inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the first U.S. Presidential Election you voted in or can vote in?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 3:11 pm

Just a simple thread...........which Presidential election was it?

Since I was born in 1999, I haven't been able to vote in a U.S. Presidential election yet but that will come to an end in 2020 (I will be 21 years old).

Also, if you're not American....then for the sake of this thread just pretend that you are American and tell me what Presidential election/elections you could vote in (Voting age in the U.S. is 18) For Presidential elections, the earliest possible date is November 2 and the latest possible date is November 8....also they happen every 4 years (the most recent one being last year in 2016 and there will not be another one until 2020, then 2024, then 2028, etc).

Share the first one you were able to vote in (even if you don't vote)

Subject: Re: What is the first U.S. Presidential Election you voted in or can vote in?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 3:31 pm

2012: Obama V. Romney

Man, I wish I would have been able to vote in 2008. That election was epic! :D

Subject: Re: What is the first U.S. Presidential Election you voted in or can vote in?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 3:47 pm

2012: Obama V. Romney

Man, I wish I would have been able to vote in 2008. That election was epic! :D

Me too...unfortunately I have to wait until 2020 :\'(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 3:50 pm

Me too...unfortunately I have to wait until 2020 :\'(.
That one is going to be mind-blowing

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 3:51 pm

That one is going to be mind-blowing

I know. 2020 is going to be an epic year it seems :D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 3:54 pm

I know. 2020 is going to be an epic year it seems :D.
Yeah man! :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 3:59 pm

Yeah man! :D

Not only the election but....
1. I turn 21 years old (can finally legally drink)
2. The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan
3. I'll be a Senior in college :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 4:03 pm

Not only the election but....
1. I turn 21 years old (can finally legally drink)
2. The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan
3. I'll be a Senior in college :D
1. Yeah here, but you can drink in Canada at some places though.
2. Yeah. I bet that its going to be awesome.
3. I know!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/17 at 4:07 pm

The first year that I can be able to vote in is 2020.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 4:07 pm

1. Yeah here, but you can drink in Canada at some places though.
2. Yeah. I bet that its going to be awesome.
3. I know!

I'm not Canadian ???.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 4:07 pm

My first election would've been in 2012. I was a hardcore pacifist back then and didn't like the drone strikes, so I was (barely) for Jill Stein at first, but I warmed up to Obama towards the end. The election party at school was amazing! :D

The memes were the best thing from back then. Mitt Romney Style, Rmoney, 47%, binders full of women etc. ;D 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 4:09 pm

My first election would've been in 2012. I was a hardcore pacifist back then and didn't like the drone strikes, so I was (barely) for Jill Stein at first, but I warmed up to Obama towards the end. The election party at school was amazing! :D

Awesome :D. I remember being so scared at the start of Election Day 2012 but then so joyous after Obama won reelection (I was 13 :D).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 4:10 pm

I'm not Canadian ???.

I know, but I'm saying whenever you go there (or to Mexico) you will be able to drink.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 4:12 pm

I know, but I'm saying whenever you go there (or to Mexico) you will be able to drink.

OH OK....I'll just go to Las Vegas ;).

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 4:16 pm

I'm not Canadian ???.

You'll be able to drink if you take a trip to Montréal. ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 4:20 pm

You'll be able to drink if you take a trip to Montréal. ;)

Never....my Rangers just beat the Canadiens in the first round ;). On a serious note, Montréal just isn't to my tastes. If not Las Vegas, then I'll go to either Los Angeles, Toronto or Vancouver :).

Written By: Mr Steamer on 04/23/17 at 4:44 pm

It's funny you ask this actually as I am from Britain, and there is going to be a new election this year and this will be the first time I'll be old enough to vote having turned 18 last June. Don't know whether to or not though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 4:49 pm

It's funny you ask this actually as I am from Britain, and there is going to be a new election this year and this will be the first time I'll be old enough to vote having turned 18 last June. Don't know whether to or not though.

So you was born in June 1998.....that means you would have been able to vote in last year's Presidential election. Congrats, it was the most exciting U.S. Presidential election of this decade ;D.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 5:04 pm

Never....my Rangers just beat the Canadiens in the first round ;). On a serious note, Montréal just isn't to my tastes. If not Las Vegas, then I'll go to either Los Angeles, Toronto or Vancouver :).

I heard people say Montréal has the hottest women in North America. :o

Don't tell me you missed the Brexit vote by a few days. That would suck! ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 5:07 pm

I heard people say Montréal has the hottest women in North America. :o

Don't tell me you missed the Brexit vote by a few days. That would suck! ;D

Where and when was this said? ???

Written By: nally on 04/23/17 at 6:26 pm

I turned 18 in 1998, but that was a midterm election year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 6:28 pm

I turned 18 in 1998, but that was a midterm election year.

Awesome. I was only a 1 year old when that election happened.

BTW, 1998 was your first midterm election and 2018 will be mine. So yay....20 years apart ;D.

Written By: nally on 04/23/17 at 6:30 pm

Awesome. I was only a 1 year old when that election happened.

BTW, 1998 was your first midterm election and 2018 will be mine. So yay....20 years apart ;D.

And I realized that the midterm election of 1998 was (a little more than) half my life ago now!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 6:33 pm

And I realized that the midterm election of 1998 was (a little more than) half my life ago now!

That's cool.

2008 was the halfway point in my life, as of 2017...so technically the 2008 Presidential election :D.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/23/17 at 7:01 pm

What is the first U.S. Presidential Election you voted in or can vote in?

What ReignMan99 and New York Eagle said. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 7:04 pm

What is the first U.S. Presidential Election you voted in or can vote in?

What ReignMan99 and New York Eagle said. :P

Yes, 2020 8).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/25/17 at 9:36 am

I voted for the first time in the 2006 midterm elections, but the first presidential election I was eligible to vote in was 2008, though If I'd been born just nine months earlier I would've been eligible to vote in 2004.

Believe it or not, I actually supported George W. Bush in the 2004 election (even though I couldn't vote, it's still embarrassing :-[), but had turned against him and the Republicans heavily during 2005-06 because of Iraq going south, Hurricane Katrina, warrantless wiretapping, and all of that. I supported Obama during the Democratic primary race against Hillary, since he had been against the Iraq War from the start and seemed like a breath of fresh air during the horrific late Bush era. I remember being a little dissapointed when Obama picked Biden as his running mate, because there had been talk that he might pick Sam Nunn instead, who was born in Perry, Georgia, which is where I lived at the time. Still, I was already going to vote for Obama from the beginning, but the economic collapse in September combined with McCain picking Palin as his VP just sealed the deal. It was certainly an interesting year. 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/17 at 9:59 am

I voted Obama in 2008.

Written By: Emman on 04/25/17 at 10:10 am

The first election year I was eligible to vote in was 2004, Bush vs Kerry but I didn't vote.

I voted for Obama in 2008 and was immediately disappointed when he started appointing all these Wall Street jerk offs in his administration and wasted his first two years.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/25/17 at 11:14 am

1992. I voted for Bill Clinton. And it's funny, the older I get the more I regret it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/25/17 at 1:00 pm

I voted for the first time in the 2006 midterm elections, but the first presidential election I was eligible to vote in was 2008, though If I'd been born just nine months earlier I would've been eligible to vote in 2004.

Believe it or not, I actually supported George W. Bush in the 2004 election (even though I couldn't vote, it's still embarrassing :-[), but had turned against him and the Republicans heavily during 2005-06 because of Iraq going south, Hurricane Katrina, warrantless wiretapping, and all of that. I supported Obama during the Democratic primary race against Hillary, since he had been against the Iraq War from the start and seemed like a breath of fresh air during the horrific late Bush era. I remember being a little dissapointed when Obama picked Biden as his running mate, because there had been talk that he might pick Sam Nunn instead, who was born in Perry, Georgia, which is where I lived at the time. Still, I was already going to vote for Obama from the beginning, but the economic collapse in September combined with McCain picking Palin as his VP just sealed the deal. It was certainly an interesting year. 8)

That's cool. I wish that I could have gotten to vote in '08. I missed voting in last year's election by 8-9 months.....I have to wait until the 2018 midterms and then 2020 Presidential election to vote.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/17 at 1:14 pm

1992. I voted for Bill Clinton. And it's funny, the older I get the more I regret it.

Why have you come to regret it, if you don't mind me asking?

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/17 at 1:19 pm

I voted for Obama in 2012. However, I was registered in Pennsylvania instead of California due to college and the fact that PA is more of a swing state, having voted for Greedybags in 2016.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/17 at 2:00 pm

"I did not have relations with....."

Written By: Alexander1956 on 04/25/17 at 3:27 pm

I voted for the first time in the 1976 presidential election, at age 20. Haven't missed a presidential election since.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/25/17 at 4:10 pm

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman....Ms. Lewinsky."

Fixed it for you ;).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/25/17 at 4:13 pm

I voted for the first time in the 1976 presidential election, at age 20. Haven't missed a presidential election since.

That's amazing. You have been voting in Presidential elections for 40 years. Wow, my mother was only 13 in 1976 (and I wasn't born for another 23 years.....1999).

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/17 at 4:18 pm

Fixed it for you ;).

Uh no!  :(  :(

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 7:39 pm

My first election will be the 2020 election.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 7:40 pm

My first election will be the 2020 election.

Same here. I missed 2016 by just 8 months and a few days :P.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/23/18 at 1:49 am

I voted in the 2012 election. It was my mom's first time voting as well and we went together. I'm surprised she didn't vote in the 2008 election.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/23/18 at 2:35 am

2016.....unfortunately ;D.

I didn't vote for either Clinton or Trump btw, I live in a solidly blue state so I voted 3rd party

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/23/18 at 3:22 am

2016.....unfortunately ;D.

I didn't vote for either Clinton or Trump btw, I live in a solidly blue state so I voted 3rd party

No offense but if you voted 3rd party then it would have better if you didn't vote at all :-X.

I still don't get the logic of voting third party, we live in a two party system....if you don't like the two candidates or feel that you can't vote for either for whatever reason...THEN JUST DON'T VOTE.

Those 3rd party votes were critical in states like PA, MI and WI and factored into Trump winning.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/18 at 2:10 pm

I voted in 2 mock elections in school. (This is REALLY going to date me.  :-[ ) The first one was for Tricky Dicky.  :-[ What did I know? I was only in the 4th grade. The other one was in my senior year and I voted for John Anderson. (Who?) He ran against Carter & Reagan in 1980. I was about 6 months shy of being able to REALLY vote. But, in 1984 when I was eligible to REALLY vote, I didn't make it to the polls because I didn't drive at the time and I was working the swing shift and had to be at work by 2. (I was so naive that I didn't know you could vote absentee-I was also VERY naive that I would have voted for Reagan.  :-[ ) The very first presidential election that I voted in was in 1988 and I voted for Daddy Bush-it was also the very last time I voted Republican.

Cat 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/23/18 at 4:20 pm

I voted in 2 mock elections in school. (This is REALLY going to date me.  :-[ ) The first one was for Tricky Dicky.  :-[ What did I know? I was only in the 4th grade. The other one was in my senior year and I voted for John Anderson. (Who?) He ran against Carter & Reagan in 1980. I was about 6 months shy of being able to REALLY vote. But, in 1984 when I was eligible to REALLY vote, I didn't make it to the polls because I didn't drive at the time and I was working the swing shift and had to be at work by 2. (I was so naive that I didn't know you could vote absentee-I was also VERY naive that I would have voted for Reagan.  :-[ ) The very first presidential election that I voted in was in 1988 and I voted for Daddy Bush-it was also the very last time I voted Republican.

Cat

What caused you to stop voting Republican? (just asking) :)

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/23/18 at 10:45 pm

The 2020 U.S. Election

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/24/18 at 2:17 am

Voted Johnson, but supported Paul and Cruz in the primaries.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/24/18 at 9:46 am

Voted Johnson, but supported Paul and Cruz in the primaries.

When I see this all I can think of is "wasted vote".

I'm sorry but like I said earlier, voting 3rd party in a two party system is literally futile. If Americans really disliked the two party system, it wouldn't still be in existence.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/18 at 1:47 pm

What caused you to stop voting Republican? (just asking) :)

Because I realized exactly what the Republican Party stood for-and it wasn't for the American people. They stood for the Republican Party-their power, their donors, and their own self-interest. But it wasn't until about 20 years ago that the Republican Party really became bat-crap crazy.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/24/18 at 2:15 pm

Because I realized exactly what the Republican Party stood for-and it wasn't for the American people. They stood for the Republican Party-their power, their donors, and their own self-interest. But it wasn't until about 20 years ago that the Republican Party really became bat-crap crazy.

Cat

Interesting. Thanks for answering.

Check for new replies or respond here...