inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crunk/Snap Rap VS Trap Rap

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:12 am

Alright everyone. This is probably going to be a difficult choice since both sub-genres are similarly awful. For me, I'm going with the former because at least some of the songs made sense and people were actually able to dance and get down with others. The latter, OMG most of them don't make any sense.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, and there's way too much autotune in some of them.

I have heard most of the rappers associated with that sub-genre and and sometimes wonder what are they saying? Prime examples are these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsJLLEwUYZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhmGfZ1SeuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzz4Z-O7710

Subject: Re: Crunk/Snap Rap VS Trap Rap

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 12:28 am

I will take crunk and snap rap ANY DAY over trap rap. Trap rap is mostly garbage to me but hey...opinions everyone has them.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 12:52 am

I thought crunk was different from snap rap. The difference being that crunk seems to actually have fans, from what I've seen, while snap rap has nobody that enjoys it as anything but a guilty pleasure.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/10/17 at 1:08 am

Crunk >>> Snap = Trap

I absolutely despised snap music back in the day and almost solely blame it for turning me away from the mainstream pop charts. The electropop revolution of the early 2010s felt like a godsend after all those years of trash, but sadly, crass, monotonous, uninspired, annoying, flat rap has since made a full-on comeback, just under a different brand.

"Panda" is one of the worst songs I've heard in several years. It's absolutely criminal that its average rating on Rate Your Music is 2.86/5, yet classic songs from the Y2K era have ratings almost an entire point below that just because they're considered teen pop.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/17 at 3:54 am

Panda and White Iversion are definitely the annoying type of trap (rap) music I'm getting tired of. "679" sounds better but still not that good. I'll admit I enjoyed trap music the first few years it was around (2011-2014) but now it's gotten a lot worse ever since Young Thug started in late 2013/early 2014 and rappers got influenced by him to just mumble throughout their hip-hop instead of pronouncing good lyrics clearly. Listen to songs like Hookah - Tyga or Timmy Turner - Desiigner and you'll hear what I'm talking about. I enjoyed some of the earlier trap rap music from artists like Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane, and Young Jeezy.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 1:08 pm

I thought crunk was different from snap rap. The difference being that crunk seems to actually have fans, from what I've seen, while snap rap has nobody that enjoys it as anything but a guilty pleasure.
Well there doesn't seem to be any difference. At least Crunk and a few snap tracks are much better than Trap ANYTIME! In fact, I have listened to crunk sometime ago, and it's definitely much preferable than the sub-genre of today. I've heard too many trap songs and they are generally awful. 

Crunk >>> Snap = Trap

I absolutely despised snap music back in the day and almost solely blame it for turning me away from the mainstream pop charts. The electropop revolution of the early 2010s felt like a godsend after all those years of trash, but sadly, crass, monotonous, uninspired, annoying, flat rap has since made a full-on comeback, just under a different brand.

"Panda" is one of the worst songs I've heard in several years. It's absolutely criminal that its average rating on Rate Your Music is 2.86/5, yet classic songs from the Y2K era have ratings almost an entire point below that just because they're considered teen pop.
I feel you. At least the 2000s had amazing non-snap rap songs, but yeah the majority was full of that sub-genre.

And that sucks. I would like to say that I actually enjoyed the teen pop songs (and other genres from that era), and they were clearly much better than the terrible Trap today.

Panda and White Iversion are definitely the annoying type of trap (rap) music I'm getting tired of. "679" sounds better but still not that good. I'll admit I enjoyed trap music the first few years it was around (2011-2014) but now it's gotten a lot worse ever since Young Thug started in late 2013/early 2014 and rappers got influenced by him to just mumble throughout their hip-hop instead of pronouncing good lyrics clearly. Listen to songs like Hookah - Tyga or Timmy Turner - Desiigner and you'll hear what I'm talking about. I enjoyed some of the earlier trap rap music from artists like Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane, and Young Jeezy.
I have heard of Timmy Turner - Desiigner and he was definitely mumbling. In addition, I thought it was Future because he does the same thing. They really sound the same.

Oh, and would you count these songs as Trap rap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdyVUQkvUnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0T05xI_AJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpaRu7ZcJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbO1m2T11os

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/17 at 2:34 pm

UltramGameDog: Yes I would. A couple seems like a hybrid between the good hip hop and trap but it's still some of the earlier trap rap songs, and that's when trap was REALLY good especially "Same Damn Time - Future" and "No Hands - Waka Flocka Flame". At the Same Damn Time is an example of a trap song that actually had some meaning in its lyrics and it wasn't all mumbling the whole time, yes you still had the southern rap accent but you could still get into it really good. When Young Thug came in 2013 that was the beginning of the end for trap rap IMO.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/17 at 2:38 pm

This is not really trap rap, it's a legit hip hop song but there's no doubt this was LIT AF last year.

yvHYWD29ZNY

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 2:48 pm

UltramGameDog: Yes I would. A couple seems like a hybrid between the good hip hop and trap but it's still some of the earlier trap rap songs, and that's when trap was REALLY good especially "Same Damn Time - Future" and "No Hands - Waka Flocka Flame". At the Same Damn Time is an example of a trap song that actually had some meaning in its lyrics and it wasn't all mumbling the whole time, yes you still had the southern rap accent but you could still get into it really good. When Young Thug came in 2013 that was the beginning of the end for trap rap IMO.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have listened to all those songs I posted and while they are early trap rap, some of them are awful AF ;D.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/17 at 2:59 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have listened to all those songs I posted and while they are early trap rap, some of them are awful AF ;D.

Admit it though, who didn't like "At The Same Damn Time"? That kept getting stuck in your head for at least 2 years. People kept reciting that music everywhere they went!

Believe it or not, Katy Perry - Dark Horse and Ariana Grande - Problem are great examples of a trap songs that weren't 100% hip hop or non-hip hop, but still had some rap in it though. Ever since the trap genre got popular the early 2010's more artists like Katy Perry, Iggy Azalea, Ariana Grande, and some more non-hip hop artists started including trap in there songs.

https://hollywoodsubliminals.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/katy-perry-dark-horse-2013-single-cover-project-monarch-1.jpg?w=890&h=800
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c8/a3/e7/c8a3e730ac25201f26daf7d9a5da3a8a.png

So whether people like these songs or not, trap definitely has more variety than crunk or snap did.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 3:11 pm

Admit it though, who didn't like "At The Same Damn Time"? That kept getting stuck in your head for at least 2 years. People kept reciting that music everywhere they went!

Believe it or not, Katy Perry - Dark Horse and Ariana Grande - Problem are great examples of a trap songs that weren't 100% hip hop or non-hip hop, but still had some rap in it though. Ever since the trap genre got popular the early 2010's more artists like Katy Perry, Iggy Azalea, Ariana Grande, and some more non-hip hop artists started including trap in there songs.

https://hollywoodsubliminals.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/katy-perry-dark-horse-2013-single-cover-project-monarch-1.jpg?w=890&h=800
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c8/a3/e7/c8a3e730ac25201f26daf7d9a5da3a8a.png

So whether people like these songs or not, trap definitely has more variety than crunk or snap did.
Yeah, when I had played certain stations on Pandora, this song would come on and it was absolutely stuck in my head for sometime. However, it's not there anymore since I haven't heard the song in 3 years.

Actually now that I think about it, those songs did have some trap beats, and they were all overplayed a few years ago. I guess it did have a huge influence. Luckily though, most artists stayed away from that style and did their own.

Oh for my question, do you prefer Crunk/Snap Rap or Trap Rap?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/10/17 at 3:12 pm

I dislike both genres.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 3:18 pm

Trap rap is trash literally....:-X :-X :-X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 12:09 pm

I dislike both genres.
Both are definitely awful in some say, but I would take Crunk over trap anyday.

Trap rap is trash literally....:-X :-X :-X.
I feel you. I really don't know why I keep listening to this subgenre. The are only very few songs I like.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/11/17 at 12:12 pm

Oh for my question, do you prefer Crunk/Snap Rap or Trap Rap?

trap genre (all songs since 2011) >>> crunk/snap rap (mid-late 00's) >>> trap rap (hip-hop only since 2013 or Young Thug)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 12:25 pm

trap genre (all songs since 2011) >>> crunk/snap rap (mid-late 00's) >>> trap rap (hip-hop only since 2013 or Young Thug)
So you only like the early trap rap? That reminds me, do you think Kreayshawn was trap rap before she fell off the map?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 12:46 pm

Both are definitely awful in some say, but I would take Crunk over trap anyday.

I feel you. I really don't know why I keep listening to this subgenre. The are only very few songs I like.

Most definitely.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/11/17 at 1:20 pm

So you only like the early trap rap? That reminds me, do you think Kreayshawn was trap rap before she fell off the map?

I liked most trap rap songs from 2011-2013. When Young Thug came out in late 2013 that's when the trend started with trap rap songs having mostly mumbling in there and hardly any good lyrics, and I know there were bad trap rap music from 2011-2012 too but since trap originated here in Atlanta a lot of the hip-hop artists have the southern rap accent in their music and you could still understand the meaning. Some of the trap rap songs just got you turnt up at parties and you were still having fun with them, and like I said previously NOT ALL trap songs are hip-hop. There's trap included in other genres of music too, which is why I think the trap genre as a whole (not just hip-hop) is better than snap/crunk rap at the time, however, most of the trap rap music (hip-hop) since 2014 or so have been the worst. Thankfully we still have good hip hop artists like Drake, Kendrick Lamar, or the Weeknd who put out legit hip-hop music and not just trap rap all the time.

Good trap music.

RYpaRu7ZcJk HMUDVMiITOU

Moderate trap music. (okay; kinda iffy; good or bad based off opinions)

rzc3_b_KnHc i_kF4zLNKio

Bad trap music.

ProbPpO_8oo KT7W9oJP6BI

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 4:16 pm

I liked most trap rap songs from 2011-2013. When Young Thug came out in late 2013 that's when the trend started with trap rap songs having mostly mumbling in there and hardly any good lyrics, and I know there were bad trap rap music from 2011-2012 too but since trap originated here in Atlanta a lot of the hip-hop artists have the southern rap accent in their music and you could still understand the meaning. Some of the trap rap songs just got you turnt up at parties and you were still having fun with them, and like I said previously NOT ALL trap songs are hip-hop. There's trap included in other genres of music too, which is why I think the trap genre as a whole (not just hip-hop) is better than snap/crunk rap at the time, however, most of the trap rap music (hip-hop) since 2014 or so have been the worst. Thankfully we still have good hip hop artists like Drake, Kendrick Lamar, or the Weeknd who put out legit hip-hop music and not just trap rap all the time.

Good trap music.

RYpaRu7ZcJk HMUDVMiITOU

Moderate trap music. (okay; kinda iffy; good or bad based off opinions)

rzc3_b_KnHc i_kF4zLNKio

Bad trap music.

ProbPpO_8oo KT7W9oJP6BI
Great analysis. Yeah, I have noticed that trap is almost everywhere in music and most of it is terrible; however, there are few songs that are awesome.  Now with that said, I'm glad that were artists who didn't get into the subgenre and decided to do their own thing. Music should always be expanding, not doing the same thing over and over again.

Oh, you didn't answer the other question. Do you think Kreayshawn was trap rap before she fell off the map?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/11/17 at 4:21 pm

Great analysis. Yeah, I have noticed that trap is almost everywhere in music and most of it is terrible; however, there are few songs that are awesome.  Now with that said, I'm glad that were artists who didn't get into the subgenre and decided to do their own thing. Music should always be expanding, not doing the same thing over and over again.

Oh, you didn't answer the other question. Do you think Kreayshawn was trap rap before she fell off the map?

Her genre of songs were more of an (electro) pop rap rather than trap rap. She was horrible though and I'm happy that she fell off lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 4:26 pm

Her genre of songs were more of a rare (electro) pop rap rather than trap. She was horrible though and I'm happy that she felt off lol.
Yeah. Same here. I actually downloaded one of her entire mix-tapes and it was truly awful. ;D In fact, I downloaded many mix-tapes of lesser known artists a few years ago and damn, it was atrocious. ;D There was V-nasty, Le1f, Purplespaceghost (I think), and a few others I can't remember.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/13/17 at 11:34 pm

You guys kidding me, right? Trap music is actually chillaf. Panda is such a tightaf song I don't even know how to describe it. I just added it to my Pandora "favorite songs" playlist along with Ed Sheeran, KoRn, Disturbed and Limp Bizkit.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 11:35 pm

You guys kidding me, right? Trap music is actually chillaf. Panda is such a tightaf song I don't even know how to describe it. I just added it to my Pandora "favorite songs" playlist along with Ed Sheeran, KoRn, Disturbed and Limp Bizkit.

Nice troll bruv ;).

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/13/17 at 11:39 pm

Nice troll bruv ;).

Not trolling. Trap music is just too litaf, famalamadingdong.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 11:42 pm

Not trolling. Trap music is just too litaf, famalamadingdong.

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/13/17 at 11:46 pm

;D  ;D  ;D

I dunno what's so funny about good times litaf party music that makes people get up and "dat azz bounce".

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 3:08 pm

I dunno what's so funny about good times litaf party music that makes people get up and "dat azz bounce".
That would be more suitable for crunk rap. I can't think of anyone who would bounce to trap rap. ::) 

Written By: mqg96 on 04/23/17 at 3:13 pm

Yeah, I know you're getting the fun and entertainment out of the trap music instead of the seriousness like most good hip hop songs, like it's so bad to the point that it's hilarious af.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/23/17 at 7:01 pm

That would be more suitable for crunk rap. I can't think of anyone who would bounce to trap rap. ::)

The difference is that trap music is actually really good litaf music. I've seen many "azz bounce" jams at parties to trap.

Yeah, I know you're getting the fun and entertainment out of the trap music instead of the seriousness like most good hip hop songs, like it's so bad to the point that it's hilarious af.

I think it's chillaf bro. 8) I had Desiigner on my Pandora playlist along with Limp Bizkit and I knew it would be goodaf times for days.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 7:35 pm

The difference is that trap music is actually really good litaf music. I've seen many "azz bounce" jams at parties to trap.

I think it's chillaf bro. 8) I had Desiigner on my Pandora playlist along with Limp Bizkit and I knew it would be goodaf times for days.
Yeah, it's hilariously terrible ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You listen to Desiigner? ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 7:41 pm

Yeah, it's hilariously terrible ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You listen to Desiigner? ;D

Jordan? Listen to Desiigner? ;D ;D ;D.....No. He's just joking around.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 7:44 pm

Jordan? Listen to Desiigner? ;D ;D ;D.....No. He's just joking around.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/23/17 at 7:59 pm

Almost missed this thread.

I'm going to side with Crunk due to Lil Jon and The Eastside Boyz. In my definition, they made perfect crunk hits that era I realized I miss.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 8:00 pm

Almost missed this thread.

I'm going to side with Crunk due to Lil Jon and The Eastside Boyz. In my definition, they made perfect crunk hits that era I realized I miss.

I agree bro.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 8:35 pm

Full disclosure, I was actually okay with crunk in 2003/2004, but as I got older I didn't like it anymore.

I like some trap music (I've finally found out what trap is!), others are annoying. It's not as offensive to my ears like crunk/snap were, it's just very samey.

edit: wait, is that what you posted in the OP trap? NVM! I don't know what trap is. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/23/17 at 9:04 pm

Crunk was too heavy with its beat, and flashy, for my taste.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/17 at 7:07 pm

I love Desiigner, I don't know what's so hard to believe about that. He's chillaf bro.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/24/17 at 7:10 pm

I love Desiigner, I don't know what's so hard to believe about that. He's chillaf bro.

;D ;D ;D Yeah and I like walking on hot rocks.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/17 at 7:12 pm

;D ;D ;D Yeah and I like walking on hot rocks.

I heard hot rocks are very therapeutic but I've never tried them myself. Interesting to hear you enjoy this activity. 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/24/17 at 7:16 pm

I heard hot rocks are very therapeutic but I've never tried them myself. Interesting to hear you enjoy this activity. 8)

Yeah, it's makes crying easier ;D.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/17 at 7:19 pm

Yeah, it's makes crying easier ;D.

It's like with me. Desiigner makes it easier to let loose my inner madman and he helps the ladies "shake dat azz and make it bounce" because of his dopeaf beats.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/24/17 at 7:21 pm

It's like with me. Desiigner makes it easier to let loose my inner madman and he helps the ladies "shake dat azz and make it bounce" because of his dopeaf beats.

8)

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/17 at 8:09 pm

Trap rap wins.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2v0g1oo.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 04/24/17 at 8:14 pm

Trap rap wins.

Any excuse for an Oprah gif, eh?  ;D  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/17 at 10:46 pm

Trap rap wins.

Damn right!!!! 8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 9:25 pm

Desiigner sucks a**! ;D ;) ::) All he does is mumble. How can anyone dance to that besides you?

Trap rap wins.

Naw, it lost!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/30/17 at 8:40 am

Desiigner sucks a**! ;D ;) ::) All he does is mumble. How can anyone dance to that besides you?

He does not suck ass!! Desiigners makes the "hoez azz bounce" bro. I know because I go to the clubs all the time. 8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/30/17 at 10:32 am

He does not suck ass!! Desiigners makes the "hoez azz bounce" bro. I know because I go to the clubs all the time. 8)
Naw man. ;D ::) He does! He mumbles too much.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/30/17 at 12:22 pm

Naw man. ;D ::) He does! He mumbles too much.

You do know that Jordan is just joking? Jordan loves to troll.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/30/17 at 12:27 pm

You do know that Jordan is just joking? Jordan loves to troll.
Yea, I somewhat knew he was joking ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...