inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decades from a pop cultural perspective

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/10/17 at 6:55 pm

Tricky year = the year is about half and half, or in simple terms, undecided.

50's: 1954-1962
50's/60's Tricky year: 1963
60's: 1964-1970
60's/70's Tricky year: 1971
70's: 1972-1980
70's/80's Tricky year: 1981
80's: 1982-1990
80's/90's Tricky year: 1991
90's: 1992-1998
90's/00's Tricky year: 1999
00's: 2000-2007
00's/10's Tricky year: 2008
10's: 2009-present

Subject: Re: Decades from a pop cultural perspective

Written By: #Infinity on 04/10/17 at 8:17 pm

Tricky Year: 1919 - WWI was over and 20s culture was on its way, albeit not firmly established yet.
20s: 1920-1929
No tricky year, the shift from the 20s to 30s was one of the most straightforward in history.

30s: 1930-1938
Tricky Year: 1939 - Fashion was much more 40s, WWII began in Europe, and some significant new culture arrived, but it was still the Depression era.

40s: 1940-1945
Tricky Year: 1946 - WWII was over, but the G.I.'s were still in college and Containment hadn't really started yet.

Post-War Decade: 1947-1953
Tricky Year: 1954 - This was when the classic 50s started to take shape, but they were still in the minority.

50s: 1955-1962
Tricky Year: 1963 - 60s fashion, television, and music were decently defined by this point, but the true 60s didn't have that much momentum yet.

60s: 1964-1969
Tricky Year: 1970 - A clusterf*** of angry counterculture, backlash, new bands, new shows, and significant events.

70s: 1971-1978
Tricky Year: 1979 - The end of this year was a lot different from the start.

80s: 1980-1989
Tricky Year: 1990 - The USSR was collapsing, several new shows arrived, and some new music was growing popular, but fashion and rock music were still solidly 80s, and the 90s counterculture wasn't really established yet.

90s: 1991-1998
Tricky Year: 1999 - Geopolitically 90s, culturally first-half-of-2000s.

2000s: 2000-2008
Tricky Year: 2009 - Geopolitically 2010s, culturally 2000s with a few exceptions.

2010s: 2010-present

Written By: bchris02 on 04/10/17 at 11:47 pm

Tricky Year: 1919 - WWI was over and 20s culture was on its way, albeit not firmly established yet.
No tricky year, the shift from the 20s to 30s was one of the most straightforward in history.

Tricky Year: 1939 - Fashion was much more 40s, WWII began in Europe, and some significant new culture arrived, but it was still the Depression era.

Tricky Year: 1946 - WWII was over, but the G.I.'s were still in college and Containment hadn't really started yet.

Tricky Year: 1954 - This was when the classic 50s started to take shape, but they were still in the minority.

Tricky Year: 1963 - 60s fashion, television, and music were decently defined by this point, but the true 60s didn't have that much momentum yet.

Tricky Year: 1970 - A clusterf*** of angry counterculture, backlash, new bands, new shows, and significant events.

Tricky Year: 1990 - The USSR was collapsing, several new shows arrived, and some new music was growing popular, but fashion and rock music were still solidly 80s, and the 90s counterculture wasn't really established yet.

Tricky Year: 2009 - Geopolitically 2010s, culturally 2000s with a few exceptions.

I agree with this completely.  2009 is definitely the tricky year for the transition between '00s and '10s.  I like how you mentioned 1963.  A lot of sixties trends were being established, but the counterculture and sexual revolution really had not gained the momentum yet it had in 1968 and 69.  In terms of "family values", 1963 was still very much like the world of the 1950s.  I think the JFK assassination was the moment that era "lost its innocence" so to speak.  I know the era was never as innocent as its commonly portrayed, but there is still a certain bliss about it.

Written By: aja675 on 04/11/17 at 4:24 am

So every year of the '10s is/was tricky?

Written By: #Infinity on 04/11/17 at 8:07 am

I agree with this completely.  2009 is definitely the tricky year for the transition between '00s and '10s.  I like how you mentioned 1963.  A lot of sixties trends were being established, but the counterculture and sexual revolution really had not gained the momentum yet it had in 1968 and 69.  In terms of "family values", 1963 was still very much like the world of the 1950s.  I think the JFK assassination was the moment that era "lost its innocence" so to speak.  I know the era was never as innocent as its commonly portrayed, but there is still a certain bliss about it.

A certain bliss if you weren't gay. If you and I were transported back to the 50s, the police would arrest us just because of who we are, even if it meant raiding our homes and violating the Fourth Amendment.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/17 at 12:29 pm

A certain bliss if you weren't gay. If you and I were transported back to the 50s, the police would arrest us just because of who we are, even if it meant raiding our homes and violating the Fourth Amendment.

Depends on where you were.  I think LGBT people could get by in New York and San Francisco back then.  Much of the interior of the country...you are right.  The thing is, being closeted and living in the rural Bible Belt where if I came out I would experience serious social repercussions, I don't perceive the '50s to be that much different than today on that front.  I doubt I would be arrested in the '50s unless I was actually caught in a relationship with another guy, but merely saying I was gay would get me expelled from mainstream society.  Things haven't progressed from that very much where I live.  I think the 1950s would be much worse if you weren't white, because you can't hide that.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 12:48 pm

Depends on where you were.  I think LGBT people could get by in New York and San Francisco back then.  Much of the interior of the country...you are right.  The thing is, being closeted and living in the rural Bible Belt where if I came out I would experience serious social repercussions, I don't perceive the '50s to be that much different than today on that front.  I doubt I would be arrested in the '50s unless I was actually caught in a relationship with another guy, but merely saying I was gay would get me expelled from mainstream society.  Things haven't progressed from that very much where I live.  I think the 1950s would be much worse if you weren't white, because you can't hide that.

I'm not a gay man (I'm straight/heterosexual) but it makes me said that there are still so many people who think of gay people as abnormal freaks.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/11/17 at 1:26 pm

You really underestimate how brutal living conditions were for gays back in the 50s. Same-sexual activity was illegal in every state until Illonois decriminalized it in 1961. Even in major cities with large homosexual communities like San Francisco and New York, gay bars were constantly raided by the fuzz. Gays were primary targets of the FBI for being "un-American," and even if you avoided gay bars, McCarthyism would've still sniffed you out if you seemed at all peculiar. Until the aftermath of the Stonewall Riots in 1969, America wasn't even remotely livable for gays and lesbians.

By contrast, African Americans may have been heavily disenfranchised and discriminated against before 1965, but at the very least, they weren't locked up explicitly just for being black, even though they were constantly arrested for crimes they didn't commit.

If I was living in the 1950s, I would undoubtedly marry a man, making the most out of a platonic attraction and only satisfying my lust by looking at pin-up photographs while my husband was away at work. I'd rather be able to live a secure life with some positives than be jailed and thus wrecked for my sexual orientation alone.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/17 at 2:09 pm

If I was living in the 1950s, I would undoubtedly marry a man, making the most out of a platonic attraction and only satisfying my lust by looking at pin-up photographs while my husband was away at work. I'd rather be able to live a secure life with some positives than be jailed and thus wrecked for my sexual orientation alone.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in the Bible Belt still have to do this.  It's a miserable way to live, but its a fact of life in some places in this country even today.  That's why you see and hear of so many Republican lawmakers and clergy being involved in same-sex scandals in states like Oklahoma.  Of course jail isn't a fear anymore, but having your life wrecked and being cut off by everyone you thought loved you is.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/17 at 2:13 pm

You really underestimate how brutal living conditions were for gays back in the 50s. Same-sexual activity was illegal in every state until Illonois decriminalized it in 1961. Even in major cities with large homosexual communities like San Francisco and New York, gay bars were constantly raided by the fuzz. Gays were primary targets of the FBI for being "un-American," and even if you avoided gay bars, McCarthyism would've still sniffed you out if you seemed at all peculiar. Until the aftermath of the Stonewall Riots in 1969, America wasn't even remotely livable for gays and lesbians.

By contrast, African Americans may have been heavily disenfranchised and discriminated against before 1965, but at the very least, they weren't locked up explicitly just for being black, even though they were constantly arrested for crimes they didn't commit.

And some countries still do that in 2017. Ones we sell weapons and send foreign aid to. :-X

But sometimes, discrimination is not only penal, but also social. People in the Bible Belt would face heavy repercussions if they came out, even if it isn't from the law. I think the same can be said for black people post-1965.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/17 at 2:17 pm

And some countries still do that in 2017. Ones we sell weapons and send foreign aid to. :-X

But sometimes, discrimination is not only penal, but also social. People in the Bible Belt would face heavy repercussions if they came out, even if it isn't from the law. I think the same can be said for black people post-1965.

I agree with this. I honestly don't think my social life would be much different in 1958 than it is now. I would probably get a lot more questions in terms of why I am not married.  I could easily dodge that question though like many did back then. Sexual orientation wasn't on a lot of people's minds like it is today.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/11/17 at 2:43 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of people in the Bible Belt still have to do this.  It's a miserable way to live, but its a fact of life in some places in this country even today.  That's why you see and hear of so many Republican lawmakers and clergy being involved in same-sex scandals in states like Oklahoma.  Of course jail isn't a fear anymore, but having your life wrecked and being cut off by everyone you thought loved you is.

Having a criminal record severely hinders your rights and ability to get a job. Today, there are at least thriving gay communities that you can visit if you want to escape from the religious bigots. In 1958, even San Francisco was perilous for an open homosexual due to police raids and investigations.

I agree with this. I honestly don't think my social life would be much different in 1958 than it is now. I would probably get a lot more questions in terms of why I am not married.  I could easily dodge that question though like many did back then. Sexual orientation wasn't on a lot of people's minds like it is today.

It was certainly on the FBI's mind, or at least enough McCarthyites that you could be screwed.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/17 at 2:45 pm

One thing I want to add about the 1950s is the key to living back then if you didn't conform to the social norm was avoiding labeling yourself.  If you thought religion was bullsh-t for instance, you would never admit to being atheist, you would simply say you aren't a churchgoing kind of person.  If you were gay (or homosexual because the word 'gay' wasn't widely used then to describe homosexual orientation), you would never admit it.  You would either marry a member of the opposite sex anyways or stay single and say "I just haven't found the right woman yet."  You could get by this way.  However, if you wanted to be a respected member of the community or join politics, you would have to be involved in the church.  Quite frankly, it isn't much different than that where I live today.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/11/17 at 3:12 pm

One thing I want to add about the 1950s is the key to living back then if you didn't conform to the social norm was avoiding labeling yourself.  If you thought religion was bullsh-t for instance, you would never admit to being atheist, you would simply say you aren't a churchgoing kind of person.  If you were gay (or homosexual because the word 'gay' wasn't widely used then to describe homosexual orientation), you would never admit it.  You would either marry a member of the opposite sex anyways or stay single and say "I just haven't found the right woman yet."  You could get by this way.  However, if you wanted to be a respected member of the community or join politics, you would have to be involved in the church.  Quite frankly, it isn't much different than that where I live today.

If you didn't conform to the norm back then, you'd be significantly more susceptible to investigation for being "un-American." There was hardly any room to maneuver if you wanted to be left alone. New York and San Francisco were no more welcoming than the Bible Belt because of how hostile attitudes were towards homosexuals back then in general.

I just want to know why on earth you still haven't moved away from your current hometown if you seriously think you'd be no better off living in the 1950s than an era with convenient to gay culture and communities at the click of a button and no legislature seizing you for sexual orientation alone. Relatively speaking, you sugarcoat the 50s more than Happy Days did. I know that finding a job in a different city isn't always super straightforward, but you've apparently been living in small-town Missouri for half a decade, and it has clearly wrecked your happiness and sense of security. I think before you stated you'd like to move to Dallas? Depending on which part of town you visit, moving to a big city like that seems like by far the best thing you could do for yourself right now.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/17 at 3:27 pm

If you didn't conform to the norm back then, you'd be significantly more susceptible to investigation for being "un-American." There was hardly any room to maneuver if you wanted to be left alone. New York and San Francisco were no more welcoming than the Bible Belt because of how hostile attitudes were towards homosexuals back then in general.

I just want to know why on earth you still haven't moved away from your current hometown if you seriously think you'd be no better off living in the 1950s than an era with convenient to gay culture and communities at the click of a button and no legislature seizing you for sexual orientation alone. Relatively speaking, you sugarcoat the 50s more than Happy Days did. I know that finding a job in a different city isn't always super straightforward, but you've apparently been living in small-town Missouri for half a decade, and it has clearly wrecked your happiness and sense of security. I think before you stated you'd like to move to Dallas? Depending on which part of town you visit, moving to a big city like that seems like by far the best thing you could do for yourself right now.

I was unaware that McCarthy went after private citizens and am still ignorant of the extent of it.  I am very familiar with McCarthyism but from what I know about it, it seemed to be most focused on elected officials, public servants, and high profile people such as Hollywood actors.  McCarthy lost a large amount of his support when he started targeting the military.

Yes, I have wasted half of a decade living here and won't be able to easily leave until 2020.  The first three years were flat out miserable to the point I was suicidal but now I just kind of accept things the way they are as a fact of life.  I am sure that's how it was for people back in the 1950s.  When you've never tasted freedom (or in my case, not tasted it for 7 years now), its easier to just accept the status quo.  I would love to move somewhere like Dallas, Denver, Portland, or New York and hope to do so before New Years Day 2021.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/17 at 4:45 pm

I'll start maybe with the 1920s because that's when most 20th century pop culture sources started with.

1920s: 1920-1929
Culminating Year/Event: Al Capone's trials in early 1929, along with the Great Depression starting in October of that same year. I say that because the Great Depression kinda affected people in a cultural way.

1930s: 1930-1937
Culminating Year/Event: 1938 (the year when Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released across the United States in January of that year)

1940s: 1939-1945
Culminating Year/Event: The death of Franklin D. Roosevelt, which sparked a new era in the United States.

Post-War 1940s: 1946-1953
Culminating Year/Event: The end of Harry Truman's presidency in early 1953.

1950s: 1954-1959
Tricky Year/Event: 1960 (the first year after Buddy Holly's death)

1960s: 1961-1968
Tricky Year/Event: 1969 (the first year after MLB introduced their divisional play, sparking the NL/ALCS to come around) (Scooby Doo's introduction as well)

1970s: 1970-1979
Tricky Year/Event: 1980 (there was still disco roaming around people's heads, despite Disco Demolition happening the year before)

1980s: 1981-1989
Tricky Year/Event: 1990 (Still a bit 80s for most people)

1990s: 1991-1998
Tricky Year/Event: 1999 (The Sopranos, Spongebob, and Family Guy all premiered that year, which sparked a new era for TV)

Tricky Year/Event: 2009 (Obama was president, despite the pop culture being more spot on with the '43 Bush era)

2010s: 2010-2016
Tricky Year/Event: 2017 (Trump is president, which kinda sparks a new era within our emotions and pop culture)

2020s: 2018-2025
Tricky Year/Event: To be dated

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 4:47 pm

I'll start maybe with the 1920s because that's when most 20th century pop culture sources started with.

Culminating Year/Event: Al Capone's trials in early 1929, along with the Great Depression starting in October of that same year. I say that because the Great Depression kinda affected people in a cultural way.

Culminating Year/Event: 1938 (the year when Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released across the United States in January of that year)

Culminating Year/Event: The death of Franklin D. Roosevelt, which sparked a new era in the United States.

Tricky Year/Event: 1969 (the first year after MLB introduced their divisional play, sparking the NL/ALCS to come around) (Scooby Doo's introduction as well)

Tricky Year/Event: 1980 (there was still disco roaming around people's heads, despite Disco Demolition happening the year before)

Tricky Year/Event: Honestly, there isn't really any to define what happened.

1990s: 1990-1998
Tricky Year/Event: 1999 (The Sopranos, Spongebob, and Family Guy all premiered that year, which sparked a new era for TV)

Tricky Year/Event: 2009 (Obama was president, despite the pop culture being more spot on with the '43 Bush era)

Tricky Year/Event: 2017 (Trump is president, which kinda sparks a new era within our emotions and pop culture)

Good post overall but how can you predict the 2020s already? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/17 at 4:50 pm

Good post overall but how can you predict the 2020s already? ???

I think after Trump was elected, we immediately got into a new era. Especially since most celebrities reacted over Trump with either negative or positive reactions on social media. 2025 is when he'll get out of the White House, if he gets re-elected in 2020.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 4:51 pm

I think after Trump was elected, we immediately got into a new era. Especially since most celebrities reacted over Trump with either negative or positive reactions on social media. 2025 is when he'll get out of the White House, if he gets re-elected in 2020.
I still doubt he will last 4 years, let alone even 2 years.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/11/17 at 4:51 pm

For me, the tricky year of the 90's was 1992. I mean, what the hell was that?  ???  ::)  ::)

For the 60's, 1963 and 1964 were the tricky years of the 60's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/17 at 4:53 pm

Well, if all else fails and we do get to see him as president for 2 full terms, then I suppose 2025 might be the end of it. Even if he did get impeached, Mike Pence would still be the president during 2017-2021 (or 2017-2025 if he gets re-elected).

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/11/17 at 4:53 pm

Tricky Year/Event: Honestly, there isn't really any to define what happened.

1990s: 1990-1998

Things to note:
1990 was still very 80's. I would say that 1991 is more of a tricky year. In the year's beginning, glam metal still was popular, and the USSR didn't collapse yet. By the end of the year, grunge takes over and the USSR was no more.

1999 was the last year before reality TV exploded. TV was progressively changing in not only 1999, but also 2000, and probably to some extent 2001. But it certainly is without a doubt the tricky year.

In general 1960-1962 still felt pretty 50's. The difference between 1962 and 1964 seems huge for just two years. I really don't see how they could be in a similar sub-era. 1963 seems to make more sense as the "tricky" year. British rock starts to become popular later on in the year along with surfing music, yet the year starts off with 50's-esque stuff that were remnants from the Malt Shop Era. Leave it to Beaver also cancelled in '63.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 4:54 pm

Trump won't be reelected in 2020.

I agree...;D.

Well, if all else fails and we do get to see him as president for 2 full terms, then I suppose 2025 might be the end of it. Even if he did get impeached, Mike Pence would still be the president during 2017-2021 (or 2017-2025 if he gets re-elected).

You have to be kidding me? Mike Pence....REELECTED....REALLY?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 4:55 pm

Still doubting either of them lasting 4 years.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 4:56 pm

I agree...;D.
;) ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 4:58 pm

Things to note:
1990 was still very 80's. I would say that 1991 is more of a tricky year. In the year's beginning, glam metal still was popular, and the USSR didn't collapse yet. By the end of the year, grunge takes over and the USSR was no more.

1999 was the last year before reality TV exploded. TV was progressively changing in not only 1999, but also 2000, and probably to some extent 2001. But it certainly is without a doubt the tricky year.

In general 1960-1962 still felt pretty 50's. The difference between 1962 and 1964 seems huge for just two years. I really don't see how they could be in a similar sub-era. 1963 seems to make more sense as the "tricky" year. British rock starts to become popular later on in the year along with surfing music, yet the year starts off with 50's-esque stuff that were remnants from the late 50's-1962. Leave it to Beaver also cancelled in '63.

1. Grunge didn't take over in 1991. 1999 is definetly the tricky year of the '90s but I agree with you on 1990.

2. 1963 was more like 1961 than 1965. I think the tricky year of the '60s was still 1963 though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/17 at 5:00 pm

Things to note:

By the early 90s, the USSR wasn't that much of a threat towards the U.S. Hell, it wasn't really a threat after Gorbachev became leader of the USSR in 1985.

1999-2000 was sort of tricky, but the 90s were mostly over by 1999. 2000 was more tricky because it was the last year before George W. Bush was considered president. Despite the fact that the Dot-Com Bubble burst by early 2000.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/17 at 5:01 pm

For me, the tricky year of the 90's was 1992. I mean, what the hell was that?  ???  ::)  ::)

1920/1921 is also somewhat tricky for the 1920s, since there was an economic depression that year and the decade wasn't "roaring" just yet. But there were flappers, suffragettes, cars, jazz etc. so it could fit in pretty easily too.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/11/17 at 5:04 pm

1962 was still in the Malt Shop age. 1963 was the tricky year. 1964 certainly smelled like the 60's without doubt.

1964 had the British Invasion craze, "surfing music" hits its peak, The Kinks make the DNA of punk music, and many 60's trends started to solidify that year. Not to mention, the Civil Rights Act.

To some extents, 1962 could even feel closer to 1954 than 1964.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/17 at 5:13 pm

1920/1921 is also somewhat tricky for the 1920s, since there was an economic depression that year and the decade wasn't "roaring" just yet. But there were flappers, suffragettes, cars, jazz etc. so it could fit in pretty easily too.

Folk music was still pretty predominant in 1920.  Everything wasn't as jazz-influenced as it was later in the decade.  This was a popular song that year.  It captures the spirit of the time and it's also pre-jazz.  Folk fell out of popularity in favor of jazz as the decade progressed before experiencing a revival during the Depression era.

ehUSElG3VeU

Billy Murray was also one of the most popular artists of the pre-electronic recording era.  In the late 1920s he fell out of favor despite updating his sound.

3u1SdLefg60

Written By: #Infinity on 04/11/17 at 5:18 pm

I was unaware that McCarthy went after private citizens and am still ignorant of the extent of it.  I am very familiar with McCarthyism but from what I know about it, it seemed to be most focused on elected officials, public servants, and high profile people such as Hollywood actors.  McCarthy lost a large amount of his support when he started targeting the military.

The Hollywood Blacklist and elected figures may have made headline news, but the paranoid, uptight climate of the 1950s made it common for conservative Americans to report suspected homosexuals to the feds, and the interrogations were usually not fair in the least. McCarthy's support took a nosedive when he targeted the military because the American military itself was primarily comprised of anti-Communists; most people in the 1950s wouldn't give a rat's arse if the feds invaded gay bars instead.

Yes, I have wasted half of a decade living here and won't be able to easily leave until 2020.  The first three years were flat out miserable to the point I was suicidal but now I just kind of accept things the way they are as a fact of life.  I am sure that's how it was for people back in the 1950s.  When you've never tasted freedom (or in my case, not tasted it for 7 years now), its easier to just accept the status quo.  I would love to move somewhere like Dallas, Denver, Portland, or New York and hope to do so before New Years Day 2021.

I'm glad that you're in a more stable mood than you were at first, but I still hope you can escape way sooner. I won't bother you if you don't want to explain the personal reasonings why you can't just get a new job in a big city and leave ASAP, but I do hope you find a way out of your near-1950s time capsule sooner rather than later. On the bright side, you at least have the Internet to keep you company and don't have to worry about a suspicious stranger reporting you to the feds for seeming gay by accident.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/17 at 5:38 pm

Folk music was still pretty predominant in 1920.  Everything wasn't as jazz-influenced as it was later in the decade.  This was a popular song that year.  It captures the spirit of the time and it's also pre-jazz.  Folk fell out of popularity in favor of jazz as the decade progressed before experiencing a revival during the Depression era.

Billy Murray was also one of the most popular artists of the pre-electronic recording era.  In the late 1920s he fell out of favor despite updating his sound.

That's are nice songs :)

I thought Jazz was already popular in the beginning of the decade though. These are some popular songs from 1920.

VB5_FScm41QtOhkc1a-zCo

I might be wrong though. Most my 1920s knowledge comes from fictions and biographical books rather than studying it.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 5:39 pm

That's are nice songs :)

I thought Jazz was already popular in the beginning of the decade though. These are some popular songs from 1920.

VB5_FScm41QtOhkc1a-zCo

I might be wrong though. Most my 1920s knowledge comes from fictions and biographical books rather than studying it.  :-X

I like Swing better than Jazz...:-X :-X :-X.

Written By: Mr Steamer on 04/12/17 at 1:18 pm

Some people actually think the sixties began in 1965, and not 1964. Because this was when the nation really became divided due to the escalation of the Vietnam war, the Watts riots taking place causing people to question civil rights activism, and when music started to become more dark with songs like "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Eve of Destruction", "California Dreaming" etc. Also worth noting is that in 1965 the Beatles released "Rubber Soul" and by that point, they were way ahead of their twist and shout days of 1963-1964.

Written By: Mr Steamer on 04/12/17 at 5:02 pm

But anyways, here is how I think the decades go;

The 1910's 1914-1919 (Start of WWI to Treaty Of Versailles)

The 1920's 1920-1929 (Prohibition Era to Wall Street Crash)

The 1930's 1930-1938 (Great Depression to Rise Of Nazi Germany)

The 1940's 1939-1945 (Start of WWII to V-J Day)

The Pre 1950's 1946-1953 (Baby Boom to Release of "The Wild One" film)

The 1950's 1954-1963 (Malt Shop Era to JFK's Assassination)

The 1960's 1964-1972 (British Invasion to End Of Hippie Era)

The 1970's 1973-1981 (Rise Of Glam Rock And Disco to Reagan's Election)

The 1980's 1982-1991 (Start of MTV's Popularity to Gulf War)

The 1990's 1992-1998 (Grunge Era to Rise of Teen Pop)

The 2000's 1999-2008 (Teen Pop Explosion to Obama's Election)

The 2010's 2009-present (Social Media Explosion and Rise of Electropop to present)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:24 pm

Some people actually think the sixties began in 1965, and not 1964. Because this was when the nation really became divided due to the escalation of the Vietnam war, the Watts riots taking place causing people to question civil rights activism, and when music started to become more dark with songs like "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Eve of Destruction", "California Dreaming" etc. Also worth noting is that in 1965 the Beatles released "Rubber Soul" and by that point, they were way ahead of their twist and shout days of 1963-1964.

I also think that colored TV started to become more used in shows by 1965.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 7:00 pm

But anyways, here is how I think the decades go;

The 1910's 1914-1919 (Start of WWI to Treaty Of Versailles)

The 1920's 1920-1929 (Prohibition Era to Wall Street Crash)

The 1930's 1930-1938 (Great Depression to Rise Of Nazi Germany)

The 1940's 1939-1945 (Start of WWII to V-J Day)

The Pre 1950's 1946-1953 (Baby Boom to Release of "The Wild One" film)

The 1950's 1954-1963 (Malt Shop Era to JFK's Assassination)

The 1960's 1964-1972 (British Invasion to End Of Hippie Era)

The 1970's 1973-1981 (Rise Of Glam Rock And Disco to Reagan's Election)

The 1980's 1982-1991 (Start of MTV's Popularity to Gulf War)

The 1990's 1992-1998 (Grunge Era to Rise of Teen Pop)

The 2000's 1999-2008 (Teen Pop Explosion to Obama's Election)

The 2010's 2009-present (Social Media Explosion and Rise of Electropop to present)

You mean his Inauguration?

Written By: Mr Steamer on 04/12/17 at 8:07 pm

You mean his Inauguration?

Yeah.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 8:59 pm

Here is my take (from an American lens):

1910s: 1913-1923 (Inauguration of Woodrow Wilson, start of The Great Migration, US joined WWI in 1917, Treaty of Versailles, Warren G. Harding's short-lived Presidency)

1920s: 1923-1929 (Inauguration of Calvin Coolidge, Roaring '20s, Flappers, Prohibition culture in full effect, Al Capone, Wall Street Crash of 1929 aka Black Tuesday which started The Great Depression)

1930s: 1929-1940 (Great Depression in full effect, Herbert Hoover's one term as Prez, FDR as the President from 1933-1941, Social Security created and other New Deal programs, Prohibition repealed, The Dust Bowl, Art Deco buildings like the Empire State Building, Mobster/Gangster era, Walt Disney and his company starts their animation dominance, the beginning of the Golden Age of Hollywood which lasted until the 1960s)

1940s: 1941-1952 (Pearl Harbor attack, US joining WWII in 1941, US industrial machine ROARS, rations, Rosie the Riveter, G.I.'s, D-Day invasion, Pacific Theater of WWII with US battling Japan, FDR reelected in 1944, FDR dying in office in 1945, Truman becoming Prez in 1945, US and the Allies defeating the Nazis, Truman Doctrine (aka start of the Cold War with the USSR), The Marshall Plan, Truman's Fair Deal, desegregation of US military in 1948, Korean War, start of the post-WWII US economic boom).

1950s: 1953-1963 (Eisenhower's Inauguration, Greaser Style, Marilyn Monroe, Stylish and HUGE cars, Rock and Roll becomes mainstream popular, Elvis Presley becomes the King, Civil Rights Movement starts, Disneyland opens in 1955, Eisenhower reelected in 1956, Soviet Union sends Sputnik into space and starts the Space Race with the USA, TV starts to receive wide adoption by the average American, Jet Age starts with Pan-Am, Eastern Air Lines, American Airlines & TWA, Cuban Revolution in 1959 overthrows Batista and Fidel Castro comes into power, JFK gets elected in 1960 defeating VP Nixon in a close and controversial election, Bay of Pigs invasion leads to failure, Surf rock music, Freedom Summer/Freedom Rides, Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, James Bond debuts, JFK announces Civil Rights legislation in June 1963, MLK 's "I Have A Dream Speech", JFK gets assassinated in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963)

1960s: 1964-1969 (LBJ becomes Prez, Civil Rights Act of 1964 - ends segregation, US involvement in the Vietnam War starts/escalates, LBJ crushes Sen. Barry Goldwater in '64 Presidential election, The British Invasion (The Beatles, The Who, etc), mod fashion,  Voting Rights Act of 1965, Watts Riots, Selma to Montgomery marches in '65, anti-war protests, counterculture movement, psychedelic rock,  Adam West Batman, Motown, Summer of Love, end of Civil Rights Movement, Tet Offensive in 1968, Martin Luther King & Robert F. Kennedy are assassinated 2 months after each other in 1968, LBJ declines to run for a second term in '68 because of mounting dissent against him and falling approvals ratings, 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago where Chicago police attacked peaceful (mostly young) protesters under the permission of Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley (Democrat), 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City...the site of the infamous Black Power salute by Black American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos, Richard Nixon defeats Hubert H. Humphrey in a close, tense and controversial Presidential election, Woodstock, United States sends men/astronauts onto the Moon in 1969 winning the Space Race)

1970s: 1970-1981 (Kent State protests in 1970 and US MPs (military police) killing 4 Kent State students, Pan-Am debuts the Boeing 747 in 1970 with it's first commercial flight, EPA is created, first Earth Day, Nixon heavily bombs Cambodia (and Laos) as apart of his "secret war", Nixon visits Mao Zedong's China and opens it to the world in 1972, Pong - first commercial video game debuts in '72, Nixon crushes Democrat George McGovern in a MASSIVE landslide in '72, funk music, VP Spiro Agnew resigns amid a scandal and Gerald Ford becomes VP in 1973, OPEC oil embargo in '73, Hip hop is birthed in '73, Nixon finally withdraws US troops from the battlefields of Vietnam in 1973, Watergate Scandal pops up in '73 against Nixon, Nixon resigns in August 1974 before he's removed from office, Ford becomes Prez, Ford pardons Nixon, 2 assassination attempts on Gerald Ford in 1975, North Vietnam finally takes over Saigon (South Vietnam) in 1975, Jaws premieres in 1975, 1976 Presidential election in which Jimmy Carter defeats Ford, US economic malaise and stagflation, shows like Happy Days, The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, M*A*S*H, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, Good Times, All in the Family, etc start airing in the 1970s, Scooby Doo, Where Are You? is a popular cartoon, Punk becomes popular among many youth in 1976/1977, Star Wars premieres in 1977, Atari 2600 debuts, Disco becomes massively popular because of Saturday Night Fever in '77, Elvis dies in '77, Grease premieres in 1978, arcades explode in popularity, Camp David Accords in '78 between Israel and Egypt spearheaded by Jimmy Carter, Bell bottoms being popular, 1979 Iranian Revolution and the holding hostage of Americans, 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY in which USA Men's Olympic Hockey Team miraculously ends up defeating the vaunted Soviet Union and then Finland for the Gold, Ronald Reagan becomes President by beating Carter in the '80 Presidential Election, Iran releases the American hostages on Inauguration Day 1981 to spite the outgoing Jimmy Carter)

1980s: 1982-early 1993 (Disco dies, Ronald Reagan recovers from his March 1981 assassination attempt, 1982 economic recession, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial comes out in '82, Synth pop, New Wave, Glam and Hair Metal, sitcoms like The Cosby Show, Cheers, Dallas, Dynasty, St. Elsewhere, The Golden Girls, Knight Rider, Miami Vice, etc premiere in the 1980s, Reagan's "Stars Wars" idea in 1983, North American video game Crash of '83 lasts until 1985, Michael Jackson's Thriller album and song becomes INSANELY famous in '83, US invades Grenada in 1983, Bombing of US Marines in Beirut, Lebanon in '83, Inspector Gadget, Transformers G1, DuckTales, The Care Bears, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc are popular cartoons, so many '80s movies that I can't name but you know them, 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles - a big moment for the USA and it still benefits L.A. to this day, 1984 Presidential election in which Reagan is reelected and DESTROYS former VP Walter Mondale in an even bigger landslide than in 1972, Back to the Future premieres in 1985 and is HUGELY popular, Nintendo debuts the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in '85 in the USA and the NES literally brings the North American video game industry back to life, The Space Shuttle Challenger explodes in 1986 killing 7 American astronauts on board, Iran-Contra scandal for President Reagan in '86, Rap becomes truly mainstream in '86, Lethal Weapon premieres in 1987, Full House premieres in '87, President Reagan utters "Tear down this wall!" in West Berlin in 1987, New Jack Swing becomes popular in '87, Michael Jackson's Bad album in 1987, Whitney Houston sings her way to the top of the charts, Roseanne premieres in 1988, VP George H.W. Bush defeats Democrat Gov. of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis in the 1988 Presidential election, N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton (1988) comes out and starts the dominance of Gangster rap until 1996, Detroit Piston's "Bad Boys" win back-to-back titles in '89 & '90, Batman premieres in 1989, The Arsenio Hall Show debuts in '89, COPS premeires in 1989, Saved By The Bell debuts in August 1989, SEGA debuts the SEGA Genesis in 1989 in the US to compete with the NES and starts to make it's mark in the video game industry, November 1989 - Berlin Wall falls in Germany and the Soviet Union's collapse is imminent and Disney premieres The Little Mermaid starting it's 10 year Renaissance, December '89 - US invades Panama and The Simpsons premieres, MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" explodes in popularity in 1990, In Living Color debuts in April 1990, The Gulf War begins in August 1990, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air premieres in Sep. 1990, Beverly Hills 90210 debuts in Oct. 1990, Home Alone premieres in November 1990, Gulf War ends in early 1991, Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby" in 1991, Nickelodeon shows such as Clarissa Explains It All, Doug, Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy debut in '91, Michael Jackson's Dangerous album in '91, Michael Jordan wins his first NBA title in June 1991, Martin debuts on TV in 1992, Kriss Kross's "Jump" in '92, 1992 Presidential election in which Bill Clinton defeats President George H.W. Bush and surprisingly successful Independent candidate and businessman Ross Perot).

I will do the 1990s and 2000s at a later date...:P.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/17 at 9:12 pm

The 90's to me were 1992 to 2000.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/11/18 at 11:46 am

Here is my take (from an American lens):

1940s: 1941-1952 (Pearl Harbor attack, US joining WWII in 1941, US industrial machine ROARS, rations, Rosie the Riveter, G.I.'s, D-Day invasion, Pacific Theater of WWII with US battling Japan, FDR reelected in 1944, FDR dying in office in 1945, Truman becoming Prez in 1945, US and the Allies defeating the Nazis, Truman Doctrine (aka start of the Cold War with the USSR), The Marshall Plan, Truman's Fair Deal, desegregation of US military in 1948, Korean War, start of the post-WWII US economic boom).

This post may be over a year old, but I just happened to read it and felt like I had to say something about it. Why do you Americans always think you singehandedly won WWII? You didn't even lose that many of your soldiers, and the only reason you entered the war was because one of your naval fleets was attacked, not because you cared about the fact that all of your allies were suffering brutality. Do you want to know which country really deserves to be called the "heros" of WWII? The Soviet Union. They fought all the worst battles, they killed most of the nazis, they got to Berlin first and they lost more people than any other country during the war. How many Russians died? Over 25 million. Now tell me who won WWII.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 1:07 pm

This post may be over a year old, but I just happened to read it and felt like I had to say something about it. Why do you Americans always think you singehandedly won WWII? You didn't even lose that many of your soldiers, and the only reason you entered the war was because one of your naval fleets was attacked, not because you cared about the fact that all of your allies were suffering brutality. Do you want to know which country really deserves to be called the "heros" of WWII? The Soviet Union. They fought all the worst battles, they killed most of the nazis, they got to Berlin first and they lost more people than any other country during the war. How many Russians died? Over 25 million. Now tell me who won WWII.

Calm down man and don't ever use the phrase "you Americans" again. Americans aren't a monolith, that's almost insulting.

Anyways, I said "US and the Allies". What do you think "the Allies" mean, huh?  ???

You're being outraged for NO REASON. I know that the Soviet Union lost the most soldiers and did most of the fighting against the Nazis. However, as the saying goes it was "British brains, American brawn, and Russian blood" that defeated the Nazis.

Also, don't forget that it was primarily the US that defeated Japan in the Pacific Theater/Theatre of WWII.

Anyways, once again...CALM DOWN!

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/11/18 at 4:45 pm

Calm down man and don't ever use the phrase "you Americans" again. Americans aren't a monolith, that's almost insulting.

Anyways, I said "US and the Allies". What do you think "the Allies" mean, huh?  ???

I wasn't angry it's just when you said "US and the allies" it seemed like you were saying the US did more work than the other allies. I think you should have just wrote "the allies defeating the nazis" instead.

Also, don't forget that it was primarily the US that defeated Japan in the Pacific Theater/Theatre of WWII

Americans did most of the fighting in the Pacific, but China actually did most of the fighting against the Japanese.

You're being outraged for NO REASON. I know that the Soviet Union lost the most soldiers and did most of the fighting against the Nazis. However, as the saying goes it was "British brains, American brawn, and Russian blood" that defeated the Nazis.

Fair enough.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 4:49 pm

Americans did most of the fighting in the Pacific, but China actually did most of the fighting against the Japanese.

Not during WWII.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 04/11/18 at 5:02 pm

Here's my take on the decades from the 1920s - 2010s.

1920s: January 16th, 1920 - October 28th, 1929

1930s: October 29th, 1929 - August 31st, 1939

1940s: September 1st, 1939 - September 2nd, 1945

Post-War Era: September 3rd, 1945 - July 27th, 1953

1950s: July 28th, 1953 - November 21st, 1963

1960s: November 22nd, 1963 - May 3rd, 1970

1970s: May 4th, 1970 - December 24th, 1979

1980s: December 25th, 1979 - December 24th, 1991

1990s: December 25th, 1991 - April 19th, 1999

2000s: April 20th 1999 - March 8th 2009

2010s: March 9th, 2009 - Present

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 5:10 pm

Oh dear...

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/11/18 at 5:16 pm

Oh dear...

?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/11/18 at 5:21 pm

I don't get it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 5:22 pm

?

I disagree with his assessment AND I think decadeology is terrible.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/11/18 at 5:22 pm

I don't get it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet%E2%80%93Afghan_War

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 5:23 pm

I don't get it.

December 24th, 1979 is when the Soviet-Afghan War started.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/11/18 at 5:23 pm

I disagree with his assessment AND I think decadeology is terrible.

How can anything he wrote be decadeology?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 5:24 pm

How can anything he wrote be decadeology?

What he did was literally Exhibit A of decadeology.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/11/18 at 5:26 pm

What he did was literally Exhibit A of decadeology.

Elaborate.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 5:28 pm

Elaborate.

Dividing decades by arbitrary dates is the LITERAL definition of decadeology.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/11/18 at 5:34 pm

Dividing decades by arbitrary dates is the LITERAL definition of decadeology.

If that were the case this whole thread would be decadeology, since T. Rex did the same with his list.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 5:37 pm

If that were the case this whole thread would be decadeology, since T. Rex did the same with his list.

Yes, it would and it is.

I can't lie, I originally contributed a lot to decadeology but now, I realize that it's stupid. Also, it's been overdone on this site.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/11/18 at 5:43 pm

I'm probably just going to lock this thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...