inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late '90s/early '00s rappers still at it?

Written By: bchris02 on 04/17/17 at 10:38 am

The Eminem thread got me thinking about this.  What rappers were popular in the late '90s and early '00s that are still relevant today?  In order to be "relevant," I would say they have to have had an album or at least a hit within the past two years.  Here are the ones I can think of.

Eminem
Diddy
Snoop Dogg
Jay-Z
Dr. Dre
Ice Cube
E-40

Who else?

Subject: Re: Late '90s/early '00s rappers still at it?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/17/17 at 10:44 am

Is Xzibit still around anymore? "X" is one of the most underrated Y2K era rap songs to me, but I'm not sure if he's still making albums anymore, and I'm too lazy to check.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/17 at 11:19 am

The charts these days are more prejudiced than ever against elder musicians in favor of babyfaces. It's a very different situation from even the mid-2000s, when LL Cool J could still score big hits almost two decades after Bigger and Deffer catapulted him into the mainstream.

To be honest, almost every single rapper still commercially relevant right now broke into the mainstream this decade or at the end of the last decade. The examples bchris02 listed don't count because even though their most recent albums may have done well during their first week, they had no staying power due to producing no real hit singles while crap like "Panda" continues to reign supreme. Eminem could probably release another pop success, but his last song was from about 3 years ago, beyond bchris02's 2-year cutoff.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 3:01 pm

I think those are the only artists from that era that are still popular. The rest of them either died or retired from rap, and have moved on to other projects. I wanna say Ludacris, but I think he's done.

The charts these days are more prejudiced than ever against elder musicians in favor of babyfaces. It's a very different situation from even the mid-2000s, when LL Cool J could still score big hits almost two decades after Bigger and Deffer catapulted him into the mainstream.

To be honest, almost every single rapper still commercially relevant right now broke into the mainstream this decade or at the end of the last decade. The examples bchris02 listed don't count because even though their most recent albums may have done well during their first week, they had no staying power due to producing no real hit singles while crap like "Panda" continues to reign supreme. Eminem could probably release another pop success, but his last song was from about 3 years ago, beyond bchris02's 2-year cutoff.
Yeah, I have noticed that. The people who are currently popular are those in their teens, 20s and 30s with very little over 40. I think a few years ago was the last time an artist from 10-20 years ago could still have hits. Jay-Z, Beyonce (maybe), Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey and Britney (maybe as well) are pretty much beyond that cutoff.

I really hope songs like Panda disappear soon as there are very few trap songs I like. That sub-genre seems to have taken over music where it's almost everywhere.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/17/17 at 3:09 pm

I think those are the only artists from that era that are still popular. The rest of them either died or retired from rap, and have moved on to other projects. I wanna say Ludacris, but I think he's done.
Yeah, I have noticed that. The people who are currently popular are those in their teens, 20s and 30s with very little over 40. I think a few years ago was the last time an artist from 10-20 years ago could still have hits. Jay-Z, Beyonce (maybe), Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey and Britney (maybe as well) are pretty much beyond that cutoff.

I really hope songs like Panda disappear soon as there are very few trap songs I like. That sub-genre seems to have taken over music where it's almost everywhere.

You have some good points here.

Ludacris was still popular in the early '10s (he was like Pitbull in that he was featured in quite a few electropop songs) but the last Ludacris song I remember to receive significant Top 40 airplay was in late 2012.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 3:34 pm

You have some good points here.

Ludacris was still popular in the early '10s (he was like Pitbull in that he was featured in quite a few electropop songs) but the last Ludacris song I remember to receive significant Top 40 airplay was in late 2012.
I'm hoping the music scene changes soon because aside from some songs, it has been awful.

And that was 5 years ago. Yeah, he's pretty much retired.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/17 at 3:37 pm

I don't mind rap, I just want adult contemporary to come back. I like variety.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/17 at 5:08 pm

One particularly surprising comeback in 2015 was Shaggy, whose song "I Need Your Love," while nowhere near as big as "It Wasn't Me," made it into the top 10 of some European countries and even did quite respectably in the United States by peaking at #20 on the Mainstream Top 40, a miraculous feat for such an idiosyncratic musician whose first major hit was in 1995 with "Boombastic," or 1993 with "Oh Carolina," depending on where you live. I know Shaggy isn't technically a rapper, but he still gets generally classified in the same broad category as other pop-urban music acts as Pitbull and the like. Shaggy's career is particularly peculiar though because he already made one significant comeback at the turn of 2001 with "It Wasn't Me" and "Angel," following the failure of Midnite Lover in 1997, before fading into obscurity again after 2002's Lucky Day. How Shaggy was able to make a decent impact on the pop charts in 2015 is almost beyond my understanding, especially since "I Need Your Love" had no parent album to promote itself. It was even followed by another minor, yet still charting Mainstream Top 40 hit with "Only Love."

Here are the songs, for reference:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2E4UpyTvBfs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xVKsJ2hPM_I

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/17/17 at 5:29 pm

THIS. It seems like since the 2010's Adult Contemporary has been kind of supplanted by generic top 40 pop.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 5:36 pm

THIS. It seems like since the 2010's Adult Contemporary has been kind of supplanted by generic top 40 pop.
I think it will make a comeback. It maybe needed a break like Rock did after dominating for decades.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/17/17 at 9:32 pm

I posted a thread on this a while back.

Adult Contemporary was primarily targeted at baby boomers who grew up in the '70s and '80s.  They were dissatisfied with the more edgy, rebellious direction music was headed in the '90s and sort of had their own genre of Top 40 in its place.  That's why it mostly consisted of slower ballads by the likes of Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Elton John, etc.  I don't think that kind of adult contemporary ever will make a comeback.  The reason is today's adults...Millennials..aren't big fans of that kind of music.  Many like it for the nostalgia factor but it will be hard to sell it the way AC as we know it was sold to baby boomers in the '80s and '90s.  Today, "AC" stations are mostly where contemporary hits go to die after they have been played out on Top 40 stations.

The only way I can see AC coming back is if Top 40 goes through a radical transformation like it did in the early '90s.  Even then, it will likely stick closer to the sounds of the '00s and '10s as opposed to '80s and '90s ballads.

Written By: Ripley on 04/18/17 at 12:38 am

Is Xzibit still around anymore? "X" is one of the most underrated Y2K era rap songs to me, but I'm not sure if he's still making albums anymore, and I'm too lazy to check.

He's not been very active in Rap for the last several years. He was more focused on other stuff like Pimp My Ride.

Written By: Ripley on 04/18/17 at 12:40 am

I wish LL was still big in Rap. But he's had a lot of success with acting. And ovcourse Lip Sync Battle. Which is great cause he's still Cool James  :)

Written By: bchris02 on 04/18/17 at 1:31 am

He's not been very active in Rap for the last several years. He was more focused on other stuff like Pimp My Ride.

Xzibit hasn't really had any big hits since the early '00s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/18/17 at 11:23 am

Adult Contemporary was primarily targeted at baby boomers who grew up in the '70s and '80s.  They were dissatisfied with the more edgy, rebellious direction music was headed in the '90s and sort of had their own genre of Top 40 in its place.  That's why it mostly consisted of slower ballads by the likes of Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Elton John, etc.  I don't think that kind of adult contemporary ever will make a comeback.  The reason is today's adults...Millennials..aren't big fans of that kind of music.  Many like it for the nostalgia factor but it will be hard to sell it the way AC as we know it was sold to baby boomers in the '80s and '90s.  Today, "AC" stations are mostly where contemporary hits go to die after they have been played out on Top 40 stations.

The only way I can see AC coming back is if Top 40 goes through a radical transformation like it did in the early '90s.  Even then, it will likely stick closer to the sounds of the '00s and '10s as opposed to '80s and '90s ballads.

Do you suppose there's any chance (if music were to, say, go in a drastically different direction in the 2020's) that a new wave of Adult Contemporary could emerge as Millennials get older?

I've been thinking about this lately. I mean, lets face it, us Gen Yers aren't getting any younger. I'm about to turn 30, and I'm considered a Peak Millennial, some of the older ones are getting close to 40. The 2010's are going to be the last decade in which Gen Y has any major impact on popular culture, in the 2020's, we will be firmly the "adult generation". Let's say some odd new genre of music becomes really popular around 2024 or so, just as Peak Millennials begin to hit their 40s. I could see a scenario where a more modern version of Adult Contemporary targeted at '80s and '90s babies begins to emerge.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/18/17 at 2:01 pm

Do you suppose there's any chance (if music were to, say, go in a drastically different direction in the 2020's) that a new wave of Adult Contemporary could emerge as Millennials get older?

I've been thinking about this lately. I mean, lets face it, us Gen Yers aren't getting any younger. I'm about to turn 30, and I'm considered a Peak Millennial, some of the older ones are getting close to 40. The 2010's are going to be the last decade in which Gen Y has any major impact on popular culture, in the 2020's, we will be firmly the "adult generation". Let's say some odd new genre of music becomes really popular around 2024 or so, just as Peak Millennials begin to hit their 40s. I could see a scenario where a more modern version of Adult Contemporary targeted at '80s and '90s babies begins to emerge.

This is exactly what I am predicting.

However, the new "adult contemporary" that emerges will probably not sound anything like Michael Bolton, George Michael, Celine Dion, etc.  It will probably be heavily influenced by '00s and '10s music just like the last wave of AC was heavily influenced by the '80s, long after the decade ended.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/18/17 at 2:31 pm

Then I'll probably be listening to Gen Z targeted music instead. I want to hear something totally new.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/19/17 at 10:16 am

I'll throw in Ludacris as a curveball. Dude's especially relevant because his character is needed in the Fast And The Furious franchise. He's fun to work with from what I heard.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/19/17 at 11:38 am

I'll throw in Ludacris as a curveball. Dude's especially relevant because his character is needed in the Fast And The Furious franchise. He's fun to work with from what I heard.

He hasn't had any hits since late 2012 though.  I would love to see him return to contemporary hip-hop as I always liked most of his stuff.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/19/17 at 12:28 pm

Will Smith is still famous today, and his first hit was in 1988. That doesn't mean anybody has bought his music since 2005, though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 12:34 pm

Will Smith is still famous today, and his first hit was in 1988. That doesn't mean anybody has bought his music since 2005, though.
I was going to say him, but I think he is more relevant with his movies than this songs.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/19/17 at 12:48 pm

I was going to say him, but I think he is more relevant with his movies than this songs.

Precisely, he's in the same boat as Ludacris, Ice Cube, and LL Cool J in that sense.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 12:52 pm

Precisely, he's in the same boat as Ludacris, Ice Cube, and LL Cool J in that sense.
Yeah, you could say that. I honestly don't think any rappers from that time are still popular today. Besides, rap/hip-hop in some way is a young person's game.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 12:58 pm

I heard that DMX is now a pastor and is preaching "God's word" ;D ;D ;D.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/19/17 at 2:35 pm

He has always been a devoutly religious man, aggressive as he is. Going all the way back to his first album, his stories centered heavily around themes of faith and the difficulty of employing it in such a dog-eat-dog world as he came from.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 2:38 pm

He has always been a devoutly religious man, aggressive as he is. Going all the way back to his first album, his stories centered heavily around themes of faith and the difficulty of employing it in such a dog-eat-dog world as he came from.

I never knew that (thanks for telling me ;))....but to me it's just funny that he went from a "thuggish" rapper to a pastor ;D.

Written By: Ripley on 04/19/17 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, he hasn't been relevent as a rapper since Willineum and that was 1999. I know he released another album in 2002 with "Nod Ya Head" on it but it wasn't popular at all.

Written By: Ripley on 04/19/17 at 2:53 pm

Yeah he went from Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood to "Our Father Who Art In Heaven". MC Hammer and Mase did as well. Except Mase came back for a minute. But R&B artist Montell Jordan is a church man now as well.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 2:55 pm

Yeah he went from Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood to "Our Father Who Art In Heaven". MC Hammer and Mase did as well. Except Mase came back for a minute. But R&B artist Montell Jordan is a church man now as well.

;D ;D ;D It's the circle of LIFE!!!!

Written By: Ripley on 04/19/17 at 3:08 pm

Maybe they should all get together and make a Gospel record.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 3:09 pm

Maybe they should all get together and make a Gospel record.

Yes ;D.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/19/17 at 5:15 pm

Yeah, he hasn't been relevent as a rapper since Willineum and that was 1999. I know he released another album in 2002 with "Nod Ya Head" on it but it wasn't popular at all.

He did make a comeback in 2005 (like an unusually large amount of music acts that year...) with the Timbaland-produced "Switch" and, in some territories, "Party Starter," but the parent album, Lost and Found, earned lukewarm critical and commercial reception, and he's since focused solely on acting.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 5:40 pm

I enjoyed listening to his music.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 5:56 pm

My favorite Will Smith songs are:

1. "Summertime" (1991) - He was then known as The Fresh Prince and did this with DJ Jazzy Jeff
2. "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" (1998)
3. "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Theme Song" (1990)
4. "Miami" (1998)

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/19/17 at 7:44 pm

He hasn't had any hits since late 2012 though.  I would love to see him return to contemporary hip-hop as I always liked most of his stuff.

Just when you think of Southern rappers, he's in the first 3 that comes to mind.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/19/17 at 9:42 pm

1. "Summertime" (1991) - He was then known as The Fresh Prince and did this with DJ Jazzy Jeff
4. "Miami" (1998)

'Just the two of us' is kind of cheesy.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 9:48 pm

'Just the two of us' is kind of cheesy.

Nah, "Miami" is a cheesy song even "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" but they were catchy. "Just the Two of Us" is not a bad song but it's not catchy.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/19/17 at 11:12 pm

Nah, "Miami" is a cheesy song even "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" but they were catchy. "Just the Two of Us" is not a bad song but it's not catchy.

Just The Two Of Us is pretty catchy, yessir! 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 11:39 pm

Just The Two Of Us is pretty catchy, yessir! 8)

Not really but it's a "heartwarming" song.

Written By: Ripley on 04/21/17 at 3:58 pm

4. "Miami" (1998)

I like "Nightmare On My Street" 😂

Written By: nally on 04/21/17 at 4:00 pm

4. "Miami" (1998)

I like "Nightmare On My Street"

Good choices. I liked "Men In Black", the title song from a movie he starred in 20 years ago.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 4:06 pm

I like "Nightmare On My Street" 😂

I've never heard of that song.

Good choices. I liked "Men In Black", the title song from a movie he starred in 20 years ago.

Me too and Men In Black was a great movie 8).

Written By: nally on 04/21/17 at 4:08 pm

I've never heard of that song.

"Nightmare On My Street" was a song he recorded in 1987 as a member of DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince. It appears on their album He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. The song was a modest hit in summer 1988.

Me too and Men In Black was a great movie 8).

Glad you agree. O0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 4:12 pm

"Nightmare On My Street" was a song he recorded in 1987 as a member of DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince. It appears on their album He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. The song was a modest hit in summer 1988.

Glad you agree. O0

Thanks for the info about "Nightmare On My Street" :).

Oh and no problem. BTW, do you think a Men In Black 4 will happen?

Written By: nally on 04/21/17 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for the info about "Nightmare On My Street" :).

Oh and no problem. BTW, do you think a Men In Black 4 will happen?

I have no idea.

Written By: Ripley on 04/21/17 at 10:23 pm

Glad you agree. O0

And it poked fun at Freddy Krueger 😜

Written By: Ripley on 04/21/17 at 10:24 pm

I'm still waiting on Bad Boys For Life!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 10:26 pm

I'm still waiting on Bad Boys For Life!

Me too....I heard that it got postponed until November 2018.

Written By: Ripley on 04/21/17 at 11:09 pm

Me too....I heard that it got postponed until November 2018.

Damn! The whole filming? Or just the release date?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 11:17 pm

Damn! The whole filming? Or just the release date?

The release date.....for now, it's Nov. 9, 2018.

Written By: Ripley on 04/22/17 at 9:41 pm

Well I look forward to that! I wonder when the filming begins. Will doesn't seem to be as active these days even with his acting.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 10:17 pm

Well I look forward to that! I wonder when the filming begins. Will doesn't seem to be as active these days even with his acting.

It's supposed to start filiming this month in Atlanta and then film in Miami, of course 8).

Written By: Ripley on 04/22/17 at 10:57 pm

It's supposed to start filiming this month in Atlanta and then film in Miami, of course 8).

I remember as a kid the first movie was one of my favorites. The car line though... "Just a shiny d!ck with two chairs in it. I guess we the balls just draggin' the f*ck along." 😂

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 11:00 pm

I remember as a kid the first movie was one of my favorites. The car line though... "Just a shiny d!ck with two chairs in it. I guess we the balls just draggin' the f*ck along." 😂

;D I know....that movie was hilarious. Will and Martin have excellent chemistry together.

Check for new replies or respond here...