inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Grunge / Post-Grunge Thread.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/08/17 at 5:40 am

This is inspired by Jordan's Pop Punk Thread. Basically this is a thread for discussing and sharing grunge and post-grunge, whether it be old or new. I know that grunge / post-grunge isn't exactly liked by a lot of people on inthe00s, but I couldn't resist creating a thread for it.  :-X

Here are a few of my favourite grunge / post-grunge songs;
Alive - Pearl Jam (1991)
In Bloom - Nirvana (1992)
All Apologies - Nirvana (1993)
Shine - Collective Soul (1994)
Zombie - The Cranberries (1994)
Tomorrow - Silverchair (1994)
Betterman - Pearl Jam (1994)
Bullet With Butterfly Wings - The Smashing Pumpkins (1995)
Comedown - Bush (1995)
Spaceman - Babylon Zoo (1996)
Calypso - Spiderbait (1996)
Glycerine - Bush (1996)
Everlong - Foo Fighters (1997)
Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down (1999)
With Arms Wide Open - Creed (2000)

Subject: Re: The Grunge / Post-Grunge Thread.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/08/17 at 10:39 am

I know it's fashionable to hate on Post-Grunge (and even Grunge itself to an extent) these days, but you know what, I don't really care. I grew up with his stuff, and it still kicks ass to me, even if some of it might be corny as hell. Everlong is one of my favorite songs of all-time, Comedown by Bush is awesome, even though the lyrics are stupid, and Collective Soul rocks, even if some music purists want to pretend like they don't. 8)

I still wont defend Nickleback, though. There's no amount of early '00s nostalgia that will ever make Someday a good song. 8-P

Anyways, I like some of those Post-Grunge one hit wonders that we had back in the mid-to-late '90s. People called them "Bubble Grunge" at the time because of how poppy the songs sounded. They were kinda stupid in hindsight, but the songs were catchy as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ClCpfeIELw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfg6-4mBs6Y

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/10/17 at 4:55 am

I know it's fashionable to hate on Post-Grunge (and even Grunge itself to an extent) these days, but you know what, I don't really care. I grew up with his stuff, and it still kicks ass to me, even if some of it might be corny as hell.

That's completely understandable. Although I didn't experience the height of Grunge at first hand, I can somewhat relate, as my parents have always liked 90s grunge / post-grunge and I listened to those bands when I was growing up.

and Collective Soul rocks, even if some music purists want to pretend like they don't. 8)

Yep. I think the sole reason behind Collective Soul receiving a lot of criticism, is because they were one of the first post-grunge bands to achieve success in the mainstream. They're definitely not as bad as people make them out to be. Collective Soul is one of my Mum's favourite bands, so I listened to their first two albums a lot growing up. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to their albums, but I do like "Shine" and "The World I Know".

I still wont defend Nickleback, though. There's no amount of early '00s nostalgia that will ever make Someday a good song. 8-P

I absolutely agree! In all honesty, the only Nickleback song that I don't mind is "How You Remind Me", although it's not a song that I would choose to listen to. Apparently their earliest material (before they entered the mainstream) is less poppy and more grunge influenced, but I haven't actually listened to any of their Mid-Late 90s songs before. As someone who had to listen to a lot of Nickleback growing up, they're definitely not a band that I look back on with a lot of nostalgia either. :P

Anyways, I like some of those Post-Grunge one hit wonders that we had back in the mid-to-late '90s. People called them "Bubble Grunge" at the time because of how poppy the songs sounded. They were kinda stupid in hindsight, but the songs were catchy as hell.

"Breakfast At Tiffany's" and "If You Could Only See" aren't too bad. They're definitely better than most of the post-grunge songs which were released during the 2000s!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/11/17 at 10:39 am

That's completely understandable. Although I didn't experience the height of Grunge at first hand, I can somewhat relate, as my parents have always liked 90s grunge / post-grunge and I listened to those bands when I was growing up.

I didn't really experience the absolute peak of Grunge firsthand myself (I was only 4-7 years old from 1991-1994 so not really into music yet), but I still consider myself having "grown up" with it since by the time I did first start paying attention to pop culture in 1995 and 1996 those early Grunge bands were still extremely popular and receiving airplay on Top 40 radio stations.

As for First Wave Post-Grunge in the mid-to-late '90s, I certainly grew up with that and own many of those albums (like Throwing Copper by Live, Sixteen Stone by Bush, etc.) on CD. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of that stuff if extremely cheesy, but it also has a certain nostalgic value for me as well.

Yep. I think the sole reason behind Collective Soul receiving a lot of criticism, is because they were one of the first post-grunge bands to achieve success in the mainstream. They're definitely not as bad as people make them out to be. Collective Soul is one of my Mum's favourite bands, so I listened to their first two albums a lot growing up. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to their albums, but I do like "Shine" and "The World I Know".

I had Collective Soul Greatest Hits: 1994-2001 on CD back in the day and played that album so much I wore it out. Again, some of their songs are extremely cheesy, but all of them are fun and catchy, which is why I like the band so much. 8)

Here's another one for you, although this is early '00s. Hemorrhage (In My Hands) by Fuel. Damn, this song takes me back. Huge nostalgia. It was #1 on the Modern Rock chart for 12 weeks and dominated the radio during the 2000-01 school year. Fuel wasn't really a one hit wonder, as they had a few other hit songs, but never any close to being as big as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHfgXJKn1Y

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/11/17 at 3:30 pm

HOOOLLLL MEEEAAAAHHHH CCLLOOOOOSSSS IMMM SEEEIIIXXXXX FEEE FRRRAAMMM THEEE EDDGGGEE N IMM THINNKKKINNAAAHH MAYYBEEE SEEEIIXXXX FEEE AIINNNTTT SOOO FAAAAAHHH DOWWWWNNNN

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/22/17 at 6:47 am

It wouldn't be a Grunge thread without sharing a song by Soundgarden. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOOgQtLI4M

This is one of their earliest singles. The song was released in 1989, meaning that Soundgarden had yet to enter the mainstream when it was released. I only became aware of this song a few days ago, when I was watching a tribute special for the late great Chris Cornell. I can see this becoming one of my favourite Soundgarden songs.  8) It's pretty bad that I only became aware of it a few days ago, when I have the song on the Soundgarden Greatest Hits CD that I own. :P Mind you, I have only owned the CD since Christmas and I haven't listened to it completely yet.

As for First Wave Post-Grunge in the mid-to-late '90s, I certainly grew up with that and own many of those albums (like Throwing Copper by Live, Sixteen Stone by Bush, etc.) on CD. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of that stuff if extremely cheesy, but it also has a certain nostalgic value for me as well.

Personally I don't find any of the First Wave Post-Grunge bands to be cheesy. Obviously there would be a fair few Post-Grunge songs from the Mid-Late 90s that I haven't listened to before, but songs by bands such as Bush, Live, Collective Soul and the Foo Fighters have generally aged well and still sound authentic. They're definitely not as cheesy as Creed and Nickelback. :P

Here's another one for you, although this is early '00s. Hemorrhage (In My Hands) by Fuel. Damn, this song takes me back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHfgXJKn1Y

It's not too bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it, in all honesty. I'm generally not a fan of 2000s post-grunge.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/05/17 at 6:15 am

Here's a good song from 1992; "Pretend We're Dead" by the Los Angeles band, L7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdlZ2F-fs8

Check for new replies or respond here...