inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Is The Best Video Gaming Generation?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/17 at 4:00 pm

A pretty basic poll here. What gaming generation is your favorite? Which do you think has the best consoles and games overall? Just for the record, I didn't include the Nintendo Switch in this little exercise because it just came out a few months ago, and I have no idea whether it actually counts as a eight or ninth generation console.

For my choice, I really agonized between the third, fourth, fifth and sixth generations, which are my favorites. The first and second generations were before my time, and I never really considered the seventh and eighth generations because I haven't been into gaming as much since 2005. Roughly 1986-2004 is my "prime" era of gaming.

After much debate, I ultimately decided to go with the fourth generation. It's just too great to overlook. The SNES vs. Genesis console war produced many of the greatest games ever made, including the original Sonic the Hedgehog trilogy, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV, FF V, FF VI, Tecmo Super Bowl, Legend of Mana, NBA Jam, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter II, Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat Super Mario Kart, Vectorman, Earthworm Jim, and that's just to name a few. I was close to going with the fifth generation, but the fourth's gaming lineup was too much to ignore.

Subject: Re: What Is The Best Video Gaming Generation?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/01/17 at 4:05 pm

6, definitely 6.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/01/17 at 4:12 pm

4th because I agree with the OP. That generation had so much to play that it would have been awful to miss out on the games. It also had variety because there are some obscure series that haven't reappeared on any future gaming generation since the SNES/Genesis days that could have had great sequels.

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/17 at 4:37 pm

My favourite is 7th gen although 4th comes pretty close. I love the expansive, deep and rich worlds. Handheld gaming was also at its peak with DS and PSP pumping out unique games in unique genres. 

I'm pretty sure 8th would be my favourite if I actually paid attention lol, but I do love my 3DS, and I like the games on the Wii U more than the Wii at least.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/17 at 5:03 pm

The 6th Generation of Video Games for me because it was my childhood :).

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/01/17 at 5:23 pm

The fifth generation because the N64 is basically my favorite video game console. That's when I felt the most magic as far as video games. The sixth gen is the finisher.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/02/17 at 10:48 am

Fourth Generation (1987-2004; Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo, etc.) and Sixth Generation (1998-2013; PlayStation 2, Xbox, Gamecube, Sega Dreamcast, etc.)
BY FAR!!! :D :D :D

Written By: bchris02 on 05/02/17 at 3:49 pm

As a PC gamer, 2004 was the best year in PC gaming history.  There never was and never will be another year like it.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/17 at 4:53 pm

definitely The 3rd Generation.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/02/17 at 5:13 pm

I gotta say I'm a little surprised that none of you guys went with the 1st generation. I mean, who doesn't love Pong clones? 8)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Pong.png

Written By: Howard on 05/02/17 at 5:49 pm

I gotta say I'm a little surprised that none of you guys went with the 1st generation. I mean, who doesn't love Pong clones? 8)

That was so cheesy, the sounds of "boop" was so funny. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/17 at 6:47 pm

tbh the second generation is underrated. I played the f*ck out of River Raid.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/02/17 at 8:18 pm

tbh the second generation is underrated. I played the f*ck out of River Raid.

I actually own a 2nd gen console. The Magnavox Odyssey 2. I've only got two games for it, but it's still a pretty cool thing to have.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 8:21 pm

I actually own a 2nd gen console. The Magnavox Odyssey 2. I've only got two games for it, but it's still a pretty cool thing to have.

To me console video games before the NES are boring....:-X. Even, a lot of NES games are boring and corny :-X. 1989-2007 was the best time for video games to me (with 2008-2010 being decent years).

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/17 at 8:24 pm

Get an Atari 2600! It's fun to play with friends :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/02/17 at 8:29 pm

To me console video games before the NES are boring....:-X. Even, a lot of NES games are boring and corny :-X. 1989-2007 was the best time for video games to me (with 2008-2010 being decent years).

I agree about 1st and 2nd gen consoles. I didn't start playing video games until the early '90s with the NES being my first console, so any game before Super Mario Bros. is "before my time" and hard for me to get into. The NES is one of my favorite consoles, though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 8:30 pm

I agree about 1st and 2nd gen consoles. I didn't start playing video games until the early '90s with the NES being my first console, so any game before Super Mario Bros. is "before my time" and hard for me to get into. The NES is one of my favorite consoles, though.

Fair enough.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/17 at 6:59 am

Do you still play video games on it?

Check for new replies or respond here...