inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year of High School Class was the first to take a liking to Hip-Hop?

Written By: tv on 10/31/16 at 12:31 am

I wanted to get peoples opinion on what year of High School Class was the first to take a liking to Hip-Hop? I wouldn't say something like the HS Classes of 1989 or 1991 because that's just too soon. Maybe the HS class of 1993 because they that HS Class started out as Freshman in September 1989 and they saw the very very quick downfall of Vanilla Ice's Popularity and MC Hammer's 2nd album in 1992 (Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em') sold half of what his first album did which was released in 1990 and by 1995 his popularity was pretty much zero. Hammer was getting dissed on records from LL Cool J, and 3rd Bass in the early 1990's. The HS Class of 1993 saw Gangsta Rap's Popularity escalate with Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" in 1992 and Ice-T's song "Cop K**ller" generated backlash the way 80's Heavy Metal did back in the 80's .

Subject: Re: What year of High School Class was the first to take a liking to Hip-Hop?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/31/16 at 6:00 am

Frankly, I think the class of 1992 are the first ones who took a liking towards hip-hop, especially gangsta rap. I don't really believe the classes of 1989-1991 would be interested endearingly, since they were freshmen between 1985-1987, a few years before gangsta rap was mainstream and where it got political attention.

Subject: Re: What year of High School Class was the first to take a liking to Hip-Hop?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/31/16 at 7:59 am

Realistically, as early as the class of 1980 (thanks to Rapper's Delight and an early Fatback song that both came out in '79) could get into that, but more realistically, I'd say the class of 1988, since by then you had a couple dozen popular rap songs out by then. However, this applies to NYC/LA-area schools that tend to catch on to these trends. The class of 1991 I'd say would be when Middle America started producing hip hop fans in the wake of MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice's blockbuster successes, and it hasn't looked back upon since. Definitely by 1992 as my own high school's video yearbook from that year features some hip hop songs!

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/31/16 at 9:23 pm

Realistically, as early as the class of 1980 (thanks to Rapper's Delight and an early Fatback song that both came out in '79) could get into that, but more realistically, I'd say the class of 1988, since by then you had a couple dozen popular rap songs out by then. However, this applies to NYC/LA-area schools that tend to catch on to these trends. The class of 1991 I'd say would be when Middle America started producing hip hop fans in the wake of MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice's blockbuster successes, and it hasn't looked back upon since. Definitely by 1992 as my own high school's video yearbook from that year features some hip hop songs!

It was popular in some midwestern states when Run DMC had hits on the charts. It depended on the areas and the schools. The Beastie Boys were big back then too. Their songs were played at a lot of get-togethers.

Check for new replies or respond here...