inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Systems of a year

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:21 pm

Same format as the other one.

I have always wondered what formula do you all use when it comes to years? On here, I have seen people use the thirds system; however, when it comes to economics, the quarter one is the most used. For those who might be confused. Here's a list.

Thirds

Jan-Apr

May-Aug

Sep-Dec

Halves

Jan-Jun

Jul-Dec

Quarters

Jan-Mar

Apr-Jun

Jul-Sep

Oct-Dec

Subject: Re: Systems of a year

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 12:51 pm

Same format as the other one.

I have always wondered what formula do you all use when it comes to years? On here, I have seen people use the thirds system; however, when it comes to economics, the quarter one is the most used. For those who might be confused. Here's a list.

Thirds

Jan-Apr

May-Aug

Sep-Dec

Halves

Jan-Jun

Jul-Dec

Quarters

Jan-Mar

Apr-Jun

Jul-Sep

Oct-Dec

I use the thirds system again because using quarters would be too complicated. Since there are 12 months with the thirds system you get 3 spans with 4 months each...simple.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 1:10 pm

I use the thirds system again because using quarters would be too complicated. Since there are 12 months with the thirds system you get 3 spans with 4 months each...simple.
In what way? Each quarter has 3 months which can be divided easily.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 1:48 pm

In what way? Each quarter has 3 months which can be divided easily.

4 months is easier to divide than 3.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/10/17 at 1:48 pm

Early, mid, late.

Not only are those prefixes most intuitive, they allign with different phrases of a school year: second semester, summer vacation, and first semester. The specific boundaries aren't really important because everybody starts and finishes classes at different weeks of the year. I, for example, started high school in mid-late August and completed classes in the beginning of May, but many other people's school years start and end a whole month behind that.

If you're done with school or school isn't that important to your life, then you can just split the year as early for winter and spring, mid for summer, and late for autumn and winter.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 1:49 pm

Early, mid, late.

Not only are those prefixes most intuitive, they allign with different phrases of a school year: second semester, summer vacation, and first semester. The specific boundaries aren't really important because everybody starts and finishes classes at different weeks of the year. I, for example, started high school in mid-late August and completed classes in the beginning of May, but many other people's school years start and end a whole month behind that.

If you're done with school or school isn't that important to your life, then you can just split the year as early for winter and spring, mid for summer, and late for autumn and winter.

Yeah, you're right. Great post.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 2:04 pm

4 months is easier to divide than 3.
What do you think about the halves formula?

Early, mid, late.

Yeah, that's totally true. In fact, there are some states (and school districts) that begin the year in August and end in May while other started in September and end in June. My district was in the latter, so we would begin school after Labor day.

I would say the quarter system could work for seasons though. I mean March, June, September and December aren't really in their respective seasons that most people make it out to be. Besides, the new one doesn't even start until about 2/3s into the month.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 2:06 pm

I use halves, sometimes thirds, especially when emphasizing the summer. Quarters make sense for economic measurements but are too precise for something like pop culture changes.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 2:07 pm

What do you think about the halves formula?

It could work but I'm just used to using the thirds system. Also, since July 1 is the exactly half way in the year (except for leap years) it can be considered both apart of the 1st half of the year and the 2nd half...:P.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 2:17 pm

UltraDog: off-topic, but did you get the chance the spread the "everything changed in late 2006" meme to social media sites?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 2:21 pm

I use halves, sometimes thirds, especially when emphasizing the summer. Quarters make sense for economic measurements but are too precise for something like pop culture changes.
I have say it does seem to depend on the topic. Like for school years, most use a semester schedule while some use the quarter one, so the halves formula would make sense.

It could work but I'm just used to using the thirds system. Also, since July 1 is the exactly half way in the year (except for leap years) it can be considered both apart of the 1st half of the year and the 2nd half...:P.
I thought July 2nd was exactly halfway. I checked out how many days for halves, and there are 182 for the 1st half and 184 for the 2nd half. Starting with Jul 2nd however, both halves have an equal of 183 days each.

UltraDog: off-topic, but did you get the chance the spread the "everything changed in late 2006" meme to social media sites?
Not yet, but I got you covered. ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 2:27 pm

I thought July 2nd was exactly halfway. I checked out how many days for halves, and there are 182 for the 1st half and 184 for the 2nd half. Starting with Jul 2nd however, both halves have an equal of 183 days each.

Well either way, barely anyone talks about the year in halves because it's basically impractical.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 2:32 pm

Well either way, barely anyone talks about the year in halves because it's basically impractical.
I wouldn't say barely. Every time I type half years, this is what I got.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1CHXU_enUS608US619&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=year%20in%20halves&oq=year%20in%20halves&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.7639j0j7

However, the year in thirds, it was different.

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&rlz=1C1CHXU_enUS608US619&espv=2&q=year+in+thirds&oq=year+in+thirds&gs_l=serp.3...31605.35647.0.36309.8.8.0.0.0.0.116.617.5j2.7.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..1.6.535...0j0i67k1j0i20k1j35i39k1j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1.jYOLvINq2HY

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/10/17 at 3:18 pm

I like the quarters system, since it depicts every section with a season (Winter with January-March, Spring with April-July, etc).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 3:24 pm

I wouldn't say barely. Every time I type half years, this is what I got.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1CHXU_enUS608US619&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=year%20in%20halves&oq=year%20in%20halves&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.7639j0j7

However, the year in thirds, it was different.

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&rlz=1C1CHXU_enUS608US619&espv=2&q=year+in+thirds&oq=year+in+thirds&gs_l=serp.3...31605.35647.0.36309.8.8.0.0.0.0.116.617.5j2.7.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..1.6.535...0j0i67k1j0i20k1j35i39k1j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1.jYOLvINq2HY

It's impractical in daily life. Most people when talking about years don't talk about it in halves but in thirds and in some instances quarters.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/17 at 5:13 pm

I cut it all like pizza.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCY0GqNmN13a5CmA0K9n3YOJX0Px_2LZ-JZNyvXBq9-tJ4Jw8C

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 6:20 pm

I have say it does seem to depend on the topic. Like for school years, most use a semester schedule while some use the quarter one, so the halves formula would make sense.
Not yet, but I got you covered. ;)

Do you mean university/college or public school? Because, if the former, then my school uses thirds: fall term (September - December), winter term (January - April) and summer term (May - August). If the latter, then it was just first semester (September - January) and second semester (February - June), then summer (July/August).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 12:14 pm

Do you mean university/college or public school? Because, if the former, then my school uses thirds: fall term (September - December), winter term (January - April) and summer term (May - August). If the latter, then it was just first semester (September - January) and second semester (February - June), then summer (July/August).
Both. I'm aware that some schools, do use the quarter system, but most go by the semester; therefore, the halves is the most useful when it comes academic years.

Check for new replies or respond here...