inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the passage of time scary?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/16 at 2:40 pm

So there was a small discussion on how some events that occurred how people remembered them just like yesterday, but they were actually a long time ago! It is weird that in time, certain events will be much more long ago? For example:

WW2 will be a century by the 2040s :o

9/11 will be 30 in 2031 :o

Obama's 2008 win will be 50  in 2058 :o

This crazy election will be 20 in 2036

JFK's assassination will be 70 in 2033

Nixon's resignation will be 80 in 2054

OJ trial will be be 70 by 2064-65

Moreover, the following generations will pretty much be middle age or elderly in the 2050s:

MTV (X): 70s-90s

Millennials: 50s-70s

Plurals: 30s-50s

So do you all believe that time is scary in a way?

Subject: Re: Is the passage of time scary?

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/05/16 at 2:41 pm

Off-topic, but I don't really like the name "Plurals" for Gen Z. I prefer "Homelanders". :P "Plurals" sounds weird.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/16 at 2:43 pm

Off-topic, but I don't really like the name "Plurals" for Gen Z. I prefer "Homelanders". :P "Plurals" sounds weird.
It's not really off-topic, but I understand. ;D I think I should just use Homelanders from there on out.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/16 at 2:56 pm

1999 will be 18 years old next year. That's craaazy!!!  :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/05/16 at 3:10 pm

Basically, all those events would be really old by then. But I can't believe 1999 babies would be legal adults in 2017. It feels like yesterday when they turned 13 in 2012. Then they'll be old enough to get married (not that it would happen that early), go to college, etc.

Written By: Elor on 10/05/16 at 3:19 pm

Whenever I visit this site or go through old pictures I'm reminded of the old times and how long they are gone. It always reminds me of our own mortality and that we won't be around forever. :-[
Believe me, the older you get the faster the years fly. :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/05/16 at 3:23 pm

Whenever I visit this site or go through old pictures I'm reminded of the old times and how long they are gone. It always reminds me of our own mortality and that we won't be around forever. :-[

I felt like 4 days feel like 2 days now, for some reason. It might be me showing signs of being old, despite being a teenager.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/16 at 3:25 pm

I feel the same way. :(

Written By: muppethammer26 on 10/05/16 at 6:49 pm

In 20-30 years, all of us will be using quantum computers, print stuff using 3D printers and watch TV on the holographic screen.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/05/16 at 6:52 pm

In 20-30 years, all of us will be using quantum computers, print stuff using 3D printers and watch TV on the holographic screen.

It sounds more like The Jetsons, but it doesn't seem like it was created in the early 1960s.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 10/05/16 at 6:55 pm

It sounds more like The Jetsons, but it doesn't seem like it was created in the early 1960s.

The trends of the 10's will become old fashioned around the 30's-40's.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/16 at 6:59 pm

Is the passage of time scary?

Heehee! Depends. If you're having fun with your life, it should feel like it's at a moderate to fast pace.

If you're suffering, 10 years will feel no different than 25 years.

Written By: Starlighter on 10/05/16 at 7:27 pm

Sometimes the passage of time can be scary.  Sometimes it's depressing. 

As you get older time seems to go by more quickly.  Depending on one's personality this may make one feel like it went by in a flash and one had no time to savor it or one may be the live in the moment type of person and this doesn't really bother them.

It's scary when you think about all your loved ones and friends who are aging and you worry about them a lot more.   

The passage of time means you are aging and it can be depressing.  You can't do all the things you used to when you were younger.  For example, you can't stay up till dawn anymore because your body will automatically go to sleep whether you want to or not.  Another example is that you start to find that the foods you love to eat do things to you like give you heartburn sometimes.  You look in the mirror and start to see more lines in your face, more gray hairs so you look like you, but it doesn't really look like you if that makes sense.  If you had a good life you might be sad that those times have gone and you can't get them back.  You get nostalgic, you wish you can turn back time.  If you had a bad/tough life you feel sad that your life didn't turn out how you would have liked and it's sad knowing that you can never get that time back.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/05/16 at 8:40 pm

I'll be honest, it is getting a little bit scary for me.

A few weeks ago I was talking with a friend about the Y2K scare, and how stupid we all were for believing that the world was going to come to an end, when this younger guy (18-year-old) walked up and started joking about how he couldn't even remember Y2K. The fact that a dude in college couldn't remember Y2K stunned me for a second, until I remembered that all of that was 17 years ago!

It's just too much for me to take in sometimes. Seeing baby cousins that were born when I was in high school now getting learners permits, realizing that stuff I can remember clear as a bell happened 15-20 years ago. Having to deal with family members getting older and passing away. It all just sucks.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/05/16 at 10:32 pm

I think it's pretty eye-opening that 2007 is already almost a decade old. That year, I felt I was suddenly smacked into a world of modernity, where social media was standard, YouTube and other online video sites were primary sources of entertainment, gaming was now in its seventh generation, Apple products were king of the world, the Harry Potter septalogy had finally ended, and I began attending the high school that I still feel more attached to than my college to this day. Even though the period from 2001-2006 seemed pretty hi-tech while I was living through it, 2007 took this to a whole new level. Everything about that year felt so digitally grounded, and in fact just about all technology that's mainstream today existed in some form back in '07, from blu-rays, to Netflix video services, to YouTube, to smartphones, to online multiplayer gaming, to social media, to Skype, to motion-detection, to giant flatscreen computers and televisions, to Michael Bay's Transformers franchise.

Already, roughly the same amount of time has passed since my first day of high school as my last day of preschool. Sure, the introductions from around 2007 may have become more refined, HD video is much more prevalent outside of the cinema, music is synthier (albeit not really that different from what was already common in Europe since the mid-2000s), and gay marriage is much more accepted than ever before, but it still feels like the spirit of '07 is alive and well to this day, which makes it crazy to think that year is already as old now as the 1997-1998 school year was in 2007, as that was a time during which the dominant popular culture still had a pretty discernible Gen-X flavor to it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/06/16 at 3:33 am

The passage of time is scary. I turn 18 in just five months time, but I honestly don't feel any different from when I was 14 or 15. It is sort of depressing to think that the best years of my life are already over, and in what seems like such a short period of time. The one thing that scares me the most, is that you don't know if you will be living and breathing in the next few years, the next week or even in the next few days. Life can change so drastically and there is no guarantee that you will live to the ripe old age of 80-90 years old. Even though it feels as though time is getting quicker each year, I try to appreciate every moment, whether it is good or bad. Personally, I still can't comprehend the fact that 2007 is almost ten years ago. I was 8 years old at the time and I remember it so well.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/16 at 3:45 pm

It was made to look futuristic.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/16 at 3:49 pm

Sometimes the passage of time can be scary.  Sometimes it's depressing. 

As you get older time seems to go by more quickly.  Depending on one's personality this may make one feel like it went by in a flash and one had no time to savor it or one may be the live in the moment type of person and this doesn't really bother them.

It's scary when you think about all your loved ones and friends who are aging and you worry about them a lot more.   

The passage of time means you are aging and it can be depressing.  You can't do all the things you used to when you were younger.  For example, you can't stay up till dawn anymore because your body will automatically go to sleep whether you want to or not.  Another example is that you start to find that the foods you love to eat do things to you like give you heartburn sometimes.  You look in the mirror and start to see more lines in your face, more gray hairs so you look like you, but it doesn't really look like you if that makes sense.  If you had a good life you might be sad that those times have gone and you can't get them back.  You get nostalgic, you wish you can turn back time.  If you had a bad/tough life you feel sad that your life didn't turn out how you would have liked and it's sad knowing that you can never get that time back.

I try to live in the now, I don't really worry about the passage of time.

Written By: Elor on 10/06/16 at 4:26 pm

I try to live in the now, I don't really worry about the passage of time.
Ah, that's why you write ~44 posts per day on a nostalgia board. :D ;) :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/06/16 at 4:31 pm

Yes, yeah it is scary! :(
Be 21 in a few weeks and then the next year I'll ofically be closer to 25 than 18..... :o Jesus!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/06/16 at 4:50 pm

I thought he and Philip are the ones who post constantly on a daily basis.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 5:57 pm

Time goes on.

http://www.adweek.com/files/blogs/sky-father-time.jpg

Written By: Elor on 10/06/16 at 6:12 pm

Be 21 in a few weeks and then the next year I'll ofically be closer to 25 than 18..... :o Jesus!!
And one day you'll wake up being 35 and think "where the hell did my youth go????". I'll have that experience in a month. :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/06/16 at 6:55 pm

And one day you'll wake up being 35 and think "where the hell did my youth go????". I'll have that experience in a month. :\'(

I'm only 16 and a half, and I feel that sometimes.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 8:26 pm

I'm only 16 and a half, and I feel that sometimes.

You're a bit too young to feel like that, but hey, feelings are feelings.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/16 at 9:08 pm

Time goes on.

http://www.adweek.com/files/blogs/sky-father-time.jpg
I know how he feels!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/16 at 9:16 pm

I know how he feels!

:o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/06/16 at 10:41 pm

I still can't believe that the time I started high school is already 20 years ago.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/06/16 at 11:02 pm

So there was a small discussion on how some events that occurred how people remembered them just like yesterday, but they were actually a long time ago! It is weird that in time, certain events will be much more long ago? For example:

"I'll be dead of old age or stupidity before half of that list happens!"

Getting old isn't that bad.  It beats the alternative

I'm an Xer.  I got to live in pre-9/11 America and live through the era in which the Commies - who were the Big Bad Boss Enemy of my society for three generations - fall apart.  Got ten years of peace and prosperity between then and 9/11.  From that point, I can flip a coin: Heads, the world implodes into a police state dystopia, but I win because I got to see the high point of western democracy and everyone after that has known nothing other than perpetual surveillance and perpetual warfare.  Tails, the world turns out awesome and I can enjoy a future of virtual reality, medical nanobots, and vacation trips to Mars that people younger than me have yet to build.

Which is also what the long-dead survivors of WW1 and the Spanish Flu might have said:  Even if WW1 wasn't "the war to end all wars", they got to see society go from horseback to airplanes, saw antibiotics make diseases like tuberculosis curable, and vaccines virtually eliminate polio and smallpox and diptheria and measles and... the list goes on.

Which is also what the Silent survivors of WW2 might have said:  At least we beat the Nazis, even the Russians nuke us.  (They didn't, and the Silents lived in a world in which "refrigerators are neat!" to "let's spend a month's income to fly halfway around the world on a jet!")

Which is also what their Boomer kids might still say:  At least the draft is over, even if we end up nuking the Russians.  (We didn't, and the Boomers became the yuppies, the generation that really had the chance to make bank out of the 80s-era of deregulation, even more so than mine!)

Call it a hunch.  25 years from now, there are going to be Millennials muttering things like "Well, we survived the Great Financial Crisis of 2008, and even if Giant Meteor 2025 had hit us, the Immortality Nanobots would have been able to clean up most of the mess anyways."

Written By: Howard on 10/07/16 at 7:31 am

That's OK, I have no problem with you. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/07/16 at 7:32 am

I'll be 43 in just a few more months.  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/07/16 at 7:33 am

I thought he and Philip are the ones who post constantly on a daily basis.

Him and I post more cause I see him a lot on the boards.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/16 at 7:34 am

I still can't believe that the time I started high school is already 20 years ago.

I started High School 28 years ago.  :o

Written By: Elor on 10/07/16 at 7:55 am

That's OK, I have no problem with you. :)
Good, it also wasn't meant in an offensive way. :)

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/07/16 at 10:49 am

Moreover, the following generations will pretty much be middle age or elderly in the 2050s:

MTV (X): 70s-90s

Millennials: 50s-70s

Plurals: 30s-50s

So do you all believe that time is scary in a way?

I find it fascinating. What people find scary is the fact that things that they consider as "recent" wouldn't be very recent. We remember things as if they happened last year, but rather it's been the last 2 decades or so. By 2050 the early 21st century (2001-2039) would be considered "retro" or "classic" . This time period we see today will soon become the classical era. Kids in the mid 21st century would be reading the Clinton vs Trump election in their history books while we're experiencing it right now. Hipsters would soon reach the Hippies level of old. We'd be in 2056 looking at Youtube videos from 2006. Wonder what that's going to be like.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 10/07/16 at 1:36 pm

I find it fascinating. What people find scary is the fact that things that they consider as "recent" wouldn't be very recent. We remember things as if they happened last year, but rather it's been the last 2 decades or so. By 2050 the early 21st century (2001-2039) would be considered "retro" or "classic" . This time period we see today will soon become the classical era. Kids in the mid 21st century would be reading the Clinton vs Trump election in their history books while we're experiencing it right now. Hipsters would soon reach the Hippies level of old. We'd be in 2056 looking at Youtube videos from 2006. Wonder what that's going to be like.  :-\\

Why are you looking 40 years into the future? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/07/16 at 1:38 pm

So he could make a point.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/07/16 at 5:26 pm

50 years. And I only did that to make a point like NewYorkEagle mentioned. Just me talking jappering about how random stuff of the mid 21st century. Doesn't have to be 50 years either (in case of Youtube). By 2026 it'll be 20 years old.  It's just fun to look/speculate how things will be in the future. Just to think that we see everything in 2010s to be modern, but by the mid 21st century all that we see now will be irrelevent and outdated.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 7:43 pm

It really is scary. We are as far away from 2010 as 2010 was from 2002. 2010 will be a decade old in only a couple of years, and I don't think I will get used to a year in the 2010's being a decade old.

As of today, April 15, 2016, is as far away as January 1st, 2020. We are closer to 2020 than the year 2015. We only have 678 days left until 2020. :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/22/18 at 8:47 pm

It really is scary. We are as far away from 2010 as 2010 was from 2002. 2010 will be a decade old in only a couple of years, and I don't think I will get used to a year in the 2010's being a decade old.

As of today, April 15, 2016, is as far away as January 1st, 2020. We are closer to 2020 than the year 2015. We only have 678 days left until 2020. :o
I know! :o. I can't believe we blazed through this decade so quickly. 2010 should obviously seem like yesterday, but it's not. It was almost a decade ago! Yeah, I think a lot of people will be hit in the feels soon when this era is over 10 years. Just look how people are still feeling about the 00s. They're still not over the fact it was over a decade ago or two and to them, it still seems relatively recent.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 8:52 pm

I know! :o. I can't believe we blazed through this decade so quickly. 2010 should obviously seem like yesterday, but it's not. It was almost a decade ago! Yeah, I think a lot of people will be hit in the feels soon when this era is over 10 years. Just look how people are still feeling about the 00s. They're still not over the fact it was over a decade ago or two and to them, it still seems relatively recent.

I agree. It's hard to believe how far away we are from the 2000's. I remember when 2009 was recent and modern and nine years later I'm surprised by how dated it is. :o It's hard to imagine that one day 2018 will eventually look very dated.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/22/18 at 9:10 pm

I agree. It's hard to believe how far away we are from the 2000's. I remember when 2009 was recent and modern and nine years later I'm surprised by how dated it is. :o It's hard to imagine that one day 2018 will eventually look very dated.
I know! It's going to be frightening. 2018 in the future will still look too fresh for people to see it as dated.

Check for new replies or respond here...