inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How different would your life be if you were born just a year earlier?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/04/16 at 4:56 pm

I'm making a sequel to aja657's topic. But this time it's just a year. I mostly made this topic for myself to see how just one year where I would be in my life, and how people would view me since I would be a different age.

Subject: Re: How different would your life be if you were born just a year earlier?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/04/16 at 5:15 pm

If I was born a year earlier, I would have been born in March 1998. To be honest, I don't really consider 1998 to be a year before I was born. Someone born in December 1998 is only three months older than me and most people born in 1998 are less than twelve months older than me. For the most part, my life probably wouldn't be any different. If I had of been born in 1998, then more people would consider me to be a "Gen Y/Z cusp". But no, because I was born three months later, I am in the same generation as people born in the 2010s...

Subject: Re: How different would your life be if you were born just a year earlier?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/04/16 at 5:19 pm

Well... there could be some things changed if I were born in 1998.

I would've been in Kindergarten during the 2003-04 school year, which had some early 2000s influences. (NYC has the January-December cutoff system)
I could regularly watch Nickelodeon during its silver age, along with Cartoon Network during the Powerhouse era.
I would probably have my first memories in 2001, but I'm not sure if it would be before or after 9/11.
I would enter middle school during the 2000s, although it would just be one term in the 2009-10 school year.
I would've been a legal adult in 2 months.
I would've had my entire elementary school career in the 2000s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/05/16 at 1:46 pm

If I came into the world on October of 1994, there would have been quite some change had that happened.

I would be viewed by people as just a regular younger millennial, and not been viewed as cusp bullsh*t. >:(
I would have gotten the Nintendo 64 in 1998, not 99.
I would have most likely had gotten the PS2 in the 01-02 season.
My first memory would have been in 1997 not 98.
I'd have a few more memories of MJ as a Bull.
I would have appreciated the Rams greatest show on Turf more, and I would recall our Super Bowl win against the Titans a lot more crystal clearly.
I would have entered my peak childhood before 2000.
I would seen the ENTIRE silver age of Nickelodeon. :o
I would have experienced a little more of Kids WB's golden age.
I would remember PBS before PBS kids debuted.
I would have discovered Cartoon Network in late 1999.
I would have started Toonami when Tom 1 was still host! :o 
I would have gotten into Pokemon in 1999-00 season when the franchise was at it's peak, instead of 2000-01.
I would have been more into the WWF/WCW Monday night wars against each other.
I would startred preschool right beofre the millenium era begun.
I would have had my ''main'' elementary school(K-5) experience during the WHOLE ENTIRE early-mid 00s. :o
I would have entered kindergarten before the century ended.
I would recall 9/11 more clearly.
I would have a different first grade teacher. >:(
I would be a quintessential early 00s kid with NO overlap.
I would have been 9 when I moved from downtown St. Louis from Florissant, MO.
I would have been towards the end of my childhood run when the second half of 00s started.
2004-05 school year would have been where I started to age out of the kiddy culture, instead of 05-06.
I would have became a teen in fall of 2007, before the shift of summer 08 happened.
My final year of grace chapel(preschool-8th grade) would have been in the 2008-09 season, the final late 00s season.
Being bullied in my final year at grace wouldn't have been NEARLY as severe.
I would have been at my high school during the ENTIRE early 2010s.
I'd be a solid late 00s and early 2010s teen
I would have voted for Obama in the 2012 election, and also in my senior year of high school. 8)
I would have graduated from my HS in 2013.( In Missouri our cutoff is mostly August-July)
My K-12 experience would have been the ENTIRE early 00s-early 10s.
I'd be turning 22 years old in a few weeks instead of 21.

Wow. :D all of this had I just entered the world just ONE FREAKIN YEAR earlier. :o

Written By: Howard on 10/05/16 at 2:40 pm

I would be 43 and probably looking forward to my 44th birthday.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/05/16 at 9:20 pm

Well, if I'd been born in 1986 there would be a few slight differences.

I would have a few clear memories from the 1980's.
I would've spent one full school year in the early '90s (1991-92).
I would probably have a few vague recollections of George H. W. Bush as President.
I probably would've gotten my Super Nintendo in 1991 instead of 1992.
I probably would've gotten my Sega Genesis earlier than Christmas 1993.
I would've been 13 in 1999 instead of 12, and thus might not have gotten into the Pokemon fad as much as I did.
I would've started high school in 2000, and encountered some early '80s babies as seniors.
I would've been eligible to vote in the 2004 election.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/06/16 at 3:57 am

I didn't really go into detail about how my life would be different, in my earlier post, so I have decided to list it below. If I was born in March 1998...

My first vivid memories would have started in 2002, not 2003.
My childhood (albeit, early childhood) would have taken place in more than half of the Early 2000s.
I would have started pre-school in 2002, not 2003.
I possibly could of started primary school in 2003, however I probably would of started in 2004 (much like how I was supposed to start in 2004, but I started in 2005 instead).
Generally speaking, I probably would of been viewed as being more of a "core 2000s kid", instead of being a hybrid Mid/Late 2000's kid.
As I briefly touched upon, more people would of considered me to be a "Gen Y/Z cusp", instead of an Early Gen Z.
I probably would of started to write my own songs in 2003, instead of 2004.
There's a good possibility that I might of had a vague memory from Late 1999, much like how I have a vague memory from Late 2000.
I would of received a laptop (from the Department of Education) in Year 9.
I wouldn't of had to do the NAPLAN test in Year 3.
I possibly could of graduated from school last year.
I would have been able to vote in the Federal Election this year.

Written By: Setemstraight on 10/06/16 at 8:29 am

Well, if I'd been born in 1986 there would be a few slight differences.

I would have a few clear memories from the 1980's.
I would've spent one full school year in the early '90s (1991-92).
I would probably have a few vague recollections of George H. W. Bush as President.
I probably would've gotten my Super Nintendo in 1991 instead of 1992.
I probably would've gotten my Sega Genesis earlier than Christmas 1993.
I would've been 13 in 1999 instead of 12, and thus might not have gotten into the Pokemon fad as much as I did.
I would've started high school in 2000, and encountered some early '80s babies as seniors.
I would've been eligible to vote in the 2004 election.

The only ones to have clear memories of the 80s is thousands born in 84 and back. 85 and 86ers only have vague memories of the 80s, not enough for it to shape their childhood. 

Written By: aja675 on 10/06/16 at 10:19 am

I don't think much would change, especially since I was put ahead in school. Well, my first musical memory was Mama by the Spice Girls from when I was only 1, which was an early teen pop song. Maybe if I were born in 1995, my first musical memory would be something more alt-rock/R&B/eurodance. Also, I'd actually have more than just 2-5 memories of 1997.  I'd think of 2000 as almost being part of my peak childhood and of 2001 as a core childhood year. I'd also be slightly more of a teen pop era kid. Not much would change, and most of the changes would affect my early childhood. (My teens would change a little bit, because I'd be a teen in 2008, and I'd barely qualify as a Friendster-era teen, and Friendster defined the '00s adolescent experience in Asia instead of MySpace.) I believe more would change if I were born in 1994 instead.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/06/16 at 10:23 am

I don't think much would change, especially since I was put ahead in school. Well, my first musical memory was Mama by the Spice Girls from when I was only 1, which was an early teen pop song. Maybe if I were born in 1995, my first musical memory would be something more alt-rock/R&B/eurodance. Also, I'd actually have more than just 2-5 memories of 1997.  I'd think of 2000 and 2001 as core childhood years. I'd also be slightly more of a teen pop era kid. Not much would change, and most of the changes would affect my early childhood. (My teens would change a little bit, because I'd be a teen in 2008, and I'd barely qualify as a Friendster-era teen, and Friendster defined '00s adolescence in Asia instead of MySpace.) I believe more would change if I were born in 1994 instead.

This thread was created so that Eric would have people share their alternate lives, if they were born earlier.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 11:50 am

I would probably be luckier!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 2:24 pm

I would probably remember my trip to America, from the Phillipines. Whoa!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 2:29 pm

I would remember all of the 90's.

For some reason, I speculate that I would be more into Goosebumps even.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/16 at 3:43 pm

I would probably be luckier!  ;D

In what way?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/16 at 9:19 pm

Not much would be different, I would just be one year older.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/06/16 at 9:46 pm

The only ones to have clear memories of the 80s is thousands born in 84 and back. 85 and 86ers only have vague memories of the 80s, not enough for it to shape their childhood.

I have a few clear memories from 1990, and can remember my younger brother being born in May 1991 despite still being a few weeks shy of my 4th birthday, so if I had been born in July 1986 I probably would have a few clear memories from 1989. It wouldn't have any impact on my childhood, though, obviously.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/16 at 7:36 am

Not much would be different, I would just be one year older.

and deeper in debt.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/07/16 at 10:06 pm

I likely wouldn't have made the friendships that I made in college and high school. I met a good friend in my homeroom in junior high school. My two best high school friends graduated with me. I might not have met a group of friends who graduated after me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/08/16 at 9:11 pm

I likely wouldn't have made the friendships that I made in college and high school. I met a good friend in my homeroom in junior high school. My two best high school friends graduated with me. I might not have met a group of friends who graduated after me.

It's like the opposite with me. If I was born a year earlier, then I would've graduated with one of my best friends in middle school.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/09/16 at 8:47 am

Not much would be different for me culturally, but wait. In my personal life, A LOT would have been different. I would have started elementary school in 2000 and started high school in 2009, which means my entire elementary school and middle school years would have been spent in every 2000's year. I would have had a totally different set of friends and acquaintances growing up which would have made my history different  :o so thank God I grew up in the Class of 2014 instead of 2013! Almost my entire high school years would have been spent during the electropop era of music instead of just the first half. I had a lot more to say if I was born 2 years earlier, but only 1 year earlier.... not much of a difference.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/09/16 at 9:50 pm

It's like the opposite with me. If I was born a year earlier, then I would've graduated with one of my best friends in middle school.

A year can make a huge difference in one's life. Even a second can.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/09/16 at 10:07 pm

:o so thank God I grew up in the Class of 2014 instead of 2013! Almost my entire high school years would have been spent during the electropop era of music instead of just the first half.

Musically speaking, what would you describe the second half?!

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/16 at 11:30 am

I actually know someone who was born exactly a year before me. Our life trajectories have been pretty similar, and we even work in the same field. Only difference I can think of is that he goes to parties all the time and gets laid, at least going by his Instagram.

Check for new replies or respond here...