inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which had a bigger change in the world? Fall of Berlin Wall or 9/11?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 10:21 am

Fall of Berlin Wall (1989): Fall of communism in Eastern Europe, allowed capitalism to become the primary method of government, "end of the Cold War in the American public"

http://www.historytoday.com/sites/default/files/berlinwall_0.jpg

9/11 (2001): Start of War on Terror, escalated surveillance issues, dramatic changes in the immigration policies (Homeland Security Act, Enhanced Border Security and Visa Reform Act).

http://www.factslides.com/imgs/911-planes.jpg

I don't really know how to make a poll on here, so please post what you think.

Subject: Re: Which had a bigger change in the world? Fall of Berlin Wall or 9/11?

Written By: #Infinity on 04/08/17 at 11:59 am

I would probably say the fall of the Berlin Wall because the age of surveillance was pretty much inevitable with the rise of the Internet, which was still pretty young at the time 9/11 happened. The collapse of the Soviet Union forced entire countries to overhaul their institutional systems and was actually the point when the West shifted its international focus on combating Communism to fighting religious extremists and tyrannical governments (i.e., the Gulf War).

Subject: Re: Which had a bigger change in the world? Fall of Berlin Wall or 9/11?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/08/17 at 4:23 pm

With what Infinity said, I suppose the fall of the Berlin Wall probably did a number for the world. For instance, America finally stopped focusing on communism during the early 90s by the time the Soviet Union collapsed. The Gulf War was pretty much the first non-Communist war that the U.S. was involved in since the Soviets' collapse.

Check for new replies or respond here...