inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs you thought were done by different artists than they actually were?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/06/17 at 10:32 am

For much of my life, I used to think "Pop Muzik" (the tagline of most of our forum members!) was a Devo song, but recently I discovered it was done by a group called M. :P

Subject: Re: Songs you thought were done by different artists than they actually were?

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/17 at 10:42 am

I'll just repost what I wrote in the "song you often forget are cover songs" thread because it says it all.

Pretty much everyone who sings Boys of the Summer. Takes me a while to remember it was Bruce Springsteen.

edit: MESS it was made by Don Henley.

Subject: Re: Songs you thought were done by different artists than they actually were?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/06/17 at 11:27 am

Platinum Blonde probably did the only musical cover that I actually like of the Police song Message In A Bottle.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/06/17 at 4:24 pm

I thought the song "One Bad Apple" were done By The Jackson 5 but they were done by The Osmonds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlFQvbHVk5o

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/07/17 at 3:57 am

To be honest, for a long time, I thought "Cats in the Cradle" was a song by Cat Stevens.  :-[

Written By: Howard on 01/07/17 at 7:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPeQGWL7fok
I always thought that this song was sung by a guy.  :o

Written By: Catherine91UK on 01/09/17 at 9:48 am

I thought Tori Kelly's "Should've Been Us" was by Ariana Grande at first.

Written By: nally on 01/09/17 at 11:26 am

I used to think that certain songs by Jan And Dean were actually by the Beach Boys... due to both bands being in the genre of "surf rock", which was popular in the early 60's. And they sounded somewhat similar.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/17 at 2:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPeQGWL7fok
I always thought that this song was sung by a guy.  :o
The singer of this song is that of Alison Moyer, who subsequently went on to have a successful solo career.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/10/17 at 2:48 am

When I was 12, my sister told me Rihanna sung Titanium, so I just believed that until I heard a radio host say it was by David Guetta featuring Sia. I keep up with music charts now, and I haven't made a mistake like that since then.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/17 at 2:58 pm

The singer of this song is that of Alison Moyer, who subsequently went on to have a successful solo career.

That's why I thought at first it was a man that sung the song till I found out watching the video it was a woman singing.

Written By: nally on 01/10/17 at 5:47 pm

"Lies" by The Knickerbockers.

The first time I heard it, I thought it was by The Beatles! Especially since the lead singer does a spot on imitation of John Lennon in some cases. :D

Written By: aja675 on 01/11/17 at 9:15 am

I used to think Poker Face was by Britney Spears when it was new, because at the time, I was used to her being the only person doing that kind of music, and because I first heard it on a Filipino variety show being sung by other people.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 1:58 pm

I used to think Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was from Madonna. Little did I know it was Cyndi Lauper.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/17 at 3:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk
I used to think "Tom Sawyer" was sung by a woman.  :o

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/13/17 at 6:03 am

I always thought "Comedown" was a Nirvana song, but it is actually a song by Bush. It's a great song, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewuzKHZGKo

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/23/17 at 12:23 pm

I thought 'I Want To Stay Here' by Steve and Eydie was by Nina and Frederick.

Written By: nally on 01/23/17 at 10:44 pm

I always thought "Comedown" was a Nirvana song, but it is actually a song by Bush. It's a great song, in my opinion.

Oh yes, I know (and enjoy listening to) that one too. O0 Gavin Rossdale seems to do a decent imitation of Kurt cobain in that recording, although Kurt had passed not long before this song was recorded.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/01/17 at 2:02 am

My mom thought that George Michael was the only male singer who had a powerful voice.  But Alan Frew who fronts the Canadian band Glass Tiger sounds almost like him.  The only difference between Alan and George is that one was born in Coatbridge in Scotland and the other was born in London in England so I'm unsure of how she could confuse the two?

UHYtsnSlCg0

Maybe it's because Alan never lost his accent?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/01/17 at 2:11 am

Oh yes, I know (and enjoy listening to) that one too. O0 Gavin Rossdale seems to do a decent imitation of Kurt cobain in that recording, although Kurt had passed not long before this song was recorded.

I honestly think "wannabe" is a better terminology for what Gavin is.  Everytime ever heard that song Comedown or any song by Bush I always thought to myself "look at that Kurt Cobain wannabe!"
Who wants to listen to a wannabe when we could have had the real thing had he lived?

Written By: nally on 03/01/17 at 10:24 am

My mom thought that George Michael was the only male singer who had a powerful voice.  But Alan Frew who fronts the Canadian band Glass Tiger sounds almost like him.  The only difference between Alan and George is that one was born in Coatbridge in Scotland and the other was born in London in England so I'm unsure of how she could confuse the two?

I notice that too!! I kinda thought that too when I first heard Glass Tiger's 1986 hit "Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone"; the lead singer does sound a lot like the late George Michael in that recording. (I also know "Someday".)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/01/17 at 10:38 am

When I was a kid, I thought Misirlou was made by the Black Eyed Peas. But several years later, when I watched Pulp Fiction, I found out it was made by Dick Dale.

Written By: nally on 03/01/17 at 10:42 am

When I was a kid, I thought Misirlou was made by the Black Eyed Peas. But several years later, when I watched Pulp Fiction, I found out it was made by Dick Dale.

Yeah, it is an old song. It actually dates back a little further than that, but Dick Dale's 1962 recording helped popularize the song around the world.

BEP sampled it in their 2006 single "Pump It".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/01/17 at 10:48 am

Yeah, it is an old song. It actually dates back a little further than that, but Dick Dale's 1962 recording helped popularize the song around the world.

BEP sampled it in their 2006 single "Pump It".

I heard that "Misirlou" was an Arabic folk song that was first recorded in 1927. Dick Dale recorded it in the early 60s, but it wasn't truly popular until Quentin Tarantino featured it in the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

Written By: nally on 03/01/17 at 10:53 am

I heard that "Misirlou" was an Arabic folk song that was first recorded in 1927.

That's right. I was reading about that in Wikpedia.

Dick Dale recorded it in the early 60s, but it wasn't truly popular until Quentin Tarantino featured it in the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

...which of course was three decades later.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/17 at 2:49 pm

UHYtsnSlCg0

the voice is so uncanny. :o

Written By: nally on 03/01/17 at 11:32 pm

the voice is so uncanny. :o

Exactly why some people probably think they sound so similar... even though one of them is from Canada and the other is from UK.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/04/17 at 3:50 am

I honestly think "wannabe" is a better terminology for what Gavin is.  Everytime ever heard that song Comedown or any song by Bush I always thought to myself "look at that Kurt Cobain wannabe!"
Who wants to listen to a wannabe when we could have had the real thing had he lived?

I understand what you mean, although I do admittedly disagree with some of the points you raised. Kurt Cobain was a better vocalist and had more natural talent, without a doubt. I think very few people would believe that Gavin Rossdale is a better vocalist than Kurt Cobain. However, I do believe people judge Rossdale's vocalist skills a bit too harshly. Gavin Rossdale may sound vocally similar to Kurt Cobain, but he is still a good vocalist, in my opinion. There are people who naturally have the same vocal range and similar vocals.  I personally believe "Comedown" and "Glycerine" deserve to receive the same level of praise as the Grunge songs released in the Early 90s.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/17 at 7:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpTgCho5ZA
For some strange reason, I thought this vocal range from this song sounded like Frankie Valli

Written By: tv on 07/19/17 at 12:52 pm

I used to think "All I Want" by "Toad The Wet Sprocket" which was a hit 1992 was sung by the band "Soul Asylum". I'm like who is "Toad The Wet Sprocket"? Later I found out the whole "Toad The Wet Sprocket" discography and who the band was. A hit on the same album("Fear") that contained "All I Want" was "Walk On the Ocean" but it didn't sound like "Soul Asylum" nearly as much as "All I Want" did. Later songs like "Good Intentions"(1995) and "Somethings Always Wrong"(1994) by "Toad The Wet Sprocket" sounded like standard 1990's Jangle-Pop to me rather than the pop-alterna sound of their first album ""Fear" which was released in 1991.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/19/17 at 5:39 pm

My mom heard me listening to Spoons a while ago and she said "are they English?"? I said "No they're Canadian.  They're from Burlington!" ;D I guess because she thought that Gord had an English accent.  But Gord's parents are both German imigrants who often dreamed of moving to Canada and specifically Burlington to raise Gord and his brother Gary.

KA5CEUZH1AA

Written By: nally on 08/24/17 at 9:49 pm

I think some people have misattributed the Styx song "Mr. Roboto" to Queen, due to Dennis DeYoung's near-imitation of Freddie Mercury in some cases.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 10:39 am

Count me in on thinking Getty Lee was a woman. I also thought The Sign was No Doubt, not Ace of Base!

Written By: Howard on 01/07/18 at 3:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYpNQXK6lpM
I always thought the person singing was a guy. :o

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/08/18 at 10:17 am

I thought 'Dina Farger Pa Bla' was by Tomas Ledin but it is actually by Tommy Nilsson.

Written By: nally on 01/08/18 at 11:15 am

I also thought The Sign was No Doubt, not Ace of Base!

Interesting, considering that album came out in late 1993, two years before No Doubt became well-known (with their album Tragic Kingdom).

Written By: nally on 01/27/18 at 12:26 am

Big Mountain's cover of "Baby I Love Your Way" (early 1994). The first time I heard it, I thought it was by UB40. This is perhaps due in part to the lead vocalists of the respective bands sounding similar, and both bands' primarily styles being reggae. However, Big Mountain was an American-based band, whereas UB40 is a British band.

Written By: nally on 04/30/18 at 7:08 pm

"The Walls Came Down" by The Call. The first time I heard it, I thought it was the Talking Heads.

Check for new replies or respond here...