inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Generation Denial

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/07/17 at 5:03 pm

I apologize if this has been discussed too much, but I just couldn't help myself. It truly boggles my mind and is laughable when there are some people who are literally in denial in what generation they are associated with.

For example, I've been reading threads (not on here) where some 80s folks have stated that they are Generation X despite that they don't really have anything in common with them. For one, they don't recall the events that impacted Gen X. They don't have any of their traits. They actually had internet and social media in high school/college (Seriously, they forgot that adolescents are the biggest users for both) and they have more acceptance towards minority groups than previous generations.

Here are some I found.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/what-year-should-be-the-cutoff-to-be-a-millennial.524769/

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/movie-tv/survivor---millennials-vs-gen-x/65142018/page-2/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1911318_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Survivor--Millennials-Vs--Gen-X.html&page=1

If people don't want any of their generation label tainted, stop being ashamed, own the label and be proud of your generation. Each one will always have positives and negatives.

Subject: Re: Generation Denial

Written By: bchris02 on 04/07/17 at 5:57 pm

I'll take a crack at this.  Being born in 1985, I was told I was Generation X through most of my childhood.  In the late 2000s I was grouped in with the Millennials.  Today, as the "start date" for the Millennial generation keeps getting pushed later and later, I am a cusper or even full Generation X again.  I feel however that I share more cultural traits with Millennials than GenX and I consider myself a Millennial, albeit an older one.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/07/17 at 6:24 pm

I'll take a crack at this.  Being born in 1985, I was told I was Generation X through most of my childhood.  In the late 2000s I was grouped in with the Millennials.  Today, as the "start date" for the Millennial generation keeps getting pushed later and later, I am a cusper or even full Generation X again.  I feel however that I share more cultural traits with Millennials than GenX and I consider myself a Millennial, albeit an older one.
I think the only reason the Millennial start date keeps getting pushed back is because the media assumes they are in their teens and 20s while Gen X is in their 30s and 40s when that is false. Most of the Xers were in their 40s with some older ones in their 50s. As for the Millennials, they are sure as hell not in high school (and maybe) college (as a traditional student) anymore. Besides, they are currently in their 20s and 30s with some older ones nearing 40. When is the media going to realize that?

Oh, and I agree that you are definitely an older Millennial. I honestly wish folks in your age range would accept that reality, but constantly refuse to recognize that. 

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 1:00 am

I think the only reason the Millennial start date keeps getting pushed back is because the media assumes they are in their teens and 20s while Gen X is in their 30s and 40s when that is false. Most of the Xers were in their 40s with some older ones in their 50s. As for the Millennials, they are sure as hell not in high school (and maybe) college (as a traditional student) anymore. Besides, they are currently in their 20s and 30s with some older ones nearing 40. When is the media going to realize that?

Oh, and I agree that you are definitely an older Millennial. I honestly wish folks in your age range would accept that reality, but constantly refuse to recognize that.

I agree.  The high school class of 2018 will be the last graduating class that can be considered millennials and that's by a liberal definition of the generation.  Most people cut it off with 1996ers, so the youngest are in college and the oldest are in their mid 30s.  When the term "Millennial" was popularized back in the late 2000s, it referred to people in their teens and twenties which back then was correct.

A lot of people my age have become more conservative and don't want to be associated with the SJW-culture that defines the Millennial stereotype.  '85ers do have some things in common with GenX, in that we remember the Cold War and the fall of the Berlin Wall, didn't have cell phones until high school and they were pre-flipphones, and grew up in a time when computers were a luxury and Internet, if you even had it, was very slow dial-up.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/08/17 at 1:06 am

Buzzfeed recently did a video on the different generations which brought the idea of "Generation Z" to nearly two million people's attention (if you read the comments on that video, you'll find many people born in 98-99 surprised to discover they're not Millennials, or that there's a generation after Millennials at all). The video used 1998-2010 which is a rather unusual and lopsided definition, but a definition nonetheless.

Since the simple-minded masses consume Buzzfeed in large quantities, I think more and more "normies" are realizing lately that Millennials aren't kids or teens anymore. Heck if you look at the Wikipedia pageviews, you'll see the Gen Z page had its hugest spike ever just recently, after that video was made.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/08/17 at 1:09 am

A lot of people my age have become more conservative and don't want to be associated with the SJW-culture that defines the Millennial stereotype.

That's really a trait of mid-90s millennials, tbqh (of which I am one, a bit shamefully). Of course, the media just bunches the entire cohort together as being liberal SJWs, even though many 80s-born Millennials are more conservative.

It's like how the media bunches baby boomers together as being the "Woodstock Generation" or "Hippie Generation", even though those born in 1954-1964 would've really been too young to participate in the drug-addled culture of the 60s.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 1:18 am

That's really a trait of mid-90s millennials, tbqh (of which I am one, a bit shamefully). Of course, the media just bunches the entire cohort together as being liberal SJWs, even though many 80s-born Millennials are more conservative.

'80s borns were pretty liberal 10 years ago.  It was us who elected Barack Obama in 2008.  I do think people get more conservative as they age as well as the edge of what is "liberal" keeps getting pushed.  I agree the SJW thing is more of a 90s-born thing while 80s-borns are more apt to be libertarians.

It's like how the media bunches baby boomers together as being the "Woodstock Generation" or "Hippie Generation", even though those born in 1954-1964 would've really been too young to participate in the drug-addled culture of the 60s.

This is true.  The hippie movement wasn't even a majority of baby boomers.  The baby boomer generation is commonly stereotyped for having been liberal due to the hippie movement, but the generation as a whole wasn't all that liberal.  It's the baby boomers who gave us Jerry Falwell and the modern religious right.  There was a huge "Jesus movement" in the 1970s that rose as a counter to the hippie movement.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 1:39 am

'80s borns were pretty liberal 10 years ago.  It was us who elected Barack Obama in 2008.  I do think people get more conservative as they age as well as the edge of what is "liberal" keeps getting pushed.  I agree the SJW thing is more of a 90s-born thing while 80s-borns are more apt to be libertarians.

This is true.  The hippie movement wasn't even a majority of baby boomers.  The baby boomer generation is commonly stereotyped for having been liberal due to the hippie movement, but the generation as a whole wasn't all that liberal.  It's the baby boomers who gave us Jerry Falwell and the modern religious right.  There was a huge "Jesus movement" in the 1970s that rose as a counter to the hippie movement.

Just one little nitpick, Jerry Falwell was born in 1933 so he definitely wasn't a Baby Boomer. He was a member of the Silent Generation.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 1:47 am

Just one little nitpick, Jerry Falwell was born in 1933 so he definitely wasn't a Baby Boomer. He was a member of the Silent Generation.

Good point.  I think the Christian Right may be a product of the silent generation.  They were the ones that grew up with the supposed ideal family values in the post-war era.  They were children of the 1940s and were teens during the 1950s.  They were extremely uneasy with the social changes of the 1960s and since then, have been on a mission to try to return us to the culture they grew up in.  Plenty of baby boomers are on board with it, but the major figureheads of the Christian Right are/were silent generation members.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/08/17 at 1:48 am

Chris, do you agree with me that since Buzzfeed did a video bringing attention to Gen Z, more "normies" will probably start realizing that Millennials aren't kids or teens anymore? The masses consume Buzzfeed like chocolate.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 1:57 am

Chris, do you agree with me that since Buzzfeed did a video bringing attention to Gen Z, more "normies" will probably start realizing that Millennials aren't kids or teens anymore? The masses consume Buzzfeed like chocolate.

I'm not really sure.  I think the change will come whenever Generation Z is behind some kind of national movement to make a mark for themselves.  You didn't really start hearing about Millennials and how they were different from GenX until around 2008, when Millennials became known for electing Barack Obama as President and Mark Zuckerberg began getting a lot of attention for the success of Facebook.  The Baby Boomers had Woodstock.  GenX had grunge and hip-hop.  Millennials had Obama and social media.  Generation Z doesn't really have anything yet to define them.  When they do, the media will shift focus to them instead of "millennials" who are no longer really millennials.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/17 at 3:39 am

I agree.  The high school class of 2018 will be the last graduating class that can be considered millennials and that's by a liberal definition of the generation.  Most people cut it off with 1996ers, so the youngest are in college and the oldest are in their mid 30s.  When the term "Millennial" was popularized back in the late 2000s, it referred to people in their teens and twenties which back then was correct.

A lot of people my age have become more conservative and don't want to be associated with the SJW-culture that defines the Millennial stereotype.  '85ers do have some things in common with GenX, in that we remember the Cold War and the fall of the Berlin Wall, didn't have cell phones until high school and they were pre-flipphones, and grew up in a time when computers were a luxury and Internet, if you even had it, was very slow dial-up.

I find that most of the really hardcore SJWs are born from 1990 to 1995.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/08/17 at 3:45 am

I find most of the hardcore SJWs to be born from 1995 to 1998 tbqh fam.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/17 at 3:48 am

It's rare for me to see a SJW that's born pre-1987.  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 10:14 am

Both of you are wrong, the hardcore SJWs were born from 1993-1997.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/08/17 at 10:57 am

Yep, I firmly believe that the number one reason why some '80s borns try so hard to be considered "Gen X" is that they don't want to be identified with the "SJW" stuff on college campuses that's been getting so much media attention the last few years. "Millennial" has really become less of a generational label these days, and more of an insult used to hurl at college kids who are perceived as easily offended "snowflakes".

I think another thing is that this type of stuff was not quite as prevalent when most '80s babies were in college, and so they don't want to be lumped in with it. I'm not sure about you, but I was in college from 2005-2009 and I don't remember things being as extreme as they are today. I mean, sure, there were social justice groups that spoke out on campus, but I never saw, like, people protesting over costumes and stuff like that.

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 11:08 am

Both of you are wrong, the hardcore SJWs were born from 1993-1997.

There were many social justice movements in my university already in 2011. Although, I live in Canada and social justice is less controversial here so...  :-X

It would be people born 1990+ is my guess, although 1990-1994 would be the pioneers. We grew up in the 2000s where the most common topics were gay marriage, whether to teach evolution in schools, whether to teach sex abstinence etc. and we were just sick of that religious junk.  ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 11:08 am

Yep, I firmly believe that the number one reason why some '80s borns try so hard to be considered "Gen X" is that they don't want to be identified with the "SJW" stuff on college campuses that's been getting so much media attention the last few years. "Millennial" has really become less of a generational label these days, and more of an insult used to hurl at college kids who are perceived as easily offended "snowflakes".

I think another thing is that this type of stuff was not quite as prevalent when most '80s babies were in college, and so they don't want to be lumped in with it. I'm not sure about you, but I was in college from 2005-2009 and I don't remember things being as extreme as they are today. I mean, sure, there were social justice groups that spoke out on campus, but I never saw, like, people protesting over costumes and stuff like that.

No one wants to be associated or lumped with SJWs. I'm in a "secret" group in school that only contains about four people including myself (one is a freshman and the two others are sophomores) laughing at SJW idiocy and the culture today.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:16 am

There were many social justice movements in my university already in 2011. Although, I live in Canada and social justice is less controversial here so...  :-X

It would be people born 1990+ is my guess, although 1990-1994 would be the pioneers. We grew up in the 2000s where the most common topics were gay marriage, whether to teach evolution in schools, whether to teach sex abstinence etc. and we were just sick of that religious junk.  ;D

In the USA, from what I've seen the "crème de la crème" of SJWs are people born 1993-1997.  Of course, there also SJWs born 1990-1992 and some born before 1990 but the majority of SJWs are ages 19-24.

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 11:30 am

In the USA, from what I've seen the "crème de la crème" of SJWs are people born 1993-1997.  Of course, there also SJWs born 1990-1992 and some born before 1990 but the majority of SJWs are ages 19-24.

Is there a way to measure this?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:30 am

Is there a way to measure this?

Yes, surveys my dear boy ;).

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 11:41 am

Where are they? :o Would someone other than me self-identify as an SJW?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:44 am

Where are they? :o Would someone other than me self-identify as an SJW?

I was just answering your question literally :D. However, truthfully based on my Web exploration 90% of SJWs were born from 1993-1997...7% were born before 1993 and 3% were born after 1997.

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 12:52 pm

I was just answering your question literally :D. However, truthfully based on my Web exploration 90% of SJWs were born from 1993-1997...7% were born before 1993 and 3% were born after 1997.

On another gaming forum I go on (Zelek's on it too!), it's very progressive and SJW-like, and most the people there are mid-20s to late 30s.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 1:15 pm

On another gaming forum I go on (Zelek's on it too!), it's very progressive and SJW-like, and most the people there are mid-20s to late 30s.  :-X

Being a progressive/liberal doesn't mean you are an SJW. I'm very liberal and progressive but I'm definetly not an SJW.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/08/17 at 1:48 pm

As I've said before, since normies watch Buzzfeed in droves, I think more and more people people are becoming aware that there's indeed a "Gen Z" and that Millennials are becoming decrepit and irrelevant.

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 2:08 pm

Being a progressive/liberal doesn't mean you are an SJW. I'm very liberal and progressive but I'm definetly not an SJW.

SJW is a pejorative, and use as an exonym rather than a self-identifier, so I don't think you get to be the judge of that. It's like hipster. ;D

As I've said before, since normies watch Buzzfeed in droves, I think more and more people people are becoming aware that there's indeed a "Gen Z" and that Millennials are becoming decrepit and irrelevant.

Gen Zzzz is only just starting!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 2:28 pm

SJW is a pejorative, and use as an exonym rather than a self-identifier, so I don't think you get to be the judge of that. It's like hipster. ;D

And you don't get to be the judge either. Fair is definetly fair. Based on that, no one is a hipster and no one is a SJW....::).

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 2:49 pm

And you don't get to be the judge either. Fair is definetly fair. Based on that, no one is a hipster and no one is a SJW....::).

Naw, life isn't fair. Other people get to judge you. ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 2:55 pm

Naw, life isn't fair. Other people get to judge you. ;)

That's the reason why this exits....
http://www.hoffco-inc.com/wwe/ppv/ppv/img/logo-jd07.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/17 at 3:19 pm

To be fair  :-X  ;D , it kind of does get annoying people calling people 'Snowflakes' all the time. Is a woman who has just gotten raped a 'Snowflake?' Is a man who experienced racism a 'Snowflake'? I wish these sheep on the Right would get more original material! I wish they would realize that some people do go through things, and cultivate some empathy.  ::)

Then the Right says that the Left whines and won't shut up. Yet there's obvious proof of them (the Right) protesting and being angry and loud, too, when Obama became president!  ::)  ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 3:26 pm

To be fair  :-X  ;D , it kind of does get annoying people calling people 'Snowflakes' all the time. Is a woman who has gotten raped a 'Snowflake?' Is a man who just experienced racism a 'Snowflake'? I wish these sheep on the Right would get more original material! I wish they would realize that some people do go through things, and cultivate some empathy.  ::)

I actually agree with that.

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 5:11 pm

To be fair  :-X  ;D , it kind of does get annoying people calling people 'Snowflakes' all the time. Is a woman who has just gotten raped a 'Snowflake?' Is a man who experienced racism a 'Snowflake'? I wish these sheep on the Right would get more original material! I wish they would realize that some people do go through things, and cultivate some empathy.  ::)

Then the Right says that the Left whines and won't shut up. Yet there's obvious proof of them (the Right) protesting and being angry and loud, too, when Obama became president!  ::)  ::)

You're turning into a Northeastern coastal liberal elite! All according to keikaku.

The alt-right slurs like "cuck" and "snowflake" and "SJW" have no effect on me. It's just name-calling.  :-X

On-topic: I'm Gen Y, not millennial.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 5:19 pm

::)
http://ci.memecdn.com/7989680.jpg

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 5:50 pm

You're turning into a Northeastern coastal liberal elite! All according to keikaku.

The alt-right slurs like "cuck" and "snowflake" and "SJW" have no effect on me. It's just name-calling.  :-X

I'm a conservative, but I'm not an alt-right (I don't use any of those terms, and I'm not a racist).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 6:05 pm

I'm a conservative, but I'm not an alt-right (I don't use any of those terms, and I'm not a racist).

That's awesome. I'm a liberal and I have no problem with someone being a conservative (I'm even conservative an a couple/few issues). However, conservatism or at least conservatism in the Republican Party, in my opnion, has been taken over by the alt-right, racists or at least people who are more on the extreme right side. My mother was a lifelong Republican since the Reagan days but she has become alienated from the party and is now a moderate Democrat...:P. My stepfather has always been a Democrat and is liberal-ish.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 6:15 pm

That's awesome. I'm a liberal and I have no problem with someone being a conservative (I'm even conservative an a couple/few issues). However, conservatism or at least conservatism in the Republican Party, in my opnion, has been taken over by the alt-right, racists or at least people who are more on the extreme right side. My mother was a lifelong Republican since the Reagan days but she has become alienated from the party and is now a moderate Democrat...:P. My stepfather has always been a Democrat and is liberal-ish.

Basically, that is Stormfront right there. They ban anyone who is anti-racist. Even though they act like monkeys out of a cage when they see a black man with a white woman, a lot of people there ironically have lust for Asian women.

Or here's this other guy named Andrew Anglin (guy from Daily Stormer) who acts exactly the same.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 6:18 pm

Basically, that is Stormfront right there. They ban anyone who is anti-racist. Even though they act like monkeys out of a cage when they see a black man with a white woman, a lot of people there ironically have lust for Asian women.

Or here's this other guy named Andrew Anglin (guy from Daily Stormer) who acts exactly the same.

Yeah, isn't it ironic? I just don't understand their thought process.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, isn't it ironic? I just don't understand their thought process.

Not to mention, has anyone ever heard of the "white genocide" theories? Stormfront, VNN, Daily Stormer, etc. They talk about it all the time, yet they still date and even make kids with Asian women. Look at Stormfront's comments about hapas (people with white and Asian biological parents) and it's so funny and ironic.

Aren't they race-mixing themselves? Miscegenation is what I thought they hated the most.

And a lot of hapas tend to hate each other too by what I have seen. They state about how superior AMWFs (asian male, white female) are to WMAFs (white male, asian female - the most common interracial couple type), and how all WMAF males will become exactly like Elliot Rodger (the 2014 Isla Vista Killer).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/08/17 at 6:35 pm

How much did you relate to the people in the Breakfast Club or Reality Bites?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 6:48 pm

Not to mention, has anyone ever heard of the "white genocide" theories? Stormfront, VNN, Daily Stormer, etc. They talk about it all the time, yet they still date and even make kids with Asian women. Look at Stormfront's comments about hapas (people with white and Asian biological parents) and it's so funny and ironic.

Aren't they race-mixing themselves? Miscegenation is what I thought they hated the most.

And a lot of hapas tend to hate each other too by what I have seen. They state about how superior AMWFs (asian male, white female) are to WMAFs (white male, asian female - the most common interracial couple type), and how all WMAF males will become exactly like Elliot Rodger (the 2014 Isla Vista Killer).

Yeah, it's really stupid and ironic. Maybe it's because they view Asians (really, East Asians) and Whites as "the superior races".

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/08/17 at 7:39 pm

'85ers do have some things in common with GenX, in that we remember the Cold War and the fall of the Berlin Wall, didn't have cell phones until high school and they were pre-flipphones, and grew up in a time when computers were a luxury and Internet, if you even had it, was very slow dial-up.
Yeah, I can see the HS C/O 2018 being considered the last of the Millennials; however, I truly doubt it since the only time I see 2000 as the cutoff is when the spans are either 1980-2000, or 1982-2000. I honestly have a feeling that Gen Y will end 1994/95, and not much later.

Aren't most Millennials (both groups) actually more libertarian? From videos I have watched, we are socially liberal, but fiscally conservative. Some media outlets seem to truly believe that we are those whiny crybaby SJW liberals they talk about, but that is totally false.

As for the events with the exception of the Cold War, most Millennials grew up the same way. Despite Windows '95 popularizing the internet, the service itself was under 20% at that time, so it was truly a luxury until 2001 where the rates were 50%. For computers, it seems that they were mainly for business or tech purposes, so I agree they were just as luxury for most Millennials. For cellphones, the flip version was not popular until the Razr was released around 2004; therefore, the younger Millennials do most likely recall those standard ones.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/172098969223-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Good point.  I think the Christian Right may be a product of the silent generation.  They were the ones that grew up with the supposed ideal family values in the post-war era.  They were children of the 1940s and were teens during the 1950s.  They were extremely uneasy with the social changes of the 1960s and since then, have been on a mission to try to return us to the culture they grew up in.  Plenty of baby boomers are on board with it, but the major figureheads of the Christian Right are/were silent generation members.
Yeah, I totally agree. Most Boomers (even some older ones) were truly too young to participate in most 1960s culture, so it's weird that they get blamed for destroying everything. It was really the Silents who did all of that along with the whole Civil Rights movement.

I'm not really sure.  I think the change will come whenever Generation Z is behind some kind of national movement to make a mark for themselves.  You didn't really start hearing about Millennials and how they were different from GenX until around 2008, when Millennials became known for electing Barack Obama as President and Mark Zuckerberg began getting a lot of attention for the success of Facebook.  The Baby Boomers had Woodstock.  GenX had grunge and hip-hop.  Millennials had Obama and social media.  Generation Z doesn't really have anything yet to define them.  When they do, the media will shift focus to them instead of "millennials" who are no longer really millennials.
Well they have a few events so far. Gen Z has been currently affected by the 2016 election, the rise of horrific attacks (school shootings, police brutality, and bombings), growing up post-recession and witnessing the first AA president.

A lot of people my age have become more conservative and don't want to be associated with the SJW-culture that defines the Millennial stereotype.

Actually, the SJWs are in a wide spectrum in all age groups; however they are a vocal minority regarding liberalism.

Ah nice! I'm a liberal as well, but I'm not associated with the SJW crowd. I actually wanted to be advocate for civil rights, but then the SJWs had to blow up and ruin everything.

Where did you find the surveys?

Yeah, they are definitely hypocrites for that. They are the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen.

When they are discussing Miscegenation, they're really talking about the BM-WW or the WM-BW mix only because to them, the Caucasians (especially the women) are pure and gorgeous, and the Africans are ugly monsters. ::) ::) The reality is that people have been mixing ethnic backgrounds with each other for ages, so I don't know why is that such a problem. Apparently, they need to do some research.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 8:06 pm

1. Actually, the SJWs are in a wide spectrum in all age groups; however they are a vocal minority regarding liberalism.

2.Ah nice! I'm a liberal as well, but I'm not associated with the SJW crowd. I actually wanted to be advocate for civil rights, but then the SJWs had to blow up and ruin everything.

3.Where did you find the surveys?

1. I know that SJWs are in all ages but young people make up the overwhelming majority of SJWs.
2. Same here
3. I addressed that earlier. It's from my "Web observations" :P.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 8:11 pm

Yeah, I can see the HS C/O 2018 being considered the last of the Millennials; however, I truly doubt it since the only time I see 2000 as the cutoff is when the spans are either 1980-2000, or 1982-2000. I honestly have a feeling that Gen Y will end 1994/95, and not much later.

Aren't most Millennials (both groups) actually more libertarian? From videos I have watched, we are socially liberal, but fiscally conservative. Some media outlets seem to truly believe that we are those whiny crybaby SJW liberals they talk about, but that is totally false.

As for the events with the exception of the Cold War, most Millennials grew up the same way. Despite Windows '95 popularizing the internet, the service itself was under 20% at that time, so it was truly a luxury until 2001 where the rates were 50%. For computers, it seems that they were mainly for business or tech purposes, so I agree they were just as luxury for most Millennials. For cellphones, the flip version was not popular until the Razr was released around 2004; therefore, the younger Millennials do most likely recall those standard ones.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/172098969223-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
Yeah, I totally agree. Most Boomers (even some older ones) were truly too young to participate in most 1960s culture, so it's weird that they get blamed for destroying everything. It was really the Silents who did all of that along with the whole Civil Rights movement.
Well they have a few events so far. Gen Z has been currently affected by the 2016 election, the rise of horrific attacks (school shootings, police brutality, and bombings), growing up post-recession and witnessing the first AA president.
Actually, the SJWs are in a wide spectrum in all age groups; however they are a vocal minority regarding liberalism.

Ah nice! I'm a liberal as well, but I'm not associated with the SJW crowd. I actually wanted to be advocate for civil rights, but then the SJWs had to blow up and ruin everything.
Where did you find the surveys?
Yeah, they are definitely hypocrites for that. They are the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen.
When they are discussing Miscegenation, they're really talking about the BM-WW or the WM-BW mix only because to them, the Caucasians (especially the women) are pure and gorgeous, and the Africans are ugly monsters. ::) ::) The reality is that people have been mixing ethnic backgrounds with each other for ages, so I don't know why is that such a problem. Apparently, they need to do some research.

Caucasians, you mean white/European/"Aryan" people (Jews are Caucasian, but they are their biggest enemy)?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/08/17 at 8:21 pm

Caucasians, you mean white/European/"Aryan" people (Jews are Caucasian, but they are their biggest enemy)?
Yeah.

1. I know that SJWs are in all ages but young people make up the overwhelming majority of SJWs.
2. Same here
3. I addressed that earlier. It's from my "Web observations" :P.
Young people may be the majority of SJWs, but overall SJWs are still in the minority.

Did you link the Web observations? I would like to see that survey.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 8:24 pm

Yeah.
Young people may be the majority of SJWs, but overall SJWs are still in the minority.

Did you link the Web observations? I would like to see that survey.

I never said that SJWs are the majority. I even said that SJWs don't even make up the majority of liberals.

Re-read my comment....I said from MY OWN Web observations (they aren't scientific...:D).

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 9:23 pm

I would say this stuff applies to Millennials as well.  80s-borns were the ones who experienced Columbine while still in school.  There were several other shootings around that same time.  There was quite a hysteria regarding school safety back then.  Millennials also elected Obama twice and most came of age during the recession or shortly afterwards (not a good time to be graduating college).

Gen Z doesn't have anything yet that really defines them to separate them from Millennials.  There has not yet been a Gen Z-centric movement that does not also include Millennials.  Something like a cultural movement or a political candidate that is a "Gen Z" candidate like Obama was for the Millennials.  Right now, the most I can think of that Gen Z has to define them are things like Buzzfeed and Ariana Grande.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 9:27 pm

I would say this stuff applies to Millennials as well.  80s-borns were the ones who experienced Columbine while still in school.  There were several other shootings around that same time.  There was quite a hysteria regarding school safety back then.  Millennials also elected Obama twice and most came of age during the recession or shortly afterwards (not a good time to be graduating college).

Gen Z doesn't have anything yet that really defines them to separate them from Millennials.  There has not yet been a Gen Z-centric movement that does not also include Millennials.  Something like a cultural movement or a political candidate that is a "Gen Z" candidate like Obama was for the Millennials.  Right now, the most I can think of that Gen Z has to define them are things like Buzzfeed and Ariana Grande.

So what would you classify me (born in 1999) as? Gen Y? Gen Z? Both?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 11:00 pm

It's mostly because they were gun-free zones (about 98% of mass shootings happened in gun free zones). I'm not advocating others to bring weapons to school or anything, but if most schools weren't gun free zones, these problems may have never happened. The "zero-tolerance" policies you see today had the 1994 Gun Free School Zone Act as its major backbone (making these policies become widespread). The great irony is that a lot of infamous school shooters tend to be democrats, yet it is democrats who instituted these policies. Here are some examples:

Charles Whitman - 1966 Texas Tower shooter - democrat
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold - both came from progressive liberal democrat families
Seung Hui-Cho - democrat
Adam Lanza - democrat

And they blame the NRA sometimes, yet they have absolutely no connection with these school shootings. In fact, the school shooter is politically more like the people who instituted the zero tolerance policies than your average NRA member.

But the one thing I really do not seem to get is how there has only been one big mass shooting (Cumbria) in Britain since Dunblane (the "British Columbine").

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 11:06 pm

So what would you classify me (born in 1999) as? Gen Y? Gen Z? Both?

I would say you are a cusper.  I would say anybody born from 1996 to 2000 is a Millennial/Gen Z cusper.  I woud say the same thing for people born between 1978 and 1982.  They are GenX/Millennial cuspers.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 11:09 pm

It's mostly because they were gun-free zones (about 98% of mass shootings happened in gun free zones). I'm not advocating others to bring weapons to school or anything, but if most schools weren't gun free zones, these problems may have never happened. The "zero-tolerance" policies you see today had the 1994 Gun Free School Zone Act as its major backbone (making these policies become widespread). The great irony is that a lot of infamous school shooters tend to be democrats, yet it is democrats who instituted these policies. Here are some examples:

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold - both came from progressive liberal democrat families
Seung Hui-Cho - democrat
Adam Lanza - democrat

You may have a point here but I am not sure.  The school shooting crisis of the late '90s, to me, seemed to arise out of the shock rock/goth culture that was popular at the time.  If anybody remembers, after Columbine there was a swift shift in teen culture away from the dark goth culture that dominated the mid/mid-late '90s and towards the "Abercrombie & Fitch" style that dominated the early 2000s.  Most of the '10s school shootings have been people coming in from the outside, which is very different from what happened at Columbine.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:12 pm

I would say you are a cusper.  I would say anybody born from 1996 to 2000 is a Millennial/Gen Z cusper.  I woud say the same thing for people born between 1978 and 1982.  They are GenX/Millennial cuspers.

Interesting. Personally, I lean more Gen Y than Gen Z but I have no problem being a Gen Y/Gen Z cusper.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:15 pm

But the one thing I really do not seem to get is how there has only been one big mass shooting (Cumbria) in Britain since Dunblane (the "British Columbine").

I won't address the other parts of your comment because I don't want to engage in a political debate. However, just one little nitpick....the Dunblane shooting in 1996 was the UK's Sandy Hook/Newtown not Columbine.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 11:19 pm

You may have a point here but I am not sure.  The school shooting crisis of the late '90s, to me, seemed to arise out of the shock rock/goth culture that was popular at the time.  If anybody remembers, after Columbine there was a swift shift in teen culture away from the dark goth culture that dominated the mid/mid-late '90s and towards the "Abercrombie & Fitch" style that dominated the early 2000s.  Most of the '10s school shootings have been people coming in from the outside, which is very different from what happened at Columbine.

Shock rock, goth, and industrial metal seemed to get a lot of controversy regarding schoolyard violence for sure.

Luke Woodham, the Pearl High School shooter, was a Marilyn Manson listener.
Kip Kinkel, the Thurston shooter, I think listened to Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, and Rage Against the Machine

And about my previous post, I was just expressing the irony of the politics regarding school shootings and how the guys who do it tend to be democrats yet it is also democrats who advocate zero-tolerance policies.

In fact, you may not believe this, but in my school you can still wear a trench coat without being asked to take it off.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 12:36 pm

I never said that SJWs are the majority. I even said that SJWs don't even make up the majority of liberals.

Re-read my comment....I said from MY OWN Web observations (they aren't scientific...:D).
Oh. For some reason I saw someone saying it and I thought it was you.

Oh. I see ;D ;D

Yeah, that's true, they were main ones who experienced Columbine while still in school; however, were also few 90s folks who were in school when the event happened. Thanks to that happening, I think that's what prompted all those school drills.

Yeah, Millennials did elect Obama; however, what I meant towards Gen Z is that he will be the first AA president they will recall within their lifetime. The Zeds don't truly remember a when a Caucasian was in office before Trump was elected.

And I thought most Millennials came of age before the recession, unless you're using the method where coming of age means graduating college.

Other things I think that will define Gen Z will be Web 2.0, the rise of smartphones and ISIS.

Seung Hui-Cho - democrat
Adam Lanza - democrat

And they blame the NRA sometimes, yet they have absolutely no connection with these school shootings. In fact, the school shooter is politically more like the people who instituted the zero tolerance policies than your average NRA member.

Actually you just reminded me. I saw some photos about that sometime ago, and they were somewhat chilling. In addition, not only were the shooters mainly Democrat, the shootings themselves also took place in blue states.

https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/681/424/original.jpg

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=237132,filename=FIFY.jpg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 12:58 pm

Yeah, Millennials did elect Obama; however, what I meant towards Gen Z is that he will be the first AA president they will recall within their lifetime. The Zeds don't truly remember a when a Caucasian was in office before Trump was elected.

And I thought most Millennials came of age before the recession, unless you're using the method where coming of age means graduating college.

Other things I think that will define Gen Z will be Web 2.0, the rise of smartphones and ISIS.

I definetly remember a Caucasian President before Trump (George W. Bush).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 1:00 pm

I definetly remember a Caucasian President before Trump (George W. Bush).
The older Zeds do, but most don't.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 1:02 pm

The older Zeds do, but most don't.

So I'm an "older Zed"?

Written By: 2001 on 04/09/17 at 1:02 pm

You guys get your political information from Facebook memes?  :o Even if it were true (which it isn't; Democratic states on average have lower murder rates than Republican ones), the logic is still broken. Giving those murderous Democrats more access to guns would've caused more Democrat murders, since apparently Democrats can't be trusted with guns.

https://rajsivaraman.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/screen-shot-2012-12-21-at-12-37-50-pm.png?w=766

(I wish you could add Canada to this map... my province's 1.1 per 100k murder rate would look pale white on this map! And our neighbours in Quebec with their 0.8 would probably be invisible.  :-X)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 1:04 pm

You guys get your political information from Facebook memes?  ;D Even if it were true (which it isn't; Democratic states on average have lower murder rates than Republican ones), the logic is still broken. Giving Democrats more access to guns would've caused more Democrat murderers.

https://rajsivaraman.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/screen-shot-2012-12-21-at-12-37-50-pm.png?w=766

I try to stay out of political debates but I have to agree with you, Slowpoke :-X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 1:09 pm

So I'm an "older Zed"?
Yeah. You are still Y/Z cusp; however, you're more likely going to be considered one of the older members of the next generation. With that said, the younger Zeds (Gen Z) are those who are 4/5 years younger than you.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 1:12 pm

Yeah. You are still Y/Z cusp; however, you're more likely going to be considered one of the older members of the next generation. With that said, the younger Zeds (Gen Z) are those who are 4/5 years younger than you.

OK, as long as people acknowledge the differences between those of us born in the late 1990s (1997-1999) versus those born in the mid 2000s (2003/2004-2006) on....then I'm fine.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 1:20 pm

OK, as long as people acknowledge the differences between those of us born in the late 1990s (1997-1999) versus those born in the mid 2000s (2003/2004-2006) on....then I'm fine.
Oh, I wish they did; however, some of the media don't seem to realize there are two waves of each generation, not just the Zeds. It's especially why I have seen some 80s folks wanting to part of the MTV cohort (Gen X) when they are actually all older Millennials.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 1:24 pm

Oh, I wish they did; however, some of the media don't seem to realize there are two waves of each generation, not just the Zeds. It's especially why I have seen some 80s folks wanting to part of the MTV cohort (Gen X) when they are actually all older Millennials.

Yeah, it's sucks because people think that because I was born in 1999 I had a similar childhood to someone born in 2003 versus someone born in 1995.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 1:47 pm

Yeah, it's sucks because people think that because I was born in 1999 I had a similar childhood to someone born in 2003 versus someone born in 1995.
I totally understand; however, you did have a somewhat similar childhood to both folks. For instance, with the 1995s, you both grew up on Silver Age Nick, the CN Powerhouse/City eras, recall a time before Obama, and a period before smartphones were widely popular. With the '03s, you both don't remember a time before the millennium, were children when social media rose, grew up with the noods CN era and the Bronze Nick.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 1:50 pm

I totally understand; however, you did have a somewhat similar childhood to both folks. For instance, with the 1995s, you both grew up on Silver Age Nick, the CN Powerhouse/City eras, recall a time before Obama, and a period before smartphones were widely popular. With the '03s, you both don't remember a time before the millennium, were children when social media rose, grew up with the noods CN era and the Bronze Nick.

The Noods era was when my viewership of CN dropped dramatically and I barely watched Nickeoldeon after 2007/2008. Also, even in your anaylsis I have more similarities with a person born in '95 over '03.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 1:53 pm

The Noods era was when my viewership of CN dropped dramatically and I barely watched Nickeoldeon after 2007/2008. Also, even in your anaylsis I have more similarities with a person born in '95 over '03.
Yeah. Honestly, it was difficult to find similarities between you and an '03 person.  ;D

There seems to be more differences than I thought.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 1:58 pm

Yeah. Honestly, it was difficult to find similarities between you and an '03 person.  ;D

There seems to be more differences than I thought.

Yeah and that's what I what people to acknowledge. It also helps that I can remember 2003 decently  :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 2:09 pm

Yeah and that's what I what people to acknowledge. It also helps that I can remember 2003 decently  :).
And it's the same thing with 1997 and '01 folks. They have more differences as well. For example, the former recalls Web 1.0, dial-up, Silver age Nick, CN powerhouse, VHS, and possibly 9/11 while the latter doesn't remember them at all.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 2:14 pm

And it's the same thing with 1997 and '01 folks. They have more differences as well. For example, the former recalls Web 1.0, dial-up, Silver age Nick, CN powerhouse, VHS, and possibly 9/11 while the latter doesn't remember them at all.

Yeah. I know a few people born in '01 and the difference between them and a person born in '97 is significant.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 2:24 pm

Yeah. I know a few people born in '01 and the difference between them and a person born in '97 is significant.
I know. I think I now see why some people say there are more differences them and another after 3/4 years. There's not much left in common.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/09/17 at 2:40 pm

I know. I think I now see why some people say there are more differences them and another after 3/4 years. There's not much left in common.

Being born in '85, I can relate pretty easily in terms of shared childhood experience to anybody born within the decade of the '80s, up to 1990.  Of course there are some differences.  Somebody born in '90 was prime age for Pokemania while I was pretty much at the max age for it when it was popular (and I wasn't into it).  Likewise, somebody born in '90 missed the prime of shows like Transformers and TMNT which I remember vividly.  However, there are several things we can relate on.  Video games is a big one since the target age for them is much broader than popular cartoons.  Also, consoles like the NES and Sega Genesis continued to be played long after their obsolescence.  What I can't relate to is '00s kid culture.  Most people born even in the late '80s had aged out of kid culture by the 2003ish.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 3:16 pm

Yep.

Being born in '85, I can relate pretty easily in terms of shared childhood experience to anybody born within the decade of the '80s, up to 1990.  Of course there are some differences.  Somebody born in '90 was prime age for Pokemania while I was pretty much at the max age for it when it was popular (and I wasn't into it).  Likewise, somebody born in '90 missed the prime of shows like Transformers and TMNT which I remember vividly.  However, there are several things we can relate on.  Video games is a big one since the target age for them is much broader than popular cartoons.  Also, consoles like the NES and Sega Genesis continued to be played long after their obsolescence.  What I can't relate to is '00s kid culture.  Most people born even in the late '80s had aged out of kid culture by the 2003ish.

Well, there are more differences between a person born in 1985 vs 1990. However, there's more similarities between a person born in '85 and '90 than between a person born in '99 and '04.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/17 at 9:38 pm

I'm in denial of the lame comments I sometimes make on this website without fact checking and without thinking them through enough.  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 10:38 pm

I feel the same way. I have some similarities with some 80s folks regarding SNES, Power Rangers, Bill Clinton, luxury internet, pre-millennium days, pre-9/11 days and when Sega was still a console manufacturer.

I honestly can't relate to 00s kid culture as much either aside from the first few years. I was already growing out of it by then. That's why I when I look back at the 00s, it was pretty much my adolescence.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 10:43 pm

I feel the same way. I have some similarities with some 80s folks regarding SNES, Power Rangers, Bill Clinton, luxury internet, pre-millennium days, pre-9/11 days and when Sega was still a console manufacturer.

I honestly can't relate to 00s kid culture as much either aside from the first few years. I was already growing out of it by then. That's why I when I look back at the 00s, it was pretty much my adolescence.

Interesting. Are you Canadian or American?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 10:52 pm

Interesting. Are you Canadian or American?
Same as you. The second option.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 10:56 pm

Same as you. The second option.

OK cool. You said that you have stuff in common with some 80s folk. Would you say that I have a few things in common with you?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 10:59 pm

OK cool. You said that you have stuff in common with some 80s folk. Would you say that I have a few things in common with you?
Yeah. They are Web 1.0, pre-Obama, Silver Age Nick, CN City, VHS, and pre-recession.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 11:01 pm

Yeah. They are Web 1.0, pre-Obama, Silver Age Nick, CN City, VHS, and pre-recession.

Ah I see. Most people born in 1993 would chide at me...;D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 11:30 pm

Ah I see. Most people born in 1993 would chide at me...;D.
Yeah, I could see that happening maybe because they believe the differences outweigh the similarities. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 11:32 pm

Yeah, I could see that happening maybe because they believe the differences outweigh the similarities.

True but of course there are differences between us. However, would you say I have more similarities with a person born in 2005 or 1993?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 11:44 pm

True but of course there are differences between us. However, would you say I have more similarities with a person born in 2005 or 1993?
the latter.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 11:47 pm

the latter.

OK. I also sometimes feel older than I actually am...I don't know why...:-\\.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 11:49 pm

OK. I also sometimes feel older than I actually am...I don't know why...:-\\.
How old do you feel?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 11:51 pm

How old do you feel?

I feel like I was born in the early 1990s (1990-1993) instead of 1999....so around your age. Maybe, it's because my mother was born in 1963 and my sister in 1983...:P.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/17 at 11:56 pm

I feel like I was born in the early 1990s (1990-1993) instead of 1999....so around your age. Maybe, it's because my mother was born in 1963 and my sister in 1983...:P.
I think I see why. You don't seem to relate to most people around your age (except those here)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 11:58 pm

I think I see why. You don't seem to relate to most people around your age (except those here)

Yeah. It's weird...obviously I know I'm still just (basically) 18 but....as time goes on I relate more to people older than me rather than younger.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:03 am

Yeah. It's weird...obviously I know I'm still just (basically) 18 but....as time goes on I relate more to people older than me rather than younger.
I'm feelin the same way. I relate more to people who are 30 than 20. ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 12:06 am

That's how I often feel as well. A lot of people my age (excluding other people my age on here, of course) are still too immature for my liking.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 12:11 am

I'm feelin the same way. I relate more to people who are 30 than 20. ;D

LOL, I guess we are both old farts...;D.

That's how I often feel as well. A lot of people my age (excluding other people my age on here, of course) are still too immature for my liking.

I'm sort of the same but immaturity among those in my grade is not really a problem.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:17 am

LOL, I guess we are both old farts...;D.I'm sort of the same but immaturity among those in my grade is not really a problem.
Well despite that you both are pretty much 18, it really seems like you're in your early 20s.

and LOL at the old fart joke ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 12:18 am

Well despite that you both are pretty much 18, it really seems like you're in your early 20s.

I already am 18. :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:23 am

I already am 18. :P
Right, but you don't seem like it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 12:26 am

SharksFan99 already turned 18 in March. I turn 18 in 3 months but I basically consider myself 18. I guess you can also say that great minds think alike...;).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:30 am

SharksFan99 already turned 18 in March. I turn 18 in 4 months but I basically consider myself 18. I guess you can also say that great minds think alike...;).
Oh. I know. It's just that once again, you two seem more in your early 20s than 18. Besides, you both are pretty much adults (although SharksFan already hit 18)

As for the great mind quote, one my teachers stated that it is BS because anyone can have great ideas. :D ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 12:33 am

Oh. I know. It's just that once again, you two seem more in your early 20s than 18. Besides, you both are pretty much adults (although SharksFan already hit 18)

As for the great mind quote, one my teachers stated that it is BS because anyone can have great ideas. :D ;D

BTW, I made a slight typo I turn 18 in 3 months not 4. LOL, I was born on the same day as the 1999 MLB All-Star Game....:P.

Also, I need to speak with your teacher...;)  ;D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:39 am

BTW, I made a slight typo I turn 18 in 3 months not 4. LOL, I was born on the same day as the 1999 MLB All-Star Game....:P.

Also, I need to speak with your teacher...;)  ;D.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 12:42 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tell your teacher....define "anyone"...::).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:49 am

Tell your teacher....define "anyone"...::).
I will ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 1:45 am

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I'm not sure if you felt the same way when you turned 18, but I feel so much older now compared to when I was 17. It's a strange feeling, because I don't feel any different to when I was 16 or 17, but it's the fact that I can now drink alcohol, get married if I wanted to or play on the pokies, that I feel so much older.

I turn 18 in 3 months but I basically consider myself 18.

Are you looking forward to turning 18?

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 2:12 am

Hmm that depends. It's heavily debated, but if you consider 2005 a Silver Age Nickelodeon year (I do) - since it was pre-Cyma, pre-endless Spongebob reruns, and nearly entirely pre-Viacom/CBS split except for New Year's Eve -, then an 01er could indeed possibly remember bits and pieces of the Silver Age from when he was 4.

2006 was the last throes for Web 1.0, dial-up, and VHS, so I think an 01er could indeed remember some of those things from when he was 5, albeit when they were at their tail-end of popularity.

CN's Powerhouse era lasted until late 2005 in Europe and Asia, so again I think a European or Asian 01er could remember it somewhat from when he was 4.

Can't refute 9/11 though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 3:18 am

Yes, I am. I will finally considered be an adult by law and while there's a lot of personal responsibility in being an adult....you just have to deal with the adversity/hardships. I'm also looking forward to college...:P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 3:21 am

Hmm that depends. It's heavily debated, but if you consider 2005 a Silver Age Nickelodeon year (I do) - since it was pre-Cyma, pre-endless Spongebob reruns, and nearly entirely pre-Viacom/CBS split except for New Year's Eve -, then an 01er could indeed possibly remember bits and pieces of the Silver Age from when he was 4.

2006 was the last throes for Web 1.0, dial-up, and VHS, so I think an 01er could indeed remember some of those things from when he was 5, albeit when they were at their tail-end of popularity.

CN's Powerhouse era lasted until late 2005 in Europe and Asia, so again I think a European or Asian 01er could remember it somewhat from when he was 4.

Well since all 3 of us are American (you, me & UltraGameDog), I highly believe that he's talking about Americans born in 1997 and 2001. Based on that....he would be very accurate in his assessment. A 1997 born would have more time experiencing those things he mentioned. Meanwhile, a 2001 born would either have barely experienced a lot of those things if at all.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:37 pm

I'm not sure if you felt the same way when you turned 18, but I feel so much older now compared to when I was 17. It's a strange feeling, because I don't feel any different to when I was 16 or 17, but it's the fact that I can now drink alcohol, get married if I wanted to or play on the pokies, that I feel so much older.
You're welcome.

Actually, I kinda felt that way a little before I hit 18. I wasn't doing all the usual adult things then, and I'm still not doing them today.

Yeah, I do. 2005 was definitely the last for SA Nick.

I'm talking about when they were common. All those things listed were not the standard after 2003/04.

Well, I'm just talking about here. The American CN PW ended in 2004, so there's no way that an '01 person could remember it.

Well since all 3 of us are American (you, me & UltraGameDog), I highly believe that he's talking about Americans born in 1997 and 2001. Based on that....he would be very accurate in his assessment. A 1997 born would have more time experiencing those things he mentioned. Meanwhile, a 2001 born would either have barely experienced a lot of those things if at all.
Yeah, pretty much. people within those years in other countries would not have the same experience as here.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 2:12 pm

I remember jaywalking the day I turned 18, and thought to myself "wow, I'm not a kid anymore, I could get in trouble for real if the police cared". :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 2:19 pm

I remember jaywalking the day I turned 18, and thought to myself "wow, I'm not a kid anymore, I could get in trouble for real if the police cared". :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Here in the USA, NO ONE cares about jaywalking not even the police.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/10/17 at 2:50 pm

Neither. Six years is too big to compare at this time.

I doubt that you'd have anything in common with people born in either of those years right now. However, as you get older, the differences lessen.

I'm a '99 myself and I don't really have any friends born in either years. I however had this one acquaintance born in 1993, but we rarely even talk and she no longer works at that store. I have not seen her in more than two years.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 2:53 pm

Getting back to the topic of generation denial.

Since Buzzfeed made that video that basically spelled out right in front of 2 million people that Millennials are NOT kids or teens today, I think more Average Joes in their 20s will realize they're Millennials, and start using the "Gen Z" term properly to refer to those under them. Your Average Joe eats up Buzzfeed like it's Easter candy, after all.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 2:55 pm

Since Buzzfeed made that video that basically spelled out right in front of 2 million people that Millennials are NOT kids or teens today, I think more Average Joes in their 20s will realize they're Millennials, and start using the "Gen Z" term properly to refer to those under them. Your Average Joe eats up Buzzfeed like it's Easter candy, after all.
There are some Zeds in their 20s, but most of them are younger Millennials.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/10/17 at 2:58 pm

Yeah...I see the ending of Generation Y as being the mid 90's (1994-1996), not really 2000 or 2001 like what other sources state. Certainly not 2004, that's for sure.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 3:04 pm

There are some Zeds in their 20s, but most of them are younger Millennials.

True but the definition Buzzfeed uses is 1981-1997.

Since those two million Average Joes probably just watched the video and didn't do any further research on the generations, it's probably ingrained into their minds that every Millennial is in his 20s/30s and no Zeds are in their 20s until next year.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 3:18 pm

True but the definition Buzzfeed uses is 1981-1997.

Since those two million Average Joes probably just watched the video and didn't do any further research on the generations, it's probably ingrained into their minds that every Millennial is in his 20s/30s and no Zeds are in their 20s until next year.
Well that's one source. The most I have seen is 1994/95, and 2000 with 1980-82 being used as the beginning.

Yeah...I see the ending of Generation Y as being the mid 90's (1994-1996), not really 2000 or 2001 like what other sources state. Certainly not 2004, that's for sure.
Yeah, I'm seeing it the same way. A few years ago, I was with 2000 being the cutoff for Millennials; however, due to the past several events, I don't think that will be the case anymore. Besides, I have also read articles that there's another generation after the Zeds (Z), and they are called Alpha. They are currently being born with the oldest at 6/7 years old, are also considered to be the Millennials' children.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 3:31 pm

Neither. Six years is too big to compare at this time.

I doubt that you'd have anything in common with people born in either of those years right now. However, as you get older, the differences lessen.

I'm a '99 myself and I don't really have any friends born in either years. I however had this one acquaintance born in 1993, but we rarely even talk and she no longer works at that store. I have not seen her in more than two years.

You're comparing me to yourself. How does that makes sense? I know there are obvious differences between me and a person born in '93. However, compared to a 2005 born....I have much more in common with a '93 born. I have practically nothing in commom with a '05 born.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/10/17 at 3:38 pm

Well that's one source. The most I have seen is 1994/95, and 2000 with 1980-82 being used as the beginning.
Yeah, I'm seeing it the same way. A few years ago, I was with 2000 being the cutoff for Millennials; however, due to the past several events, I don't think that will be the case anymore. Besides, I have also read articles that there's another generation after the Zeds (Z), and they are called Alpha. They are currently being born with the oldest at 6/7 years old, are also considered to be the Millennials' children.

They've been using mid 90's years as cutoffs for many years. Some very outdated ones use '89 as the cutoff year.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 3:53 pm

They've been using mid 90's years as cutoffs for many years. Some very outdated ones use '89 as the cutoff year.
Yeah, I've seen the '89 cutoff too, but the problem is that the span with that cutoff began around 1977/78 and would last 12 years which is not a length of a generation. Now the mid 90s one, I have seen that cutoff go back as far as 1999 (yes, that's not a typo) by seeing old articles pop up in my searching, and I remember seeing it in a textbook in 2008; however, I unfortunately don't remember the name though. In fact, there's actually a huge book on Millennials that was made in 2009, and here are two old columns about Millennials.

http://www.newsweek.com/now-its-time-generation-next-162866

http://adage.com/article/american-demographics/inside-gen-y/43704/

https://www.amazon.com/Millennials-Americans-Born-1977-1994/dp/1935114158

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/10/17 at 4:10 pm

Generation Alpha will start in the 2020s, when this current crisis is over.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 4:14 pm

Generation Alpha will start in the 2020s, when this current crisis is over.
I thought so too, but some current articles have explained that the Alpha cohort began in 2010 unless they used the Australian cutoff.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 5:27 am

Even Gen Z is doing generation denial if you look at the comments here.

IfYjGxI6AJ8

The comments on this video make me LOL... how is playing outside and bruising your knees exclusively a "Millennial or before" thing? How does not owning a smartphone somehow disqualify you from Gen Z? Plus all the people who think the Internet wasn't invented until the iPhone came out. Dumb 13 year olds.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/12/17 at 9:31 am

The comments on this video make me LOL... how is playing outside and bruising your knees exclusively a "Millennial or before" thing? How does not owning a smartphone somehow disqualify you from Gen Z? Plus all the people who think the Internet wasn't invented until the iPhone came out. Dumb 13 year olds.

I agree. I was reading through some of the comments a few minutes ago and one thing I noticed in particular is the amount of people born in 1999 and 2000 who are now claiming to be late Millennials. Admittedly, I don't read a lot of YouTube comments about generations too often (because most of them are stupid, quite frankly), but it wasn't too long ago when opinion was more divided as to whether people born in those particular years belong to the Millennials or Gen Z. I wonder why this is now the case?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 9:58 am

The reason for that is those are the characteristics that have been attributed to Gen Z and when they put the years of Gen Z as "1998-2010"...that makes it unfair for most people born 1998-2001/2002 because they didn't grow up with smartphones. If they also said that older members of Gen Z can remember life before smartphones and stuff....I think most people would have no problem.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/17 at 10:12 am

That's pretty much the same for me. As a 1987 baby, most of my closest friends from school/work/etc. were born between about 1984 and 1990 or so, and we all relate pretty well. We all feel that we generally grew up with the same stuff (i.e. Pogs/Golden Age Nick/SNES vs. Genesis/PS1 vs. N64/TMNT/MMPR/Goosebumps/etc.), and our conversations about our childhood's reflect this, even though there are obviously some differences, particularly when you're talking about 1984 vs. 1990 (like Pokemon, for example, which some of us got into growing up and some didn't). I also have a younger brother born in 1991 who I relate really well with as well, and for the most part we had pretty much the same childhood/adolescence.

On the whole, though, I feel like I can relate at least a little bit to folks born in the mid '90s, and even into the late '90s. For example, somebody born in 1997, even though they would be a decade younger than me, would still be able to remember '00s culture enough that I could relate to them as a teenager growing up during that time. The people I feel that I cant relate to at all are those kids too young to even remember the 2000s. Maybe, 2004 borns and later. After all, I am technically old enough to be their father, so they're obviously not in my "peer group" past that point.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 10:14 am

That's pretty much the same for me. As a 1987 baby, most of my closest friends from school/work/etc. were born between about 1984 and 1990 or so, and we all relate pretty well. We all feel that we generally grew up with the same stuff (i.e. Pogs/Golden Age Nick/SNES vs. Genesis/PS1 vs. N64/TMNT/MMPR/Goosebumps/etc.), and our conversations about our childhood's reflect this, even though there are obviously some differences, particularly when you're talking about 1984 vs. 1990 (like Pokemon, for example, which some of us got into growing up and some didn't). I also have a younger brother born in 1991 who I relate really well with as well, and for the most part we had pretty much the same childhood/adolescence.

On the whole, though, I feel like I can relate at least a little bit to folks born in the mid '90s, and even into the late '90s. For example, somebody born in 1997, even though they would be a decade younger than me, would still be able to remember '00s culture enough that I could relate to them as a teenager growing up during that time. The people I feel that I cant relate to at all are those kids too young to even remember the 2000s. Maybe, 2004 borns and later. After all, I am technically old enough to be their father, so they're obviously not in my "peer group" past that point.

Interesting paragraphs. I was born in '99 and I can somewhat relate to my stepbrother born in '90...so maybe I could relate to you a bit even though you're 12 years older than me...:P.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/17 at 10:27 am

Interesting paragraphs. I was born in '99 and I can somewhat relate to my stepbrother born in '90...so maybe I could relate to you a bit even though you're 12 years older than me...:P.

I would say that you probably could a little bit. An older guy that I knew in college was actually 12 years older than me. He was born in 1975. We weren't, like, really close friends or anything, but we talked occasionally, and we could relate on some things. He was in college in the mid '90s when I was first getting into pop culture, so some of the first bands I really listened to on the radio (like Collective Soul, Tonic, Oasis, Better than Ezra, etc.) were really popular when he was still young enough to be into current music. We were also both big fans of '90s Grunge like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. He was definitely close enough in age that he felt like an "older peer" to me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 10:32 am

I would say that you probably could a little bit. An older guy that I knew in college was actually 12 years older than me. He was born in 1975. We weren't, like, really close friends or anything, but we talked occasionally, and we could relate on some things. He was in college in the mid '90s when I was first getting into pop culture, so some of the first bands I really listened to on the radio (like Collective Soul, Tonic, Oasis, Better than Ezra, etc.) were really popular when he was still young enough to be into current music. We were also both big fans of '90s Grunge like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. He was definitely close enough in age that he felt like an "older peer" to me.

I'm a fan of grunge as well, so there's that. Until 2007, my family heavily used cassettes and VHS instead of DVDs and CDs. I remember the old white, blocky PCs and I used them a bit when I was young. I remember a time before smartphones...so those are the similarities I can think of.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/17 at 10:43 am

I'm a fan of grunge as well, so there's that. Until 2007, my family heavily used cassettes and VHS instead of DVDs and CDs. I remember the old white, blocky PCs and I used them a bit when I was young. I remember a time before smartphones...so those are the similarities I can think of.

I would also add that folks your age grew up with the PlayStation 2, and I consider that to be the last video game console of my youth (I was 13-18 when it was at it's peak), so there would be some crossover there. Many 1999ers can probably remember the last days of the pre-social media/dial-up/Web 1.0 era of the internet, which is obviously what we late '80s babies were first exposed to.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 10:48 am

I would also add that folks your age grew up with the PlayStation 2, and I consider that to be the last video game console of my youth (I was 13-18 when it was at it's peak), so there would be some crossover there. Many 1999ers can probably remember the last days of the pre-social media/dial-up/Web 1.0 era of the internet, which is obviously what we late '80s babies were first exposed to.

Oh wow, I didn't even think of the PS2 as being a similarity and yes, most '99ers can remember the last days of "pre-social media/dial-up/Web 1.0 era of the internet".

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 2:53 pm

I'm just laughing that Gen Z wants to be Millennials so bad even though Millennials are widely hated. Why would you want to be something that's widely hated?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/17 at 2:57 pm

The first 'year range' I saw for Generation Y/Millenials was when I read my city newspaper and they printed, 1981 to 1996.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 3:00 pm

Man, I must be the only 1999 baby in this site that used DVDs regularly since the mid 2000s. I used VHS tapes throughout my childhood, but it was on certain occasions. The last time I watched a movie on VHS was in 2010, which was Shrek (at my school).

I'm just laughing that Gen Z wants to be Millennials so bad even though Millennials are widely hated. Why would you want to be something that's widely hated?

Because at least Millennials grew up with decent technology. Gen Z kids are basically growing up in a generation where everything around them involves the Internet. If I wanted to pick a poison, it would definitely be the Millennial side.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:02 pm

Man, I must be the only 1999 baby in this site that used DVDs regularly since the mid 2000s. I used VHS tapes throughout my childhood, but it was on certain occasions. The last time I watched a movie on VHS was in 2010, which was Shrek (at my school).

You really must be....your family must be more adaptive to tech and have some money.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 3:12 pm

You really must be....your family must be more adaptive to tech and have some money.

I wouldn't say that my family is the most technologically adaptive, since we still have CRT TVs in our house. But aside from that, I'm quite surprised people my age regularly used VHS tapes until the late 2000s. It's like you guys never gotten to DVDs until you were about 7 or 8. Were your parents a bit poor?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:14 pm

I wouldn't say that my family is the most technologically adaptive, since we still have CRT TVs in our house. But aside from that, I'm quite surprised people my age regularly used VHS tapes until the late 2000s. It's like you guys never gotten to DVDs until you were about 7 or 8. Were your parents a bit poor?

Not poor. We had DVDs and CDs but using VHS and cassettes was still common in our household until abut 2007. What's wrong with that fam?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 3:18 pm

Not poor. We had DVDs and CDs but using VHS and cassettes was still common in our household until abut 2007. What's wrong with that fam?

We didn't really forget about VHS tapes. We just have DVDs as a standard by the time I was about 4 or 5. We had a collection of VHS tapes, but then my dad threw most of them out in early 2009.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:19 pm

We didn't really forget about VHS tapes. We just DVDs as a standard by the time I was about 4 or 5. We had a collection of VHS tapes, but then my dad threw most of them out in early 2009.

And there's nothing wrong with that :).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/12/17 at 7:18 pm

I still used VHS on a regular basis until January 2010. One of my favourite hobbies back in 2009 was to record TV content (such as idents, lineups etc.) onto VHS tapes, which was something that I did almost daily. I still record TV content, but definitely not onto VHS. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 7:24 pm

So to SharksFan99, Tyrannosaurus Rex and TheReignMan99, how did you get your movies on VHS? Did your parents have a massive collection?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 7:26 pm

So to SharksFan99, Tyrannosaurus Rex and TheReignMan99, how did you get your movies on VHS? Did your parents have a massive collection?

Yes, we used to have a big VHS collection. Most of it was thrown out (or all of it...I haven't seen any VHS tapes lying around, lol).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 7:29 pm

Yes, we used to have a big VHS collection. Most of it was thrown out (or all of it...I haven't seen any VHS tapes lying around, lol).

Same with me. I really miss my VHS collection, even though it's been long gone for eight years now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 7:32 pm

Same with me. I really miss my VHS collection, even though it's been long gone for eight years now.

RIP VHS :\'(.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/12/17 at 7:35 pm

My parents either bought VHS movies from shops such as K-mart or they rented them overnight from video rental stores. Their collections were fairly big and I had my own VHS collection as well, because I used to watch a lot of kids movies and TV shows on VHS. My Mum got rid of her VHS movies and TV shows several years ago now, but my Dad still owns his VHS collection.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 7:56 pm

Recording stuff on VHS.

Like if a movie that I like happened to be on TV, my mom would record it on VHS.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 8:06 pm

Recording stuff on VHS.

Like if a movie that I like happened to be on TV, my mom would record it on VHS.

So, she would pretty much record it from a TV broadcast? I really hope you had HBO or ShowTime back then because those commercials are a pain in the ass during movie airings.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/13/17 at 8:41 pm

So, she would pretty much record it from a TV broadcast? I really hope you had HBO or ShowTime back then because those commercials are a pain in the ass during movie airings.

My family never had HBO or Showtime.

We had cable-less TV until around the time I was eight. Plus until age twelve, I used giant box television sets.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/17 at 8:50 pm

My family never had HBO or Showtime.

We had cable-less TV until around the time I was eight. Plus until age twelve, I used giant box television sets.

Wow. Then did she skip over the commercials to save time?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/13/17 at 8:56 pm

Wow. Then did she skip over the commercials to save time?

Yes. However, when she recorded Journey to the Edge of the Universe, she didn't.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/15/17 at 12:04 am

True but again, I'm undecided about blaming any generation for "destroying everything".

There are scumbags in the Silent Generation who did indeed destroy things (looking at you Dick Cheney. And the Boomers + Silents who voted for the pointless Iraq War and indirectly killed thousands of their Gen X/Millennial children, f*ck them too), but there are also Silents who are fighting tooth and nail for the good of the people, such as Bernie Sanders (I'll admit that the bandwagon surrounding him was a little obnoxious. But the reason he appealed to so many people is because he's the only politician in the past few decades who seemingly cares about the American people, and not fattening his wallet and the size of his offshore oil rigs).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 2:01 pm

True but again, I'm undecided about blaming any generation for "destroying everything".

There are scumbags in the Silent Generation who did indeed destroy things (looking at you Dick Cheney. And the Boomers + Silents who voted for the pointless Iraq War and indirectly killed thousands of their Gen X/Millennial children, f*ck them too), but there are also Silents who are fighting tooth and nail for the good of the people, such as Bernie Sanders (I'll admit that the bandwagon surrounding him was a little obnoxious. But the reason he appealed to so many people is because he's the only politician in the past few decades who seemingly cares about the American people, and not fattening his wallet and the size of his offshore oil rigs).
Agreed. Yeah, every generation has good and bad apples, but the latter will always be in the minority though. It's just that I was tired of hearing that they burned down everything like they're evil villains. Most of them are actually great especially since some of them were my teachers, principals, and other occupations.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/17/17 at 2:51 pm

To be fair, when Reddit and other sites say the boomers ruined everything, they at least clarify they don't mean boomers *individually*, but rather *as a whole*.

For instance Millennials - and everyone in general - on social media were very sad when David Bowie died, regardless of him being a boomer.

My mom and dad hate boomers too but again, *as a whole*, NOT individually, considering many of their friends are boomers.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 3:35 pm

Hey, I was looking at this piece circling around an old millennial, and I found some comments that were fascinating.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/04/two-types-of-millennials.html

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/27/17 at 8:40 am

Hey, I was looking at this piece circling around an old millennial, and I found some comments that were fascinating.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/04/two-types-of-millennials.html

I agree with the overall point he's trying to make. As an '80s born Millennial, I do feel different from the younger members of the generation in some ways.

The mistake he makes though is yet again having a completely arbitrary cut-off date between Older Millennials and Younger Millennials. There is NO noticable difference between kids born in 1989 and those born in 1988 or 1987 for that matter. To pretend that folks born in 1989 had some completely different life experience that could make them a Young Millennial, compared to everybody else born in the late '80s who are Old Millennials, is just absurd. ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 9:23 pm

I agree with the overall point he's trying to make. As an '80s born Millennial, I do feel different from the younger members of the generation in some ways.

The mistake he makes though is yet again having a completely arbitrary cut-off date between Older Millennials and Younger Millennials. There is NO noticable difference between kids born in 1989 and those born in 1988 or 1987 for that matter. To pretend that folks born in 1989 had some completely different life experience that could make them a Young Millennial, compared to everybody else born in the late '80s who are Old Millennials, is just absurd. ::)
I don't blame you at all. As of now, the older millennials are mainly in their 30s while the younger ones are in their 20s.

As for your 2nd statement, yeah, I agree that it makes no sense. If the generation were to end at 1994 (Which I can see happening due to research), then the younger Millennials would start with folks in your age range.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/28/17 at 10:05 pm

I don't blame you at all. As of now, the older millennials are mainly in their 30s while the younger ones are in their 20s.

As for your 2nd statement, yeah, I agree that it makes no sense. If the generation were to end at 1994 (Which I can see happening due to research), then the younger Millennials would start with folks in your age range.

Strauss and Howe ends it at 2004

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 10:07 pm

Strauss and Howe ends it at 2004
They're the only ones who do that with some others referring them in their research. While their work is good, I don't think 2004 will be the end.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/28/17 at 10:23 pm

They're the only ones who do that with some others referring them in their research. While their work is good, I don't think 2004 will be the end.

My objection to Strauss and Howe is that being in a generation automatically makes you have a certain personality or outlook. I think in a generation we all react to the same events but 2 people can react to the same event in completely opposite ways.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 10:28 pm

My objection to Strauss and Howe is that being in a generation automatically makes you have a certain personality or outlook. I think in a generation we all react to the same events but 2 people can react to the same event in completely opposite ways.
Very true! In fact, I have been reading about generations for sometime, and there's a great article about the concept behind them. You should check it out.

http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/marcuse/classes/201/articles/85JaegerGenInHistHISTTHEO.pdf

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/29/17 at 12:18 pm

I think some of the "generation denial" stems from being told you're a certain generation your whole life, then later on being told you're a different one. But this all depends on what was going on when you were growing up, and what particular definition you were exposed to.

For some people born in 1982, they think of themselves as Millennials because they watched 60 Minutes and ABC World News Tonight reports in the late 90s about their special graduating class, christened the "Millennials" or the first class of the new millennium. Who allegedly represented a shift from the rough and tough Gen X classes, with their good grades, low drug usage, kind behavior, and can-do attitude.

But for other people born in 1982, who never watched 60 Minutes or ABC growing up and thus never knew of the "Millennial hype", they think of themselves as Gen X, because their parents called them Gen X. Of course, these parents probably heard the term in a soda commercial or something, and had just assumed it applied to anyone who was young at the time. But the parents can be forgiven, because they're only passingly aware of this generational stuff that us nerds care too much about. ;D

And since there's a clusterf*ck of many different definitions for the rising Gen Z, Gen Z has generational denial too. When Buzzfeed made their recent video defining Gen Z as 1998-2010, a lot of folks born in 1998-2000 were confused, because they had probably heard the "Millennials were born between 1980 and 2000" definition parroted their whole life (that definition is semi-common, and it annoys me because it's just so base and simplistic). Heck, there were even some 98-00ers in the comments who said "Dad can't criticize me for being a Millennial anymore", lol.

Written By: 2001 on 04/29/17 at 12:33 pm

I think it's more simple than that... People want to look older than they aren't, and don't want to be associated with their younger peers.

I get peeved when people start Generation Z at 1990 or 1993, but deep down I know it's true. We're the generation that doesn't remember life before Internet.  :-X and that's more important than me catching the golden age of the Disney Channel and them only caching the silver age or whatever ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 12:40 pm

I think it's more simple than that... People want to look older than they aren't, and don't want to be associated with their younger peers.

I get peeved when people start Generation Z at 1990 or 1993, but deep down I know it's true. We're the generation that doesn't remember life before Internet.  :-X and that's more important than me catching the golden age of the Disney Channel and them only caching the silver age or whatever ;D

You know...you're right. People like to use things like "If you can't remember life before the Internet" or "If you can't remember 9/11", etc then you suck or you're not a member of our generation. Well, so be it.....you guys (the people who say those things) are a-holes anyways.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 5:28 pm

I think some of the "generation denial" stems from being told you're a certain generation your whole life, then later on being told you're a different one. But this all depends on what was going on when you were growing up, and what particular definition you were exposed to.

For some people born in 1982, they think of themselves as Millennials because they watched 60 Minutes and ABC World News Tonight reports in the late 90s about their special graduating class, christened the "Millennials" or the first class of the new millennium. Who allegedly represented a shift from the rough and tough Gen X classes, with their good grades, low drug usage, kind behavior, and can-do attitude.

But for other people born in 1982, who never watched 60 Minutes or ABC growing up and thus never knew of the "Millennial hype", they think of themselves as Gen X, because their parents called them Gen X. Of course, these parents probably heard the term in a soda commercial or something, and had just assumed it applied to anyone who was young at the time. But the parents can be forgiven, because they're only passingly aware of this generational stuff that us nerds care too much about. ;D

And since there's a clusterf*ck of many different definitions for the rising Gen Z, Gen Z has generational denial too. When Buzzfeed made their recent video defining Gen Z as 1998-2010, a lot of folks born in 1998-2000 were confused, because they had probably heard the "Millennials were born between 1980 and 2000" definition parroted their whole life (that definition is semi-common, and it annoys me because it's just so base and simplistic). Heck, there were even some 98-00ers in the comments who said "Dad can't criticize me for being a Millennial anymore", lol.

You know...you're right. People like to use things like "If you can't remember life before the Internet" or "If you can't remember 9/11", etc then you suck or you're not a member of our generation. Well, so be it.....you guys (the people who say those things) are a-holes anyways.
Yeah, there's always going to be generation denial; however, those people need to accept the generation they are associated with. Yeah, most people obviously don't fit the stereotypes, but just because it doesn't define them doesn't mean they are part of another cohort. It's their character that defines them.

Oh, and there's more to generations than just traits they possess. There's also events, demographics and other misc to factor in as well. I have seen the popularity of the internet being used a cutoff; however the problem is, are folks talking about when it rose to 50%, or when it rose thanks to Windows '95? That one never seems to be disputed.

As for 9/11, that one seems to be the most used since it was an event that shaped Millennials regardless of what level of school they were in; however, that occurring is pretty much limited to here, and other western countries.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/01/17 at 11:27 pm

I found another article about generation denial even though it's a few years old. I definitely agree with the author that Millennials need to stop bashing each other.

http://www.articlecats.com/index.php/millennials-need-stop-bashing-millennials/

Oh, and I'm absolutely in agreement with the quotes as well.

There’s been an article going around about how Millennials born in the 80s are different from those born in the 90s. Sure, there are going to be differences, but Anna Garvey’s Why ’80s Babies Are Different Than Other Millennials follows a recent trend of older Millennials throwing younger Millennials under the bus for being corrupted by social media and a lack of attention.

What does the article use to accomplish this? Our familiarity with certain cultural mores like Oregon Trail, Third Eye Blind, and Napster.
The Millennial generation isn’t defined through the access to technology we’ve had any more than any other generation is. We’re defined by the political climate into which we’ve entered adulthood and the role we see ourselves playing in the world. Those attributes have remained largely consistent whether you were born in 1983 or 1995.

Is it more important we played Oregon Trail or is it more important those born in the 80s and 90s both share a special relationship to 9/11 and how it’s reshaped our culture? Is it more important we listened to Third Eye Blind, or we’re the first generation to enter adulthood free of the Cold War and under the War on Terrorism? Is it more important we used dial-up, or more important both 80s and 90s children encounter the same awful, part-time, service-based economy when we search for our first jobs?

Whatever tech gaps there are in the kind of video games we play, that hardly defines us. Being parented a certain way (that’s now harshly criticized for making us too “sensitive”) defines us. Being raised to see our role in a specific relation to a declining natural world defines us. Video games and social media are incidental and we don’t do ourselves any favors when we use those things to create our self-definitions. I don’t think anyone takes us seriously when we say, “Well, we could be defined by how we relate to a crucial era in history, but instead we’re going to define ourselves by our dependency on AOL.”

Generational gaps are intentionally broad brushes that don’t stay inside the lines. We’re Millennials, and I’m sick of watching us bash ourselves or separate ourselves, rather than embracing the tag and redefining it. We read more and seek out news from more sources, we give to charity more, we’re less materialistic, we prioritize social and environmental awareness more highly than other generations and we trust the political process less; that makes me closer to someone born 10 years later than using Hotmail when they use Gmail or remembering the mess that was MySpace when their first social network was Facebook.

Articles like Garvey’s play into the media narrative that Millennials should be dissatisfied with ourselves because of the economy and the world we stepped into. Sorry, but our generation’s average age when we invaded Iraq was 13 and our average age during the housing bubble collapse was 17. These articles play into Millennial-bashing by separating ourselves out and pretending we’re not part of a generation that is actually pretty amazing. They play to media narratives created by the Baby Boomers who wasted their chance and left us a broken system.

It’s a way for older Millennials to disown their participation in a generation rather than retake it. It’s the lazy way out, and it throws younger Millennials under the bus the same way the Boomers do, so we can throw our hands in the air and disregard the responsibilities we have to fix everything prior generations ruined.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/02/17 at 5:20 pm

Lol. This CNN fake news special snowflake thinks people born in 1998+ should be "the real Millennials" because he's insecure about being a Millennial.

http://i.imgur.com/kUDkPn1.png

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 5:21 pm

Lol. This CNN fake news special snowflake thinks people born in 1998+ should be "the real Millennials" because he's insecure about being a Millennial.

I honestly don't care ::).

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/02/17 at 5:23 pm

I want to see what UltraDog thinks.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/02/17 at 5:52 pm

lol Silly 1983'ers trying to claim the glory despite being born a year too late. Laughing so much it's making me piss my pants. ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/02/17 at 5:53 pm

And he's wrong! He needs to understand that being a Millennial has almost nothing to do with technology. It has to do with events, demographics and other misc. Yes, technology is a factor, but it's honestly a minor one.

Oh, and he most likely doesn't know that the term comes from the fact he grew up either in, or around the new Millennium considering he was a young person at that time.

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/17 at 6:41 pm

But where is the lie?

http://i.imgur.com/Ibs32OG.gif

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/03/17 at 5:44 pm

I say Old and Young Millennial are the prefect designations instead of the whole earl/core/late grouping.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/millennial-divide-generation-split-old-young-financial-crash-internet-smartphones-a7704021.html

Check for new replies or respond here...