inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are people here obsessed with generations?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 6:42 pm

I know this seems like a lot, but every damn thread we make nowadays always talks about some sort of generation. Does it really matter to anybody who grew up in a particular decade? Most of the people who make that information aren't even focusing on the pop culture or events that was influenced to them, so it's hugely biased. That's like me describing 2010s kids as tech-savvy mobile addicts, simply because they didn't remember a time when iPhones weren't everywhere. It's rather stupid, and it would probably give me backlash in the near future.

For anyone that talks about Generation X, Y, and Z, nobody really takes you seriously at all. They're just there to talk about pop culture, music parodies, and how their lives are going. I may be a hypocrite, since I do talk about generations, but it's not the whole point for something like InThe00s. Why can't you just talk about something pop culture related or anything else in that matter? I'm just dissatisfied with threads like that, to be honest.

Subject: Re: Why are people here obsessed with generations?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/12/16 at 6:46 pm

You yourself just acknowledged you contribute to all the generation threads yet you're tried of it and wanna talk about other things? The threads will go away if you ignore them and contribute to other discussions. Starting topics like this don't solve anything, either.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 12/12/16 at 6:50 pm

People still like to have their own opinions about generations so much that I have to keep arguing that Gen Y ends in 1999 and Gen Z starts in 2000 so it can coincide with the start of the 21st century.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/12/16 at 6:55 pm

People still like to have their own opinions about generations so much that I have to keep arguing that Gen Y ends in 1999 and Gen Z starts in 2000 so it can coincide with the start of the 21st century.

So people aren't allowed to have their own opinions about when a generation ends? Who cares anyway? This isn't some quest for a cancer cure or an end to world hunger. You guys take it so seriously...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 7:30 pm

It doesn't matter though. Hell, I wouldn't bother or care to know who was born in Gen Y or Z. I mean, I already the same crap about 2001 babies being in Gen Z. However, none of the people here give a crap. All I want for everyone is to just talk about 80s, 90s, and 2000s nostalgia at least. Not a bunch of threads that basically mean nothing to this website.

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/16 at 7:36 pm

This thread needs to be deleted and so should a lot of posts in that other thread.

It can be interesting to talk about shared experiences with people who are a similar age to you. That's why I liked the Older and Younger millennials thread. What got boring a long time ago is people talking about the end date of millennials or beginning of Gen Z core cusp late Generation beta blah blah blah.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/12/16 at 7:38 pm

It doesn't matter though. Hell, I wouldn't bother or care to know who was born in Gen Y or Z. I mean, I already the same crap about 2001 babies being in Gen Z. However, none of the people here give a crap. All I want for everyone is to just talk about 80s, 90s, and 2000s nostalgia at least. Not a bunch of threads that basically mean nothing to this website.

You and everyone else need to make a conscience effort to stop posting about this garbage. Stop the debates and start posting about stuff with more substance.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 7:45 pm

This thread needs to be deleted and so should a lot of posts in that other thread.

It can be interesting to talk about shared experiences with people who are a similar age to you. That's why I liked the Older and Younger millennials thread. What got boring a long time ago is people talking about the end date of millennials or beginning of Gen Z core cusp late Generation beta blah blah blah.

Well, I wouldn't really start something like that. I just thought maybe it was enjoyable for a short time, until I realize that I'm not getting as nostalgic as I used to be.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/13/16 at 9:42 pm

Why? It's because some folks treat it as a debate like race/ethnicity, religion, politics etc.

One thing I have noticed is that some people are misinformed about generations alone. It's not just a concept where everything is made-up. Many topics we discuss apply to them as well.

Say, if we were talking about demographics, then generations will come into play. I mean for one, each generation has a majority of an identity in a topic such as race, sexual orientation, religion, occupation and much more. For instance, Boomers are mainly old, Caucasian, Vietnam veterans, and conservative. Compare that to the Zed cohort, who are young, libertarian, minority-majority, and pragmatic in general. If one also applies events and pop culture that had a major impact on a cohort, it acts just as powerful. That's how generations and the world work. Everything and everyone is going to be generalized regardless of the background. That's just how people are.

As for when a generation begins goes back to growing up in a certain era. Everyone has one and that plays a role too since that shapes a group of people to who they are today. Had WWII not occurred, then the GIs would have never endured a horrifying war and the Great Depression may have ended much shorter. Furthermore, the Baby Boom may have not happened nor the Cold War would have transpired after WWII.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/17/16 at 1:13 pm

I have no clue my friend... This isn't the personality cafe. Some of the folks on the site need to cute that crap out!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 1:23 pm

I have no clue my friend... This isn't the personality cafe. Some of the folks on the site need to cute that crap out!

Well, some members here (including me) are members of Personality Cafe. Despite talking about similar things there, it's not like I'll talk about generations excessively to the point where people can't stand it here. That may be something about Zelek, who basically bump 5-10 year old threads just for the sake of generation debates.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/17/16 at 2:18 pm

Well, some members here (including me) are members of Personality Cafe. Despite talking about similar things there, it's not like I'll talk about generations excessively to the point where people can't stand it here. That may be something about Zelek, who basically bump 5-10 year old threads just for the sake of generation debates.

I'm still going on personality cafe every now and then, but I'm no longer getting on the generation forums. My time posting on that section of the site for a year and a half is officially over. I will only be on the Enneagram forums, Keirsey Temperament forums, or Topics of Interest.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/16 at 2:21 pm

I'm still going on personality cafe every now and then, but I'm no longer getting on the generation forums. My time posting on that section of the site for a year and a half is officially over. I will only be on the Enneagram forums, Keirsey Temperament forums, or Topics of Interest.
What about the debate forum?

Me too. I do talk about generations and all, but I also discuss other topics as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 2:42 pm

I usually post in the Generations forums, but sometimes I'll post in the Member Polls and such. The Generations forums are similarly like InThe00s, except it has younger users. Some of them were born in 2000-2002, which surprises me since most regulars here were born in the 80s or 90s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 2:58 pm

Problem with that is that the 21st gen starts in 2001. Not 2000. 2000 is year 100 of the 20th century and not year 1 of the 21st century.

I basically see this generations crap as nothing more than just some arbitrary way to group people together. I swear the amount of generalizing and even elitism within some generation discussions is downright stupid. A person's generation placement doesn't effect much of anything within his or her own life so I'm curious on why insist on debating on what gen he/she feels that he/she belongs in or shouldn't be a part of. All generation topics/threads start the same way and end the same way. Makes me curious on why people keep making them as they're all essentially just asking the same questions with everyone giving them the same answers. Just ignore the generation threads. If people feel the need to keep repeating themselves (with their ideas falling on deaf ears as there is rarely any agreements on such a subjective topic) then let them. You don't have to be a part of it.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 3:20 pm

Because this site is cursed! Cursed, I tell you!

http://media.gettyimages.com/videos/little-witch-with-cauldron-video-id113440560?s=640x640

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 3:24 pm

http://media.gettyimages.com/videos/little-witch-with-cauldron-video-id113440560?s=640x640

Real life footage of a witch cursing this website.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 3:27 pm

If that's what happened when Donnie Darko took over this site, then it's no wonder why this site is almost like a ghost town.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 3:33 pm

Real life footage of a witch cursing this website.  :(

:o

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 3:34 pm

If that's what happened when Donnie Darko took over this site, then it's no wonder why this site is almost like a ghost town.

Is that a user on here?  ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/16 at 6:08 pm

I basically see this generations crap as nothing more than just some arbitrary way to group people together. I swear the amount of generalizing and even elitism within some generation discussions is downright stupid. A person's generation placement doesn't effect much of anything within his or her own life so I'm curious on why insist on debating on what gen he/she feels that he/she belongs in or shouldn't be a part of. All generation topics/threads start the same way and end the same way. Makes me curious on why people keep making them as they're all essentially just asking the same questions with everyone giving them the same answers. Just ignore the generation threads. If people feel the need to keep repeating themselves (with their ideas falling on deaf ears as there is rarely any agreements on such a subjective topic) then let them. You don't have to be a part of it.
I agree they are arbitrary, but so is everything else! Say, if this was about political views instead, the results would still be the same because not all folks  are hardcore liberals or extreme conservatives. Regardless of the topic, everyone is grouped together in a way. We have all been lumped in age, race/ethnicity, and even religion because it's human nature to make generalizations. I did clear it up for people who want to read what I wrote.

One thing I have noticed is that some people are misinformed about generations alone. It's not just a concept where everything is made-up. Many topics we discuss apply to them as well.

Say, if we were talking about demographics, then generations will come into play. I mean for one, each generation has a majority of an identity in a topic such as race, sexual orientation, religion, occupation and much more. For instance, Boomers are mainly old, Caucasian, Vietnam veterans, and conservative. Compare that to the Zed cohort, who are young, libertarian, minority-majority, and pragmatic in general. If one also applies events and pop culture that had a major impact on a cohort, it acts just as powerful. That's how generations and the world work. Everything and everyone is going to be generalized regardless of the background. That's just how people are.

As for when a generation begins goes back to growing up in a certain era. Everyone has one and that plays a role too since that shapes a group of people to who they are today. Had WWII not occurred, then the GIs would have never endured a horrifying war and the Great Depression may have ended much shorter. Furthermore, the Baby Boom may have not happened nor the Cold War would have transpired after WWII.

Oh, and I apologize if I came at you foul. It's not directly aimed at you, but in general.

Is that a user on here?  ???
No, he got banned back then.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 6:18 pm

I bet Donnie Darko was partly responsible for the excess of decadeology!  :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/16 at 6:21 pm

I bet Donnie Darko was partly responsible for the excess of decadeology!  :o
Yeah, he was; however, I found him sometime ago on other sites, and he didn't do excess of decadeology at all. He seemed a chill person.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, he was; however, I found him sometime ago on other sites, and he didn't do excess of decadeology at all. He seemed a chill person.

When was he kicked out of inthe00s?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/16 at 6:23 pm

When was he kicked out of inthe00s?
In 2006. There are no other posts from him after that year.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 6:25 pm

I came here in 2008. No wonder some of my attempts of decade analyzing was looked down upon!  ;D  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/16 at 6:29 pm

I came here in 2008. No wonder some of my attempts of decade analyzing was looked down upon!  ;D  ;D
Only because it hadn't been long since the excess took place.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 7:05 pm

I agree they are arbitrary, but so is everything else! Say, if this was about political views instead, the results would still be the same because not all folks  are hardcore liberals or extreme conservatives. Regardless of the topic, everyone is grouped together in a way. We have all been lumped in age, race/ethnicity, and even religion because it's human nature to make generalizations. I did clear it up for people who want to read what I wrote.

Oh, and I apologize if I came at you foul. It's not directly aimed at you, but in general.

Can get where you're coming from, however, I am bothered by the fact that nearly everything seems to be based around arbitrary ideas or opinions. But it's not like anyone can do much about it. :/

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/16 at 7:14 pm

Can get where you're coming from, however, I am bothered by the fact that nearly everything seems to be based around arbitrary ideas or opinions. But it's not like anyone can do much about it. :/
Yeah, I feel you man. That's exactly why people should go by facts, and not by their opinions because the latter is clearly anecdotes. Experiments and surveys are truly great at presenting evidence after doing extensive research. It's also why scientists do a test run to see if a study is true or false.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/17/16 at 11:58 pm

I know him well, he doesn't care nearly as much about decades and all that stuff anymore. I don't talk to him as much lately but he's different these days. Honestly I disagree with the guy a lot about politics but he's a decent person that has some mental issues. All these loving compassionate open minded liberals on here treated him like crap. Remember he was just a 15-16 year old kid back then and they treated him like the devil because he made a bunch of repeat topics about dumb stuff on a message board, I mean really who cares? Now that I'm about to be 30 and looking back at how young he was when all this happened and he was treated like that, honestly it pisses me off.  They talk about how much of a jerk Trump is yet these people forget how they cast a 16 year old autistic kid as an evil villain 10 years ago. And now over a decade later, his name still comes up it's ridiculous. "Decadeology" isn't even a real word.  ::) Looking back at this whole thing as an adult disgusts me to be honest, and is one of the (many) reasons I don't like liberals anymore.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 12:12 am

I know him well, he doesn't care nearly as much about decades and all that stuff anymore. I don't talk to him as much lately but he's different these days. Honestly I disagree with the guy a lot about politics but he's a decent person that has some mental issues. All these loving compassionate open minded liberals on here treated him like crap. Remember he was just a 15-16 year old kid back then and they treated him like the devil because he made a bunch of repeat topics about dumb stuff on a message board, I mean really who cares? Now that I'm about to be 30 and looking back at how young he was when all this happened and he was treated like that, honestly it pisses me off.  They talk about how much of a jerk Trump is yet these people forget how they cast a 16 year old autistic kid as an evil villain 10 years ago. And now over a decade later, his name still comes up it's ridiculous. "Decadeology" isn't even a real word.  ::) Looking back at this whole thing as an adult disgusts me to be honest, and is one of the (many) reasons I don't like liberals anymore.

A lot of people, perhaps even me, contributed to some bad karma on this website. I mean, this website was awesome (it still is, but it was GREAT back then) and nobody wanted to communicate, or forgive, each other.

In a community, EVERYBODY is responsible. We can't just blame it on one person, like Donnie Darko. It's easy to blame, or say, just one person is responsible, but that's not true at all. I've seen some political fights on here that didn't involve Donnie Darko, and those fights, roughly four, or more years ago, scared off a lot of awesome people from this website.

People just want to blame Donnie Darko because it's a cheap and easy way out for them not to take responsibility for the way they communicate, and the way they respond, to each other. People always say 'Take responsibility for your life,' and then they forget that they were partly responsibility for a situation at all. It takes two to tango. I always found that quote hypocritical, insufferably smug, and one sided.

And yes, I've been responsible for some tense verbal disagreements on here too. So my hands aren't clean, and I'm not an innocent.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 12:18 am

A lot of people, perhaps even me, contributed to some bad karma on this website. I mean, this website was awesome (it still is, but it was GREAT back then) and nobody wanted to communicate, or forgive, each other.

In a community, EVERYBODY is responsible. We can't just blame it on one person, like Donnie Darko. It's easy to blame, or say, just one person is responsible, but that's not true at all. I've seen some political fights on here that didn't involve Donnie Darko, and those fights, roughly four, or more years ago, scared off a lot of awesome people from this website.

People just want to blame Donnie Darko because it's a cheap and easy way out for them not to take responsibility for the way they communicate, and the way they respond, to each other. People always say 'Take responsibility for your life,' and then they forget that they were partly responsibility for a situation at all. It takes two to tango. I always found that quote hypocritical, insufferably smug, and one sided.

And yes, I've been responsible for some tense verbal disagreements on here too. So my hands aren't clean, and I'm not an innocent.

Nobody's innocent in life, we all do some bad at some point. In terms of this site, well all good things come to an end. This sites been around a long time and also sites like this have basically been overtaken by Facebook, Twitter, etc. That's just the way it is.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 12:25 am

^ ^
To me, this website was at its funnest from 2001 to 2008. It's still a good website, but I would have loved to have been on from those years!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 1:16 am

My question is, why are people so interested in discussing the concept of generations? It's not as if they directly apply to our everyday lives. A 40 year old isn't going to feel discouraged from working with a 25 year old, because one is a Gen X and the other a Millennial. The majority of the general public don't care or have any knowledge as to what generation they may be considered as. This isn't just from the basis of discussion on websites such as Personality Cafe and inthe00s, it's also backed up by the responses I have received in my primary research so far.

That's why there is such confusion when discussing the boundaries of generations, which as a result, only leads to conflict and personal attacks. One source can label someone born in 1995 as belonging to the Millennials, but on the same token, there are plenty of resources which state that 1995 is the start of Generation Z. Not only that, but these sources don't necessarily rely on the same evidence to support their claims. The question has to be asked, what constitutes a source being "wrong" and another source being "correct"? How can people justify that a generation ends at a certain point in time, when it is clear that there is no definitive conclusion as to when generations start and finish?

Quite frankly, talking about the concept of generations isn't a "discussion"; it's the exchange of meaningless facts and opinions which hold no relevance and are not definitive in addressing the main concern at hand (when x generation starts/finishes). I agree with what #Ifinity has mentioned on numerous occasions; generations don't encourage constructive discussions. How can a constructive discussion be started, when there isn't even a general consensus as to what certain generations are?

Now I admit, I used to be heavily involved in the discussions of generations. Due to the fact that I believed I was a "Y/Z cusp", I used to get into these childish disputes with people who believed that a generation ended in an earlier year (which they are entitled to believe in). However, I have since realised that discussing generations 'leads to nowhere' and it's simply not worth taking it into consideration. Personally, I wish more people would realise that there really isn't a need for discussing generations and debating when they start and finish. To be blunt, I believe there are members who are guilty of continuing on with discussing generations unnecessarily, even going to the point of discussing it in threads which do not relate to the concept.

That is my two cents worth over the issue. Hopefully there will be a point in time where the threads on inthe00s are no longer inundated with generation discussions and constant squabbling, as a result of it.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/18/16 at 3:41 am

I dislike when discussions go way off topic. Like I seen topics in the 2000s section where someone bring up below the 90s and the intended feel of the thread end up completely changed. No. Its so cringe worthy.

That dream of wishing every thread would remain close to pure.

Written By: gibbo on 12/18/16 at 6:22 am

Haha ... this appears to be the age old question on this site!  ::)  It always ends in tears!  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/18/16 at 10:34 am

My philosophy on this is exactly the same now as it was in 2006. If I see a topic that interests me, and I feel like I have something to contribute, then I post in it. If not, then I ignore it and go on about my business.

That's pretty much the only way that you can be on a forum for a decade and avoid any serious conflicts like I have. ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 10:47 am

Haha ... this appears to be the age old question on this site!  ::)  It always ends in tears!  ;)

;D  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 10:55 am

My philosophy on this is exactly the same now as it was in 2006. If I see a topic that interests me, and I feel like I have something to contribute, then I post in it. If not, then I ignore it and go on about my business.

That's pretty much the only way that you can be on a forum for a decade and avoid any serious conflicts like I have. ;)

Let's fight!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/h0ESO0G_NM4/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/18/16 at 11:07 am

Let's fight!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/h0ESO0G_NM4/hqdefault.jpg

Well, if we're gonna do this thing, then this right here is more my speed.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np5/gm/sf2-s3.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 12:58 pm

I dislike when discussions go way off topic. Like I seen topics in the 2000s section where someone bring up below the 90s and the intended feel of the thread end up completely changed. No. Its so cringe worthy.

That dream of wishing every thread would remain close to pure.

Sadly, most users here (especially MM07, since he probably brings in nothing new to the topic) don't really care.

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/18/16 at 1:36 pm

Well I am one of the few that while enjoys a generation debate here and there mostly comes here for the Poetical board surprisingly. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/16 at 1:37 pm

Talk about generalizations. I am a liberal and I never said one negative thing to Donnie. In fact, I had several conversations with him about coins. If he wanted to talk about crap, who cares. The only thing I had issue with was the fact that he spammed the board with thread after thread after thread. If he just kept it to one or two threads, I don't think anyone would have cared. I do know there were people who were very nasty to him-I was NOT one of them. After he was banned for spamming the boards (not because of WHAT he posted but for how much of it he posted), he kept coming back and many people turned into the "decadology police." That was something I was NOT involved with. Again, if people want to talk about that crap-that is their right. I could care less. I happen to believe in the First Amendment. And I don't believe that all those people who ganged up on him were liberals-in fact I know several of them weren't. But, you are right that the people who ganged up on him were not nice-whether they were liberals or not. You are confusing their personality with politics.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 1:43 pm

Sadly, most users here (especially MM07, since he probably brings in nothing new to the topic) don't really care.

Way to be subtle. When did I say I wanted to bring anything new to a topic?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 1:45 pm

Way to be subtle. When did I say I wanted to bring anything new to a topic?

Well, your jokeful replies just bring nothing new to be honest. It also derails the thread, since it doesn't bring in a lot of interest towards anybody here.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 2:01 pm

Well, your jokeful replies just bring nothing new to be honest. It also derails the thread, since it doesn't bring in a lot of interest towards anybody here.

And the generation threads and replies add interesting and intellectual insights?  ::)  ::) 

Plus, it's a forum and a website. People joke a lot on other forums and it never causes a problem, or problems.

And if people don't want to reply to my jokes and humor then they don't have to. I mostly just joke with people I know, or people
I know who enjoy it.

Plus, if people posted other things besides decades and generations, I wouldn't have to post jokes to amuse myself.  :-X  :-X  :-X
And this website has always been humorous, even before I came on here in 2008. People have always posted
jokes and irrelevant things to each other on here. I mean, I'm not the first goofy and irrelevant person on here, I didn't invent it even.

Add to that, I've posted plenty of serious posts as well as humorous posts.

Decades and generations, hundreds of posts and many threads about them. Yawn.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 2:14 pm

Well, if we're gonna do this thing, then this right here is more my speed.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np5/gm/sf2-s3.jpg

HADOKEN!! Who's your main? Are you bad enough dude to beat me as Ryu? :o

And the generation threads and replies add interesting and intellectual insights?  ::)  ::) 

Plus, it's a forum and a website. People joke a lot on other forums and it never causes a problem, or problems.

And if people don't want to reply to my jokes and humor then they don't have to. I mostly just joke with people I know, or people
I know who enjoy it.

Plus, if people posted other things besides decades and generations, I wouldn't have to post jokes to amuse myself.  :-X  :-X  :-X
And this website has always been humorous, even before I came on here in 2008. People have always posted
jokes and irrelevant things to each other on here. I mean, I'm not the first goofy and irrelevant person on here, I didn't invent it even.

Fwiw I love your jokes. I don't remember them derailing any thread.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 2:19 pm

I'm not saying it like that. It's just that sometimes, I feel like your goofy posts add really nothing. I know people here don't take it seriously, but at least they try to invest it towards their interests.

It... sort of depends. I mean, if somebody want to post a meme, why not? But I don't think they're clearly as funny as you, per se. I was a former member of a couple boards, and they went on to make a lot of joke threads. Some of which I absolutely regret posting on, but then I just take it as a joke.

jokes and irrelevant things to each other on here. I mean, I'm not the first goofy and irrelevant person on here, I didn't invent it even

Damn, no wonder why you do that. I don't know really. I have my own world and such, which seems kinda different than your perspective on things here.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 5:04 pm

Remember he was just a 15-16 year old kid back then and they treated him like the devil because he made a bunch of repeat topics about dumb stuff on a message board, I mean really who cares? Now that I'm about to be 30 and looking back at how young he was when all this happened and he was treated like that, honestly it pisses me off.  They talk about how much of a jerk Trump is yet these people forget how they cast a 16 year old autistic kid as an evil villain 10 years ago.

I don't know the full extent of the scenario (not only wasn't I a member of inthe00s at the time, but I was only 7 years old ten years ago. :P ), however it's great to hear that you genuinely feel upset and guilty over what happened. Considering how many people treated him so poorly, it takes courage to openly admit that everyone was wrong and should have taken into consideration how old the user was, as well as his autism. I really appreciate your post. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 5:16 pm

I don't know the full extent of the scenario (not only wasn't I a member of inthe00s at the time, but I was only 7 years old ten years ago. :P ), however it's great to hear that you genuinely feel upset and guilty over what happened. Considering how many people treated him so poorly, it takes courage to openly admit that everyone was wrong and should have taken into consideration how old the user was, as well as his autism. I really appreciate your post. :)

It really was horrible and it continued for several years, even today the few people left here are still invoking his name. A few years ago it really hit me how horrible this treatment really was and I mostly left this board. Everybody that participated in treating him like satan should absolutely be ashamed of themselves. To treat such a young kid with a serious disability like that, it's just disgusting.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 5:23 pm

It really was horrible and it continued for several years, even today the few people left here are still invoking his name. A few years ago it really hit me how horrible this treatment really was and I mostly left this board. Everybody that participated in treating him like satan should absolutely be ashamed of themselves. To treat such a young kid with a serious disability like that, it's just disgusting.

As someone who's autistic myself, I really feel like they shouldn't scold him just for making threads about decades. I'm fascinated with the 80s, 90s, and 2000s, but I don't really talk about it so much. They should've just told him to tone down the threads, without having him be treated like an outcast.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 5:27 pm

As someone who's autistic myself, I really feel like they shouldn't scold him just for making threads about decades. I'm fascinated with the 80s, 90s, and 2000s, but I don't really talk about it so much. They should've just told him to tone down the threads, without having him be treated like an outcast.

I mean they did originally and he did to an extent but still made topics that they didn't like and then they all flipped and turned on him. They constantly started mocking him and even his autism, it became like a running joke on this board, it got real bad. They could have just ignored him instead, who was he hurting anyway?

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 6:12 pm

Well I am one of the few that while enjoys a generation debate here and there mostly comes here for the Poetical board surprisingly. :)

You had me looking for a poetry board LOL You mean political board, right? ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 6:15 pm

I mean they did originally and he did to an extent but still made topics that they didn't like and then they all flipped and turned on him. They constantly started mocking him and even his autism, it became like a running joke on this board, it got real bad. They could have just ignored him instead, who was he hurting anyway?

That's sad. They shun decadeology, over someone who had autism. Frankly, I don't like a lot of autistics, but the ones that I do like aren't as bad. Maybe he wanted to have friends on the Internet. Just like I wanted to have friends who talked about the 2000s constantly. That's why I joined this forum in the first place.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 6:23 pm

That's sad. They shun decadeology, over someone who had autism. Frankly, I don't like a lot of autistics, but the ones that I do like aren't as bad. Maybe he wanted to have friends on the Internet. Just like I wanted to have friends who talked about the 2000s constantly. That's why I joined this forum in the first place.

He also has OCD and depression and other issues (I don't know the entire extent), and he is on a lot of medication these days I think. He's a nice person that sometimes is annoying but you have to be understanding of his issues. He amazingly doesn't even hold a grudge against this board despite how horribly he was treated by it. Also there were topics analyzing decades on this board before he ever came along, you can look back at the pre 2005 archives.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 6:37 pm

I'll be more on point with the subject of a thread (stay on the subject of a thread), and be less irrelevant, but I can't promise I'll be good, or an angel!  ;D  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/16 at 6:38 pm

He also has OCD and depression and other issues (I don't know the entire extent), and he is on a lot of medication these days I think. He's a nice person that sometimes is annoying but you have to be understanding of his issues. He amazingly doesn't even hold a grudge against this board despite how horribly he was treated by it. Also there were topics analyzing decades on this board before he ever came along, you can look back at the pre 2005 archives.

I had no idea the guy was autistic. Based on what I read here, I thought he was a trouble-making troll who liked to push people's buttons and stir sh!t up. Aside from Donnie Darko, I think the point is that the users posting today should at least make an effort to change things. A lot of them say they're tried of the "same old discussions" yet still continue to contribute to them and feel insecure about being "gen z when I am gen y" or whatever.

My question is, why are people so interested in discussing the concept of generations? It's not as if they directly apply to our everyday lives. A 40 year old isn't going to feel discouraged from working with a 25 year old, because one is a Gen X and the other a Millennial. The majority of the general public don't care or have any knowledge as to what generation they may be considered as. This isn't just from the basis of discussion on websites such as Personality Cafe and inthe00s, it's also backed up by the responses I have received in my primary research so far.

That's why there is such confusion when discussing the boundaries of generations, which as a result, only leads to conflict and personal attacks. One source can label someone born in 1995 as belonging to the Millennials, but on the same token, there are plenty of resources which state that 1995 is the start of Generation Z. Not only that, but these sources don't necessarily rely on the same evidence to support their claims. The question has to be asked, what constitutes a source being "wrong" and another source being "correct"? How can people justify that a generation ends at a certain point in time, when it is clear that there is no definitive conclusion as to when generations start and finish?

Quite frankly, talking about the concept of generations isn't a "discussion"; it's the exchange of meaningless facts and opinions which hold no relevance and are not definitive in addressing the main concern at hand (when x generation starts/finishes). I agree with what #Ifinity has mentioned on numerous occasions; generations don't encourage constructive discussions. How can a constructive discussion be started, when there isn't even a general consensus as to what certain generations are?

Now I admit, I used to be heavily involved in the discussions of generations. Due to the fact that I believed I was a "Y/Z cusp", I used to get into these childish disputes with people who believed that a generation ended in an earlier year (which they are entitled to believe in). However, I have since realised that discussing generations 'leads to nowhere' and it's simply not worth taking it into consideration. Personally, I wish more people would realise that there really isn't a need for discussing generations and debating when they start and finish. To be blunt, I believe there are members who are guilty of continuing on with discussing generations unnecessarily, even going to the point of discussing it in threads which do not relate to the concept.

That is my two cents worth over the issue. Hopefully there will be a point in time where the threads on inthe00s are no longer inundated with generation discussions and constant squabbling, as a result of it.

This. I would get into these kinds of discussions early on, too, but now it's gotten so boring and I'd much rather talk about other things. It'd be fine if there were only one or two topics that popped up every once in a while but when the entire forum is dominated by stupid discussions about generations and nothing else, it's totally lame and pushes diversity away. There's so much more to talk about but everyone would rather discuss "when does da genurration nd?" over and over and over. The exact same points every time. I think you're spot on about the sources, too. People can discuss the "facts" all they want and bring up "research" and try to "educate people" but the researchers and studies are just as biased and ultimately just another opinion. They just pick and choose which researcher(s) to believe has the facts. It's pointless and stupid.

I know who enjoy it.

Your jokes rule. Keep on posting them!  ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 6:40 pm

I guess that could be the case for him, on why he wanted to talk so much about decades. The fact that everyone who joined this site before 2006 despised him (except for CatWomanofV, nally, and possibly others), just because he posted his fascination for pop culture. It's like posting threads about heavy metal on a rock forum, and have tons of people shun the OP because of that. It's rather hypocritical for them, especially Chucky.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 6:45 pm

I guess that could be the case for him, on why he wanted to talk so much about decades. The fact that everyone who joined this site before 2006 despised him (except for CatWomanofV, nally, and possibly others), just because he posted his fascination for pop culture. It's like posting threads about heavy metal on a rock forum, and have tons of people shun the OP because of that. It's rather hypocritical for them, especially Chucky.

A lot of people don't realize there's a real person with feelings and emotions behind that forum username. I actually met him once in person back in 2012 and went bowling and had a beer with him. He was just a bit awkward but a really nice guy in person.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 6:51 pm

A lot of people don't realize there's a real person with feelings and emotions behind that forum username. I actually met him once in person back in 2012 and went bowling and had a beer with him. He was just a bit awkward but a really nice guy in person.

I came post the Donnie Darko era. So I didn't know much about the history of this website's dramas. And yes, every forum and thread has drama!

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 6:54 pm

I came post the Donnie Darko era. So I didn't know much about the history of this website's dramas. And yes, every forum and thread has drama!

I was here right at the heart of it and it's still basically like yesterday to me. The whole ordeal over it was really dumb in retrospect.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 6:54 pm

That's cool. If only people realized that here, since this is a really calm forum.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 7:02 pm

You're absolutely right. I think it's very easy to be under the impression that the person you are talking to online has no emotions; a "robot' in some sense. In the majority of cases, you don't know the person's name, how they are necessarily feeling or what they are going through in life. It's hard not to have that mind set when talking to someone online.

However, with that being said, I believe one of the best things about inthe00s, is that we all have respect for each other and we don't set out to personally attack each other. All of you are a good bunch of people and it's a pleasant change from some of the forums I have visited in the past. That's just what I think, anyway. I think it's really good to hear that people are now regretting the way Donnie Darko was treated. Most people wouldn't do that on other forums.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 7:06 pm

In some places they do foot whipping as a punishment, or penance.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Foot_whipping.JPG/262px-Foot_whipping.JPG

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 7:11 pm

However, with that being said, I believe one of the best things about inthe00s, is that we all have respect for each other and we don't set out to personally attack each other. All of you are a good bunch of people and it's a pleasant change from some of the forums I have visited in the past. That's just what I think, anyway. I think it's really good to hear that people are now regretting the way Donnie Darko was treated. Most people wouldn't do that on other forums.

Well, unless certain people who act quite eccentric (like I did in the past) took their forums seriously and wanted to talk about something way different.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 7:15 pm

I'll be more on point with the subject of a thread (stay on the subject of a thread), and be less irrelevant, but I can't promise I'll be good, or an angel!  ;D  ;D

Well, that promise didn't last long, did it?  :-X  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 7:19 pm

Well, that promise didn't last long, did it?  :-X  :-X

Honestly, I didn't really care so much. If you like making jokes on certain threads, then that's okay. I'm not really stopping you.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/19/16 at 1:47 pm

Wow that's messed up. So, they didn't even know about this guy's condition and they tarted him as a spammer. It's not like he would have excessively made threads on purpose to irritate everyone. I think he just wanted a discussion.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the user actually made a book about "Decadeology" a few years back. I believe it has sold some copies.

This. I would get into these kinds of discussions early on, too, but now it's gotten so boring and I'd much rather talk about other things. It'd be fine if there were only one or two topics that popped up every once in a while but when the entire forum is dominated by stupid discussions about generations and nothing else, it's totally lame and pushes diversity away. There's so much more to talk about but everyone would rather discuss "when does da genurration nd?" over and over and over. The exact same points every time. I think you're spot on about the sources, too. People can discuss the "facts" all they want and bring up "research" and try to "educate people" but the researchers and studies are just as biased and ultimately just another opinion. They just pick and choose which researcher(s) to believe has the facts. It's pointless and stupid.
If this was another topic, it would have the same results. For example, My question is, why are people so interested in discussing the concept of generations? Why are people so interested in discussing the concept of religion? Why are people so interested in discussing the concept of race?  Why are people so interested in discussing the concept of politics? See what I did there?

It doesn't matter if it was a different subject. People will still achieve the same conclusion. Some other discussions are not constructive at all. They are actually destructive such as race, orientation, religion, etc. Additionally, other identities don't directly apply to our everyday lives either. A Caucasian isn't going to feel discouraged from working with an Asian. A liberal isn't going to feel discouraged from working with a conservative. A heterosexual isn't going to feel discouraged from working with a homosexual. Hell, a neurotypical isn't even going to feel discouraged from working with a disabled person. You both understand where I'm going with this?

Why are all these topics discussed? The main reason IS that people have an interest in them.

Furthermore, have you two seen other topics go out of control? I'm pretty sure you have especially when it comes to name calling and other ad-hominem attacks. I can't tell you how many times a discussion about ANY subject has escalated into flame wars.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/19/16 at 6:25 pm

If this was another topic, it would have the same results. For example, My question is, why are people so interested in discussing the concept of generations? Why are people so interested in discussing the concept of religion? Why are people so interested in discussing the concept of race?  Why are people so interested in discussing the concept of politics? See what I did there?

It doesn't matter if it was a different subject. People will still achieve the same conclusion. Some other discussions are not constructive at all. They are actually destructive such as race, orientation, religion, etc. Additionally, other identities don't directly apply to our everyday lives either. A Caucasian isn't going to feel discouraged from working with an Asian. A liberal isn't going to feel discouraged from working with a conservative. A heterosexual isn't going to feel discouraged from working with a homosexual. Hell, a neurotypical isn't even going to feel discouraged from working with a disabled person. You both understand where I'm going with this?

Why are all these topics discussed? The main reason IS that people have an interest in them.

Furthermore, have you two seen other topics go out of control? I'm pretty sure you have especially when it comes to name calling and other ad-hominem attacks. I can't tell you how many times a discussion about ANY subject has escalated into flame wars.

I understand where you're coming from, however there is a difference between discussing religion/racism and discussing generations. Religion and racism are significant aspects of society; generations are not. Some people may have an interest in generations, but they should also learn to stop discussing it when the topic goes out of hand. I'm going to be completely blunt here. You're one of the few people who are "obsessed" with talking about generations and when a certain generation starts/finishes. Again, there is nothing wrong with that,however there is a point where it simply becomes monotonous and unnecessary; and i'm afraid that point was reached several months ago. Yes, I realise that I used to be heavily involved in the discussion of generations as well, however I have since realised that it's a waste of time and there are more important topics to discuss.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/21/16 at 3:19 pm

I understand where you're coming from, however there is a difference between discussing religion/racism and discussing generations. Religion and racism are significant aspects of society; generations are not. Some people may have an interest in generations, but they should also learn to stop discussing it when the topic goes out of hand. I'm going to be completely blunt here. You're one of the few people who are "obsessed" with talking about generations and when a certain generation starts/finishes. Again, there is nothing wrong with that,however there is a point where it simply becomes monotonous and unnecessary; and i'm afraid that point was reached several months ago. Yes, I realise that I used to be heavily involved in the discussion of generations as well, however I have since realised that it's a waste of time and there are more important topics to discuss.
Actually, they all are aspects; however, they are also vague concepts as well. For example, who's classified as white? Some Caucasians aren't even fair-skinned! Same thing goes for Christianity. Not everyone in that faith practices the same thing. Some christians are associated with cults.

Generations are part of society. Even if we don't talk about the names or when they end in everyday conversation, we still discuss them at some point especially when time comes to our parents and future children. That's where the demographics play a role. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the next generation is libertarian, mostly Hispanic, and less religious. Those are just prime examples. Furthermore, there's not only social generations, but even familia, and other subgroups as well.

I may obsessed with generations, but I'm also interested in video games, art, music, race etc. There are many subjects I'm interested discussing with you and among others. Maybe you haven't seen me participate in them.

Check for new replies or respond here...