inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best year for the Internet?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/23/16 at 1:07 am

It's pretty safe to say that the Internet has evolved pretty dramatically year by year since its introduction into the mainstream 21 years ago, whether for good or bad. In your opinion, which year did you feel the Internet was at its most positive, either for contextual impact, available features, convenience, quality of sites, or any other factors?

For me personally, I would have to declare 2006 as the finest year to browse the web. This was roughly the earliest time that broadband was standard, a huge relief for anybody who remembered the painful waits of the dial-up age. It was also the first full year Wikipedia was firmly established, and while YouTube and Facebook just started to grow in popularity at the time, not to mention Twitter was first launched, social media still far from the point of taking over the world, especially considering the iPhone wasn't even invented yet. Even MySpace, from what I remember, was just as much an independent music haven (it launched the careers of the excellent Arctic Monkeys) as it was a "place for friends," not to mention it was nothing like Twitter and Facebook are now. Besides that, Internet forums were arguably at their peak, and in general, online conversations were relegated to actual, intelligent exchanges as opposed to just a war zone of impulsive exclamations like the comment sections you see on just about any website nowadays. For those who wanted to chat with their friends with a computer, there was always the option of AIM (which I remember far more fondly than I've ever remembered Facebook Messenger). As a whole, 2006 is my favorite year for the Internet because it perfectly balanced the convenience of the web without the excesses of present-day social media.

Subject: Re: Best year for the Internet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/23/16 at 5:40 am

The mid 2000s were like the best time for the Internet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/16 at 5:59 am

1989, when Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/16 at 7:40 am

The mid 2000s were like the best time for the Internet.

I would say 2000-2005.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/23/16 at 10:19 am

I would say 2000-2005.

It's more like 2003-2007 to me.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/23/16 at 11:09 am

I wouldn't know. I occasionally used the internet until 2007. The times I was present from 2000-2006, the internet did have nice vibes to it. Onwards was just nice vibes due to catching the peak of specific sites.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/23/16 at 12:15 pm

Childhood wise and pre-social media (being as popular as recent years/today), 2003-2007 by a long mile. It was very balanced like #Infinity mentioned. If I had to pick one year though. It's tied at 2003/2004 for me. I don't know why I'm going back so early before Youtube, Myspace, or Facebook blew up, but I just remember how different the internet felt then. When websites like RuneScape, Planet Hot Wheels, and Shockwave were in its prime.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/23/16 at 2:25 pm

It's pretty safe to say that the Internet has evolved pretty dramatically year by year since its introduction into the mainstream 21 years ago, whether for good or bad. In your opinion, which year did you feel the Internet was at its most positive, either for contextual impact, available features, convenience, quality of sites, or any other factors?

For me personally, I would have to declare 2006 as the finest year to browse the web. This was roughly the earliest time that broadband was standard, a huge relief for anybody who remembered the painful waits of the dial-up age. It was also the first full year Wikipedia was firmly established, and while YouTube and Facebook just started to grow in popularity at the time, not to mention Twitter was first launched, social media still far from the point of taking over the world, especially considering the iPhone wasn't even invented yet. Even MySpace, from what I remember, was just as much an independent music haven (it launched the careers of the excellent Arctic Monkeys) as it was a "place for friends," not to mention it was nothing like Twitter and Facebook are now. Besides that, Internet forums were arguably at their peak, and in general, online conversations were relegated to actual, intelligent exchanges as opposed to just a war zone of impulsive exclamations like the comment sections you see on just about any website nowadays. For those who wanted to chat with their friends with a computer, there was always the option of AIM (which I remember far more fondly than I've ever remembered Facebook Messenger). As a whole, 2006 is my favorite year for the Internet because it perfectly balanced the convenience of the web without the excesses of present-day social media.

I totally agree with you about 2006. It was a truly revolutionary time for the internet where many of the services we take for granted today were just getting their start. At the time it all seemed fresh. I remember watching a video on YouTube for the first time that January, posting for the first time here on InThe00s that February, and starting my first account on MySpace that spring. Plus, our area finally got broadband internet access that June for the first time, which really opened up a whole new world to me online that I really couldn't have experienced back in the dial-up days. If I had to pick a single year as my favorite, I would go with 2006 as well.

Also, though, I have a lot of nostalgia for late '90s internet as well. 1998 was the year I went on the Web for the first time, and sometimes I kinda miss the more "innocent" simplicity of that era. Even though the internet was already popular, it was much "smaller" back then, and didn't give you the ability to just look up any information at the touch of a button like you can now. I have very fond memories of "surfing" sites like Ask Jeeves, Lycos, Geocities, MSN, and Angelfire, all on my Netscape Navigator 4.0 browser. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/16 at 9:39 pm

I'm going to triple the specific mention of 2006, much for the same reasons, and I'd like to include 2007 as well.

It was the post dial-up age, so most websites and their functions were sufficiently advanced. You had all the information of the world just a click away.

Message boards like this one and MSN chats were popular ways to communicate, and I'll always have fond memories of those. A lot of the kids at school had blogs, kind of sad to see most these things go the way of the dodo.

The main things missing are music and movie streaming services, online learning websites like Khan Academy, Coursera, Lynda, MIT Open Courseware etc. and Q&A websites like Stack Overflow and Quora (I mean, there was Yahoo! Answers, but lol). The social aspects of the Internet have been in decline though, in my opinion.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/16 at 7:26 am

I'm going to triple the specific mention of 2006, much for the same reasons, and I'd like to include 2007 as well.

It was the post dial-up age, so most websites and their functions were sufficiently advanced. You had all the information of the world just a click away.

Message boards like this one and MSN chats were popular ways to communicate, and I'll always have fond memories of those. A lot of the kids at school had blogs, kind of sad to see most these things go the way of the dodo.

The main things missing are music and movie streaming services, online learning websites like Khan Academy, Coursera, Lynda, MIT Open Courseware etc. and Q&A websites like Stack Overflow and Quora (I mean, there was Yahoo! Answers, but lol). The social aspects of the Internet have been in decline though, in my opinion.

I still use messageboards as of today.  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/24/16 at 8:37 am

I think the Internet was just fine without that in 2006. Even though Yahoo's services were really popular at the time.

Written By: 2001 on 09/24/16 at 3:38 pm

I still use messageboards as of today.  :)

Same here! :)

I think the Internet was just fine without that in 2006. Even though Yahoo's services were really popular at the time.

I'd have to disagree. I like those things, a lot.  :o

In 2007 I asked Yahoo! Answers how to be more cool, and they said I should copy the way all the cool actors on TV act. It worked tbh.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/24/16 at 4:04 pm

I'd have to disagree. I like those things, a lot.  :o

As somebody who uses Netflix, I tend to think that post wasn't that good. So I was kinda hypocritical from that point.

In 2007 I asked Yahoo! Answers how to be more cool, and they said I should copy the way all the cool actors on TV act. It worked tbh.

No wonder why you sometimes act modern.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/16 at 4:16 pm

Late 00's and early 10's, around 2007 to 2011. I liked those doom and gloom videos on Youtube!  :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/24/16 at 4:20 pm

Late 00's and early 10's, around 2007 to 2011. I liked those doom and gloom videos on Youtube!  :P

We still have those videos on YouTube, except they're more miserable and it has terrible comment sections.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/16 at 4:33 pm

We still have those videos on YouTube, except they're more miserable and it has terrible comment sections.

Yes, the comments section attract trolls, a lot.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/16 at 5:49 pm

those are the people who aren't subscribed to the channel.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/24/16 at 7:33 pm

They already do it for sh*ts and giggles.

People could genuinely enjoy the videos without subscribing to them.

Written By: 2001 on 09/25/16 at 12:22 am

2007-2012 was the Golden age of meltdowns. I think Final Fantasy 13 being announced for the Xbox 360 remains my favourite day on the Internet.

https://www.upload.ee/image/1431925/Scream.gif

Written By: Howard on 09/25/16 at 2:48 pm

They already do it for sh*ts and giggles.

People could genuinely enjoy the videos without subscribing to them.

I subscribe to a lot of channels but I don't troll.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/25/16 at 3:08 pm

I subscribe to a lot of channels but I don't troll.

I subscribe to a lot of them too (104 as of now), but I don't troll on their comment sections either.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/25/16 at 3:09 pm

2007 for me, that's just the year I enjoyed it most, played a lot of random games, YouTube felt more creative, and I actually enjoyed searching images on Google (that part might be more 2006). ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/25/16 at 3:24 pm

I subscribe to a lot of them too (104 as of now), but I don't troll on their comment sections either.

I subscribed to 7 channels.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/25/16 at 4:14 pm

I subscribed to 7 channels.

Well okay.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/16 at 7:44 pm

2007-2012 was the Golden age of meltdowns. I think Final Fantasy 13 being announced for the Xbox 360 remains my favourite day on the Internet.

https://www.upload.ee/image/1431925/Scream.gif

Is she going to eat me? I might eat her.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/16 at 7:45 pm

Am I subscribed to the channel?

Written By: 2001 on 09/25/16 at 9:09 pm

Subscribe to Super Deluxe!!

IVPAkv0V9Ak

Written By: wixness on 09/25/16 at 10:17 pm

2008, but that was when I saw one of the most beautifully made fan made videos that unfortunately got taken down either by the user or by copyright  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 09/26/16 at 2:53 pm

If you are logged into YouTube you can check your Subscriptions.

Check for new replies or respond here...