inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Did You First Get Cable?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/18/17 at 11:32 am

I've mentioned before that my parents didn't get cable until around 1994, and up to that point all we had to watch on TV was just the four broadcast networks and PBS. I used to think that we were really late in getting cable, as most folks seemed to have it by 1990 or so, but now I'm not sure. I've seen some people on this site say they didn't get cable until the 2000's, which is very surprising to me.

Do you remember when you (or your parents) first got cable?

Subject: Re: When Did You First Get Cable?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/18/17 at 12:12 pm

Believe it or not, around 2007 was when my family truly started using cable.

Throughout 2004-2006, sometimes we'd use cable, other times we won't.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/17 at 12:48 pm

From my father's case, he probably got it around the mid 1970s. He already subscribed to HBO since 1977 and he hasn't stopped watching their stuff ever since. My mom mostly grew up with broadcast TV, so she relied on my dad (when he was her fiancee) when she moved in with her. I already grew up with cable by the time I was born, so I never really had a day without cable (for the most part).

Written By: Howard on 04/18/17 at 3:27 pm

I think the early to mid 2000's is when we first got our cable.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/18/17 at 3:43 pm

I'm pretty sure we've had cable tv as long as I can remember. I can't ever recall a time we didn't have our big black television, which my parents apparently bought in the early 90s, but even taking that out the equation, we used to own a second, smaller cable television set that sat in my parents' bedroom. That said, we simultaneously held on to our small, old-fashioned 70s/80s television for my dad's workout purposes until the mid-2000s, when we replaced it with a larger and newer set.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/18/17 at 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure we've had cable tv as long as I can remember. I can't ever recall a time we didn't have our big black television, which my parents apparently bought in the early 90s, but even taking that out the equation, we used to own a second, smaller cable television set that sat in my parents' bedroom. That said, we simultaneously held on to our small, old-fashioned 70s/80s television for my dad's workout purposes until the mid-2000s, when we replaced it with a larger and newer set.

My parents TV when I was a young kid looked like this.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/40444798_614.jpg

They didn't get a new one until 1996. I used to have to play my video games on that thing. >:(

Written By: nally on 04/18/17 at 6:52 pm

In 2001, when we moved into our new home. The house was prewired for cable TV, so we have been able to enjoy that aspect.

I think our first system had the Adelphia provider...which was eventually bought out by another company. (Yep, ten years ago, after it went defunct, its services were taken over by Time Warner.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/17 at 6:54 pm

They didn't get a new one until 1996. I used to have to play my video games on that thing. >:(

Wow. No wonder why you got an NES as your first console. That thing at least had major support for RF cables.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/18/17 at 7:34 pm

My parents subscribed to Pay-TV (cable) during the same year that it became available in the country. Cable TV was only launched in Australia in 1995. It was viewed as being pretty revolutionary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1htarIoSOiw

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/17 at 7:46 pm

My parents subscribed to Pay-TV (cable) during the same year that it became available in the country. Cable TV was only launched in Australia in 1995. It was viewed as being pretty revolutionary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1htarIoSOiw

Wow. Australians had to get cable during the mid 90s? That has to be a long time for TV enthusiasts in that country.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/18/17 at 7:52 pm

Wow. Australians had to get cable during the mid 90s? That has to be a long time for TV enthusiasts in that country.

Yep. Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Fox Sports and MTV all didn't exist prior to 1995. Although, the MTV brand did exist as a program between 1987-1993 on one of the free-to-air networks.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/17 at 8:40 pm

Yep. Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Fox Sports and MTV all didn't exist prior to 1995. Although, the MTV brand did exist as a program between 1987-1993 on one of the free-to-air networks.

That seems pretty late for a first-world country. Although it takes time to have cable if a certain country likes having TV in their households.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/18/17 at 10:36 pm

We had sporadically during my earlier childhood years. However, (not for the debbie downer) immediately after the 9/11 attacks we got Cable in our household permanently due to the loss of TV signals from the area. The major antenna in the area was on top of the North Tower and obviously was destroyed, amongst other communication issues. I vividly remember us getting Direct TV a month later, we have had various cable/satellite providers consistently ever since...

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/18/17 at 11:26 pm

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/19/17 at 4:45 am

I think we always had it?

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 4:54 am

What is that on top? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/17 at 6:39 am

We had sporadically during my earlier childhood years. However, (not for the debbie downer) immediately after the 9/11 attacks we got Cable in our household permanently due to the loss of TV signals from the area. The major antenna in the area was on top of the North Tower and obviously was destroyed, amongst other communication issues. I vividly remember us getting Direct TV a month later, we have had various cable/satellite providers consistently ever since...

Damn. They should've gave your family an offer after the 9/11 attacks. Just saying.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/19/17 at 7:11 am

My parents have had cable as long as I can remember. You can have regular or basic cable but not have digital cable with a lot of premium channels. All still considered as cable.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/19/17 at 10:12 am

I can't exactly remember. I just know its somewhere around 96. I started watching Nickelodeon at that time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/19/17 at 10:29 am

What is that on top? ???

I don't know. It kind of looks like a cable box. That's actually not a picture of my parents TV, just a similar looking one from the internet. ;)

Written By: d90 on 04/19/17 at 11:56 am

My parents had cable in the early 1980s but it kept going out so they switched back to regular broadcast tv till 2005 when i got Direct Tv

Written By: nally on 04/19/17 at 1:01 pm

I can't exactly remember. I just know its somewhere around 96. I started watching Nickelodeon at that time.

I first watched Nick in the late 80's at a friend's house.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/19/17 at 1:06 pm

I've mentioned before that my parents didn't get cable until around 1994, and up to that point all we had to watch on TV was just the four broadcast networks and PBS. I used to think that we were really late in getting cable, as most folks seemed to have it by 1990 or so, but now I'm not sure. I've seen some people on this site say they didn't get cable until the 2000's, which is very surprising to me.

Do you remember when you (or your parents) first got cable?

Still better than me. Our family didn't get cable until late 2008.

Written By: aja675 on 04/25/17 at 1:27 am

I'm reminded of this line from this one Aussie show I'm obsessed with: “Some of you come from povo families, but that’s not your fault. Some of you, I know, don’t even have Foxtel.” I thought that as usual, the character was just exaggerating her new public school classmates' poverty, but it turns out the penetration of pay TV only reached 50% in Australia less than five years ago and that in 2012, it was only 28%. (Then again, I'm from a country where the penetration of pay TV is 15%, but if your peers are at least middle class, it's easy to forget that. I wonder if that was also the case in pre-streaming Australia.)

Written By: nally on 03/08/21 at 11:29 pm

Still better than me. Our family didn't get cable until late 2008.

It was around that time when we got our first HD television set.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/09/21 at 12:14 am

I don't know. It kind of looks like a cable box. That's actually not a picture of my parents TV, just a similar looking one from the internet. ;)

I’d say cable box. A TV like that was more than likely not cable ready.

Myself, I never had cable at my folks house. I first really got to watch cable for a length of time in the hospital in 1985. Then again in 1991.

First time I really had cable was in college from 1994-1996. Then at my old house I used my satellite dish which was essentially cable without local channels.

My dad ended up getting dish or direct, whichever will give him the best deal.

Now I don’t pay for TV. There’s more free stuff out there than I have time to watch.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/09/21 at 12:51 am

1990. I was 10 years old. It was called Dimension Cable. I think they went out of business in the mid 90s. We use to have one of those TVs from the 90s with a built in VCR. But in our house we always had a separate VCR as well. 

Written By: karen on 03/09/21 at 4:17 pm

Cable tv is not really a thing in the U.K. People do have satellite tv which is the same sort of thing I guess. We don’t though. We just have what ever free to air channels are available via Freeview

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/21 at 4:59 pm

I got cable in 1987 when I first moved into my own place (which is incidentally where I live now).  I was quite happy with them for the first few years - then my service got sold, and sold again.  It's now Comcast.  Not so thrilled with them these days, just too lazy to make a change.  :-\\

Subject: When Did You First Get Cable?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/15/21 at 12:21 am

Late 70s or early 80s,I cant remember really but it was beautiful!!!

Channels 2-36 of beautiful analogue programming!!!

Now we have channels 1-1999+ with nothing but mostly crap :(

Written By: Howard on 03/15/21 at 4:13 am

Probably it was mid to late 1980's.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/15/21 at 11:22 am

Late 70s or early 80s,I cant remember really but it was beautiful!!!

Channels 2-36 of beautiful analogue programming!!!

Now we have channels 1-1999+ with nothing but mostly crap :(

Up until the mid 2000s I had analog master feeds on my c band dish. It was beautiful.

I still get tons of channels on FTA but it’s all digital. Which is fine as long as it’s tuned in perfectly.

Check for new replies or respond here...