inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Getting Hooked On Singers/Groups/Bands

Written By: Ripley on 05/07/17 at 10:36 pm

I couldn't think of a good title for this but anyway  ;D Surely most of you do this. Where you decide to listen to someone's song and you keep listening. And then you're hooked for a few weeks. Whether it is a newer person, someone older you had just started liking or it is someone you had been this way about years ago and you just re-got into their music.

For me it goes beyond CDs or iTunes or the music clips/videos on YouTube. While there I search interviews and performances from years back. I sometimes venture into facts websites lol. Okay, I doubt any of you take it that for, at least for the artist you use to obsess over that you're now back into. But does anyone else have these long marathons for certain artists?

Subject: Re: Getting Hooked On Singers/Groups/Bands

Written By: Ripley on 05/07/17 at 10:41 pm

One in particular for me is Madonna. I was really into her music in the 90's. Then the 2000's came and I stopped caring for her music. But one day I got this sudden urge to listen to the Ray of Light album. This started in early March. I've watched so many different videos about her in the last two months! Lol So I've discovered a few good songs of hers that I had never even heard of. But even though her present music isn't bad, I'm not a big fan of it. Neither am I much of a fan of hers like I used to be. She's just not as fun. And she acts full of herself sometimes. But anyhow, my "marathon" is not going anymore. Though I'm still listening to her way more than I have in several years!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/08/17 at 4:32 am

Linkin Park were my favourite band when I was a kid and I used to listen to them almost daily. However, after being disappointed over the release of Minutes to Midnight, I stopped caring for their music when I was 9. It wasn't until I was 13, when I started to feel a bit nostalgic for Hybrid Theory and Meteora, that I started to listen to their music on a regular basis. However, I lost interest in their music again when I was 17 and I have since stopped listening to them. :P

Written By: Howard on 05/08/17 at 5:29 am

I would have to say Michael Jackson, I was so much into him back in the 80's and early 90's. But then I decided to give his new album from 2001 a try with songs like "You Rock My World" and "Butterflies" and they were good hits too I would say.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/08/17 at 3:40 pm

Platinum Blonde, Duran Duran, and Tears For Fears I really got into in their music.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/08/17 at 9:14 pm

Last year I got hooked on a little-known U.K. 60's band called Unit Four Plus Two.  Prior to last year I regarded them as a one hit wonder (the U.S. perspective), giving me no reason to delve deeper.

How did I get hooked?  A combination of two things - this board (a frequent poster), and YouTube!  ;D

Their "one" hit was posted in a thread; I clicked it but then got a strange error message.  So to be "helpful" I went to YouTube to find another video of the same song to post.  Which I did.  Now of course "YouTube", once you look up one song by an artist, all kinds of other songs by that artist are presented to you in the margins.  I made the mistake of clicking one - then another - and another.  "Too Fast, Too Slow" pushed me over the edge.  The rest is history.

So beware - click at your own risk, lest they suck you in too  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufj20tS6wI

Written By: nally on 05/08/17 at 11:05 pm

Great thread topic!

I can think of some music acts that I've been "hooked" on over time. Mostly due to their songs having a catchy beat and stuff like that. First of all, in 1994 I really enjoyed the music of Ace Of Base; I even received a copy of their album The Sign as a gift for my middle-school graduation. And in late 2001/early 2002 I started getting 'hooked' on Shakira; at that time her song "Whenever Wherever" was climbing the charts, and two other tracks from her Laundry Service album (which I purchased a copy of in May 2002) were released as singles in '02 as well. And in recent years I developed a liking for Sara Bareilles's music.

Oh, for a while between 1997 and 2001 I got hooked on various music from the 80's by various artists (mostly the new wave stuff), due to one radio station playing a block of it every Friday night during that span. I still enjoy it today, and can listen to it pretty much anytime (thanks in part to MusicChoice and Youtube). :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/08/17 at 11:41 pm

My Duran Duran fandom time line

1981: I was 5 years old.  That was when the first album was released
1982: I was 6 years old.  That was when Rio was released
1983: I was 7 years old.  That was when 7 and the Ragged Tiger was released
1984: I was 8 years old.  That was when Arena was released
1985: I was 9 years old.  That was when the Live Aid event was seen and that was when Andy and Roger quit.
1986: I was 10 years old.  That was when Notorious was released and that was when 5 became 3.
1989: I was 13 years old.  That was when Big Thing was released still John, Simon, and Nick
1993: I was 16 years old.  That was when the Wedding Album was released and my favourite song Ordinary World was released.
2004: I was 28 years old.  That was when they decided that was the best time to reunite and they released Astronaught.

Written By: Ripley on 05/08/17 at 11:57 pm

Last year I got hooked on a little-known U.K. 60's band called Unit Four Plus Two.  Prior to last year I regarded them as a one hit wonder (the U.S. perspective), giving me no reason to delve deeper.

How did I get hooked?  A combination of two things - this board (a frequent poster), and YouTube!  ;D

Their "one" hit was posted in a thread; I clicked it but then got a strange error message.  So to be "helpful" I went to YouTube to find another video of the same song to post.  Which I did.  Now of course "YouTube", once you look up one song by an artist, all kinds of other songs by that artist are presented to you in the margins.  I made the mistake of clicking one - then another - and another.  "Too Fast, Too Slow" pushed me over the edge.  The rest is history.

So beware - click at your own risk, lest they suck you in too  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufj20tS6wI

I discover so many songs I have never heard by the recommend list! And even some artists!

Written By: Ripley on 05/08/17 at 11:58 pm

Great thread topic!

I can think of some music acts that I've been "hooked" on over time. Mostly due to their songs having a catchy beat and stuff like that. First of all, in 1994 I really enjoyed the music of Ace Of Base; I even received a copy of their album The Sign as a gift for my middle-school graduation. And in late 2001/early 2002 I started getting 'hooked' on Shakira; at that time her song "Whenever Wherever" was climbing the charts, and two other tracks from her Laundry Service album (which I purchased a copy of in May 2002) were released as singles in '02 as well. And in recent years I developed a liking for Sara Bareilles's music.

Oh, for a while between 1997 and 2001 I got hooked on various music from the 80's by various artists (mostly the new wave stuff), due to one radio station playing a block of it every Friday night during that span. I still enjoy it today, and can listen to it pretty much anytime (thanks in part to MusicChoice and Youtube). :)

I love MusicChoice!

Written By: nally on 05/08/17 at 11:59 pm

I love MusicChoice!

Me too, ever since I first found out about it in 2001.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/17 at 5:14 am

My Duran Duran fandom time line

1981: I was 5 years old.  That was when the first album was released
1982: I was 6 years old.  That was when Rio was released
1983: I was 7 years old.  That was when 7 and the Ragged Tiger was released
1984: I was 8 years old.  That was when Arena was released
1985: I was 9 years old.  That was when the Live Aid event was seen and that was when Andy and Roger quit.
1986: I was 10 years old.  That was when Notorious was released and that was when 5 became 3.
1989: I was 13 years old.  That was when Big Thing was released still John, Simon, and Nick
1993: I was 16 years old.  That was when the Wedding Album was released and my favourite song Ordinary World was released.
2004: I was 28 years old.  That was when they decided that was the best time to reunite and they released Astronaught.

Wow, that's a great timeline.  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/09/17 at 5:15 am

I love MusicChoice!

I love Music Choice too. :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/09/17 at 12:13 pm

Wow, that's a great timeline.  :o

Yeah.  It wasn't until I was 10 that I started to notice them.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/10/17 at 3:26 pm

Yeah.  It wasn't until I was 10 that I started to notice them.  :)

and you were hooked ever since?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/10/17 at 4:03 pm

Well, we all know who I'm wild about: Michael Jackson. (over 20 years now)
Before I became a fan I had a heard of MJ and had a vague idea of who he was. Then when I was 9, I caught the interview Michael did with his then wife, Lisa Marie Presley, it was purely by accident. And I liked how he looked and sounded, and I heard some of the music and was like this guy is cool. I got into Michael and got an album a week later after riding my mom's ass about it. And literally, God bless my mom. She didn't care for Michael but she kept buying me CDs and videos and shirts and dolls and sheesh and nurturing this snowball that grew and grew. I guess at some point she was like "Tiff has to get tired, Tiff has to lose interest" and I never did. Even now I still run across new tracks, new footage, new tidbits. Like I never lost interest. I don't think I will. I've been a fan longer than some of my friends have been alive. At the same time, 3T overlapped because I first saw them in 1998, (and laid my claim on Taryll) but didn't really get that heavy into them until summer 2005 after Michael went underground, following his trial. 3T did something and I was like "lemme check these guys out" and I got hooked on them.
I just liked the music and looks and style, 3T is very different in style and look than their uncles or father, but it resonated with me  on different levels.
I got into Prince for a couple of years, mostly influenced by my now ex who was obsessed with him, but I ditched Prince because I didn't like his attitude and went back to 3T.
There's several other bands and singers, outside the realm of the Jackson family, that I liked for good music and good style and a good show. I like people who are different and strange and maybe a bit damaged, and I like music with a message and that speaks to me. I got that from the Jacksons, still do and I kind of use them as the "gold standard" to judge other artists. Well older, established artists. I'm not really interested in current acts. Outside of bubblegum pop and boybands of my youth I like older music. Music with substance.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/10/17 at 4:12 pm

and you were hooked ever since?

Yes that was it. 

Written By: Ripley on 05/10/17 at 6:33 pm

Well, we all know who I'm wild about: Michael Jackson. (over 20 years now)

When I was little I liked MJ. I don't know that I was obsessed with his music but I was always dancing to something when I was a kid. MJ's songs were ones I played frequently. I remember putting The tapes in the Camero and dancing to them in the driveway. Bad and Thriller. At that point I had never heard the older stuff, including Off The Wall. But then I watched The Jacksons: An American Dream. Around that time I got my own copy of Dangerous. I loved that tape.

But I was always more into Janet. I got into her from a very young age. I was 4 when Rhythm Nation came out and that's when I got into her. I got her tapes and then later got the CDs. I watched her shows on TV like the MTV specials and I wish I could have seen the Janet. tour in person cause that is my favorite album of hers. And "If" is my favorite song. Primarily because of the dancing. Also, I was in love with Poetic Justice. And I was a huge fan of Tupac so that was perfect for me lol. For the most part I've kept up with her work over the years. And, I have now been watching a lot of her stuff on YouTube the last week! 😜

As far as the rest of the Jackson fam, I've heard very little of their work outside of the original 5 lineup. I've heard a lot of 3T's music. I remember one time back in the 90's seeing them on TV talking about Dee Dee's death. I think I'm going to look for their Next Generation show. Cause I'm interested in checking it out. If it's not on YouTube do you know where I can find it.

Written By: Ripley on 05/10/17 at 6:37 pm

As for Prince, I was a fan in the 90's. But it pissed me off the way he would banish his music from the internet. I used to watch a lot of music covers of various artists. And now the ones of his are gone. For his songs I have only what I recorded back when I pirated (early 00's Limewire 😁). I had some of his CDs but I stupidly sold my huge ass CD collection! He had an ego at times too. But he was still a good artist.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/17 at 3:55 pm

When I was little I liked MJ. I don't know that I was obsessed with his music but I was always dancing to something when I was a kid. MJ's songs were ones I played frequently. I remember putting The tapes in the Camero and dancing to them in the driveway. Bad and Thriller. At that point I had never heard the older stuff, including Off The Wall. But then I watched The Jacksons: An American Dream. Around that time I got my own copy of Dangerous. I loved that tape.

But I was always more into Janet. I got into her from a very young age. I was 4 when Rhythm Nation came out and that's when I got into her. I got her tapes and then later got the CDs. I watched her shows on TV like the MTV specials and I wish I could have seen the Janet. tour in person cause that is my favorite album of hers. And "If" is my favorite song. Primarily because of the dancing. Also, I was in love with Poetic Justice. And I was a huge fan of Tupac so that was perfect for me lol. For the most part I've kept up with her work over the years. And, I have now been watching a lot of her stuff on YouTube the last week! 😜

As far as the rest of the Jackson fam, I've heard very little of their work outside of the original 5 lineup. I've heard a lot of 3T's music. I remember one time back in the 90's seeing them on TV talking about Dee Dee's death. I think I'm going to look for their Next Generation show. Cause I'm interested in checking it out. If it's not on YouTube do you know where I can find it.

I was hooked on Michael Jackson since the 1980's.

Written By: Emman on 05/11/17 at 5:12 pm

In my late teens/early 20s I was really into Daft Punk and associated French house music, I remember when One More Time came out in late 2000 and liking it but it was when Digital Love came out that I was really into their whole Discovery album.

I feel like I know every note of that album, listened to it over and over again.

Daft Punk was my gateway to the Beach Boys which they named as a huge influence, but I feel like they haven't done anything near as good since Discovery. Human After All was a weird minimalist '80s rock/acid house hybrid and RAM striped Daft Punk of any of their futuristic elements they had. Now I think they have been kind of overrated because "EDM" has become so popular.

Around 2011 I got into Joni Mitchell(especially Court and Spark), wish I'd discovered her sooner.

Written By: nally on 05/11/17 at 5:58 pm

I was hooked on Michael Jackson since the 1980's.

I was never actually "hooked" on him or his music, but he did record plenty of songs that I enjoy listening to.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/11/17 at 7:14 pm

I spent a long time resenting the fact I wasn't born sooner, so I could have caught both MJ and 3T in their hey day (Michael's History tour overlapped with a lot of locations as 3T's Brotherhood tour in 1996-1997) But I don't know. I was literally ridiculous as a child over Michael, now that I'm looking back on it and thinking of it. I have listened to music from everyone all of them. At some point I've played all the solo albums. I actually REALLY like Marlon Jackson's only solo album "Baby Tonight", but as much as I tried, I never really got into Janet. I mean I like her music, she's cool, but I'm just heavier into Michael. I mean as a Michael Jackson fan, it's kind of just part of it to get news about ALL the Jacksons through like osmosis. It just happens. I'm on Twitter for MJ and 3T and yet I know Janet is relaunching her tour she had to postpone when she had baby Eissa. I just KNOW.

As far as seeing Jacksons Next Generation vimeo has all six episodes and I will warn you, Taryll cries in just about every episode. I can say now that he and Breana have finally gone their separate ways and I hope he can find a girlfriend/wife who treats him better. (The thing with Breana turned into a whole creature on its own on social media with people being very opinionated about her and I stayed out of it pretty much. I distanced myself from people who were bashing her because I didn't want to be associated with people doing that. Because at the end of the day, none of us "really" know them, so how can we judge)

Prince lost me when he went to yanking all his stuff off line and suing fans for covering his songs. I dont want to speak ill of the dead, but it really was not great cause I had a friend was trying to get her into Prince and we couldn't find Prince and she looked me dead in the eye and said "Let's watch Michael, instead".  ::)

Written By: Ripley on 05/11/17 at 11:49 pm

I found a few snippets on YouTube, 2 minutes at the most. The ones I saw were about TJ's youngest son having a hearing problem. 😔 But I'll check it all out on Vimeo. If there are any videos about them that you think would be worth it for me to watch you should send me the links. 😛

Written By: Ripley on 05/12/17 at 2:16 am

Hey Tiff, I'm watching the episodes now. And damn Taryll's wife comes off as a b!tch! I hate to judge people and I don't. Maybe she's a nice person, who knows. But she definitely treats him like crap. And when he was doing the bills she was griping about him not fixing things. Well she's an adult right? So she can pick up the phone and call the repair people. He's doing what he can with what he has. And she was making fun of him for wanting to keep trash off the floor. Really? And right in front of the kids. I'm not even through with the second episode and I already don't like her. I feel bad for him that he had to deal with that. I hope things are going better for him now though. Like I said, I don't like to judge people and I'm not basing this on anyone else's words about her. I can see it for myself how she is, at least towards him.

I feel like I'm turning this into a gossip thread lol

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/14/17 at 2:03 pm

Hey Tiff, I'm watching the episodes now. And damn Taryll's wife comes off as a b!tch! I hate to judge people and I don't. Maybe she's a nice person, who knows. But she definitely treats him like crap. And when he was doing the bills she was griping about him not fixing things. Well she's an adult right? So she can pick up the phone and call the repair people. He's doing what he can with what he has. And she was making fun of him for wanting to keep trash off the floor. Really? And right in front of the kids. I'm not even through with the second episode and I already don't like her. I feel bad for him that he had to deal with that. I hope things are going better for him now though. Like I said, I don't like to judge people and I'm not basing this on anyone else's words about her. I can see it for myself how she is, at least towards him.

I feel like I'm turning this into a gossip thread lol

I'll send the links your way in a jiffy. And as far as Breana goes, I'll be a walking spoiler alert and tell you they have since split up, finally. They were on Iyanla: Fix my Life, it was a mess start to finish, found out more tragedy about Taryll (he'd been molested as a child, as was his older brother Taj, both by a member from their mother's side of the family. If anything happened to TJ, he hasn't sad anything. I hope it hasn't.) I just couldn't treat a man the way Breana treated Taryll. It's not about him being a Jackson or a quasi-celebrity, I mean, just as a man. I couldn't do that to any man, not a man who I claim I love and fathered my kids. I feel like if I did talk to a man like that, he'd slap me back into 70s or something. And I'd probably deserve that smack too if I cut up like that.
But they have gone their separate ways. I hope Taryll finds someone to make him happy. (no one volunteer me, I'm not his type.)
And I don't think it's gossip, but you say "Jackson" and everyone comes out the wood work. LOL.

Written By: Ripley on 05/16/17 at 11:18 pm

I'll send the links your way in a jiffy. And as far as Breana goes, I'll be a walking spoiler alert and tell you they have since split up, finally. They were on Iyanla: Fix my Life, it was a mess start to finish, found out more tragedy about Taryll (he'd been molested as a child, as was his older brother Taj, both by a member from their mother's side of the family. If anything happened to TJ, he hasn't sad anything. I hope it hasn't.) I just couldn't treat a man the way Breana treated Taryll. It's not about him being a Jackson or a quasi-celebrity, I mean, just as a man. I couldn't do that to any man, not a man who I claim I love and fathered my kids. I feel like if I did talk to a man like that, he'd slap me back into 70s or something. And I'd probably deserve that smack too if I cut up like that.
But they have gone their separate ways. I hope Taryll finds someone to make him happy. (no one volunteer me, I'm not his type.)
And I don't think it's gossip, but you say "Jackson" and everyone comes out the wood work. LOL.

That's so sad. Anytime there is molestation. I'm glad he has the courage to openly talk about these things. And I want him to find someone to make him happy.

Written By: nally on 09/18/22 at 12:01 am

I love MusicChoice!

I love Music Choice too. :)

I admit I haven’t listened to its channels much lately, except for the Soundscapes and Light Classical channels (which I find relaxing), but it is always there for me when I need it.
More recently, however, I’ve had an Amazon Fire tablet, on which I installed a SiriusXM app, so I can use that anytime to listen to music. And I’ve gotten hooked on many of the channels it has to offer. The app also has Pandora channels, which have also gotten me hooked on certain artists, especially when they play deep cuts or lesser known songs by said artists. This has helped me find out about more than just the hit songs.

Check for new replies or respond here...