inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you guys ever wondered when The Simpsons should've ended?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/27/16 at 6:28 pm

It should've ended around the mid 2000s, since the episodes weren't really that funny ever since. The episodes from the 90s were pretty cool and most of them are classics, in my opinion. But I think people here should get a chance on sharing their thoughts on when should it end.

Subject: Re: Have you guys ever wondered when The Simpsons should've ended?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/16 at 6:35 pm

It ended for me many years ago when I found them unfunny.

The pink shirt and Michael Jackson episode is a classic.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/27/16 at 6:53 pm

After season 8, 9, or 10.

It should've ended around the mid 2000s, since the episodes weren't really that funny ever since.

God no, the show was already terrible by then.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/27/16 at 6:55 pm

It should have ended either with Season 9 or Season 11. Season 9 was the first season with a noticeable dip in quality (though signs of weakness were already apparent in Season 8) but also the last truly good season. Season 11 was when the show truly overstayed its welcome, but it did have the appropriate finale episode Behind the Laughter. Both seasons are a fair balance because while fans would have missed the show more if it ended in 1998, it never would have stooped down to the level of elf jockeys and arresting Maggie just for being the kid of Homer had it stopped there. I think by Season 11, everybody was completely ready for the show to just be over, but at least it hadn't been a zombie franchise for more than twice as long as it was still a quality cartoon.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/27/16 at 7:08 pm

After season 8, 9, or 10.
God no, the show was already terrible by then.

At least it's better than having the show still airing new episodes in 2016. I mean, Family Guy was already kicking its ass during the mid 2000s.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/01/16 at 2:39 pm

For me, it should have died in 2004. 2004 was the last decent year for me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 2:50 pm

Yeah. It became less funny around 2004.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/01/16 at 2:56 pm

Yeah. It became less funny around 2004.

Is that your opinion?  ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 3:00 pm

Is that your opinion?  ???

Well, I did say that The Simpsons should've ended in the mid 2000s, when they weren't that funny anymore. So yeah.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/16 at 5:24 pm

very soon Simpsons will come close to being on the air 30 years. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 5:41 pm

And it would end at the time they reach Season 30.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/02/16 at 12:37 am

They should start aging the Simpsons now and have them a different age each year.

We can make the kids middle schoolers, then high schoolers, then college students, then general adulthood. It can end there.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/02/16 at 12:43 am

Wow. When will it all end?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/02/16 at 8:20 am

They should start aging the Simpsons now and have them a different age each year.

We can make the kids middle schoolers, then high schoolers, then college students, then general adulthood. It can end there.

That would've been cool. It would be just like Full House, except it goes on for 28 seasons. Although, I think it would've end around the 20th season mark when they all turn into adults, including Maggie.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/02/16 at 10:24 am

It really is almost unbelievable how long The Simpsons has been making new episodes. Think about it like this...

If All in the Family had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 1998.
If Full House had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 2014.
If Cheers had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 2009.
If Friends had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would still be on the air today.
If Bewitched had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 1991.
If I Love Lucy had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 1978.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/02/16 at 10:28 am

It really is almost unbelievable how long The Simpsons has been making new episodes. Think about it like this...

If All in the Family had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 1998.
If Full House had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 2014.
If Cheers had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 2009.
If Friends had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would still be on the air today.
If Bewitched had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 1991.
If I Love Lucy had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would've still been on the air in 1978.

Then people would've believed that the show truly ended around the time the series finale premiered.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/16 at 3:19 pm

And it would end at the time they reach Season 30.

The only day it dies, if Matt Groenig dies.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/16 at 3:19 pm

Wow. When will it all end?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/02/16 at 4:36 pm

That would've been cool. It would be just like Full House, except it goes on for 28 seasons. Although, I think it would've end around the 20th season mark when they all turn into adults, including Maggie.

I don't think it's too late for them to do that. Only they should make the jumps bigger. Like the next season Bart can be an 8th grader, Lisa a 6th grader. Then we can show them in high school the next season, college the next, and then have the last season with them as middle aged adults.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/02/16 at 4:45 pm

The only day it dies, if Matt Groenig dies.

Or any of the voice actors dies.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/02/16 at 4:46 pm

I don't think it's too late for them to do that. Only they should make the jumps bigger. Like the next season Bart can be an 8th grader, Lisa a 6th grader. Then we can show them in high school the next season, college the next, and then have the last season with them as middle aged adults.

That sounds more like a series finale than a continuation of a series. It would've been too late, since it would ruin The Simpsons even more to most people.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/02/16 at 5:47 pm

About 2000.  That was when people started looking at the Tracy Ulman Show as "the good old days".

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/02/16 at 8:12 pm

That sounds more like a series finale than a continuation of a series. It would've been too late, since it would ruin The Simpsons even more to most people.

They would have more plot ideas if they aged the characters.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/02/16 at 8:22 pm

Well true. But it wouldn't be that interesting if they done it towards a few seasons. I mean, I could get they could do it for a series finale, but not for a few seasons.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/02/16 at 10:39 pm

I'll tell you when it should have ended.  It should have ended after Marcia Wallce, Mrs Krabapple, died.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/03/16 at 7:19 am

See, personally IMO, I don't think it's a good idea to compare the run of a live-action series to an animated series, because with live-action TV series people/characters age. With animated shows it's just drawn out so as long as the actors' voices for the characters remain the same no matter how long they age the series will be fine, oh and throughout the years voice actors can change too but the animated character can never change. I would say one live-action series that lasted for a long time was Family Matters, 1989-1998, that's 9 seasons of an epic series. Friends also lasted for a long time too from 1994-2004 (10 seasons). I'm trying to think of live-action sitcoms or TV series where the characters remained the same the whole time. Not shows where the roster changed throughout the years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/03/16 at 9:08 am

I'll tell you when it should have ended.  It should have ended after Marcia Wallce, Mrs Krabapple, died.

Yeah. I think I stopped watching The Simpsons after Mrs. Krabapple's voice actor died.  :\'(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/03/16 at 10:57 am

See, personally IMO, I don't think it's a good idea to compare the run of a live-action series to an animated series, because with live-action TV series people/characters age. With animated shows it's just drawn out so as long as the actors' voices for the characters remain the same no matter how long they age the series will be fine, oh and throughout the years voice actors can change too but the animated character can never change. I would say one live-action series that lasted for a long time was Family Matters, 1989-1998, that's 9 seasons of an epic series. Friends also lasted for a long time too from 1994-2004 (10 seasons). I'm trying to think of live-action sitcoms or TV series where the characters remained the same the whole time. Not shows where the roster changed throughout the years.

I wasn't really trying to compare The Simpsons to those live action shows, I was just trying to put into context how long the show has been on the air by using historical examples. And Family Matters is another good one. Family Matters started in the same TV season as The Simpsons (1989-90), so if it had lasted as long as The Simpsons, it would still be on the air today! :o

To your other point, some other sitcoms that kept mostly the same roster of characters for a long period of time were Frasier (1993-2004), Cheers (1982-1993), and, to go really old school The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (1952-1966).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/03/16 at 1:24 pm

I would generally after 2000. I know it was definitely influential, but it has unfortunately overstayed it's welcome.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/16 at 2:55 pm

I think they did that with Bart and Lisa in one episode.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/16 at 3:01 pm

Or when Sam Simon died last year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/03/16 at 3:11 pm

Or when Sam Simon died last year.

Didn't he left the show during the fourth season?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/04/16 at 4:19 pm

No not to my knowledge.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/04/16 at 5:18 pm

I believe you're right. He was still credited as being an executive producer (after he had left) though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/04/16 at 5:19 pm

I believe you're right. He was still credited as being an executive producer (after he had left) though.

He was also credited as one of the developers, even in the current season.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/04/16 at 6:40 pm

To your other point, some other sitcoms that kept mostly the same roster of characters for a long period of time were Frasier (1993-2004), Cheers (1982-1993), and, to go really old school The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (1952-1966).

and speaking of this, The Big Bang Theory might be on its way of accomplishing this too!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/04/16 at 6:51 pm

and speaking of this, The Big Bang Theory might be on its way of accomplishing this too!

I doubt that it would have 28 seasons, compared to The Simpsons.

Written By: nally on 10/04/16 at 11:11 pm

yeah, many live-action (that is, not animated) scripted shows don't last 28 (or more) seasons.

Anyhoo, I agree with everyone who has mentioned that the show has "overstayed its welcome"; it just doesn't have the same feel that it did when it was a new program.

Check for new replies or respond here...