inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First Eminem song you heard?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 12:21 am

The title says it all. For me, it was this one. I can't believe he's still in business after almost 20 years. It seems like he was rising to popularity just yesterday.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fa6MtfZ2-cM

Now I have heard this one Eminem is featured in, and it's the bomb :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=De5xPoTpV_4

Subject: Re: First Eminem song you heard?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 12:26 am

I'm the same....the first Eminem song I heard was "My Name Is" 8).

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/17 at 12:31 am

The real slim shady from 2000.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/17 at 12:47 am

"Without Me." A slightly sped-up version appeared on my mom's aerobics tape in 2002.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 12:48 am

"Without Me." A slightly sped-up version appeared on my mom's aerobics tape in 2002.

A little sidenote, people still did aerobics in 2002? :o

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/17 at 1:41 am

A little sidenote, people still did aerobics in 2002? :o

They still do it now. My mom has been teaching classes since the Fonda days and she continues to do so still.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 1:44 am

They still do it now. My mom has been teaching classes since the Fonda days and she continues to do so still.

Wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool :).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/17/17 at 2:15 am

I think the first Eminem song I had ever heard was "Without Me". I don't like any of his songs though.

Without Me - Eminem (2002)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/17 at 7:08 am

The first song that I heard from him was "Without Me".

Written By: mqg96 on 04/17/17 at 9:06 am

I can't recall if I ever realized it. Eminem didn't catch my attention until "Not Afraid" came out in 2010. His "Recovery" album came out that same summer with more epic songs. "Recovery" and "The Marshall Mathers LP 2" contain my favorite Eminem songs of all time.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/17/17 at 9:13 am

The earliest vague memory I can recall of Eminem is this song. It sounds familiar from my earliest memories if anybody in my family ever played it, but it still didn't have an impact on me as getting into Eminem towards the end of middle school.

eJO5HU_7_1w

Written By: bchris02 on 04/17/17 at 10:33 am

I think I probably heard My Name Is... in 1999 but it didn't catch my attention.  The song that made me a fan was The Real Slim Shady in 2000.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/17/17 at 10:41 am

I think I probably heard My Name Is... in 1999 but it didn't catch my attention.  The song that made me a fan was The Real Slim Shady in 2000.

It's amazing how big Eminem was in the Y2K era. I was in 8th grade in 2000-01, and I swear every kid in my class owned The Marshall Mathers LP. I don't think any artists can reach that kind of popularity anymore.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/17/17 at 12:42 pm

His first song when first came out. I was cool with him until he parodied MJ and a whole flock of us jumped ship on him.

Plus he's pretty misogynistic anyways...and I'm not a huge fan of rap in general.

I do stay aware of him because my favorite makeup artist has "Slim Shady" tattooed on her chest and it shows up all the time as she's doing tutorials. (she also paid like 600 dollars for a brick from his house, in a now-deleted Youtube video)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/1e/c7/91/1ec7917ccf1736c1c79be2e810f59a01.jpg
She's real nice and cool.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/17 at 1:05 pm

It's amazing how big Eminem was in the Y2K era. I was in 8th grade in 2000-01, and I swear every kid in my class owned The Marshall Mathers LP. I don't think any artists can reach that kind of popularity anymore.

It's rare these days. Only Adele, and maybe Taylor Swift can still sell records.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/17/17 at 2:43 pm

I agree.  I think similar artists do come along from time to time.  They are a sensation that completely changes music and lays a foundation for much of what is to come.

Lady Gaga was the last one, in the early '10s.  I think Eminem was to '00s music what Lady Gaga was to '10s music.  Eminem really brought hip-hop into full acceptance in Top 40.  There was a lot of hip-hop in the '90s, but it wasn't nearly as widespread as the '00s and a lot of conservative Top 40 stations didn't include hip-hop in their rotation back then.  All of that changed after Eminem's debut.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:48 pm

I agree.  I think similar artists do come along from time to time.  They are a sensation that completely changes music and lays a foundation for much of what is to come.

Lady Gaga was the last one, in the early '10s.  I think Eminem was to '00s music what Lady Gaga was to '10s music.  Eminem really brought hip-hop into full acceptance in Top 40.  There was a lot of hip-hop in the '90s, but it wasn't nearly as widespread as the '00s and a lot of conservative Top 40 stations didn't include hip-hop in their rotation back then.  All of that changed after Eminem's debut.

I wouldn't say that......:-\\.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 2:49 pm

What hip-hop person or group would you say brought hip-hop into full acceptance in Top 40?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:52 pm

What hip-hop person or group would you say brought hip-hop into full acceptance in Top 40?

That's hard to say but we can't just give all the credit to Eminem.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/17/17 at 2:53 pm

Being born in '99, you probably don't remember the era.

Before Eminem, specifically the Marshall Mathers LP, hip-hop was popular but was seen as rebellious and a lot of Top 40 stations shied away from it.  That all changed in 2000.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:57 pm

Being born in '99, you probably don't remember the era.

Before Eminem, specifically the Marshall Mathers LP, hip-hop was popular but was seen as rebellious and a lot of Top 40 stations shied away from it.  That all changed in 2000.

1999 and 2000 weren't the years 1989 and 1990. By the late '90s hip hop was already accepted in the Top 40 but maybe it's due to the fact that you grew up in rural Missouri why you see it that way.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/17/17 at 3:01 pm

1999 and 2000 weren't the years 1989 and 1990. By the late '90s hip hop was already accepted in the Top 40 but maybe it's due to the fact that you grew up in rural Missouri why you see it that way.

This is somewhat true.  You had to be lucky enough to live near a station that was classified as "Rhythmic Top 40" to hear a lot of hip-hop hits.  There was one in Kansas City I could pick up sometimes, but the main Top 40 station, 107.3 Kiss FM played R&B but barely played any hip-hop through most of the decade.

EDIT: Also remember that this was before streaming online radio, so you were pretty much stuck with the radio stations that were in your area.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 3:05 pm

This is somewhat true.  You had to be lucky enough to live near a station that was classified as "Rhythmic Top 40" to hear a lot of hip-hop hits.  There was one in Kansas City I could pick up sometimes, but the main Top 40 station, 107.3 Kiss FM played R&B but barely played any hip-hop through most of the decade.

EDIT: Also remember that this was before streaming online radio, so you were pretty much stuck with the radio stations that were in your area.

Yeah and in 1995...."Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio ft. L.V. was #1 on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of that year ('95).

Written By: Ripley on 04/18/17 at 12:37 am

My Name Is....

I still remember all the words  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/17 at 3:44 am

That one with Dido, I have forgotten the title now.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/03/17 at 4:14 am

That one with Dido, I have forgotten the title now.

It's called Stan.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/17 at 4:15 am

It's called Stan.
Thank you!

Written By: 80sfan on 05/03/17 at 4:27 am

I always liked the Dido song, by itself too.  8)
Dido's song was called Thank You.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/17 at 4:30 am

I always liked the Dido song, by itself too.  8)
Dido's song was called Thank You.
I thought that rang a bell with me...

Check for new replies or respond here...