inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs which have cult followings in your country

Written By: aja675 on 05/10/17 at 6:41 am

You know this phenomenon? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff
Could you think of any songs that became more popular in your country than in others, especially the countries these songs came from?

Subject: Re: Songs which have cult followings in your country

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/17 at 7:10 am

You know this phenomenon? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff
Could you think of any songs that became more popular in your country than in others, especially the countries these songs came from?
Many moons ago The Hoff was a cult topic for these boards, but now he seems forgotten about.

The Germans love him so much he was allowed to sing at the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Subject: Re: Songs which have a cult following in your country

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/10/17 at 7:14 am

Summer Rain - Belinda Carlisle (1989) - This song was only a minor hit in the US and UK, but it was a big hit in Australia in 1990. It peaked at #6 on the Top-40 ARIA charts and it finished at #40 on the 1990 end of year chart.

Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus (2000) - It always amazes me that "Teenage Dirtbag" was never a hit in the US. It didn't even chart on the Billlboard Hot 100! "Teenage Dirtbag" was an absolutely massive hit in Australia. It stayed at #1 for four consecutive weeks and it was certified 3x Platinum. The song was the second best-selling single of 2000, despite the fact that the single was only released in July.

Written By: aja675 on 05/12/17 at 10:31 am

Summer Rain - Belinda Carlisle (1989) - This song was only a minor hit in the US and UK, but it was a big hit in Australia in 1990. It peaked at #6 on the Top-40 ARIA charts and it finished at #40 on the 1990 end of year chart.

Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus (2000) - It always amazes me that "Teenage Dirtbag" was never a hit in the US. It didn't even chart on the Billlboard Hot 100! "Teenage Dirtbag" was an absolutely massive hit in Australia. It stayed at #1 for four consecutive weeks and it was certified 3x Platinum. The song was the second best-selling single of 2000, despite the fact that the single was only released in July.
BTW, like I've said before, a surprising amount of Aussie ballads become popular in the Philippines way back in the '90s.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/13/17 at 4:12 am

BTW, like I've said before, a surprising amount of Aussie ballads become popular in the Philippines way back in the '90s.

I wonder why that was the case? Was there a movie or TV show which helped increase the popularity of Australian music in the Philippines at the time? Maybe it had something to do with the internet and the world wide web? A similar scenario happened in the US back in the Early 80s. The US had a massive interest in Australia at the time, and songs such as "Down Under", "Jessie's Girl" "Back in Black" and "Physical" all achieved great success on the Billboard Hot 100.

Written By: aja675 on 05/13/17 at 6:03 am

I wonder why that was the case? Was there a movie or TV show which helped increase the popularity of Australian music in the Philippines at the time? Maybe it had something to do with the internet and the world wide web? A similar scenario happened in the US back in the Early 80s. The US had a massive interest in Australia at the time, and songs such as "Down Under", "Jessie's Girl" "Back in Black" and "Physical" all achieved great success on the Billboard Hot 100.
If anything, it was before the popularity of the World Wide Web. I'm guessing that has more to do with Australia being the nearest culturally Western country to us, at least distance-wise. (Although we culturally have more ties to America, and whatever is popular in America is also popular here. Hell, the rich people in my country are essentially white people in disguise.)

Written By: aja675 on 05/15/17 at 7:11 am

KyGwVicyZAE

Written By: aja675 on 05/16/17 at 10:12 am

rpb_5ZaFNrg

Written By: aja675 on 05/18/17 at 10:10 am

Mktlac3D7H0
ABaWoXLBRa4

Written By: aja675 on 05/18/17 at 10:26 am

HOK10pX4KWg
Klippers- Step Into The Rhythm

Written By: aja675 on 05/18/17 at 10:33 am

Nzz3l0kRlHA
Qk0DycgVn6Y

Funny misheard lyrics for the first song I read in a joke book- "Do you wanna eat a poet- with rice?''

Written By: Fearsword on 05/22/17 at 8:30 am

The Horses-Daryl Braithwaite

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/02/17 at 8:09 am

Here's another one; "Cherry Lips" by Garbage. This song didn't even chart in the US, but it was an absolutely massive hit in Australia. Not only did the song peak at #7 on the ARIA Top-40 in 2002, it peaked at #1 on the Alternative chart, #2 on the Airplay chart, #3 on the Club chart and the song was certified gold. It stayed in the ARIA Top-100 chart for over fifteen weeks and the song sold over 35,000 units in Australia alone. The album also topped the Australian album charts. "Cherry Lips" was actually Garbage's most successful single release in Australia!  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy1LdAaGASw

Written By: aja675 on 06/02/17 at 9:02 pm

Here's another one; "Cherry Lips" by Garbage. This song didn't even chart in the US, but it was an absolutely massive hit in Australia. Not only did the song peak at #7 on the ARIA Top-40 in 2002, it peaked at #1 on the Alternative chart, #2 on the Airplay chart, #3 on the Club chart and the song was certified gold. It stayed in the ARIA Top-100 chart for over fifteen weeks and the song sold over 35,000 units in Australia alone. The album also topped the Australian album charts. "Cherry Lips" was actually Garbage's most successful single release in Australia!  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy1LdAaGASw
Was that the video I was creeped out by as a 4 or 5 year old because of the headless bodies, or was it something else?

Written By: aja675 on 06/29/17 at 12:32 am

OlMqyALzDkQ

This song may be Danish, but it appears to have been popular in Brazil.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/17 at 10:52 am

It was a massive hit in the UK as well.  I never understood why this song wasn't popular in the US.  It should have been one of the most popular songs of 2000.

Written By: aja675 on 07/13/17 at 10:05 am

OLTfDFxb6iI

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/13/17 at 10:46 am

There was a song that was a #1 hit single in the UK and Australia in 1969, that was not a hit here in the US at all, making it to only #70 on the Billboard chart. "Where Do You Go To My Lovely" by Peter Sarstedt. A rather mysterious song, it retains a cult following in some countries outside the US to this day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/17 at 10:35 pm

There was a song that was a #1 hit single in the UK and Australia in 1969, that was not a hit here in the US at all, making it to only #70 on the Billboard chart. "Where Do You Go To My Lovely" by Peter Sarstedt. A rather mysterious song, it retains a cult following in some countries outside the US to this day.
There is a longer version of this song with additional verses available somewhere.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/14/17 at 2:20 am

It was a massive hit in the UK as well.  I never understood why this song wasn't popular in the US.  It should have been one of the most popular songs of 2000.

Yep. When I first joined inthe00s, I thought it was really weird that no one ever spoke about "Teenage Dirtbag" when talking about the year 2000! :P

Written By: aja675 on 07/18/17 at 3:27 am

miyLBv04O5o Such a stereotypical song for graduations/Teacher's Days in the Philippines. :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/28/17 at 4:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

"Asshole" by Denis Leary. Although it was a minor hit on MTV, the song didn't even chart on the Billboard Hot 100! :o It didn't chart in the UK either. In contrast, "Asshole" was an absolutely massive hit in Australia. It reached #2 on our charts and remained on the charts for 15 weeks! It was also relatively successful in New Zealand, with the song reaching #22 on their charts.

Written By: aja675 on 08/28/17 at 6:48 am

PZsbdzskjmc

Check for new replies or respond here...