at 7:06 pm

I still have my Railroad Tycoon, but my computer cannot play it now.

Maybe it's a newer computer that can't really play software from the late 90s/early 2000s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/16 at 7:08 pm

Maybe it's a newer computer that can't really play software from the late 90s/early 2000s.
Exactly so, now I find those games a distraction.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/23/16 at 3:10 am

Exactly so, now I find those games a distraction.

It's a shame that the newest operating systems are incompatible with most 15+ year old games. I own a "Simpsons Cartoon Studio" PC game, which was originally released in 1996 and I used to play it regularly on our Windows XP computer. However, when we replaced the computer with Windows 7 Laptops, the game was unrecognizable on the system.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/16 at 3:34 am

It's a shame that the newest operating systems are incompatible with most 15+ year old games. I own a "Simpsons Cartoon Studio" PC game, which was originally released in 1996 and I used to play it regularly on our Windows XP computer. However, when we replaced the computer with Windows 7 Laptops, the game was unrecognizable on the system.
Once we brought a graphics card for the computer, but it did not work. We did manage to sell it on, so we did not lose out.

Check for new replies or respond here...