inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pick Your "Groundhog" Decade

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 2:03 am

This is a variation on the other thread. Let's say that you have to relive the same decade over and over again. You can choose just one decade with no overlapping decades. Say that you love the '70s. You can't include stuff from the '60s or the '80s. It starts at the beginning of 1970. It ends at the end of 1979. You'll be in your chosen decade until you pass from this mortal coil.  :D

I pick the '80s. There was peace and prosperity for most of the decade. There was a feeling of hope for the future. People stayed in touch with each other. Sadly, AIDS and crack ruined many lives, so things weren't perfect. It was good, on balance, though. There were more positives than negatives. Oh, for a time machine!

Examples:
Fashion: "Crockett suits", Members Only jackets, Ray-Bans, skinny ties
Movies: ET, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Back To The Future, Batman
Music: Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, Prince, Madonna
TV: The Cosby Show, Miami Vice, The A-Team, Magnum P.I.
Sports: Larry Bird, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Montana, Mike Tyson
Leaders: Reagan, Thatcher, Gorbachev, Pope John Paul II
Society: more freedom, less terrorism, little racial discord, no endless wars

Subject: Re: Pick Your "Groundhog" Decade

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 2:32 am

It reminds me of a cartoon/satire show, where nobody grows up.  ;D

Like you're 17 years old forever in every episode. I'll give my answer in a few minutes. I need a potty break.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 2:55 am

It's between the 1960's and 1980's for me. Life pre-1955 doesn't seem to fit my taste when it comes to pop culture (except the 1930's, but the technology for 1939 isn't my favorite). The 1970's are okay, but it doesn't appeal to me. I already lived in the 1990's, so I want something new. The 00's and 10's aren't my favorite pop culturally.

I love the fashion of the 1950's, but that's all I like about the 1950's.

So it's a showdown between the 1960's and 1980's.

I won't go into detail, but I choose the 1980's over the 1960's, for me. I don't care if everybody else picks the 1980's, I'm picking the 1980's. I know it's normal to hate picking what everybody else picks, but that's how much I like the 1980's.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/12/16 at 7:02 am

Since I like to convert old VHS/Betamax shows from TV, the ability to actually record in the '80s would be so wonderful, only to find out that I'd allegedly lose all my possessions at the end of 1989, which is a shame since it was sort of its version of YouTube/Netflix by simply having a tape collection, even if they were fairly expensive early in the decade. Sure, we'll never get to see people on Mars (even that's still in Jeopardy in real life), the chance to go behind the Iron Curtain, cities that were still dingy and had more drugs/crime, or the Super Nintendo/Sonic the Hedgehog, but I'd get to see my grandparents when they were still alive, my parents when they were in their 20s/early 30s, the peak of '50s and later '60s nostalgia (which is why I would pick the 1980s), classic cars from the '50s/'60s that were still affordable and IMO superior to the boxy cars of the time, video arcades at their peak, the opportunity to still find silver coins through roll hunting (especially at the start of the decade when the price was briefly at $50 an ounce), Hi-NRG and Freestyle music, MTV, CNN, The Weather channel, early ESPN, Nickelodeon, Saturday Morning Cartoons, movie stars that still acted like stars, network TV at its best with daytime game shows/soap operas and few but intelligent talk shows, and of course, most importantly, people who never looked on their phones and would always make eye contact! Plus, no worries about being drafted or fighting in any war!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 10:30 am

I'll rather pick the 2000s. As much as people had to listen to George W. Bush for 8 years, it didn't really matter so much to me. I was only a kid during the 2000s, so my innocence would most likely shield that. But I find '43 Bush's presidency interesting, since he did try to help America after 9/11. Even with that, I'll be happy to see Obama getting elected as president in 2008. However, I think anybody would know that I'm picking the 2000s because it's my childhood. I would love to watch a bunch of great shows, movies, and videos on the Internet. Same with listening to music that was diverse. Hell, I would even love to see the Internet more into its golden age, where everybody used message boards, instant messengers, and various websites.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/12/16 at 11:11 am

Since you're limited to a single, full, chronological decade, this thread is pretty much just a variation of "what is your favorite decade?", but I suppose I'll go with the 90s because while I adore the 80s and am pissed that I wasn't alive during any part of them, the 90s were a better balance of eclectic media, solid technology, and better living conditions if you were gay. Plus, 1990 still has a strong amount of 80s influence, even though the final quarter of the 90s introduced pretty much all of the best things about the 2000s decade as well. Plus, wouldn't it be so fittingly ironic to wind up back on January 1, 1990 after the Y2K countdown of all things?

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 10/12/16 at 11:33 am

2010s. It's not my favorite decade, but I like to stay as close to the present as possible. I did have some terrible events this decade though. 2010 and 2011 would be great years to relive in terms of what happened. Would I keep aging when it restarted, is it different then what has already happened in my personal life? That matters to me, if I keep reliving the same moments, I'm going with 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/16 at 2:46 pm

It would definitely be the 1980's for sure.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 9:07 pm

It's between the 1960's and 1980's for me. Life pre-1955 doesn't seem to fit my taste when it comes to pop culture (except the 1930's, but the technology for 1939 isn't my favorite). The 1970's are okay, but it doesn't appeal to me. I already lived in the 1990's, so I want something new. The 00's and 10's aren't my favorite pop culturally.

I love the fashion of the 1950's, but that's all I like about the 1950's.

So it's a showdown between the 1960's and 1980's.

I won't go into detail, but I choose the 1980's over the 1960's, for me. I don't care if everybody else picks the 1980's, I'm picking the 1980's. I know it's normal to hate picking what everybody else picks, but that's how much I like the 1980's.

The fashion, of the early '60s, is classy and tasteful. People really knew how to dress in style, which might have been a carryover from the '50s, a decade when men wore hats. Some '80s clothing trends were reminiscent of the "Mad Men" era. For instance, both decades had skinny tie fads.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 9:18 pm

Since I like to convert old VHS/Betamax shows from TV, the ability to actually record in the '80s would be so wonderful, only to find out that I'd allegedly lose all my possessions at the end of 1989, which is a shame since it was sort of its version of YouTube/Netflix by simply having a tape collection, even if they were fairly expensive early in the decade. Sure, we'll never get to see people on Mars (even that's still in Jeopardy in real life), the chance to go behind the Iron Curtain, cities that were still dingy and had more drugs/crime, or the Super Nintendo/Sonic the Hedgehog, but I'd get to see my grandparents when they were still alive, my parents when they were in their 20s/early 30s, the peak of '50s and later '60s nostalgia (which is why I would pick the 1980s), classic cars from the '50s/'60s that were still affordable and IMO superior to the boxy cars of the time, video arcades at their peak, the opportunity to still find silver coins through roll hunting (especially at the start of the decade when the price was briefly at $50 an ounce), Hi-NRG and Freestyle music, MTV, CNN, The Weather channel, early ESPN, Nickelodeon, Saturday Morning Cartoons, movie stars that still acted like stars, network TV at its best with daytime game shows/soap operas and few but intelligent talk shows, and of course, most importantly, people who never looked on their phones and would always make eye contact! Plus, no worries about being drafted or fighting in any war!

There were no real worries about drafts or wars. Some people thought that there would be American military actions in Central America, though. The Grenadian rescue mission was the only major western hemispheric military operation. Most of the Latin American activity was covert in nature.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 9:24 pm

I'll rather pick the 2000s. As much as people had to listen to George W. Bush for 8 years, it didn't really matter so much to me. I was only a kid during the 2000s, so my innocence would most likely shield that. But I find '43 Bush's presidency interesting, since he did try to help America after 9/11. Even with that, I'll be happy to see Obama getting elected as president in 2008. However, I think anybody would know that I'm picking the 2000s because it's my childhood. I would love to watch a bunch of great shows, movies, and videos on the Internet. Same with listening to music that was diverse. Hell, I would even love to see the Internet more into its golden age, where everybody used message boards, instant messengers, and various websites.

There's a crazy phenomenon linked to ages and generations. It's like our childhood (up to age twelve) is a very long era of its own. The whole world seems like a much different time period when we're in a position to understand things. We also don't share childhood recollections with members of our generation who are just a few years older/younger.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 9:32 pm

Since you're limited to a single, full, chronological decade, this thread is pretty much just a variation of "what is your favorite decade?", but I suppose I'll go with the 90s because while I adore the 80s and am pissed that I wasn't alive during any part of them, the 90s were a better balance of eclectic media, solid technology, and better living conditions if you were gay. Plus, 1990 still has a strong amount of 80s influence, even though the final quarter introduced pretty much all of the best things about the 2000s decade as well. Plus, wouldn't it be so fittingly ironic to wind up back on January 1, 1990 after the Y2K countdown of all things?

Yeah, there's an out in that you can still enjoy things from past decades. You can listen to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in the '90s. You can watch reruns of "Barney Miller". You can wear your aunt's Madonna clothes.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 9:36 pm

2010s. It's not my favorite decade, but I like to stay as close to the present as possible. I did have some terrible events this decade though. 2010 and 2011 would be great years to relive in terms of what happened. Would I keep aging when it restarted, is it different then what has already happened in my personal life? That matters to me, if I keep reliving the same moments, I'm going with 2000s.

That's a good question. Maybe it could be like the movie. We could learn what we should or shouldn't do, based on our experience. "About Time" was like "Groundhog Day" in this regard.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 9:41 pm

It would definitely be the 1980's for sure.

That's the most popular choice. That decade seems like it has the best of all or most worlds. It's like it has the best overall grade when you consider all things. It was a perfect storm in a good way.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 9:24 am

There's a crazy phenomenon linked to ages and generations. It's like our childhood (up to age twelve) is a very long era of its own. The whole world seems like a much different time period when we're in a position to understand things. We also don't share childhood recollections with members of our generation who are just a few years older/younger.

I think my childhood doesn't really share a lot of things between Generation Y and Z. Especially when I don't really count age 12 as part of my childhood, since that's when I started to be more like a teen, instead of a preteen.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/13/16 at 9:22 pm

I think my childhood doesn't really share a lot of things between Generation Y and Z. Especially when I don't really count age 12 as part of my childhood, since that's when I started to be more like a teen, instead of a preteen.

Yeah, junior high school seems to be the time when most people move away from childhood into adolescence. It's like they enter a new generation because they don't enjoy the same things that younger kids do.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/14/16 at 1:23 am

Probably doesn't come as a surprise, but I would choose the 90s.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/14/16 at 9:57 pm

Probably doesn't come as a surprise, but I would choose the 90s.

That might be my second choice. It was a good decade for me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 10:59 am

Yeah, junior high school seems to be the time when most people move away from childhood into adolescence. It's like they enter a new generation because they don't enjoy the same things that younger kids do.

I felt like my childhood was drifting away during my 7th and 8th grade years.

Written By: Emman on 10/15/16 at 4:06 pm

With some minor touches here and there I think there's been a pop cultural Groundhog-like era since the late 1990s. 20 years of stagnation is just too much, I want something new, I don't want to relive any previous decade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 4:51 pm

With some minor touches here and there I think there's been a pop cultural Groundhog-like era since the late 1990s. 20 years of stagnation is just too much, I want something new, I don't want to relive any previous decade.

So to you, we've been living in the same era since 1996?

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/15/16 at 8:43 pm

I felt like my childhood was drifting away during my 7th and 8th grade years.

It likely was seventh grade for me. I stopped watching cartoons then. Fortunately, I kept some of my games and toys. I still have many of my Hot Wheels.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 9:07 pm

It likely was seventh grade for me. I stopped watching cartoons then. Fortunately, I kept some of my games and toys. I still have many of my Hot Wheels.

It was a bit different in 7th grade. However, 8th grade was the one that changed what I liked personally. I started watching horror movies, played violent games, and listened to more mature music every day during my 8th grade year.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/15/16 at 10:34 pm

I'd have to go with the 90's but on the condition that I get to stay at least 20 from 1990-1999. ;)

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/16/16 at 10:05 pm

I get that. You can blame the people who pick and choose who to promote at the expense of many people who deserve it more. What great singers are ignored while Justin Bieber is treated like this generation's Michael Jackson? Why are the Kardashians forced onto us?

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/16/16 at 10:08 pm

It was a bit different in 7th grade. However, 8th grade was the one that changed what I liked personally. I started watching horror movies, played violent games, and listened to more mature music every day during my 8th grade year.

I was a big fan of Universal monster movies when I was in grade school. I loved Dracula and Frankenstein. I got into science fiction when I was in junior high school. I also went from Top Forty to hard rock then.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/16/16 at 10:11 pm

I'd have to go with the 90's but on the condition that I get to stay at least 20 from 1990-1999. ;)

I can't argue with that! I'll go with 21. I looked like I was 16 when I was 20. I couldn't go to any bars or clubs with older friends, especially WITH a fake ID.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...