inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you were born and raised in a different country

Written By: d90 on 12/30/16 at 8:51 pm

This thread is inspired by the what if you were born later and earlier threads.
I thought it would be interesting to ponder what my life would be like if i was born in a different country and grew up there.
Russia.
If i was born in Russia i would have been born during the last few years of the Soviet Union's existence and i would not remember what life was like then.
I would have been 1 when the Soviet  Union fell
I would know what living in poor conditions is like if my parents were unable to find work in post Soviet Russia
I would have watched Nu Pagodi and Chebarashka and russian dubs of Disney movies
I might have good feelings of Stalin
Germany
If i was born in East Germany i would have been one of the last babies born in East Germany before it reunited with West Germany
I would have watched shows like Sandmanchen and German dubs of American cartoons.

Subject: Re: If you were born and raised in a different country

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/16 at 9:10 pm

Firstly, in order to be born in another country, your mother would have to be there first?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/30/16 at 9:48 pm

If I was born and raised in the US...

- I would have started elementary school in 2004 (I think). Not sure what month though.
- Seeing people with guns would be the norm...
- I would only know Imperial units.
- I wouldn't have to wear a school uniform.
- High school years wouldn't be called "years". I would know them as Sophomore, Freshmen etc.
- The health system would be entirely different. If I still had of fractured my wrist (at the age of 14), it would of cost thousands in medical expenses.
- I would have to go to Middle School!
- Even though I would have been born/raised in the US, I would probably prefer to live in Canada instead.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/30/16 at 10:55 pm

If I lived in Ontario, which is in Canada (since it's most likely another country that I could've lived in)...

I would've been in junior kindergarten by the 2003-04 school year.
My TV experience would've been mostly YTV, Teletoon, and the Family Channel as a kid.
I would've been a fan of the Toronto Blue Jays growing up.
Instead of baseball being everywhere, I would've saw everyone play hockey while rooting for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Despite that they haven't won a Stanley Cup in 50 years.
I wouldn't whine so much about politics, since Canada is more progressive than America and moves on from racism.
I would've been proud to listen to "O, Canada" as my national anthem.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/16 at 8:08 am

Firstly, in order to be born in another country, your mother would have to be there first?

Yes, that is true.

Written By: XYkid on 01/06/17 at 9:36 am

I'm half Russian and I know for a fact that my scrawny, gay ass would never make it, and even if I did I probably would never feel like I could be my true self unless I moved to a more accepting country.

I kind of wish I had been born in Canada, or somewhere in Western Europe.

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/23/17 at 12:27 pm

I already was born in a different country to the one I currently live in! But I know that if I had been born in South Africa, I would not have had black classmates due to apartheid.

Had I been born in Europe, I would have been raised with the metric system of measurement (which I don't understand).

Written By: Howard on 01/23/17 at 2:59 pm

I would've liked to have been raised in India.

Check for new replies or respond here...