inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The smartphone was not revolutionary!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/17 at 5:33 pm

I now understand what Infinity and MusicGuy have been saying. It was really not revolutionary. I know some people have said this, but these things are truly for convenience. In fact, we all could still do the same things as a decade ago. We still took selfies with DCs; we listened to music on Ipods/MP3s; shoot, we even recorded videos and chatted with others on the PCs. The smartphone is just everything in one. Before most people even had one, there were phones that were semi-smart, but they were not called them at all. The cellphone was the real change. Before them, people could not call anyone unless they were at home, school or work. Even if someone had a cellphone, if the other person didn't have one, then they were outta luck. Yeah, phone-booths still existed; however, they also had their cons. The main differences between them and the current ones today are that the older ones has a real keyboard, smaller and non-touchscreen while the latter have touchscreens, virtual KBs, and large screens. Does anyone recall these phones?

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/36551-image/T-Mobile-Sidekick2008-Review-Design-12.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--8ANdOuJ2--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18r87jd7r8qiyjpg.jpg

http://www.rim.com/news/kit/media/images/product/Bold_9650_Sprint_Front.jpg

Hopefully sooner or later, we finally see true revolutionary technology, and not just a device for convenience. Oh, and check out this thread. I read it a few days ago and it was interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/5l9ibn/millennials_are_the_most_employed_generation_in/dbudph7/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/5l9ibn/millennials_are_the_most_employed_generation_in/dbugill/

Subject: Re: The smartphone was not revolutionary!

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/17 at 6:49 pm

I hated cellphones. They were annoying, and were used to talk to annoying people you didn't want to talk to ;D I would leave my cellphone in my drawer and wouldn't charge it for weeks until someone tells me they were trying to call me and I remembered I owned one of those damned things.

Smartphones are the real deal. You can do actual useful things with them. The moment I got my smartphone in 2010, my life changed forever.

I mean, right off the bat, I could tell you that the GPS combined with the public transport data available on Google Maps opened up a lot of the city to me, and had me check out places I never would've went to before. My life in 2010 was already very different from my life in 2009.

I'll make a longer less inflammatory post later about how smartphones changed my life. I'd be absolutely useless without my smartphone ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/17 at 6:56 pm

As human history gets longer, it gets harder and harder to be original, revolutionary, and inventive.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/17 at 7:01 pm

I remember when flip phones and slider phones were still a thing during the late 2000s. They were more popular during 2005 and 2006 though, but it was still the same with people until the early 2010s. I really don't know why people think smartphones are revolutionary in any way possible. I could care less about people texting and calling each other, but you could still use applications on personal computers. Plus, I think PCs are more safe, since it's not like you're tracked by your own cellular service. At least computers can give you more freedom.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/02/17 at 7:50 am

You can say the same thing with Social Media compared to the original Internet explosion a decade earlier, or even changes within Social Media itself, such as Friendster and MySpace instead of Facebook and Instagram.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/17 at 8:05 am

I hated cellphones. They were annoying, and were used to talk to annoying people you didn't want to talk to ;D I would leave my cellphone in my drawer and wouldn't charge it for weeks until someone tells me they were trying to call me and I remembered I owned one of those damned things.

Smartphones are the real deal.......

Smartphones, iPhones, Blackberry Phones, Android Phones, etc. are all cellphones lol.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/17 at 2:53 pm

You can say the same thing with Social Media compared to the original Internet explosion a decade earlier, or even changes within Social Media itself, such as Friendster and MySpace instead of Facebook and Instagram.

That was back in the 90's.

Written By: 2001 on 02/02/17 at 3:09 pm

Smartphones, iPhones, Blackberry Phones, Android Phones, etc. are all cellphones lol.

I could do without the phone part though to be honest ;D (except texting)

Written By: Howard on 02/02/17 at 3:30 pm

I could do without the phone part though to be honest ;D (except texting)

You still text?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/02/17 at 3:45 pm

I think the whole point of the revolution of smartphones was that it was the first device in which you weren't required to use multiple devices for different functions.

-Prior to this if you wanted to call someone you obviously had to use the landline at home or in the 2000's you would use a cell phone.

-If you wanted to make a list of certain things you needed to do, you would have to buy note cards at the store or a calendar for your room/office to write on

-If you wanted to listen to music you would have to buy a stereo, radio, walkman, discman, or ipod

-If you wanted to rent a movie you would have to physically go to the store that was close by to you to rent it

-If you wanted to use the internet you would have to go home or to your office to use the computer

-If you wanted to get directions somewhere you would have to physically ask someone where to go or buy a map at the store

-If you wanted to take pictures you would have to buy a camera, and to view those pictures you would have to get them developed

-If you wanted to take video you would have to buy a camcorder

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. The revolution wasn't so much the ability to do these things. 10 years ago you had iPods, computers/laptops, cell phones, digital cameras, and other devices or means to use the things that we use today. The revolution was that, for the first time in history you could theoretically only need one device to conduct in your daily activities. Granted smartphones 10 years ago were pretty expensive, but take into account that to have the full smartphone experience without buying a smartphone would've cost more money, ie buying a digital camera, cell phone, iPod, GPS, & digital camcorder would've cost you more money. This also marked a turning point in society to the issue regarding privacy. 10-15 years ago, nobody carried cameras/camcorders on them 24/7 unless they were on vacation, hanging out with friends, or at other social events. So most people didn't have much concern of someone taking a random picture of themselves without their consent. However, since smartphones are pretty ubiquitous in our society, when we all leave our house we are technically bringing with us a camera and we could take pictures of anything, anywhere, any time. I really don't understand how anybody would think less about how dramatic the invention/adoption smartphones have been in our society. Perhaps it wasn't as dramatic or innovative as the invention/adoption of the internet itself in the mid-late 90's, but to deny the smartphone's impact doesn't make much sense.

Smartphones are the real deal. You can do actual useful things with them. The moment I got my smartphone in 2010, my life changed forever.

I mean, right off the bat, I could tell you that the GPS combined with the public transport data available on Google Maps opened up a lot of the city to me, and had me check out places I never would've went to before. My life in 2010 was already very different from my life in 2009.

I'll make a longer less inflammatory post later about how smartphones changed my life. I'd be absolutely useless without my smartphone ;D

Lol I was the same. Back when I was 13 my parents would complain to me that 'You never turn on your damn cell phone!". Now in 2017 my parents complain 'You're always on your damn phone!" ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/03/17 at 7:25 am

I think the whole point of the revolution of smartphones was that it was the first device in which you weren't required to use multiple devices for different functions.

-Prior to this if you wanted to call someone you obviously had to use the landline at home or in the 2000's you would use a cell phone.

-If you wanted to make a list of certain things you needed to do, you would have to buy note cards at the store or a calendar for your room/office to write on

-If you wanted to listen to music you would have to buy a stereo, radio, walkman, discman, or ipod

-If you wanted to rent a movie you would have to physically go to the store that was close by to you to rent it

-If you wanted to use the internet you would have to go home or to your office to use the computer

-If you wanted to get directions somewhere you would have to physically ask someone where to go or buy a map at the store

-If you wanted to take pictures you would have to buy a camera, and to view those pictures you would have to get them developed

-If you wanted to take video you would have to buy a camcorder

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. The revolution wasn't so much the ability to do these things. 10 years ago you had iPods, computers/laptops, cell phones, digital cameras, and other devices or means to use the things that we use today. The revolution was that, for the first time in history you could theoretically only need one device to conduct in your daily activities. Granted smartphones 10 years ago were pretty expensive, but take into account that to have the full smartphone experience without buying a smartphone would've cost more money, ie buying a digital camera, cell phone, iPod, GPS, & digital camcorder would've cost you more money. This also marked a turning point in society to the issue regarding privacy. 10-15 years ago, nobody carried cameras/camcorders on them 24/7 unless they were on vacation, hanging out with friends, or at other social events. So most people didn't have much concern of someone taking a random picture of themselves without their consent. However, since smartphones are pretty ubiquitous in our society, when we all leave our house we are technically bringing with us a camera and we could take pictures of anything, anywhere, any time. I really don't understand how anybody would think less about how dramatic the invention/adoption smartphones have been in our society. Perhaps it wasn't as dramatic or innovative as the invention/adoption of the internet itself in the mid-late 90's, but to deny the smartphone's impact doesn't make much sense.

Lol I was the same. Back when I was 13 my parents would complain to me that 'You never turn on your damn cell phone!". Now in 2017 my parents complain 'You're always on your damn phone!" ;D

It seems like yesterday we were renting from Blockbuster. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...