inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which year from your childhood do love the most?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 8:32 pm

Childhood Memories
I define childhood as being ages 5-10. I was those ages from 2004-2009 and personally I love all the years of my childhood but the year that I love the most was 2008. I know that 2008 had the recession but it didn't have much effect on my family and I.

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2016/05/17/hoa20081280jpg-653207_1280w.jpg
Some things from '08 ^

Reasons why I love 2008 was....
1. I turned 9 years old

2. Witnessing the election of former President Obama. As a 9 year old, it was amazing and groundbreaking and I knew the historical importance surrounding it.

3. Witnessing the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. That was the first Olympics that I EVER witnessed and what an amazing Olympics it was. It was surreal to see Michael Phelps dominating in swimming and Usain Bolt in track and field. Also, Nastia Luikin and Shawn Johnson were killing it in gymnastics and the 2008 USA Men's Basketball Team aka "The Redeem Team" with Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, Tayshaun Prince, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Chris Bosh, etc winning Gold by dominating the competition was my childhood version of the 1992 Dream Team in Barcelona.

4. Winning a group dance competition and as a prize my group got to see Kung Fu Panda in theaters for FREE.

5. My family moving to our current location in February 2008.

6. Starting 4th grade.

7. Playing with my PS2, PSP and Xbox 360.

8. Going to St. Maarten for vacation and visiting my godfather.

Share your memories of your favorite childhood year.

Subject: Re: Which year from your childhood do love the most?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/17 at 9:03 pm

Honestly, I would pretty much see my childhood as 3-10. But I think it's obvious to say for me that 2005 was my favorite year out of my childhood.

Reasons why 2005 was my favorite year in my childhood:

1. Going to Virginia (for my paternal grandpa's funeral) was one of the best times in my life, especially where my family stayed at a Comfort Inn.
2. I got my first portable DVD player to watch my movies on the go.
3. My dad installed Windows XP on my family's Dell Dimension computer, which made me really happy since I loved that operating system.
4. I really got into computer games (the ones made for Windows) throughout almost the whole year.
5. Lilo and Stitch 2 (my favorite Disney sequel) was released that year.
6. I started to have playdates with my best friend (who I'm still friends with).
7. It was probably my first year watching Cartoon Network.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 9:12 pm

Honestly, I would pretty much see my childhood as 3-10. But I think it's obvious to say for me that 2005 was my favorite year out of my childhood.

Reasons why 2005 was my favorite year in my childhood:

1. Going to Virginia (for my paternal grandpa's funeral) was one of the best times in my life, especially where my family stayed at a Comfort Inn.
2. I got my first portable DVD player to watch my movies on the go.
3. My dad installed Windows XP on my family's Dell Dimension computer, which made me really happy since I loved that operating system.
4. I really got into computer games (the ones made for Windows) throughout almost the whole year.
5. Lilo and Stitch 2 (my favorite Disney sequel) was released that year.
6. I started to have playdates with my best friend (who I'm still friends with).
7. It was probably my first year watching Cartoon Network.

Awesome bruv. 2005 was a good year for me too.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/12/17 at 5:10 am

I would define childhood as being between the ages of 3-12, but regardless of the definition you use, I would personally consider 2007 to be the year of my childhood that I love the most. I will spare you from having to read a long paragraph as to why I really like the year, so I will list the reasons why I do in dot points. ;)

1. I like the vibe 2007 had. Despite what some people suggest, 2007 really wasn't all too different from the core 2000s years. I personally consider 2007 to be a "classic" 2000s year.

2. I went to my first live concert on the 20th October 2007. Prior to that, I had seen The Wiggles and Disney on Ice with my Mum when I was a toddler, but this was the first (and so far, only) time I had went to see a proper band concert. I went to see Linkin Park with my Mum and her friend at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, as part of Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight worldwide tour. Just over 13,000 people went to see them and with only being 8 years and 7 months old at the time, I was probably the youngest person there. :P It was a great experience!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/100_1417_zpsbflfbvi2.jpg

3. Later on in the year, I fell in love for the first time. :P Because she only lives behind my back fence, sometimes in the afternoon after school, we would jump on our trampolines and talk to each other. She had a big crush on me as well, which meant that she was basically my de-facto girlfriend. :P It wasn't something that only lasted for a few months either. We would remain in a de-facto boyfriend and girlfriend relationship until the end of 2009, but even after that, we still remained friends until the end of primary school. She goes to another high school, so that basically put an end to it.

4. I was in the peak of my childhood in 2007, because I turned 8 in March of that year.

5. Early in the year, I met my best friend for the first time and he has remained my best friend ever since. We both had a mutual friend and our mutual friend introduced us to each other. :)

6. I received a medal from my swimming school. Ironically though, I ultimately decided to stop going to swimming school later on in 2007, because I wasn't enjoying it. :P

7. My personal life was great at the time, although it was generally good throughout most of my childhood.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 10:11 am

I would define childhood as being between the ages of 3-12, but regardless of the definition you use, I would personally consider 2007 to be the year of my childhood that I love the most. I will spare you from having to read a long paragraph as to why I really like the year, so I will list the reasons why I do in dot points. ;)

1. I like the vibe 2007 had. Despite what some people suggest, 2007 really wasn't all too different from the core 2000s years. I personally consider 2007 to be a "classic" 2000s year.

2. I went to my first live concert on the 20th October 2007. Prior to that, I had seen The Wiggles and Disney on Ice with my Mum when I was a toddler, but this was the first (and so far, only) time I had went to see a proper band concert. I went to see Linkin Park with my Mum and her friend at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, as part of Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight worldwide tour. Just over 13,000 people went to see them and with only being 8 years and 7 months old at the time, I was probably the youngest person there. :P It was a great experience!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/100_1417_zpsbflfbvi2.jpg

3. Later on in the year, I fell in love for the first time. :P Because she only lives behind my back fence, sometimes in the afternoon after school, we would jump on our trampolines and talk to each other. She had a big crush on me as well, which meant that she was basically my de-facto girlfriend. :P It wasn't something that only lasted for a few months either. We would remain in a de-facto boyfriend and girlfriend relationship until the end of 2009, but even after that, we still remained friends until the end of primary school. She goes to another high school, so that basically put an end to it.

4. I was in the peak of my childhood in 2007, because I turned 8 in March of that year.

5. Early in the year, I met my best friend for the first time and he has remained my best friend ever since. We both had a mutual friend and our mutual friend introduced us to each other. :)

6. I received a medal from my swimming school. Ironically though, I ultimately decided to stop going to swimming school later on in 2007, because I wasn't enjoying it. :P

7. My personal life was great at the time, although it was generally good throughout most of my childhood.

Awesome childhood anecdote bruv. BTW, I meant to say that core childhood is the ages of 5-10 and either way that was just my own definition (so don't take it 100% serious).

Also, that's pretty awesome you got to go to a concert at age 8 :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/17 at 12:09 pm

Man, this is really tough topic. I loved every year of my childhood, so it's hard to really pick just one. If I absolutely had to narrow it down to just one year, though, I would go with 1996.

*My parents took me and my brother on our favorite childhood vacation. In July 1996, just after my 9th birthday, we went to Universal Studios in Orlando for three days. It was amazing. I still fondly remember going on the Jaws, Earthquake and Ghostbusters rides, among many others. We also went to Nickelodeon Studios (when that was still open) and it was awesome to be able to get to see the place where some of my favorite shows were filmed. We even got to go to a live taping of Double Dare. Awesome times. 8)

*I got to see Independence Day in theaters not long after it came out as a birthday present. I was hyped for that one. Still my favorite childhood movie.

*My favorite school year, 1996-97, started that fall.

*Many mid '90s kid fads (like Pogs, Goosebumps, MMPR, Fox Kids, ect.) were at their peak.

*We got Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel added to our cable which, for a kid who'd grown up only watching Nickelodeon, was huge.

*I finally got Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie on VHS early that year and watched it, like, ten times a day with my friends.

*1996 was the last year of my "classic childhood" from a video game standpoint, as it was the last year that 16-bit gaming was still dominant. I got Donkey Kong Country 3, Vectorman 2, Sonic 3D Blast and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island that year on my SNES and Genesis as a final swan song to the 2D era of consoles.

*Two of my favorite Nickelodeon shows (the beloved Hey Arnold!, and the much less remembered Mystery Files of Shelby Woo) debuted that year.

*I got my first computer in 1996. It was a used Commodore Amiga 500 without any internet capability, but I still spent the whole summer playing kickass games on floppy like Bionic Commando, Road Raider and World Games.

*The 1996 Olympics were held right here in Georgia, and I even got to watch the Olympic Torch relay when it passed near my town.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 1:53 pm

Man, this is really tough topic. I loved every year of my childhood, so it's hard to really pick just one. If I absolutely had to narrow it down to just one year, though, I would go with 1996.

*My parents took me and my brother on our favorite childhood vacation. In July 1996, just after my 9th birthday, we went to Universal Studios in Orlando for three days. It was amazing. I still fondly remember going on the Jaws, Earthquake and Ghostbusters rides, among many others. We also went to Nickelodeon Studios (when that was still open) and it was awesome to be able to get to see the place where some of my favorite shows were filmed. We even got to go to a live taping of Double Dare. Awesome times. 8)

*I got to see Independence Day in theaters not long after it came out as a birthday present. I was hyped for that one. Still my favorite childhood movie.

*My favorite school year, 1996-97, started that fall.

*Many mid '90s kid fads (like Pogs, Goosebumps, MMPR, Fox Kids, ect.) were at their peak.

*We got Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel added to our cable which, for a kid who'd grown up only watching Nickelodeon, was huge.

*I finally got Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie on VHS early that year and watched it, like, ten times a day with my friends.

*1996 was the last year of my "classic childhood" from a video game standpoint, as it was the last year that 16-bit gaming was still dominant. I got Donkey Kong Country 3, Vectorman 2, Sonic 3D Blast and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island that year on my SNES and Genesis as a final swan song to the 2D era of consoles.

*Two of my favorite Nickelodeon shows (the beloved Hey Arnold!, and the much less remembered Mystery Files of Shelby Woo) debuted that year.

*I got my first computer in 1996. It was a used Commodore Amiga 500 without any internet capability, but I still spent the whole summer playing kickass games on floppy like Bionic Commando, Road Raider and World Games.

*The 1996 Olympics were held right here in Georgia, and I even got to watch the Olympic Torch relay when it passed near my town.

That sounds pretty awesome. Especially about seeing Independence Day in theaters, going to Universal Studios and Nickelodeon Studios (RIP :\'() and seeing the Olympic torch relay pass near your town 8).

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/12/17 at 2:13 pm

2006 for me I was 10 turning 11 that year. Reasons why I love it-

-Great school year at both the beginning and the end. although 2006/2007 was my favorite and just a tad better

-Made my first cartoon characters (this is important to me as I want to be an animator)

- My favorite film was Wallace and Gromit the Curse of the Were Rabbit (I was obsessed!)

-Made a best friend

-My childhood crush was reaching its peak

-Sang in a Christmas play, many people said that I was the highlight of the show!

- Went on holiday to America and England during the summer

-Saw my first episode of Doctor Who (Father's Day with Christopher Eccleston)

After performing in the play the end of 2006 really felt like the end of an era it was sad but happy at the same time. Early 2007 was great too but the second half of that year kind of ruins it

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 2:58 pm

2006 for me I was 10 turning 11 that year. Reasons why I love it-

-Great school year at both the beginning and the end. although 2006/2007 was my favorite and just a tad better

-Made my first cartoon characters (this is important to me as I want to be an animator)

- My favorite film was Wallace and Gromit the Curse of the Were Rabbit (I was obsessed!)

-Made a best friend

-My childhood crush was reaching its peak

-Sang in a Christmas play, many people said that I was the highlight of the show!

- Went on holiday to America and England during the summer

-Saw my first episode of Doctor Who (Father's Day with Christopher Eccleston)

After performing in the play the end of 2006 really felt like the end of an era it was sad but happy at the same time. Early 2007 was great too but the second half of that year kind of ruins it

Awesome, Wallace and Gromit the Curse of the Were Rabbit was good movie. Also, 2006 was a good year for me too.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 3:37 pm

It's hard for me to pick between 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003.  :-X

I'm going to side with 2003, for entirely personal reasons.

* I turned 10 years old, and my parents let me ride my bike throughout town, and I loved this newfound independence.

* One of the most fond memories of my childhood is me and my friends shovelling our neighbours' driveways for $2 each. We made mad cash whenever it snowed! We'd take that money and hop on our bikes to go to the video store to rent movies and games, and then go to the drug store buy Yu-gi-oh cards and candy. It was a bounty!

* I started to discover my own music, I was into some embarrassing stuff like Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, 50 Cent, Beyoncé etc. but god damn it I loved them. ;D And yes, it was also the year I discovered Yahoo! Music.

* I discovered Funnyjunk. While the Iraq War was a miserable affair all around, it gave us delicious memes.  :-X

* I went to Manchester, UK that summer and enjoyed myself. I also went to a swimming summer camp, which start my preteen hobby of swimming. I also learnt how to ice-skate that summer, an activity I still love doing.

* I discovered Habbo Hotel (chat room), and also, everyone in my class had an MSN account by then. Goes without saying, but I like chatting.

It wasn't a perfect year. My grandpa passed away that summer  :\'( and I had an evil teacher that gave us a lot of homework in the first half of the year. I also didn't like listening to the radio by the end of the year, and I was not a fan of the video games then, the Wind Waker was incredibly disappointing.  :-X

Pop culturally, my favourite year would be 2000. The Pokémon fad was at its peak. Mario Party 2 came out, and that's my favourite game of my childhood. Dragon Ball Z was also at its peak. I was a fan of teen pop.  :-[ Toy Story 2 came out on VHS! I could go on but this post is too long already. ;D 2000 was probably te most consistently good year of my childhood, but 2003 had the higher highs, even if it had lower lows.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:41 pm

It's hard for me to pick between 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003.  :-X

I'm going to side with 2003, for entirely personal reasons.

* I turned 10 years old, and my parents let me ride my bike throughout town, and I loved this newfound independence.

* One of the most fond memories of my childhood is me and my friends shovelling our neighbours' driveways for $2 each. We made mad cash whenever it snowed! We'd take that money and hop on our bikes to go to the video store to rent movies and games, and then go to the drug store buy Yu-gi-oh cards and candy. It was a bounty!

* I started to discover my own music, I was into some embarrassing stuff like Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, 50 Cent, Beyoncé etc. but god damn it I loved them. ;D And yes, it was also the year I discovered Yahoo! Music.

* I discovered Funnyjunk. While the Iraq War was a miserable affair all around, it gave us delicious memes.  :-X

* I went to Manchester that summer and enjoyed myself. I also went to a swimming summer camp, which start my preteen hobby of swimming. I also learnt how to ice-skate that summer, an activity I still love doing.

* I discovered Habbo Hotel (chat room), and also, everyone in my class had an MSN account by then. Goes without saying, but I like chatting.

It wasn't a perfect year. My grandpa passed away that summer  :\'( and I had an evil teacher that gave us a lot of homework in the first half of the year. I also didn't like listening to the radio by the end of the year, and I was not a fan of the video games then, the Wind Waker was incredibly disappointing.  :-X

Pop culturally, my favourite year would be 2000. The Pokémon fad was at its peak. Mario Party 2 came out, and that's my favourite game of my childhood. Dragon Ball Z was also at its peak. I was a fan of teen pop.  :-[ Toy Story 2 came out on VHS! I could go on but this post is too long already. ;D

;D It's Ok bruv...your 2003 sounds pretty awesome despite you liking Good Charlotte...;). 2003 was the year I thought I would become a pilot when I grew up...:-X :-X.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 3:46 pm

;D It's Ok bruv...your 2003 sounds pretty awesome despite you liking Good Charlotte...;). 2003 was the year I thought I would become a pilot when I grew up...:-X :-X.

Oh I forgot to mention that 2003 was the year I got broadband, Windows XP and an LCD monitor! That was awesome too.

You don't want to be a pilot anymore?  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 3:48 pm

2003 was like the year that I almost wanted to be like my dad, except I didn't realize he was a secretary for a lawyer.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:55 pm

Oh I forgot to mention that 2003 was the year I got broadband, Windows XP and an LCD monitor! That was awesome too.

You don't want to be a pilot anymore?  :o

No, I don't want to be a pilot anymore.

2003 was like the year that I almost wanted to be like my dad, except I didn't realize he was a secretary for a lawyer.

You should sue yourself or................SUE ME!.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/17 at 3:56 pm

I already told everybody many times before, 1998. I was 9 for most of the year. Turned 10 in November.

Awesome, euphoric, year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:58 pm

I already told everybody many times before, 1998. I was 9 for most of the year. Turned 10 in November.

Awesome, euphoric, year.

You have but this is the forum to tell us why you loved 1998... ;). Oh and since you was born in November 1988, my sister is 5 years older than you (born in November 1983).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:01 pm

Very difficult question since I enjoyed all of them, but I'm going with 1999. I had so much fun that year. N64, countdown to the millennium, riding bikes, and going to the park. What more can a kid ask?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:04 pm

Very difficult question since I enjoyed all of them, but I'm going with 1999. I had so much fun that year. N64, countdown to the millennium, riding bikes, and going to the park. What more can a kid ask?

In 1999? High speed internet...;D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:07 pm

In 1999? High speed internet...;D.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, but that was no way possible unless one was rich.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:10 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, but that was no way possible unless one was rich.

;D. You can always steal....;).

Anyways, I'm glad to see so many people sharing and reminiscing about their favorite childhood year/years :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:18 pm

;D. You can always steal....;).

Anyways, I'm glad to see so many people sharing and reminiscing about their favorite childhood year/years :).
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 4:23 pm

You should sue yourself or................SUE ME!.

Well, I didn't want to be a lawyer (even to this day). I just wanted to do stuff on computers since I loved them so much.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 4:23 pm

This thread is a perfect example why I choose age 8 as the average peak of most people's childhood.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:26 pm

Well, I didn't want to be a lawyer (even to this day). I just wanted to do stuff on computers since I loved them so much.

https://img.memesuper.com/47bb7ec467fb90a62ab83d80cef8a88a_austin-powers-nerd-alert-nerd-meme_400-400.jpeg

This thread is a perfect example why I choose age 8 as the average peak of most people's childhood.

I agree and this thread so far is fantastic :).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/13/17 at 9:44 am

For me, it was really close between 1994 and 1996 as my favorite childhood year. Since I already profiled 1996, I figured I would do a quick look at why 1994 came so close to taking the crown.

*I got a Sega Genesis for my 7th birthday in July 1994, bundled with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. That game would dominate my life for months.

*My parents took me to see my favorite animated movie of all-time, The Lion King, in theaters. Watching the part where Mufasa gets trampled to death, which I had no idea was coming (no internet spoilers in those days ;)) was legit one of the five most epic moments of my childhood.

*We finally got cable in the summer of 1994. That's right, up until just after I turned 7, the only channels we got were CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS. I can't even begin to tell you how huge getting cable for the first time was for a kid like me who, up to that point, had only been able to watch peak Golden Age Nickelodeon at the houses of my friends and cousins.

*Also on the video game front, my parents got me my all-time favorite beat-em up game for Christmas in 1994, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for the Super Nintendo.

*Two of my most watched '90s kid movies, Richie Rich and D2: The Mighty Ducks, came out in 1994.

*Saturday morning cartoons were still a dominant force, with Fox, CBS and ABC all offering 6+ hour blocks every Saturday.

*Most of my favorite childhood shows (Full House, Family Matters, Boy Meets World, etc.) were either in their primes, or entering their primes.

*I met my best friend at the start of the 1994-95 school year.

*I started listening to pop hits like "The Sign" by Ace of Base and "I Swear" by All-4-One, as I really began to pay attention to music and pop culture in general.

Man, now I'm starting to wonder if I should've picked 1994. :P I still think 1996 has a slight edge, though, because of the trip to Universal Studios.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 10:05 am

For me, it was really close between 1994 and 1996 as my favorite childhood year. Since I already profiled 1996, I figured I would do a quick look at why 1994 came so close to taking the crown.

*I got a Sega Genesis for my 7th birthday in July 1994, bundled with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. That game would dominate my life for months.

*My parents took me to see my favorite animated movie of all-time, The Lion King, in theaters. Watching the part where Mufasa gets trampled to death, which I had no idea was coming (no internet spoilers in those days ;)) was legit one of the five most epic moments of my childhood.

*We finally got cable in the summer of 1994. That's right, up until just after I turned 7, the only channels we got were CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS. I can't even begin to tell you how huge getting cable for the first time was for a kid like me who, up to that point, had only been able to watch peak Golden Age Nickelodeon at the houses of my friends and cousins.

*Also on the video game front, my parents got me my all-time favorite beat-em up game for Christmas in 1994, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for the Super Nintendo.

*Two of my most watched '90s kid movies, Richie Rich and D2: The Mighty Ducks, came out in 1994.

*Saturday morning cartoons were still a dominant force, with Fox, CBS and ABC all offering 6+ hour blocks every Saturday.

*Most of my favorite childhood shows (Full House, Family Matters, Boy Meets World, etc.) were either in their primes, or entering their primes.

*I met my best friend at the start of the 1994-95 school year.

*I started listening to pop hits like "The Sign" by Ace of Base and "I Swear" by All-4-One, as I really began to pay attention to music and pop culture in general.

Man, now I'm starting to wonder if I should've picked 1994. :P I still think 1996 has a slight edge, though, because of the trip to Universal Studios.

Awesome. Damn, you're so lucky to have been a kid during the mid '90s.

Also, we're awesome for being July babies....;).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/13/17 at 10:15 am

Also, we're awesome for being July babies....;).

Oh, absolutely! I think we've got it the best, frankly. We still get to start school on time with our peers because our birthday is before the new school year starts, but having a summer birthday means birthday parties at the pool, and still having time to play with whatever presents you get before school starts back. I always felt sorry for my friends that were born in the winter.

Also, I saw you mention that you were born on the same day as the 1999 MLB All-Star Game (July 13, 1999). I was born two days before the 1987 MLB All-Star Game (July 14, 1987), so our birthdays are just one day apart. 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 10:20 am

Oh, absolutely! I think we've got it the best, frankly. We still get to start school on time with our peers because our birthday is before the new school year starts, but having a summer birthday means birthday parties at the pool, and still having time to play with whatever presents you get before school starts back. I always felt sorry for my friends that were born in the winter.

Also, I saw you mention that you were born on the same day as the 1999 MLB All-Star Game (July 13, 1999). I was born two days before the 1987 MLB All-Star Game (July 14, 1987), so our birthdays are just one day apart. 8)

Yes, it's great having our birthdays in July because of those things. Oh and you're correct....I was born on July 13, 1999 (the date of the '99 MLB All-Star Game).

Your birthday being July 12th is awesome...12 years and one day older than me :).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/13/17 at 10:31 am

Yes, it's great having our birthdays in July because of those things. Oh and you're correct....I was born on July 13, 1999 (the date of the '99 MLB All-Star Game).

Your birthday being July 12th is awesome...12 years and one day older than me :).

Also, I know from a previous thread that nally was born on July 11, 1980, so he is 7 years and one day older than me.

There's almost as many mid-July babies around here as there are 1999 babies.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 10:34 am

Also, I know from a previous thread that nally was born on July 11, 1980, so he is 7 years and one day older than me.

There's almost as many mid-July babies around here as there are 1999 babies.

That's our way of making sure we're top dogs on this site 8).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/13/17 at 10:37 am

Yes, it's great having our birthdays in July because of those things. Oh and you're correct....I was born on July 13, 1999 (the date of the '99 MLB All-Star Game)

Excluding time-differences, you were born exactly four months after I was born. I was born on the 13th March 1999.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 10:39 am

Excluding time-differences, you were born exactly four months after I was born. I was born on the 13th March 1999.

Australia is like 14 hours ahead of NYC. So you would definetly have to exclude time but yeah, 4 months exactly..cool  :)

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/13/17 at 11:37 am

1998-2000.

Don't feel like writing why though. All of the details are already written in other similar nostalgia based threads.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/31/17 at 3:18 pm

It's easily late 2012 and all of 2013 for me. I wasn't in my core childhood in 2013, but I was 11 and I was still in the childhood age range (I define it as ages 3-12) that year was perfect for me. Here are some things that happened:

It was the year that I met most of my best friends that I still talk to this day. (2012 & 2013)

It was the year I started playing online games that I love and still play to this day. (Late 2012/Early 2013)

2012 was when I made a YouTube and started making my own videos

During the summer of 2013, I had a hose with water and there was a bounce house in my backyard and I would jump on it with my bathing suit and invite my friend over to go in the moon bounce and I would spray her with the hose and she would run away. The summer of 2013 was probably one of the best summers I"ve ever had.

Unrelated, but 2013 was probably the last year that ROBLOX was actually decent. I still play it, and I found out about it in early 2013  :)

2013 was the last year that I felt like an actual little kid. Since 2014, my attitude hasn't changed.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/31/17 at 3:32 pm

1985, 1986, and 1987.

I was between 5 and 7 years old. When I was at that age, I use to watch VH1 and MTV back when they played music videos only...I LOVED VH1 and MTV so much I watched them more than cartoons! I use to memorize the video line ups!

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 3:37 pm

1985, 1986, and 1987.

I was between 5 and 7 years old. When I was at that age, I use to watch VH1 and MTV back when they played music videos only...I LOVED VH1 and MTV so much I watched them more than cartoons! I use to memorize the video line ups!

Same for me! Ages 5-7 were my favorite years of my childhood! :) except they occurred in 2005-2007 and not the 80s lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 3:42 pm

Oh wow, I completely forgot about this thread (and I'm the one who created it :P). I see that I put 2008 as my favorite childhood year and I'll have to revise that...2007 is my favorite childhood year, 2008 is #2.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 3:45 pm

Oh wow, I completely forgot about this thread (and I'm the one who created it :P). I see that I put 2008 as my favorite childhood year and I'll have to revise that...2007 is my favorite childhood year, 2008 is #2.

Same, 2007 is #1. It was a great year! ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 3:46 pm

Yep 8).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/17 at 5:43 pm

Up through second grade.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 5:45 pm

Up through second grade.

Cat

That year was......?

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/31/17 at 8:37 pm

2007 was a great year for me too. I remember my 5th birthday I wanted a big dollhouse. I ended up getting a Dora The Explorer Kitchen Playset. Also, I thought 2007 had the best songs IMO

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 8:46 pm

2007 was a great year for me too. I remember my 5th birthday I wanted a big dollhouse. I ended up getting a Dora The Explorer Kitchen Playset. Also, I thought 2007 had the best songs IMO

Yes, 2007 did have very good music imo, especially considering the years around it.

Written By: d90 on 08/31/17 at 9:26 pm

2000 was a great year for me. I had a very nice teacher and some great classmates who I hung out with..
I also liked early and mid 2001. A lot of friends showed up to my 11th birthday and we hung out at my house after that. It was also when I started drawing my imaginary city maps on butcher block paper.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 11:01 pm

2000 was a great year for me. I had a very nice teacher and some great classmates who I hung out with..
I also liked early and mid 2001. A lot of friends showed up to my 11th birthday and we hung out at my house after that. It was also when I started drawing my imaginary city maps on butcher block paper.

What is that?

Written By: d90 on 09/01/17 at 1:39 am

What is that?

I draw detailed pictures of buildings i imagine from an aerial perspective

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/01/17 at 1:42 am

I draw detailed pictures of buildings i imagine from an aerial perspective

Have you played simcity or cities:skylines?

Written By: d90 on 09/01/17 at 1:50 am

Have you played simcity or cities:skylines?

Yes I have. I have also played SimTower and SimFarm

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 3:26 pm

1985, 1986, and 1987.

I loved MTV and VH1 too at the time when they were getting popular.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/17 at 5:07 pm

That year was......?

The year I left second grade.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/01/17 at 5:52 pm

The year I left second grade.

Cat

Which was in what EXACT year of the Gregorian calendar?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/17 at 6:01 pm

Which was in what EXACT year of the Gregorian calendar?

Why is that important?

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/01/17 at 6:05 pm

Why is that important?

Cat

Just want to know.

You don't have to tell me or you can send me a PM.

Sorry if I bothered you :(.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/01/17 at 11:34 pm

I left year 2 (2nd grade) in 2006.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/01/17 at 11:38 pm

2004, it was the most epic year of my childhood. If I had the choice I would also include the first half of 2005 because that was when we went to see Revenge of the Sith which was exciting and explosive (also unintentionally funny and inspired many internet memes).

Before kid culture smacked into the wall of mediocre in my opinion around mid-late 2005/2006 due to stuff like Camp Lazlo, Hannah Montana, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, The Xs, etc. (feel free to disagree).

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/01/17 at 11:43 pm

2004, it was the most epic year of my childhood. If I had the choice I would also include the first half of 2005 because that was when we went to see Revenge of the Sith which was exciting and explosive (also unintentionally funny and inspired many internet memes).

Before kid culture started getting mediocre in my opinion around mid-late 2005/2006 due to stuff like Camp Lazlo, Hannah Montana, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, etc. (feel free to disagree).

;D ;D I have to agree and disagree lol. I disagree mainly becasue I'm biased as I had just entered my core childhood only half a year before kid culture started to decline according to your opinion.

However I agree early 2000s was better.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/17 at 12:15 am

Jesus, I feel old.

For me 1997!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 2:28 am

My favourite childhood year is 2007, when I was 8 years old. I love the vibe that it had. :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 2:29 am

My favourite childhood year is 2007, when I was 8 years old. I love the vibe that it had. :)

Seems like a lot of our favourite childhood years was 2007 :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 2:30 am

Yeah, I know what you mean, and for me it didn't feel the same in 2008.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/02/17 at 2:33 am

I loved 2007 too. I was a bad kid back then though lol. I'd purposely block the kid's view sitting behind me when the teacher was reading a book and showing pictures ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 2:34 am

I loved 2007 too. I was a bad kid back then though lol. I'd purposely block the kid's view sitting behind me when the teacher was reading a book and showing pictures ;D

Lol wtf  ;D ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/02/17 at 2:36 am

Lol wtf  ;D ;D

;D ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 2:37 am

Yeah, I know what you mean, and for me it didn't feel the same in 2008.

You could sense that change was coming in 2008. Despite what some people suggest, when it comes to pop culture, 2007 was undeniably "core 2000s" and it didn't have any 2010s influences at all, IMO. In retrospect, 2007 was a pretty care-free year, especially when you compare it to recent years!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/17 at 6:19 am

From me, if the years of my now favourite music and remembering school activities, it has to be any of the years from 1967 to 1969.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 09/03/17 at 9:24 am

Written By: graciee on 09/16/17 at 9:46 am

I say that 2012 is the best year of my childhood. I moved to a new school. I made friends over there. I went to the mall for my 9th birthday. My friends and my mother came too. It was the year I met rainbowz in school. She asked if we could play at recess. I said yes and we went on the swings together. It was a very good year! ^_^

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/16/17 at 9:56 am

I say that 2012 is the best year of my childhood. I moved to a new school. I made friends over there. I went to the mall for my 9th birthday. My friends and my mother came too. It was the year I met rainbowz in school. She asked if we could play at recess. I said yes and we went on the swings together. It was a very good year! ^_^

Interesting to hear that you and Rainbowz know each other in person! That's pretty cool. :) I've thought about telling my friends about inthe00s on a few occasions, but then again, they probably wouldn't be interested in the forum. I don't think I would want them reading all of my posts anyway. :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/16/17 at 2:39 pm

For some reason I had a feeling you guys knew eachother :)!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/16/17 at 3:32 pm

The early 1980's.

Year NOT era or period.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/16/17 at 3:55 pm

For some reason I had a feeling you guys knew eachother :)!

Yeah I still remember when I first met her she was in my homeroom class and I sat next to her and I decided to tell her my name and stuff and then I asked if we could hang out at recess.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/16/17 at 4:17 pm

1998. It was the year I became the MJ fan I am now. I had been into Michael since 1995, but I hadn't really reached my peak until I saw Moonwalker on VHS and saw how MJ fans were, how they reacted to him and were so devoted and I realized these were MY people. He saved my life cause in 1998 I was close to killing myself anyway from bullying so Michael saved my life and gave me something to live for.

Written By: TheKid99 on 09/19/17 at 12:36 pm

I was really into the Weather Channel and my passion of weather stemmed from their.
My family was relatively stable. This year was probably the most stable it was ever at. We were in our golden age. That would last from around 2003 - 2009 oddly coinciding with my childhood.
We went on vacation for get this THREE WEEKS down at Sand Key, Clearwater, Florida. I was there for the last week with my Grandpa, my dad and my brother Jake. First and only Plane Ride I have ever been on.
I was still very precosious and innocent.
Enjoying the last days of Kindergarten spending mornings and afternoons after Kindergarten with my Grandpa.

I would have said 2007 but I had Myostitis in March which still affects me to this day (I have very weak calf muscles still as a result of that.) and almost died from it, kind of losing my innocence.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/19/17 at 10:58 pm

This is a Tough one....

My favorites are probably 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, & 2007

If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with 2006 for personal reasons, especially the 2005-2006 school year because it signified a lot of personal changes in my life (mostly positive). Between moving to a new state, going overseas for the first time, getting a GameCube (technically Late 2005, but eh it still counts 8)), playing on the Little League in my new town, I could go on and on. Late 2005 through 2006 was just jam packed of awesomeness.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/20/17 at 7:08 am

Here's all of my childhood years ranked.

1. 1994
2. 1996
3. 1998
4. 1997
5. 1993
6. 1995
7. 1999
8. 1992
9. 1991

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/20/17 at 3:50 pm

This is a Tough one....

My favorites are probably 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, & 2007

If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with 2006 for personal reasons, especially the 2005-2006 school year because it signified a lot of personal changes in my life (mostly positive). Between moving to a new state, going overseas for the first time, getting a GameCube (technically Late 2005, but eh it still counts 8)), playing on the Little League in my new town, I could go on and on. Late 2005 through 2006 was just jam packed of awesomeness.

The way you feel about the 2005-2006 school year is basically how I feel about the 2012-2013 school year.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/20/17 at 3:54 pm

The way you feel about the 2005-2006 school year is basically how I feel about the 2012-2013 school year.

...and the way you feel about the 2012-2013 is how I feel about the 2007 school year :)

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/20/17 at 5:00 pm

1999-2000.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/17 at 5:04 pm

I changed my mind, it's 1998.

Written By: 2001 on 09/21/17 at 10:58 am

Here's all of my childhood years ranked.

1. 1994
2. 1996
3. 1998
4. 1997
5. 1993
6. 1995
7. 1999
8. 1992
9. 1991

For me (by school year), it was

1. 2003-04
2. 2000-01
3. 1999-00
4. 1998-99
5. 1997-98
6. 2001-02
7. 2002-03
8. 2004-05
9. 2005-06

I think I made a list like this before. ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 09/21/17 at 11:10 am

I'm starting with 1996-1997 because that's the first full school year I fully remember, and I'm ending with 2003-2004 because my life changed so drastically, between having crushes on other girls for the first time, entering middle school (not to mention with a particularly strict teacher), starting to post things on the Internet, and being introduced to Dance Dance Revolution, which started an entirely new era of what I was into.

From best to worst...

2002-2003
1998-1999
2001-2002
2000-2001
2003-2004
1996-1997
1997-1998
1999-2000

I love the popular culture of this entire stretch of time, so the above rankings ate

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/21/17 at 4:53 pm

I guess if I were doing school years (so for me anything between 1999-2000 & 2007-2008) I'd rank them as:

1. 2005-2006 (such a great school year :D)

2. 2003-2004 (the absolute peak of my childhood and the last solid year for kid culture, once again another great school year :D)

3. 2002-2003 (good)

4. 2001-2002 (good, start of my core childhood)

5. 2000-2001 (good, first school year I have clear memories from)

6. 2004-2005 (good, although not as memorable as 03'-04' or 05'-06')

7. 1999-2000 (decent, but that has mostly to do that I don't remember this school year as clearly as subsequent years, but from what I do remember it was pretty fun)

8. 2007-2008 (decent, I was in middle school at this time so my childhood was coming to a close)

9. 2006-2007 (ehhh...culturally I started to phase out of kid culture by this point and my personal life wasn't the greatest)

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/17 at 5:10 pm

Ranking by school year. going back to 1996..

1997-98
1996-97
2002-03
2003-04
1998-99
2001-02
1999-00
2000-01

I could go back farther, but it's really hard to compare early elementary school with junior high and high school.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/21/17 at 5:19 pm

My rank for school years would be:

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/21/17 at 6:31 pm

The ranking of my childhood years (using the 3-12 definition):

1. 2007
2. 2008
3. 2011
4. 2010
5. 2009
6. 2003
7. 2006
8. 2004
9. 2005
10. 2002

Even though my childhood years are ranked, none of my childhood years were "horrible". For the most part, I liked all of my childhood.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/21/17 at 6:34 pm

The ranking of my childhood years (using the 3-12 definition):

1. 2007
2. 2008
3. 2011
4. 2010
5. 2009
6. 2003
7. 2006
8. 2004
9. 2005
10. 2002

Even though my childhood years are ranked, none of my childhood years were "horrible". For the most part, I liked all of my childhood.

Using that definiton I would say:

:)

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/21/17 at 6:48 pm

I guess if I were doing school years (so for me anything between 1999-2000 & 2007-2008) I'd rank them as:

1. 2005-2006 (such a great school year :D)

2. 2003-2004 (the absolute peak of my childhood and the last solid year for kid culture, once again another great school year :D)

3. 2002-2003 (good)

4. 2001-2002 (good, start of my core childhood)

5. 2000-2001 (good, first school year I have clear memories from)

6. 2004-2005 (good, although not as memorable as 03'-04' or 05'-06')

7. 1999-2000 (decent, but that has mostly to do that I don't remember this school year as clearly as subsequent years, but from what I do remember it was pretty fun)

8. 2007-2008 (decent, I was in middle school at this time so my childhood was coming to a close)

9. 2006-2007 (ehhh...culturally I started to phase out of kid culture by this point and my personal life wasn't the greatest)

Hey Zelda, since you like Star Wars, would it be possible for you to participate in my Clone Wars thread?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56108.0

Written By: prodanny288 on 09/22/17 at 11:23 am

My best to worst childhood years ranked
2007 (best. I met new friends, went to Disney world, my sister was born)
2012 (got bullied at school this year and I was depressed)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/22/17 at 11:52 am

Hey Zelda, since you like Star Wars, would it be possible for you to participate in my Clone Wars thread?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56108.0

I already voted in that thread, I'll say the left.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/22/17 at 11:53 am

BTW Zelek what were your favorite school years?

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/22/17 at 4:24 pm

BTW Zelek what were your favorite school years?

2003-2004 (I may've said it before). That year had the perfect mix of early 2000s kid culture and mid 2000s kid culture coming in, before things got a little mediocre around 2005/2006.

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/17 at 10:49 pm

I'm starting with 1996-1997 because that's the first full school year I fully remember, and I'm ending with 2003-2004 because my life changed so drastically, between having crushes on other girls for the first time, entering middle school (not to mention with a particularly strict teacher), starting to post things on the Internet, and being introduced to Dance Dance Revolution, which started an entirely new era of what I was into.

From best to worst...

2002-2003
1998-1999
2001-2002
2000-2001
2003-2004
1996-1997
1997-1998
1999-2000

I love the popular culture of this entire stretch of time, so the above rankings ate

I was in school for 1996-97, but my memories of then are a bit shaky. :(

Ranking by school year. going back to 1996..

1997-98
1996-97
2002-03
2003-04
1998-99
2001-02
1999-00
2000-01

I could go back farther, but it's really hard to compare early elementary school with junior high and high school.

Oh, I was ranking my elementary/middle school years. The early 2000s were your high school years, right? For my high school years,  2006-07 was probably better than 2002-03 (Grade 5), and 2007-08 was even better. 2008-09 was the worst year of my school career, and 2009-10 was the best (quite the turn around :D).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/17 at 4:19 am

2003-2004 (I may've said it before). That year had the perfect mix of early 2000s kid culture and mid 2000s kid culture coming in, before things got a little mediocre around 2005/2006.

I agree! 2003-2004 was hands down my favorite school year from a cultural perspective, also my second favorite for my personal life. 2005-2006 was my favorite based on my personal life, although it was when kid culture was decent, but was when it was kind of going downhill for me with Nick solidly in its Bronze, CN's City Era evolving into the mini 'Yes' era, the premiere of Hannah Montana on DC (need I say more...?) and Toon Disney being mostly just DC/Jetix reruns. However, cause my personal life was so badass during this school year, it totally makes up for the mediocrity.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/24/17 at 9:53 pm

I agree! 2003-2004 was hands down my favorite school year from a cultural perspective, also my second favorite for my personal life. 2005-2006 was my favorite based on my personal life, although it was when kid culture was decent, but was when it was kind of going downhill for me with Nick solidly in its Bronze, CN's City Era evolving into the mini 'Yes' era, the premiere of Hannah Montana on DC (need I say more...?) and Toon Disney being mostly just DC/Jetix reruns. However, cause my personal life was so badass during this school year, it totally makes up for the mediocrity.

Out of the shows CN had during the mid 2000s (Camp Lazlo, Juniper Lee, Puffy amiyumi, etc.), which ones did you like (if any)?

Written By: annimal on 09/24/17 at 11:07 pm

now 

Check for new replies or respond here...