inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Akon VS Drake

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 3:29 pm

Since we're getting near the end of the decade, I have been wanting to discuss the two singers, Akon and Drake. For those who don't remember, Akon was one of the biggest, urban, mainstream singers of the 2000s. He had success with his own songs, and he was featured in multiple others of many artists during that time. Since 2010, Drake has took over that spot where he now has had his own success, and has even been featured in many tracks of others as well.

My question is, who do you think is better and why?

Subject: Re: Akon VS Drake

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 5:13 pm

I can't pick!! Akon was life in middle school, and now Drake has been life since 2009. ;D

I think my Akon fanboyism went slightly further though, because Mr. Lonely remains the best ringtone bar none. That was my ringtone for a long time.

Akon does a lot of cool philanthropist work now. Respekt.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 5:24 pm

I can't pick!! Akon was life in middle school, and now Drake has been life since 2009. ;D

I think my Akon fanboyism went slightly further though, because Mr. Lonely remains the best ringtone bar none. That was my ringtone for a long time.

Akon does a lot of cool philanthropist work now. Respekt.
Oh really? I know it was probably a sad song :(, but damn it was good 8).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVjikUbIOa0

Oh, and one day one of my uncles was playing this song on his speaker, and it brought back nostalgia all of a sudeen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15aY0ua6naY 

Yeah, I have heard about too. In fact, I read that he did something awesome a month ago I think.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 5:36 pm

Oh really? I know it was probably a sad song :(, but damn it was good 8).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVjikUbIOa0

Oh, and one day one of my uncles was playing this song on his speaker, and it brought back nostalgia all of a sudeen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15aY0ua6naY 

Yeah, I have heard about too. In fact, I read that he did something awesome a month ago I think.

It wasn't sad, it was funny! ;D

Nice song! I almost forgot about it. I was wondering when someone was going to make the 2000s R&B thread because I was ready to spam it with Akon. ;D

I got into Akon with his song Belly Dancer.  :-[

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 5:41 pm

It wasn't sad, it was funny! ;D

Nice song! I almost forgot about it. I was wondering when someone was going to make the 2000s R&B thread because I was ready to spam it with Akon. ;D

I got into Akon with his song Belly Dancer.  :-Locked Up or Lonely

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 5:47 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, that could happen in the future. 00s R&B was fantastic!

it seems it must have been an embarrassing song. ;D ;D I first heard Akon either with Locked Up or Lonely

50 Cent, Akon and Usher (and Ye ofc but that goes without saying), those were the three that were dropping quality in the mid-2000s. All the other pretenders ruined it. :-X

Oh Lonely was definitely the first song I heard from him. That song was huge! But when he dropped Belly Dancer I was like damn this is a hot track!. The song itself isn't embarrassing, those middle school graduation dances though...  :-[

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 5:51 pm

I think that Drake is better but I like Akon as well and Akon was at his peak when I was 6-8/9 years old.

My favorite song from Akon is Right Now (Na Na Na) - 2008

My favorite song from Drake is Find Your Love (2010)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 5:54 pm

50 Cent, Akon and Usher (and Ye ofc but that goes without saying), those were the three that were dropping quality in the mid-2000s. All the other pretenders ruined it. :-X

Oh Lonely was definitely the first song I heard from him. That song was huge! But when he dropped Belly Dancer I was like damn this is a hot track!. The song itself isn't embarrassing, those middle school graduation dances though...  :-
I think that Drake is better but I like Akon as well and Akon was at his peak when I was 6-8/9 years old.

My favorite song from Drake is Find Your Love (2010)
Nice!!!! ;)

Yeah, both have had great hits that it's sometimes hard to choose who was better.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 5:58 pm

Nice!!!! ;)

Yeah, both have had great hits that it's sometimes hard to choose who was better.

Yeah, it was tough to choose, lol :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/23/17 at 6:05 pm

Yeah, it was tough to choose, lol :).
I mean, look at a few of their songs :D :)

Akon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1MUVfzFqxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26WBT1ZdLdc

Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RT50DwWGBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH98ehnfDaA

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 6:12 pm

I mean, look at a few of their songs :D :)

Akon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1MUVfzFqxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26WBT1ZdLdc

Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RT50DwWGBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH98ehnfDaA

Awesome 8).

Written By: aja675 on 04/24/17 at 4:38 am

ZSiWLauOEMY

Dirty spoof from my country. As you could imagine, it was really popular with teenage boys.

"Come on try my banana
If you try it, you won't get tired of it
Because my banana is filled with nutrients
And it's really tasty too''

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/24/17 at 6:19 am

SiWLauOEMY

Dirty spoof from my country. As you could imagine, it was really popular with teenage boys.

"Come on try my banana
If you try it, you won't get tired of it
Because my banana is filled with nutrients
And it's really tasty too''

Aw man, it sucks that it's blocked for you.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/24/17 at 8:03 am

Drake by a long shot. Drake has had a major impact on mainstream music the last 7 years. He mixes up different genres of urban and hip hop music together. The way he's able to sing very well and keep the flow of his killer rapping at the same damn time. There's not a lot of artists out there past and present who became talented as Drake.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/24/17 at 8:08 am

and while Akon was good, he was only popular throughout the core 2000's and eventually fell off the map. His Freedom album from the late 2000's was the last thing I ever heard him doing but it's not like it was a huge hit album that got to 1 million like Drake or Katy Perry for example. Drake has been consistently popular since 2009 and has become a big icon of 2010's music in general.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/24/17 at 2:10 pm

Drake by a long shot. Drake has had a major impact on mainstream music the last 7 years. He mixes up different genres of urban and hip hop music together. The way he's able to sing very well and keep the flow of his killer rapping at the same damn time. There's not a lot of artists out there past and present who became talented as Drake.

and while Akon was good, he was only popular throughout the core 2000's and eventually fell off the map. His Freedom album from the late 2000's was the last thing I ever heard him doing but it's not like it was a huge hit album that got to 1 million like Drake or Katy Perry for example. Drake has been consistently popular since 2009 and has become a big icon of 2010's music in general.
Yeah, I can agree with this. His flow is really good. In fact, I have been playing some of his songs as a station on Pandora.

As for Akon, what's your favorite song by him?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/17 at 7:17 pm

Both of them are sissies. Drake used to be pretty dopeaf in the early Bedrock/Thank Me Later days when he actually used to spit chillaf rhymes but now he's a wuss who does nothing but "sing". Akon's always sucked. He just "sings" about his "feelings" and, I mean come on, who the hell wants to listen to that!?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/24/17 at 7:25 pm

Both of them are sissies. Drake used to be pretty dopeaf in the early Bedrock/Thank Me Later days when he actually used to spit chillaf rhymes but now he's a wuss who does nothing but "sing". Akon's always sucked. He just "sings" about his "feelings" and, I mean come on, who the hell wants to listen to that!?
Wrong! Both have had great hits, and not every Akon song was about his feelings.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/17 at 7:28 pm

Wrong! Both have had great hits, and not every Akon song was about his feelings.

I'm not denying that they had big hits but not all of them were good. Drake was better when he rapped about "smackin' hoes" rather than whatever the hell crap he "sings" about nowadays. Akon has never been good! How does his music "make dat azz bounce"!? It doesn't! ::)

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/17 at 8:07 pm

I'm not denying that they had big hits but not all of them were good. Drake was better when he rapped about "smackin' hoes" rather than whatever the hell crap he "sings" about nowadays. Akon has never been good! How does his music "make dat azz bounce"!? It doesn't! ::)

v9w9mQx7MN4

bKDdT_nyP54

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/24/17 at 10:49 pm

Smack That is obviously a beta male anthem about how Akon, the "nice guy", lusts for the girl of his dreams but since guys finish last he has to resort to manipulating himself (aka "smacking that") due to not being red pilled alpha.

Belly Dancer is a metaphor for the ripples of time and space between him and the girl he's "always loved" but won't give him the time of day even though he's "such a nice guy". 

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/17 at 4:42 pm

Smack That is obviously a beta male anthem about how Akon, the "nice guy", lusts for the girl of his dreams but since guys finish last he has to resort to manipulating himself (aka "smacking that") due to not being red pilled alpha.

Belly Dancer is a metaphor for the ripples of time and space between him and the girl he's "always loved" but won't give him the time of day even though he's "such a nice guy".

Tbh Smack That is a misogynistic tune that objectifies women and tells us that their bodies are purely for sexual pleasure and that the booty is separate from the woman herself. On the other hand, Belly Dancer is a much more progressive and enlightened melody with constant affirmative questions like "if you want to" which establishes consent at every further step of the act.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/jonathanrij/Emoticons%20and%20GIFs/oprah-preaching.gif

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 10:55 am

Tbh Smack That is a misogynistic tune that objectifies women and tells us that their bodies are purely for sexual pleasure and that the booty is separate from the woman herself. On the other hand, Belly Dancer is a much more progressive and enlightened melody with constant affirmative questions like "if you want to" which establishes consent at every further step of the act.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/jonathanrij/Emoticons%20and%20GIFs/oprah-preaching.gif

WRONG! Smack That's meaning is very clear if you pay attention. Akon sings about how his "me-time" has no longer become a simple pass time but an all out addiction due to the fact that the "woman of my dreams who I have never felt this way about before" won't give him the time of day. She's always out with another man (he's "just a friend", though) and only invites him out when she wants to go shopping (because she knows beta cuck Akon will buy her anything she wants). Now the mess is all on his bedroom floor and he is feeling sore but he can't stopped. You know what he's convicted of? Convicted of a crime of being in the friendzone.

Belly Dancer is less pathetic but still pretty beta cucked. He compared the ripples of a belly dancer's belly to the ripples of time and space between the "woman I've loved since I've been alive" and his own self. Akon can't get over the fact that she is not next to him at this very moment and says he feels like "soldiers in the war who are away from their wives". Come on, Akon, get redpilled uncucked already. ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 11:39 am

Neither.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 11:52 am

Rap has a lot of misogyny in its lyrics.  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 9:28 pm

You do know he was in songs that wasn't all beta male right?

Rap has a lot of misogyny in its lyrics.  :P
and misandry.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/17 at 12:46 pm

You do know he was in songs that wasn't all beta male right?

I've listened to all his albums. They're pretty much made by beta males for beta males.

I miss the old Drake when he was alpha. Like on his song bedrock, he sang about "smakkin hoez like fred flintstone". I thought that was pretty cool.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 5:30 pm

I've listened to all his albums. They're pretty much made by beta males for beta males.

I miss the old Drake when he was alpha. Like on his song bedrock, he sang about "smakkin hoez like fred flintstone". I thought that was pretty cool.
Have you heard him in the songs he's featured in? It wasn't all that beta.

Drake is still alpha. He was going strong then, and still is today. Oh, and Drake was not in the song Bedrock. You must have him confused for someone else.

Written By: 2001 on 04/29/17 at 9:09 pm

Drake sounded so hot in Rihanna's Work. He's a keeper!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/30/17 at 8:33 am

Have you heard him in the songs he's featured in? It wasn't all that beta.

Drake is still alpha. He was going strong then, and still is today. Oh, and Drake was not in the song Bedrock. You must have him confused for someone else.

Yes. He beta-ed all the songs up.

Nope. I've listened to Views many times and he just "sings" about his emotions throughout the entire thing. Lame! And yes, Drake is totally in Bedrock.

From Wikipedia:
"BedRock" is the second single by hip hop group Young Money Entertainment from their debut collaboration album We Are Young Money. It is performed by Young Money artists Lil Wayne, Gudda Gudda, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Tyga, Jae Millz, and features R&B singer Lloyd.

Drake was a part of Young Money.

Drake sounded so hot in Rihanna's Work. He's a keeper!

He used to be when he sang about "smakkin hoez n makin dat azz bounce" but now? He just whines about crap.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/30/17 at 10:41 am

Yes. He beta-ed all the songs up.

Nope. I've listened to Views many times and he just "sings" about his emotions throughout the entire thing. Lame! And yes, Drake is totally in Bedrock.

From Wikipedia:
"BedRock" is the second single by hip hop group Young Money Entertainment from their debut collaboration album We Are Young Money. It is performed by Young Money artists Lil Wayne, Gudda Gudda, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Tyga, Jae Millz, and features R&B singer Lloyd.

Drake was a part of Young Money.

He used to be when he sang about "smakkin hoez n makin dat azz bounce" but now? He just whines about crap.
That's what you think. If you listen to songs Akon was featured in, he wasn't being emotional. He wasn't a beta artist.

That's just one album. Drake is still alpha. As for Bedrock, I heard that song many times. I don't remember hearing Drake often, but I recall all the others on there.

Oh, and when does singing or rapping about your emotions makes one beta anyway? Just because they do that doesn't mean they're sissies.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/17 at 10:53 am

Long distance, I need you
When I see potential I just gotta see it through
If you had a twin, I would still choose you
I don't wanna rush into it, if it's too soon
But I know you need to get done, done, done, done
If you come over
Sorry if I'm way less friendly
I got niggas tryna end me, oh
I spilled all my emotions tonight, I’m sorry
Rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin'
How many more shots until you're rollin'?
We just need a face to face
You could pick the time and the place
You spent some time away
Now you need to forward and give me all the work work work work work

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 7:38 pm

Drake for sure.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/22/18 at 7:49 pm

Drake. I hated most of Akon's music, especially that martian voice of his.

Check for new replies or respond here...