inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How different would your life have been if you were born 10 years earlier?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/21/16 at 1:12 pm

Inspired by similar threads which cap the age limit between 1-6 years, Imagine 10 years!? :o

If I was born in March of 86' instead of 96' this is how different my life would've been going by the age I was for certain life milestones, I would've most likely

-Been Conceived in 1985 ;D (and 'technically' been alive during the launch of the NES & the premiere of Back to the Future)

-Vaguely Remember the late 80's, 89' to be exact

-Been in my core childhood years from roughly 1991-1996. During this time I would of likely caught the tail end of 'Turtlemania' & other Late 80's trends such as Muppet Babies, The Super Mario Bros. Super show, etc. Most of my core childhood years would be spent during the Golden Age of Fox Kids from circa 1993-1996, during the peak in popularity of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers! I'd also watch Nick during most of its Golden Age (upto 1998, but I'd probably stop watching it regularly around 1996/97' with the premiere of Hey Arnold & Kenan & Kel, similar to how in our timeline I stopped watching Disney channel in 2006 with the premiere of Hannah Montana & High School Musical) being at the peak of my childhood during the peak of their Golden Age (Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, and Doug still on the air, along with the premieres of Rocko's Modern Life and AHH! Real Monsters). I probably (assuming my parents decided to get it or not) would of been a huge fan of The Disney Channel before it became a basic cable package in 97'.

-My first game console would likely be a NES at around 5 or 6 y/o, and I'd probably get a SNES or Genesis for Christmas 1993.

-I would of caught the tail end of the popularity of Neon, and I would been the prime age for early-mid 90's classic toys like POGS & Street Sharks.

-I'd be the prime target range for 'Turtlemania' at its peak in the early 90's & 'MMPR Mania' in the mid 90's

-I would vividly remember these events (and fully grasp the full context) :\'(: OJ Simpson Trial, Princess Diana's Death, Columbine, Y2K, 9/11, etc. I'd also vividly remember the Fall of the USSR in 1991 and the Rodney King Beatings in 1992, but I would of been a young child during that time, and thus not fully understand the context.

-I'd also be one of the last to vividly remember a world before commercialized internet. In fact most if my core childhood would've been before 1995, essentially before the 'internet age' :o

-I would of started middle school in 1997 In New York

-I would of been in my tweens in the Web 1.0 Era during the initial AOL Chat Room Craze, WELL before social media officially took off. I'd probably be into many of the musical trends at the time like Nu Metal, Post Grunge, Party Rap, etc. and I'd probably be less tolerant to the Y2K era teen pop back then ;D

-My youth (ages 9-24) would of spanned from 1995-2010, meaning almost all of my youthful years would be spent in Gen Y youth culture.

-I would of started high school in NY in 2000, during the peak of Y2K Era Pop Culture

-Be at the peak of my teenaged years in 2002 during the era of Nu Metal, Pop Punk, Waning Teen Pop, Peak in popularity of SEXY :D pop stars like JLO, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, etc

-Graduated H.S in 2004, during the peak of the Housing Bubble and backlash of the war in Iraq. Old enough to vote in 2004. I'd be one of the first to work post 9/11 at age 16 in 2002.

-Be the same age I am today in 2006, during the rising backlash against 'Dubya', cell phones such as the RAZr being very trendy amongst people my age, the EMO trend (which people my age would've thankfully just missed ;) ) being big, & all in all being a 'calm before the storm' when it came to economics, thus (unfortunately) there is a chance that I wouldn't plan for the worst outcome feeling entitled that I'm going to get a job right out of college!

-Attend College from 2004-2008, graduating during the midst of the Great Recession, which would've sucked hard & DRAMATICALLY changed my career path, or made me more conscientious and mindful of what I could improve within my choice of study (most likely would of went back to school to get my masters) :( 8-P

-In today's time I'd be 30 today, just months away from turning 31. Hopefully by now I'd be in a good paying job, be married, probably have a kid or expecting one, and being financially 'safe' within my means.

Looking through this (and of course theres a few details I'm missing) my life would be DRAMATICALLY different to today if I was born 10 years earlier!

Subject: Re: How different would your life have been if you were born 10 years earlier?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 1:47 pm

- I would've been born in 1989, where I could be alive during the late 80s Nintendo craze.

- My early childhood would be in the early 90s, where I could watch the early days of Nick Jr (even if I didn't realize it).

- My childhood would've been around the mid and late 90s. Along with that, I could've been a kid during the silver age of Nickelodeon, the golden age of Cartoon Network, and the 90s era of Disney Channel.

- The Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, or N64 would be my first console(s) that I had in my life.

- I would've been a kid during the Disney Renaissance, while being fascinated with movies like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Mulan in my childhood. I would still be a fan of Disney if I were born in 1989.

- I would witness the end of the VHS era as an adolescent, instead of being a kid in 2006.

- I would've been in Kindergarten around the 1994-95 school year.

- I would've graduated from elementary school in 2000, middle school in 2003, and high school around 2007.

- I would've been in college around 2007-2011.

- My adolescent years would be filled with AIM contacts, Myspace friends, and guys who have flip-phones.

- I would have a lot of albums from various bands of the 2000s.

Subject: Re: How different would your life have been if you were born 10 years earlier?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/21/16 at 11:05 pm

If I had of been born in March 1989, instead of March 1999...

- I would have been conceived in Mid 1988, instead of Mid 1998 (I know what month it would be, but I prefer not to think about it). :P I 'technically' would have been alive during the 200th anniversary of European arrival in Australia.

-I would have been a few months old when the Berlin Wall collapsed.

-The Russian Federation would have been established when I was two years old.

-I would be older than the World Wide Web!

-The shows I would have watched in my early childhood would be somewhat similar. I still would have watched Pingu, Brum, The Wiggles, Humphrey B. Bear, Sesame Street, Bananas in Pyjamas and Play School.

-1991 would be the first year I have memories of. I wouldn't of had vivid memories until 1993.

-I would have started pre-school in 1993, with the likelihood of starting primary school in 1995.

-Oddly enough, my musical experiences would probably be very similar to what I experienced in real life. Pearl Jam would have released their debut album when I was two years old, but I still would have listened to them when I was a toddler/young child, because my Dad has always liked Pearl Jam. Collective Soul's debut album would have been released when I was 5 years old. I still would have listened to songs such as "The World I Know" and "Shine" as a child, due to the fact that my Mum has always liked their music. The same can be applied to bands such as Garbage, Live, Soundgarden etc. The main difference would be that instead of growing up with these bands in the 2000s, I would have actually been alive when these bands were at their peak and releasing their debut albums.

- However, in saying that, there would be a few differences (music wise). I never would have listened to Linkin Park, System of a Down, Static-X or Evanescence (fortunately. :P) during my childhood.

- "Epic" by Faith No More and "Poison" by Alice Cooper would have been released in the year I was born.  8)

- I would have been alive when The Simpsons was at it's very best. :)

-There's a good chance that the PS1 still would have been my first console.

-As a 10 year old, I would have recorded NYE 1999/2000 onto VHS.  ;)

-I would have became interested in Astronomy in 1996, instead of 2006.

-Coincidentally, I would have started to dislike popular music (as a 9 year old) in 1998, much like how I did in 2008. Instead of disliking Beyonce's and Lady Gaga's new releases, I would have disliked Britney Spears' and Christina Aguilera's debut albums.

-I would have started High School and became a teenager in Early 2002.

-I still would of disliked current Top-40 music as a teenager. As a result, I would really miss the 90s.

-I would graduate High School in November 2007.

-Right now, I would be 27 years old and I would be turning 28 in three months time.

To be honest, after giving it a lot of thought, I really wish I was born ten years earlier.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 11:35 pm

If I was born 1983

- I would have been a peak TMNT kid. Late 1980s/early 1990s.
- I would have started with an NES or a Sega Master System, and then move into the Genesis/SNES, which would be dope.
- I'm guessing grunge would have been my preteen thing instead of pop punk.
- And pop-punk would have been my teen thing instead of faux-emo LOL
- I would graduate when I'm 18 instead of 17, since high school was 5 years here until 2002.
- I would remember the Bill Clinton presidency.
- My preteen years would be without Internet, assuming I still get it in 1997, which would change those years dramatically. No more online friends on MSN or Wikipedia :o I guess penpals would be a replacement for MSN, and I'd have to be content with just reading the library books as is instead of translating them to articles.
- I'd get my first job in 1997, which would mean I'd have to go store to store handing in my résumé. I wonder if I would have even bothered. By 2007, online applications were common place.
- No MP3 players or cellphones at all in high school. Just a CD player or walkman. At least I'd be saved from ringtone rap.
- I'd be in university in the early-mid 2000s, which would suck, because of the lack of online resources, and the video games would actually be good LOL
- I'd get my first post-university job just before the recession! Sad!
- I'd probably be a dad atm.

I know two people born 1983. One of them is my cousin. He used to beat me up when I was a kid because I said I wanted to play Power Rangers, but he'd play for real and beat me up! >:( We're cool now though. He has the cutest kids! I indoctrinated one of them to like Nintendo.

The other one is a mom I met in 2013 when I was staying at the children's hospital. She's a real fighter. She has a disabled kid, as do I, and we bonded in our misery ;D She lives in Montreal and I visited her when I went there. She makes the best tea. She makes her kids call me uncle though, and I get offended!! ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/21/16 at 11:53 pm

She has a disabled kid, as do I, and we bonded in our misery ;D

Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't know you are a father!  :o

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 12:02 am

Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't know you are a father!  :o

Oh, I'm not a dad. I have a sister who's 13 years younger than me. I guess, due to the age difference, I can be just as much of a father figure as a brother figure, especially this past year. ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/22/16 at 12:06 am

Oh, I'm not a dad. I have a sister whose 13 years younger than me. I guess, due to the age difference, I can be just as much of a father figure as a brother figure, especially this past year. ;D

Oh ok. I was just a bit confused when you mentioned that the woman you spoke to has a disabled child and then you said "as do I". :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 12:13 am

Oh ok. I was just a bit confused when you mentioned that the woman you spoke to has a disabled child and then you said "as do I". :P

Oh, I see. Yeah, I met her when I was staying overnight in the ICU waiting room when my sister was really sick. People over there bond mostly by talking about their children, and I guess, my sister was "my kid" ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/22/16 at 12:27 am

Oh this looks like a fun thread!

If I was born in 1972...

- My sister would be born in 1975 and my brother 1967 (lucky bastard!)
- My first memory would be around Christmas 1974 instead of 1984 and something like Scrooge would be playing on the TV instead of Trading Places.
- We got the NES around 1986-ish so in 1976 we might of gotten a... Philips Odyssey or something? 8-P No thanks!
- I wouldn't of grown up with 80's movies like Gremlins and Bill & Ted. My brother was old enough to catch the original Star Wars trilogy during it's tail end and if I was born in '72, I definitely would of been big into it catching every movie from the first one to Return of the Jedi.
- I wouldn't be born with a VCR in my house but my family would still be early adapters as we got ours in 1980 (yes, we could afford it)
- In 1981 my brother would of either been super into New Wave or Hardcore Punk and maybe I would of been more interested in his taste instead of that sh!tty grunge he listened to in 1991-1995.
- I got into Punk in 1994 with Dookie and Smash. The 80's had an especially rich Bay Area Punk scene so if I had a New Wave/Hardcore brother and it's 1984, instead of getting into Green Day and The Offspring, I might of gotten into bands like The Dead Kennedys, The Faction and Social Unrest. That's actually super cool! In 1995 I got deeper into the Punk scene by discovering bands like Bad Religion, NoFX, and I started going to shows in 1996. I think would of been deeper into the Punk scene a lot sooner if my brother was into the stuff and my tastes were already more underground. Probably would of started going to shows in 1984. Nice! 8)
- I might of been introduced to the harder, faster 80's incarnations of Green Day, Offspring, Bad Religion and NoFX first instead of their poppier 90's albums if I was heavily into Punk in the 80's. There are a lot of bands I would be around to see back then, too many to name. I definitely would of gotten into all the Bay Area Lookout Records bands during their peak and would of frequently visited the Gilman Street venue when it opened in 1986. I also would be reading zines like Maximum RocknRoll and Flipside for my Punk Rock information.
- My first skateboard was bought in 1995 but if my timeline above works for Punk, it'd would work for skateboarding, too. I would of probably gotten a Powell, G&S, Alva or Vision deck as my first and my favorite skaters would of been guys like Lance Mountain, Neil Blender, Mike Vallely and Tommy Guerrero. I would of grown up with skate videos like Bones Brigade Video Show, Future Primitive, Skatevisions, Shackle Me Not, Hokus Pokus, etc. My boards would of lasted me a lot longer, too, with all the protective plastic add-ons that were popular back then. I would also be around to read 80's Thrasher and attend the Savannah Slamma in 1987/1988.
- I'd meet my wife in 1987 (instead of 1997) and we'd start going out in 1989 (instead of 1999). I also would of gotten my first job in 1989 (which I'd still probably get shortly got fired from. My job history is a long, long story).
- I'd graduate in 1990 (calling Early 90's Guy!!! ;)) instead of 2000.
- I might not of gotten into 90's and early 00's Pop Punk considering it too poppy. But then again, I know lots of 80's guys who were into the stuff as much as I was so who knows. I'd still hate Nu Metal and Post-Grunge but I'd be a grumpy old man about it as it wouldn't be my era.
- My sister would of started high school in 1989 instead of 1999 and maybe would of had a crush on a grunge guy in 1991-1992 instead of a nu metal guy 2001-2002. She would of brought home bad Pearl Jam CD's instead of Papa Roach and played them on our home stereo. This situation still sucks however you put it.
- Would of gotten married in 1997 instead of 2007.
- Would of gotten my current job around 2001 instead of 2011.
- I'd be 44 right now and still probably childless. My favorite word is DINK! :D

Being born in 1972 seems a hell of a lot cooler than being born in 1982! :P

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/16 at 12:41 am

I would remember the 1980's. And that would be awesome!  :)

I probably wouldn't suffer from as much depression and messy health stuff.

I probably would listen to the Top 40 countdown every week.

I would watch MTV like crazy.

I probably wouldn't be into television much. I'm not a big fan of 80's TV.

I probably would buy those Transformer toys even if I'm not a big fan of the show/cartoon.

I would have went to the theaters at the end of every week.

I would have been a teenager in the 90's, and that would have been awesome too.

I would get to see how my parents like when they were in their 40's.

I probably would be HUGE into Michael Jackson.

Written By: aja675 on 12/22/16 at 3:21 am

My first musical memory would be some cheesy pop song from 1987 I'd hear when I was 1. (In this world, my first musical memory was Mama by the Spice Girls.)
I'd get the Internet at 16.
Half of what ZeldaFan20 said.
I suppose that I'd still have good early childhood memories, so I guess I'd probably have the early childhood memories of someone born late 1984 or early 1985.
My first memory of this outdoor shopping center would be in 1988: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhills_Shopping_Center

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/16 at 3:25 pm

If you born 10 years younger, your parents would be 10 years younger too, so in some in some cases, if your parents were young when they had you, say 18 to 27 years old, being ten years younger, you may not even exist.

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 4:31 pm

If you born 10 years younger, your parents would be 10 years younger too, so in some in some cases, if your parents were young when they had you, say 18 to 27 years old, being ten years younger, you may not even exist.

My mom says she's 25, so she had me when she was 2. :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/22/16 at 10:41 pm

Needless to say, If I had been born in 1977, my life would have been considerably different! :o

I would be in Generation X instead of Generation Y.
My first game console probably would've been an Atari 2600 instead of an NES.
Instead of a Commodore Amiga, the first PC I ever used probably would've been a Commodore 64, Apple II or perhaps Atari 800.
I probably would've seen classic early '80s films in the theater, like E.T. and Return of the Jedi.
I would remember my parents getting their first VCR in 1989.
Would've gone all the way up to high school without cable, as opposed to just 1st grade.
I would actually remember a time when nuclear war with Russia was still seen as a possibility.
Likely would've been one of the school kids that watched the Challenger explosion live on TV in class on January 28, 1986.
I would've been in middle school from 1988-1991 and probably would've liked cheesy music like Hair Metal and Vanilla Ice during that time.
I would remember the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War quite well.
Would probably remember buying actual records at the music store.
Might've still gotten into TMNT as an older late '80/early '90s kid, though probably not as intently as I did as a four and five-year-old.
In high school from 1991-1995, I would've been a peak Grunge Era teen, and would've shed tears on April 8, 1994 when Kurt Cobain was found dead.
In college from 1995-1999, I would've been able to get a job and get a life going for myself well before the late '00s economic collapse.
My first presidential election would've been 1996, in which I likely would've voted for Bill Clinton over Bob Dole.
As a young adult in the 2000's, I would be much more ambivalent to music from that decade, like how I am now with 2010's music.
I would be getting ready to turn 40 next year.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/22/16 at 11:09 pm

Well my biological parents were born in 49' & 57', so it actually wouldn't be that far fetched in my situation if they decided to have me 10 years prior. ;)

The only issue is that one of my sisters born in 86' may not have been born, if I were to be born that same year :(

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/22/16 at 11:52 pm

My parents were born in 1964 and 1967, so they would have been 24 and 21 years old respectively if I was born ten year earlier. Even though my situation wouldn't have been far fetched, they were still reasonably young to have children at the time. I couldn't imagine myself becoming a father in the space of just three (and a bit) years from now. :P  Not only that, but they didn't get married until the following year. Realistically, I could have been born at anytime between 1990-1999, especially considering the fact that I don't have any siblings.

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/23/16 at 12:18 am

My parents were born in 1964 and 1967, so they would have been 24 and 21 years old respectively if I was born ten year earlier. Even though my situation wouldn't have been far fetched, they were still reasonably young to have children at the time. I  couldn't imagine myself becoming a father in the space of just three (and a bit) years from now. :P  Not only that, but they didn't get married until the following year. Realistically, I could have been born at anytime between 1990-1999, especially considering the fact that I don't have any siblings.

Ahahahaha! LOL, this made me laugh! 🤣

Written By: Howard on 12/23/16 at 7:33 am

If I was born 10 years earlier, I would've graduated High School in 1982.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/23/16 at 9:31 am

My parents were born in 1964 and 1967, so they would have been 24 and 21 years old respectively if I was born ten year earlier. Even though my situation wouldn't have been far fetched, they were still reasonably young to have children at the time. I couldn't imagine myself becoming a father in the space of just three (and a bit) years from now. :P  Not only that, but they didn't get married until the following year. Realistically, I could have been born at anytime between 1990-1999, especially considering the fact that I don't have any siblings.

What a bizarre coincidence. My parents are the exact same age as yours (my dad was born in 1964 and my mom was born in 1967)! :o

And, yes, they were very young when I was born. My dad was only 23 and my mom had just turned 20. Today, as a 29-year-old childless bachelor, it is really weird thinking about becoming a parent that young.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/23/16 at 3:43 pm

What a bizarre coincidence. My parents are the exact same age as yours (my dad was born in 1964 and my mom was born in 1967)! :o

And, yes, they were very young when I was born. My dad was only 23 and my mom had just turned 20. Today, as a 29-year-old childless bachelor, it is really weird thinking about becoming a parent that young.

That's interesting to hear! The only difference is that my Mum was born in 1964 and my Dad was born in 1967. From my point of view, it's interesting to think that I realistically could have been born as early as 1987. It's strange to think that both of our parents are the same age, even though you are twelve years older than me. :P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/23/16 at 8:55 pm

That's interesting to hear! The only difference is that my Mum was born in 1964 and my Dad was born in 1967. From my point of view, it's interesting to think that I realistically could have been born as early as 1987. It's strange to think that both of our parents are the same age, even though you are twelve years older than me. :P

Yes, it is quite odd when you think about it like that. :o

Of course, it was also strange for me growing up because my parents were so much younger than most of my classmates parents were. While my parents were Gen Xers, most of my friends' parents were Baby Boomers. In fact, one of my best friends in elementary school had a dad that was born in 1944, meaning that he was from the tail end of the Silent Generation. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/24/16 at 10:28 am

Yes, it is quite odd when you think about it like that. :o

Of course, it was also strange for me growing up because my parents were so much younger than most of my classmates parents were. While my parents were Gen Xers, most of my friends' parents were Baby Boomers. In fact, one of my best friends in elementary school had a dad that was born in 1944, meaning that he was from the tail end of the Silent Generation. :o

If he was born in 1987, then that would've mean he gave birth at age 43. Which is two years older than my dad (he was 41 when I was born in 1999).

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/16 at 11:36 am

If he was born in 1987, then that would've mean he gave birth at age 43. Which is two years older than my dad (he was 41 when I was born in 1999).

My dad born 1958 had my sisters in 2005, when he was almost 47! I think the biggest age gap in my family though is my grandad born 1919 having my uncle born in 1973 or 1975 (not sure exactly). He would be 54 or 56 when that happened :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/24/16 at 1:00 pm

My dad born 1958 had my sisters in 2005, when he was almost 47! I think the biggest age gap in my family though is my grandad born 1919 having my uncle born in 1973 or 1975 (not sure exactly). He would be 54 or 56 when that happened :o

You have a lot of relatives that were parents really late. No offense though.

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/16 at 1:38 pm

You have a lot of relatives that were parents really late. No offense though.

They had large families. My mom has/had 7 siblings. The oldest one was born not long after the war (late 1940s), and the youngest aforementioned one in the mid-1970s. My mom was born 1966. It's pretty neat, I have a lot of cousins :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/24/16 at 4:56 pm

That's quite amazing! :o

It was always the exact opposite in my family, where most had kids at a fairly early age. My great-grandmother was born in 1920, and was only 19 when my grandfather was born in 1939. My grandmother was 27 when my mom was born, which is actually somewhat old compared to my mom who was only 20 when I was born.

And in typing this post, I just realized something shocking. If I'd had a kid at age 19 like my great-grandmother, then I would currently be the father of a 10-year-old! :o

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/23/17 at 12:32 pm

Had I been born 10 years earlier, I would have been a teenager in the decade which had the best music - the 1960s.

Although had that happened, my mother would still have been in school! I would also have been born in Britain.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/23/17 at 2:03 pm

If I were born in 1989:

I would have a certain chance of remembering 9/11 instead of having one vague memory from 2001.
I would remember life before the internet.
I would touch school before the the fear of schoolyard violence escalated in the late 90's.
I may have a chance of remembering important events in the mid 90's (The OJ Simpson Car Chase and Trial, Oklahoma City Bombing, Atlanta Bombing, etc), but they'd likely not be things I would have been pensive about.
Y2K is almost certainly something I'd remember.
My first election would be 2008, and my first midterm election would be 2010.

Now if I were born in 2009:

I would have been born many years after 9/11.
I may have a chance of not remembering the popularity broadband.
My first phone may be an iPhone instead of a basic flip phone
I would have got my phone much earlier - I got mine when I was 13 years old
I would not remember Bin Laden's Killing.
I would attend school after the Sandy Hook shootings took place.
I may have the chance to remember stuff like Isla Vista, the Crimean Crisis, Charleston, and the Pulse Nightclub shootings, but they would have no impact on me.
My first election would be in 2028, and my first midterms would be in 2030.

Check for new replies or respond here...