inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What If you were born 6 years earlier

Written By: d90 on 11/26/16 at 1:23 pm

This is inspired by topics like  aja657's topic. I have an older sibling born in 1984 and pondered what it be like if i was born that year

Subject: Re: What If you were born 6 years earlier

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/16 at 3:34 pm

Hmm, let's see if I was born in 1987...

My Internet cred would be untouchable as a real '90s kid. I could cyber bully all the #triggered '90s babies who never heard of the block button, and insult them for being dumb millennials while I'm real Generation Y!!

But I'd still be a useless, pansy, post-1987 millennial.

Okay but seriously...

Growing up with 4th Gen would have been the best. I hate that I missed out on it. Watching the Disney movies as they come out in theatres would've been boss. Most my childhood would have been pre-Internet and cellphones getting popular, that would have been an amazing transformation to witness and understand fully.

I imagine my main childhood hobbies (playing video games, riding my bike, swimming, reading/listening to books) would've been unaltered.  After that, it all really depends on how much I can tolerate being on dial up until I'm 16 in 2003.

Middle school/high school would have been way rougher w.r.t. homophobia. I literally barely made it out alive in the mid-late 2000s. The late '90s/early 2000s would have killed me for sure. I remember when gay marriage was legalized here in 2003 by the Supreme Court, the polls said only ~30% of people supported it. Even in my super liberal city, all the teens (and the kids, including me) were super homophobic. It was the peak of, "that's so gay". Do not want!!

Being in middle school in the late 1990s would be interesting, though. Maybe there's a grass is greener syndrome, but playing Gameboy, buying Pokémon cards, playing Mario Party 2/Crash Bandicoot on N64/PS1 and teen pop/pop punk all sound way more innocent and more my vibe. That's compared to the PSP, Grand Theft Auto,  John Cena, cyber sex, emo, crunk rap and reality TV show middle school experience. It felt more gritty, and emphasized the teen part of preteen instead of the pre.

I would have been in university in the late 2000s. That feels like a huge difference to me. The music would be mostly club R&B and snap rap, instead of electropop and EDM. Probably not many people would have smartphones. The political atmosphere would be apathetic instead of the post-recession hypercharged. There would probably not be as many online resources which would suck fish balls. But at least my university wouldn't have had so much annoying and ugly construction.

I would graduate into the recession! Eek! Probably not that bad for my field, which was going through a massive boom then tbh. Unless I got a job at BlackBerry or Kitchener in general, then OOPS. It would suck to see my friends suffer though, and a lot of my friends who graduated 2014-2016 already struggle a lot as it is, and some going back to school for a second degree. Eek. 

I would still be young in the early-mid 2010s so that's still neat. Not sure about settling down in the late 2010s. I don't ever wanna do that!  ;D go see the world!

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/16 at 3:55 pm

I would be born in late 1982. So I would be able to remember 1987 and afterwards. And all of the 1990's.  :)

Written By: d90 on 11/26/16 at 4:04 pm

If i was born in 1984
i would have memories of the late 80s and early 90s
i would have gotten into the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle craze as a 6 year old
Not pay attention to the Cold War news as it was going on.
See new episodes of Ducktales, Gooftroop, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Smurfs on Saturday mornings.
Eat a bowl of Nintendo Cereal.
Graduate from highschool in 2002 or 2003.
Have a deep interest in the music of the late 90s and early 2000s.
Feel old in 2008 and 2011 when babies born in 1990 turn 18 and 21.
Feel more old in 2012 when most of those born in 1994 graduate from high school and again in 2014 when i turned 30.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/16 at 4:31 pm

I ALWAYS felt that I should have been born 5 years earlier than I was. Maybe I was-but didn't live long and was reincarnated. Hey, you never know.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/26/16 at 5:44 pm

If I was born in 1968, I would've be 48 today.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/26/16 at 6:33 pm

If I'd been born in July 1981, I would've started school in 1986, and thus would've spent over half of my elementary school career in the '80s. Instead of an NES, the first video game system I played probably would have been a 2nd gen console like the Atari 2600 or the Intellivision. I would remember the Cold War, and better remember a time before cable television. All-in-all, though, I don't think my childhood would've been that different despite being an '81er. I would've grown up without internet, cell phones or 3D video games, which was largely how I did in the '90s.

I would've been in junior high school from 1992-1995 as opposed to 1998-2001. Being the huge 1987er Nirvana fan that I am (Nevermind was one of the first albums I ever brought in the late '90s) I'm sure I would've been an even bigger fan as an early '90s middle-schooler. I could easily see myself wearing flannel, ripped jeans and the whole nine yards. April 8, 1994 would probably have been a day just as traumatic to me as September 11, 2001.

Being in high school from 1995-1999 would've been interesting. Since Columbine would've happened just a few weeks before my graduation, I would've effectively gone my whole school career without having the specter of school shootings hanging over my head. Also, assuming my parents still don't get internet access until 2000, I would've gone my entire school career without the internet, or cell phones either.

The main area where my life would be different is college and after. I would've graduated college around 2003 or so, which means I could've had several years to find a career for myself before the Great Recession kicked into high gear. I suspect I wouldn't be facing some of the financial problems I've been having in recent years if that had been the case.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/16 at 6:35 pm

I ALWAYS felt that I should have been born 5 years earlier than I was. Maybe I was-but didn't live long and was reincarnated. Hey, you never know.

Cat

I was supposed to be born in 1989, but they pushed me into an earlier soul group of 1988 born fetuses!  :-X  :-X

Written By: muppethammer26 on 11/26/16 at 8:46 pm

Here are the differences if I was born 6 years earlier (1990):

1. I would have firsthand knowledge of 9/11 on the day that it happened.
2. I would have went to elementary in the late 90's, middle in the early 00's and high in the mid/late 00's.
3. I would have been played the PS1/N64 during my childhood and the PS2/Xbox during my teenhood.
4. I would have gotten into the Pokemon/boy band craze in the late 90's/early 00's.
5. Drink a bottle of Pepsi Blue in 2002.
6. Pay more attention to the War on Terror news as it was going on.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/26/16 at 8:50 pm

Damn, really? 1993 wouldn't be an enjoyable year to be born with.

I would've been a very late 90s/early 2000s kid to start with. Although, being in elementary school during that time would've been okay. I mean, most of my childhood did came from early 2000s influences (especially the kids shows), but I would've been too old for some of the shows that I enjoyed in my actual childhood. Although, that would've meant that I could watch a lot of silver age Nickelodeon and golden age Cartoon Network. With that, I could've identified more with being an early 2000s kid at that point.

Being a middle schooler during the mid 2000s would be alright. It's not like I would be very progressive towards politics, especially during the '43 Bush Administration. However, I would've just made fun of the guy through Reddit and Myspace memes at the time. I wouldn't be very fond with Bill Clinton though, since I would barely have any memories during his presidency.

Being in high school during the late 2000s/very early 2010s would've been cool. I would've liked watching classic YouTube videos and all the other Internet crap that happened. Sure, there would be the Great Recession, but I think I could live through it. It's just more about Obama getting elected than having George W. Bush as president throughout the remainder of his second term.

Going through college in the mid 2010s would be the only personal era where it's like hell. I would despise most of my classmates, just because they whine like little sh*ts and would want "safe spaces" from random bullcrap. Not to mention that they'll get offended over every single little thing possible, unless it's all baby-friendly. If I were going to be nostalgic, I would've been nostalgic over the early-mid 2000s. Frankly, being a little kid in late 1998/1999 would've been boring and wouldn't describe my life so well. It would be like my infanthood, but I could actually remember it. So... being born in 1993 would be lame. No offense for anybody born in the early 90s.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/26/16 at 10:49 pm

I would have loved to have been born six years earlier (1993).

My early childhood would have been somewhat similar. I still would of had a Playstation and I would of listened to the same bands that my parents listened to, such as Pearl Jam, Collective Soul, Garbage, Soundgarden etc. 1995 would probably be the first year that I would be able to remember things. The shows that I watched in my early childhood would have mostly remained the same as well. I still would have watched The Magic School Bus, Pingu, Thomas the Tank Engine, The Wiggles, Arthur etc.

I would have started primary school in 1998 or 1999. My primary school experiences would have been reasonably similar to what I experienced in real life. I still would have watched shows/movies on analogue TVs and on VHS. As a seven year old kid, I would have enjoyed listening to Hybrid Theory, when it was released.

To be honest, I would be more proud of the year I was born in, if I was born in 1993. Truth be told, I don't particularly like the year I was born in (1999). Not only was I born in the crappiest year for 90s music, but I missed out on experiencing the 90s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/27/16 at 1:56 pm

If I had been born 6 years earlier, then I would have been able to vote in the 2006 midterms and the 2008 election as I clearly recall the "Hope & Change" Campaign. I would be close to 30 right now, but I would still be handsome ;) ;D. I would most likely be married, own a house and have children.

Like Slowpoke, it would have awesome to experience the 4th gen since the both consoles had their own share of classic games despite that I had already owned a SNES. I would have been part of the Turtlemania and enjoyed the movies. My childhood would've also been unaltered, but my adolescence would've definitely changed.

I would have began elementary in the early 90s and secondary school (JHS and HS) in late 90s and university in the mid 00s.

It would suck to see my friends suffer though, and a lot of my friends who graduated 2014-2016 already struggle a lot as it is, and some going back to school for a second degree. Eek.
I feel you man. Some of my friends and people I know are going through the same thing. We may have been in HS when the recession occurred, but it still took a toll on us.

I born in the crappiest year for 90s music
I hope you don't believe that 1999 was all Teen Pop right? There was way much more than that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/27/16 at 2:10 pm

Not only was I born in the crappiest year for 90s music, but I missed out on experiencing the 90s.

Well, what did you expect? 1999 babies wouldn't really have any memories during the decade, since they were born during the last year of the 90s. At least some of them remember life before or during 9/11, not that they would understand it though. Also, 1999 had some cool songs in my opinion. Just because it was dominated by teen pop, that didn't mean it sucked all the way through. I mean, you did have All Star (by Smash Mouth), and Guerilla Radio (by Rage Against the Machine) to name a few.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/27/16 at 2:34 pm

I hope you don't believe that 1999 was all Teen Pop right? There was way much more than that.

I understand that. However, i'm still not a fan of most of the Top-40 singles which were released that year.

Also, 1999 had some cool songs in my opinion. Just because it was dominated by teen pop, that didn't mean it sucked all the way through. I mean, you did have All Star (by Smash Mouth), and Guerilla Radio (by Rage Against the Machine) to name a few.

Personally, the only songs I like (which were released in 1999) are "Take a Picture" by Filter, "Learn To Fly" by the Foo Fighters and one or two other songs. This is just my opinion, but most of the Top-40 hit singles from the year are really cringeworthy and not that appealing.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/27/16 at 3:05 pm

I understand that. However, i'm still not a fan of most of the Top-40 singles which were released that year.

Personally, the only songs I like (which were released in 1999) are "Take a Picture" by Filter, "Learn To Fly" by the Foo Fighters and one or two other songs. This is just my opinion, but most of the Top-40 hit singles from the year are really cringeworthy and not that appealing.
So I take it you're not a fan of urban music (Hip-hop & R&B) or techno?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/27/16 at 3:27 pm

Well, I could get that. Although, I would be more biased against what I say about 1999, since I kinda like the year culturally.

Well, I don't really think there's a lot of Australians who like a lot of American hip hop or urban rap.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/27/16 at 10:08 pm

Definitely not. Rock and grunge are my favourite music genres. The only time I ever listen to hip-hop, is when I am listening to "Nobody's Listening" on Meteora. :P

Well, I don't really think there's a lot of Australians who like a lot of American hip hop or urban rap.

I'm probably the worst person to ask (because I don't like hip-hop or urban rap), however I know that American hip-hop and urban rap artists are liked by some Australians. I personally don't know anyone who does, but there would be people who would like it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/27/16 at 10:10 pm

I'm probably the worst person to ask (because I don't like hip-hop or urban rap), however I know that American hip-hop and urban rap artists are liked by some Australians. I personally don't know anyone who does, but there would be people who would like it.

I think it's just a small amount of the population who do like urban rap. I don't think it's big in any other country outside of North America and Europe.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/27/16 at 10:21 pm

Definitely not. Rock and grunge are my favourite music genres. The only time I ever listen to hip-hop, is when I am listening to "Nobody's Listening" on Meteora. :P
How about techno/house music, R&B, and adult contemporary?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/27/16 at 10:24 pm

How about techno/house music, R&B, and adult contemporary?

I'm definitely not a fan of techno/house music or R&B. Admittedly, I try to avoid those genres at all costs. As for adult contemporary, it really depends on the song/artist and when it was released. Generally speaking, i'm not a fan of 80s or 2010s adult contemporary.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/27/16 at 10:40 pm

I'm definitely not a fan of techno/house music or R&B. Admittedly, I try to avoid those genres at all costs. As for adult contemporary, it really depends on the song/artist and when it was released. Generally speaking, i'm not a fan of 80s or 2010s adult contemporary.
So you pretty much only enjoy Rock music?

You're one of the few people I know that only likes Rock/Alternative. I actually listen the genre too, but there is so much diversity in music out there to enjoy. Just listening to one genre can get tiring sometimes.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/27/16 at 10:50 pm

You're one of the few people I know that only likes Rock/Alternative. I actually listen the genre too, but there is so much diversity in music out there to enjoy. Just listening to one genre can get tiring sometimes.

Pretty much. I do like one or two songs from other genres as well. Overall, however, Rock/Alternative is the only genre I enjoy listening to. I don't mind Metal, however it depends on the sub-genre and the song/artist.

I think a lot of it comes down to how I was raised. My parents only ever listened to Rock/Alternative artists and they very rarely listened to the radio, so it shaped what music I enjoy listening to.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/27/16 at 10:55 pm

Pretty much. I do like one or two songs from other genres as well. Overall, however, Rock/Alternative is the only genre I enjoy listening to. I don't mind Metal, however it depends on the sub-genre and the song/artist.

I think a lot of it comes down to how I was raised. My parents only ever listened to Rock/Alternative artists and they very rarely listened to the radio, so it shaped what music I enjoy listening to.
Yeah, it mostly comes down to that way. Parents are definitely people who can influence their children and what movies, music, games etc. they will like.

Regarding music, what's the biggest genre down there in Australia?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/27/16 at 11:01 pm

Regarding music, what's the biggest genre down there in Australia?

The same genres which are popular in the US are popular down here as well, so basically EDM, techno, hip-hop etc. In case you're interested, this is currently what the Top 50 ARIA chart (which is basically our equivalent to the US Billboard chart) looks like. It's pretty similar to the Billboard chart.

http://www.ariacharts.com.au/charts/singles-chart

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/27/16 at 11:10 pm

The same genres which are popular in the US are popular down here as well, so basically EDM, techno, hip-hop etc. In case you're interested, this is currently what the Top 50 ARIA chart (which is basically our equivalent to the US Billboard chart) looks like. It's pretty similar to the Billboard chart.

http://www.ariacharts.com.au/charts/singles-chart
Wow! They are almost similar. I don't even recognize most of the songs on the US chart ;D

Now that the late 10s is creeping in, I'm sure the music will change. 

Written By: Howard on 11/28/16 at 3:01 pm

I like Classic Rock.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/29/16 at 4:14 pm

Wow. Just. Wow. It would have been a MUCH MUCH different experience personal life wise. Culturally, not dramatically different.
The SNES would have been my first system
The N64 would have been the last system of my childhood... :o :o :o
PS2 would have been my ''teenage'' console. :D
XBOX 360 would have been my first ''man cave'' console and not PS4. ;D
I would have been a product of the MMPR boom in the mid 90s. :D
I would have watched Nick from 1993-2000,meaning I would have been a product of the golden age & early sliver age and watched CN from 1998-2003 probably! :o
Disney afternoon would have been my Disney TV experience. I'd watch early Zoog Disney and OSM from 1997 until 2000. Wow.
I probably would have gotten into wrestling when the Monday Night Wars started in 1995.
I'd remember watching MJ crystal clearly during his initial run ::)
I would have grown up with the classic 90s sitcoms, and not the millennium era ones.
I'd be mid-late 90s kid.
I would have had different 5th, 6th, and 8th grade teachers...
I would have graduated HS in 2008 before the crash happened, and the crash would have hit me HARD... :o
I would have voted three times.
I'd be slowly heading towards 30... :o :o :o
I'd be in heart and soul of the millennial generation.
I would have had Siskel and Ebert in my peak childhood instead of Ebert and Roper.
The gap between my immediate cousins would be LARGE. :o
My music interests might possibly be the same; Jazz, rock, R&B.
I would still be interested in the anime boom of the millennium era.(DBZ, Gundam,Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop,)
My first vacation experience would have been Toronto instead of Chicago...
I'd be a core 2000s teen and a SOLID 2010s 20 something.
The last movie I'd associate with my childhood would be Shrek.
I would have been going to theaters since 1994 probably. :o

Man this is something!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/29/16 at 5:15 pm

Wow. Just. Wow. It would have been a MUCH MUCH different experience personal life wise. Culturally, not dramatically different.
The SNES would have been my first system
The N64 would have been the last system of my childhood... :o :o :o
PS2 would have been my ''teenage'' console. :D
XBOX 360 would have been my first ''man cave'' console and not PS4. ;D
I would have been a product of the MMPR boom in the mid 90s. :D
I would have watched Nick from 1993-2000,meaning I would have been a product of the golden age & early sliver age and watched CN from 1998-2003 probably! :o
Disney afternoon would have been my Disney TV experience. I'd watch early Zoog Disney and OSM from 1997 until 2000. Wow.
I probably would have gotten into wrestling when the Monday Night Wars started in 1995.
I'd remember watching MJ crystal clearly during his initial run ::)
I would have grown up with the classic 90s sitcoms, and not the millennium era ones.
I'd be mid-late 90s kid.
I would have had different 5th, 6th, and 8th grade teachers...
I would have graduated HS in 2008 before the crash happened, and the crash would have hit me HARD... :o
I would have voted three times.
I'd be slowly heading towards 30... :o :o :o
I'd be in heart and soul of the millennial generation.
I would have had Siskel and Ebert in my peak childhood instead of Ebert and Roper.
The gap between my immediate cousins would be LARGE. :o
My music interests might possibly be the same; Jazz, rock, R&B.
I would still be interested in the anime boom of the millennium era.(DBZ, Gundam,Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop,)
My first vacation experience would have been Toronto instead of Chicago...
I'd be a core 2000s teen and a SOLID 2010s 20 something.
The last movie I'd associate with my childhood would be Shrek.
I would have been going to theaters since 1994 probably. :o

Man this is something!! ;D ;D ;D

Now that makes me wish I was born in 1989. But even with that, I don't feel bad about being born in 1999. At least I'm proud of what I had during my childhood.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/16 at 2:11 am

I would be happy retired now, with my state pension and a free travel pass!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/30/16 at 9:50 pm

Now that makes me wish I was born in 1989. But even with that, I don't feel bad about being born in 1999. At least I'm proud of what I had during my childhood.

Funny you should say that because I'm now kinda starting to wish I'd been born in 1999. If that was the case, I'd still have my whole twenties in front of me.

Damn, I'm really not looking forward to turning 30 next year. :(

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/16 at 9:56 pm

Funny you should say that because I'm now kinda starting to wish I'd been born in 1999. If that was the case, I'd still have my whole twenties in front of me.

You can do like my mom and just pretend you're 20  ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/30/16 at 10:05 pm

Ironically, I wish I had of been born in the Late 80s, like you were. There are many reasons why I wish I wasn't born in 1999, to be honest. :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/30/16 at 10:11 pm

Why not? You're still going to look great :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/02/16 at 10:41 am

Ironically, I wish I had of been born in the Late 80s, like you were. There are many reasons why I wish I wasn't born in 1999, to be honest. :P

I totally get those feelings. I find myself occasionally thinking it would've been interesting to be born in 1977 because then I would be able to remember stuff like the Challenger Disaster, the end of the Cold War, the '80s PC revolution, the Grunge movement at it's peak and the pre-NES 2nd console generation, There is a certain "allure" I think to the idea of being able to remember things from before your time. The past always has a mysterious vibe to it.

On the other hand, had I been born in '77 I'd be closing in on 40, so I think I'm perfectly happy where I am! ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 10:48 am

Being born in 1999 (to most people at least) is okay, but it sucks not remembering anything before 2001 or 2002. It's great for me at least, since I did have a great childhood. But I'm not sure about you. You would've been a kid during George W. Bush's presidency, which isn't really that great. But I guess if you want to be younger, be my guest.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/03/16 at 6:20 pm

Why not? You're still going to look great :)

Bro, us males usually don't care about looking old.  ::)
I choose a particular month to let my beard grow out and embrace it. ;D ;)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/03/16 at 11:36 pm

Being born in 1999 (to most people at least) is okay

Yeah, I personally don't know anyone else (born in 1999) who wishes that they were born in a different year. Generally speaking, I think most people are content with the year that they were born in. The only person I know who wishes that they were born in a different year, is a close friend of mine, who was born in January 2000. It has even gotten to the point, where he has stated that he hates the fact that he was born in 2000. Although, I can sort of understand why he feels that way, because his birthday is on the 7th. He only missed out on being born in 1999 by one week. :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/04/16 at 12:33 am

Yeah, I personally don't know anyone else (born in 1999) who wishes that they were born in a different year. Generally speaking, I think most people are content with the year that they were born in. The only person I know who wishes that they were born in a different year, is a close friend of mine, who was born in January 2000. It has even gotten to the point, where he has stated that he hates the fact that he was born in 2000. Although, I can sort of understand why he feels that way, because his birthday is on the 7th. He only missed out on being born in 1999 by one week. :P

I wish I was born in a time I wouldn't have to have my youth in this era. I want to be born in 2026.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 10:38 am

Being born in December of 1999, I just wish I was born earlier in the year. But at least I was born 10 days before New Year's Day of 2000 happened.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/04/16 at 12:07 pm

I'd be delighted to have been born in '86 instead of '92. Even though I still only would've had vague memories of the 1980s, I'd actually be able to appreciate the 1990s as a whole and not just the late part of the decade.

To start, I would have grown up to experience the classic 16-bit console war, siding clearly with Nintendo because the SNES had all of the best games at the time. The Genesis' "edgy" appeal would not have made much on an impact and caused it to be the superior system to me, and I was never even a big fan of Sonic the Hedgehog.

I would have watched early Nicktoons like Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life instead of Cartoon Cartoons. I likely would have been into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as well, even though I would've probably been slightly too young for Turtlemania. In all fairness, I really enjoyed some of the shows I grew up with from my actual childhood, especially Courage the Cowardly Dog and Codename: Kids Next Door, but the early-mid-90s were still wonderful, regardless.

As I would have entered middle school in 1998 instead of 2004, the school I went to would have been brand new. Instead of the Shrek soundtrack from 2001, I'm guessing that the Space Jam soundtrack from 1996 would have been my huge introduction to "real" music (not Red Grammer and Raffi), as my mom had bought that album in real life. Throughout my early teens, my favorite bands probably would have been Green Day and the Offspring, as they were during my actual childhood, but I would have been in 6th grade at the time of Americana's release and may have even owned Ixnay on the Hombre in 1997, the year that album came out. I would have been familiar with and appreciated pop, hip hop, and r&b, as well, though. I would have likely been immersed in Spicemania, and would have probably started following the Now That's What I Call Music! series from the very beginning in 6th grade, as opposed to discovering it through my mom in late 2001. Unlike reality, however, I never would have abandoned popular music after just turning 13 due to poor quality and would have instead remained highly interested in the charts up through my high school graduation in 2005, as it was only during the second half of 2005 that music really began to suffer.

I probably still would have been a big Nintendo fan by the time the Nintendo 64 came out, but unlike a lot of other people, I would have probably been mesmerized by the system's 3D style of gaming and kept true to the series through the end. I might have gotten into Pokémon in 1999, but like reality, it may have taken me a few months to overcome the annoyance of Pokémania.

If I had discovered Dance Dance Revolution in the arcades during the Y2K era, I would have still fallen in love with it, especially once the first home version came out in early 2001. I probably even would have been around to design StepMania simfiles since the Tournamix era. I was always really bummed out that I got into StepMania too late to partake in the biggest competition the community ever had for that.

I'm guessing I would have adopted the Internet fairly quickly, probably at least around 1997 or 1998. At the time, I would have experienced the late 90s similarly to how I experienced 2007 in real life - like I was suddenly smacked into an age of modernity.

Assuming patterns remained consistent, I would have started at my private high school in 2001, a few weeks before 9/11, and graduated in 2005. I still would have partaken in cross country under the same coach, but I may have had an easier time making varsity sooner because the team wasn't as fast back then, with a few major exceptions. The science center would not have been built yet, either, but overall, my experience probably would have been just as delightful as it was from 2007 to 2011.

College would have been from 2005 to 2009, approximately the period that social media started to become popular. Since it wouldn't have been overload, I probably would have been a bit more outgoing throughout college, albeit still mostly attached to my Internet forum communities. Unfortunately, I would have graduated college at the worst possible time, since the Great Recession had bottomed out and left recent graduates without much work. I'm guessing this would have made it more likely for me to attend grad school, albeit probably not until autumn 2010, as I still would have needed a year off after undergraduate studies.

Overall, my life probably would not have actually been tremendously different had I been born 6 years sooner, but I still would have been a lot more nostalgic about numerous things than I would've been otherwise.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/16 at 2:59 pm

We have to embrace the gray.

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/16 at 3:59 pm

And the balding

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/04/16 at 5:30 pm

Yea. I also grayed earlier too. Runs in my family. ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/04/16 at 6:04 pm

Going by the age I was for certain life milestones, If I was born in March of 90' I would of most likely:

-Been Conceived in the 80's ;D

-Vaguely Remember the early 90's & a life before the internet became ubiquitous.

-Been in my core childhood years from roughly 1995-2000. During this time I would of likely caught the tail end of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers trend along with watching Fox Kids at the tail end of its mid 90's golden age, although most of my core childhood years would be spent during Kids WB's Beginning/Golden Age from 1995-1997 & 1997-2000 respectively. I'd also watch Nick during most of its Golden Age (upto 1998) being at the peak of my childhood towards the tail end of their Golden Age. I probably (assuming my parents decided to get it or not) would of been a huge fan of The Disney Channel before it became a basic cable package in 97'.

-My first game console would likely be a SNES or Sega Genesis at around 5 or 6 y/o, and I'd probably get a N64 or PS1 for Christmas 1997.

-I would of caught the tail end of the popularity of POGs, and I would been the prime age for late 90's classic toys like Furby's, Beanie Babies, & Tamogotchis.

-I'd be the prime target range for 'Pokemania' in the late 90's/early 00's and vividly remember its first season.

-I would vividly remember these events (and fully grasp the full context) :\'(: Columbine, Y2K, 9/11, etc. I'd also vividly remember the O.J Simpson Trial & Princess Diana's Death, but I would of been a child during that time.

-I would of started middle school in 2001 In New York (right before 9/11) and spend all of my middle school years there instead of NJ like what really happened (which would DRAMATICALLY change the kind of person I am today).

-I would of been in my tweens in the Web 1.0 Era during the AOL Chat Room Craze, right before social media officially took off. I'd probably be into many of the musical trends at the time like Nu Metal, Post Grunge, Rap, etc. and I'd probably be less tolerant to the Y2K era teen pop back then ;D

-My youth (ages 11-22) would of spanned from 2001-2012, meaning all of my youthful years would be spent in Gen Y youth culture effectively putting me in the 'core' of the generation.

-I would of started high school in NY in 2004 but then would of started my sophomore year in NJ a year later.

-Be at the peak of my teenaged years in 2006 during the era of Crunk/Snap Rap, Emo, myspace, & 'Bling Bling'.

-Graduated H.S in 2008, in the midst of the Great Depression. I'd be one of the last to work before the recession at age 16 in 2006.

-Attend College from 2008-2012 (hopefully), and being the age I am today in 2010.

-In today's time I'd be 26 today, just months away from turning 27 & being scared for my life because I would be entering my late 20's (and of course the infamous 'club 27').

These are just a few examples I could think that would make my life DRAMATICALLY different in comparison to today.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/05/16 at 1:30 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. We can still look great at any age, but I asked him why wasn't he looking forward to 30 and he hasn't responded yet.

Being born in 1999 (to most people at least) is okay, but it sucks not remembering anything before 2001 or 2002. It's great for me at least, since I did have a great childhood. But I'm not sure about you. You would've been a kid during George W. Bush's presidency, which isn't really that great. But I guess if you want to be younger, be my guest.

These posts sound like that it sucks to be an adolescent in this era. I can totally understand that. Yeah, there were some terrible things that took place in the 00s, but honestly they were at least much better than today in some ways.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/05/16 at 1:48 pm

These posts sound like that it sucks to be an adolescent in this era. I can totally understand that. Yeah, there were some terrible things that took place in the 00s, but honestly they were at least much better than today in some ways.

It just sucks for me since most of this decade's pop culture is schizophrenic. For instance, we had people making Vines every day, and then Twitter decided to shut it off for no specific reason. Same with Youtube and Twitter. People used to thrive so well in the early 2010s. But ever since 2012, it's dominated with gaming channels like PewDiePie and Markiplier to the point where Youtube keeps advertising them and no small channel could get popular at all. It's like people don't really give a crap about balance within this decade's culture, even though it's not that important to say the least.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/16 at 3:02 pm

And the balding

and the aches and pains.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/16 at 3:03 pm

Yea. I also grayed earlier too. Runs in my family. ;D

I got gray on both sides of my head.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/05/16 at 9:55 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. We can still look great at any age, but I asked him why wasn't he looking forward to 30 and he hasn't responded yet.

Well, mostly I just don't like the idea of time passing me by. It's not just about me getting older. It's my parents getting older, my aunts and uncles getting older, and the fact that all of my grandparents (except for my maternal grandmother) have passed away. There's even a part of me that regrets the fact that the old analog technology of my childhood is constantly moving further and further into the past, too.

I'm not super depressed about the big Three-Oh, though. 30 is still young and I've got plenty of years ahead of me. The passage of time can just be a scary thing sometimes.

Check for new replies or respond here...