inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When and how did you become interested in the decades?

Written By: Mr Steamer on 04/24/17 at 6:55 pm

I just wondered, for all the pop culture historians on this website, how long has pop culture history been a part of you, and how did you become interested in it? For me it was Back To The Future, when I first saw the movie as a child I didn't think much of it. But then I re-watched it many years later in 2010 when I was 12 and I was fascinated how the movie showed how the 50's had its own identity and so did the 80's, so I then began to wonder what the other decades were like, and this led to the strong interest I have in 20th century pop culture (and world) history all these years later. How did you become interested in this topic?

Subject: Re: When and how did you become interested in the decades?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/24/17 at 6:57 pm

In 2012, when I was 13....I saw a bunch of '90s kids posts on Facebook and that sparked my interest in decades and the whole pop culture surrounding the 1950s-1990s. This has led me to my liking of the years 1987-1996 in particular.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/17 at 7:02 pm

I was very obsessive with my childhood in the 2000s during the mid 2010s. I just couldn't stand seeing anything related to the 2010s because it just wasn't up to my taste. Around 2016, I started to get more tolerant with the 2010s. But even with that, it's still a bit too late to say otherwise. I could say that I'm fascinated with past decades, but I'm more into my childhood nostalgia.

Written By: Ripley on 04/24/17 at 9:37 pm

My whole life I've always had a huge interest in pop culture from the different decades.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/24/17 at 10:42 pm

Written By: #Infinity on 04/24/17 at 10:52 pm

I've sort of always been fascinated by the history of popular culture, but I don't think it was until roughly the early 2000s that I was familiar enough with past decades to form an impression on what was popular in the past. Before that, I distinctly remember considering 1996 an absolutely ancient year by 2002 just because it wasn't completely current.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/24/17 at 11:24 pm

I don't know when Backtrax USA started, but I, myself, first heard the 1980's show back in 2001. Then ever since then I was obsessed with how pop culture shifts and changes. That's how and when I became interested in the decades.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/24/17 at 11:25 pm

In 2012, when I was 13....I saw a bunch of '90s kids posts on Facebook and that sparked my interest in decades and the whole pop culture surrounding the 1950s-1990s. This has led me to my liking of the years 1987-1996 in particular.

TheReignMan99,

those are awesome pop culture pictures you have of the 1980's and 1990's!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/24/17 at 11:26 pm

TheReignMan99,

those are awesome pop culture pictures you have of the 1980's and 1990's!  8)  8)  8)

Thanks bro 8).

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/25/17 at 1:22 am

I love history whcih is what got me interested in it. With decades in particular, it happened two years ago, because I started looking at music history, video game history, movie history, etc. Pop culture in general.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/25/17 at 5:40 am

I never worried about it until around 4 years ago when I suddenly became nostalgic for the "good old days" when life felt more exciting. Then I discovered this place a while later.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/17 at 6:44 am

During my late teens and early 20's when I became interested in the 80's decades.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/25/17 at 9:55 am

I've told the story before, so for me this is an easy question to answer. I had been interested in pop culture since I was about 9 or 10, but my particular interest in decades and nostalgia didn't begin until February 2005. At that time, I discovered a VHS tape I had recorded off of Fox Kids in March 1994 and watched it for the first time since I was a kid. Seeing the old cartoons, bumpers and commercials on that grainy tape just gave a rush of nostalgia that I had never felt before up to that point.

In particular it was this commercial that really got to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzP-UscIg9g

I can't really explain why, but we had a Rally's fast food place near us growing up, and it was something about seeing that classic storefront with all of those big boxy cars at the drive-thru that just took me back to my childhood in a big way. I found some other old VHS tapes after that, which expanded my interest in nostalgia even further, and ultimately led me to inthe00s later in 2005.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/17 at 1:21 pm

A lot of people becoming "genre junkies" when it comes to reading books. Some people read young adult novels, others read sci-fis. Me, personally, I became addicted to reading to biographies, diaries, or just fiction books set in the 1920s-1940s (and sometimes 1890s-1910s). I also got interested in fashion changes through the decades, especially 1850s-1960s (and then later 1970s-2010s), just looking at old pictures or news reports and seeing what people were wearing (@HistoricalPics is an amazing Twitter feed for that). I also just love me some jazz! Especially 1920s-1960s.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/26/17 at 12:29 am

I would say mid '00s.  I remember thinking about how my parents' generation had the 60s, 70s, and 80s, each with it's own unique and distinct identity.  I thought about how the '90s had an identity but at that point it seemed like the '00s were just a more evolved version of the '90s and didn't have their own distinct identity.  In retrospect, the '00s had a lot more of an identity than it seemed at the time, but I do think there was less of a difference between the '90s and '00s than any decade transition since the '40s into the '50s.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/26/17 at 7:16 am

I have always had an interest in history. I could never really get into a lot of the pop culture from when I was a kid, so I had a big interest in a lot of cartoons from the early-mid 20th Century and I was also intrigued by events of the past. It's probably why i'm not as nostalgic about 2000s kids culture as some other people on inthe00s are. A lot of it never really appealed to me, to be honest.

In regards to the pop culture of decades, I never really gave it a second thought until last year, in all honesty. It's not something that really crossed my mind too often, until I joined inthe00s in August last year.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/26/17 at 1:35 pm

About 2014/2015  I became obsessed with the late 2000's early 2010's as they were the best years of my life and I missed them. I started to see how different things were in the space of a few years and that made me realise that every decade is different and there are transitional periods. So I started to become fascinated by the past!

Check for new replies or respond here...