inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When are you TRULY a senior citizen?

Written By: Brian06 on 05/10/17 at 9:23 pm

When do you think people are officially full blown seniors? I think it's age 70. The transition starts around age 55, but that's just the start of a transition. The 60s are the transitional retirement age decade, but at age 70 it's no doubt you're an older person or a senior. 70 is a younger senior but still definitely a senior citizen. 65 is legally a senior citizen but I'd say since you're still in your 60s from 65-69, you can still claim to be cuspy. By 70 you've definitely entered your senior years.

Subject: Re: When are you TRULY a senior citizen?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/17 at 9:57 pm

Hard to say, in Japan it is 65, in the Philippines it is 60, and back home in the UK I calculate at 67. It all depends on where you live being recognised by the government.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/10/17 at 10:00 pm

Hard to say, in Japan it is 65, in the Philippines it is 60, and back home in the UK I calculate at 67. It all depends on where you live being recognised by the government.

Yeah generally like I said legally it is usually 65, but I don't think you seem like a true senior until 70 since the 60s are usually borderline. I actually think calling someone who's only like 61 for example a senior citizen is ridiculous and I'm only 30, but at 71 it does apply even if though as I said that's a younger senior citizen. Idk I just sorta see this big gap between age 60 and age 70.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 10:03 pm

I agree with you Brian. I think at 70 years old is when you are a true senior citizen. Adults ages 50-69 are older adults but not seniors, IMO.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/10/17 at 10:25 pm

I agree with you Brian. I think at 70 years old is when you are a true senior citizen. Adults ages 50-69 are older adults but not seniors, IMO.

Yeah my mom is now 68 which is scary, and she's already on social security and medicare but I keep saying well she's still in her 60s at least so she's not that old yet but when she hits 70 that's going to be more scary. Not to mention when 80, 90, etc. happen. But she still seems quite young for a woman in her late 60s I think.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 10:40 pm

Yeah my mom is now 68 which is scary, and she's already on social security and medicare but I keep saying well she's still in her 60s at least so she's not that old yet but when she hits 70 that's going to be more scary. Not to mention when 80, 90, etc. happen. But she still seems quite young for a woman in her late 60s I think.

That's great. My mom is going to turn 54 on May 29th (Memorial Day 2017) and she's definitely not a senior citizen but she's old enough to have AARP membership ;D.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/10/17 at 11:08 pm

The AARP says you're a senior at 50. I don't believe that one bit.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 11:11 pm

Me either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/17 at 11:17 pm

That is never an age to be senior!

Written By: Brian06 on 05/10/17 at 11:21 pm

Yeah 50 is more just when you're definitely not young anymore, but you're not a senior either. 40 is still sort of young in a way that 50 is not imo. But 50 is about right if you're just trying to separate the younger population from the older population which is probably what the AARP intends.

It's not that 50 is old, it's not at all. 55 (or even 60) or so is generally where people reach their absolute peak in life generally. It's just like a 41 year old president/CEO for example would seem kind of surprisingly young compared to a 51 year old president/CEO which seems more normal. Early 40s especially still has that kind of youthfulness where it still seems very young for the highest positions in the world, whereas 50s (even 60s) is more the expected age. 50 is just kinda the very start of when you can start to call yourself "older" (way moreso than 40 which I think is still kinda young), NOT old or senior citizen or anything like that, just slightly older that's all.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/11/17 at 12:18 pm

Probably around age 40 or something.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/17 at 1:40 pm

In my opinion, age 65 is when you are considered to be a senior citizen in terms of Social Security.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/17 at 1:56 pm

That means you got a few years left, how's it feel gramps?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/17 at 3:51 pm

How is age 40 a senior citizen Jordan?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/11/17 at 3:52 pm

by age 65 from there on in you can receive Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/17 at 3:54 pm

How is age 40 a senior citizen Jordan?  ::)

Yeah, Jordan???  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 4:10 pm

50-55. Yeah, I have seen statements saying that it's higher than that; however, let's be honest for a sec. While 65+ folks personally don't see you as a old person in that age range, objectively one would be considered a senior citizen in a way.

Just because people are living longer does not mean the expectancy has increased.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/17 at 4:14 pm

Yeah, Jordan???  :P

when I turned 40 I was a "young man".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 4:24 pm

50-55. Yeah, I have seen statements saying that it's higher than that; however, let's be honest for a sec. While 65+ folks personally don't see you as a old person in that age range, objectively one would be considered a senior citizen in a way.

Just because people are living longer does not mean the expectancy has increased.

No way man. 50-55 is not a senior citizen. If so then that means you are almost halfway a ways away from being a senior citizen. Ridiculous.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/17 at 4:27 pm

when I turned 40 I was a "young man".

We still are. Screw the haters!  ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 4:29 pm

We still are. Screw the haters!  ;)

You turn 47 in November...so in 3 years you'll become a senior citizen according to UltraGameDog :-X.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/17 at 4:32 pm

You certainly feel senior when your bones start creaking every time you move.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/17 at 4:33 pm

You turn 47 in November...so in 3 years you'll become a senior citizen according to UltraGameDog :-X.

Hey, watch it or I'll whop you upside the head with my cane!  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 4:35 pm

Hey, watch it or I'll whop you upside the head with my cane!  :o

Hey, don't shoot me (I'm just the messenger). UltraGameDog is one who thinks that not me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 4:46 pm

No way man. 50-55 is not a senior citizen. If so then that means you are almost halfway a ways away from being a senior citizen. Ridiculous.
They might not be truly be senior citizens, but they doesn't mean they aren't old. I'm looking at this from an objective perspective. With that said though, old people can be beautiful as well. Just look at your parents, and your G-parents. ;) ;)

Hey, don't shoot me (I'm just the messenger). UltraGameDog is one who thinks that not me.
Well that's phase one. ;D ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/17 at 4:48 pm

You know, I was having a heckuva time trying to navigate this site on mobile until I got my new Jitterbug phone.  :D

https://m.jitterbugdirect.com

Written By: 80sfan on 05/11/17 at 4:49 pm

Personally, for me, 60, or older.  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 4:58 pm

They might not be truly be senior citizens, but they doesn't mean they aren't old. I'm looking at this from an objective perspective. With that said though, old people can be beautiful as well. Just look at your parents, and your G-parents. ;) ;)

A 50 year old is an older person but not a senior. Being old and being a senior citizen a is not the same/aren't synonyms ;).

Well that's phase one. ;D ;D

Phase One of what? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 5:00 pm

You know, I was having a heckuva time trying to navigate this site on mobile until I got my new Jitterbug phone.  :D

https://m.jitterbugdirect.com

You still have a flippy?. No wonder UltraGameDog thinks 50 year olds are senior citizens ;D ;D ;).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 5:01 pm

A 50 year old is an older person but not a senior. Being old and being a senior citizen a is not the same/aren't synonyms ;).
Phase One of what? ???
Well, they were at one point. Besides, they are still somewhat considered one especially since the expectancy has not dramatically increased.

Old age :D ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 5:03 pm

Well, they were at one point. Besides, they are still somewhat considered one especially since the expectancy has not dramatically increased.

Old age :D ;D

Nah, most people don't consider 50 year olds to be seniors but....whatevs.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 5:05 pm

Nah, most people don't consider 50 year olds to be seniors but....whatevs.
Not in today's time, but 50 or even 100 years ago that was the case.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 5:08 pm

Not in today's time, but 50 or even 100 years ago that was the case.

Nah fam....even now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 5:12 pm

Nah fam....even now.
Huh? ???

I'm actually agreeing with you. That's not the case today, but 40, 50, and even 100 years ago, 50 was pretty much a senior citizen.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 5:18 pm

Huh? ???

I'm actually agreeing with you. That's not the case today, but 40, 50, and even 100 years ago, 50 was pretty much a senior citizen.

OH OK, my bad. Thanks for agreeing.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 5:22 pm

OH OK, my bad. Thanks for agreeing.
You're welcome! ;)

Written By: 2001 on 05/11/17 at 5:55 pm

It's 67 over here, sounds about right to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/17 at 6:04 pm

The term 'senior citizen' was apparently coined in 1938 during a political campaign. Famed caricaturist Al Hirschfeld claimed on several occasion that his father Isaac Hirschfeld invented the term 'senior citizen'. It has come into widespread use in recent decades in legislation, commerce, and common speech. Especially in less formal contexts, it is often abbreviated as "senior(s)", which is also used as an adjective.

In commerce, some businesses offer customers of a certain age a "senior discount". The age at which these discounts are available varies between 55, 60, 62 or 65, and other criteria may also apply. Sometimes a special "senior discount card" or other proof of age needs to be obtained and produced to show entitlement.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/17 at 6:48 pm

65+ is the "traditional" age number for a senior citizen. However, in some states, you can get a senior discount if you're 55+.
Until recently, for the UK it 65 for men and 60 for women, and with the life expectancy increasing the government change all that.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/11/17 at 7:20 pm

When you throw my ass in the old folks home. Shady Pines Ma, Shady Pines!

Written By: 2001 on 05/11/17 at 7:28 pm

Until recently, for the UK it 65 for men and 60 for women, and with the life expectancy increasing the government change all that.

That's peculiar how it's lower for women, when women tend to live longer lives. :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 7:32 pm

When you throw my ass in the old folks home. Shady Pines Ma, Shady Pines!

Golden Girls....awesome 8).

Written By: 80sfan on 05/11/17 at 7:42 pm

One woman, once said, that she had a crusty.....:-X  :-X  :-X ...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/17 at 7:46 pm

That's peculiar how it's lower for women, when women tend to live longer lives. :o
That was how the cookie crumbled back then?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/17 at 8:08 am

You certainly feel senior when your bones start creaking every time you move.

and getting arthritis.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/17 at 8:26 am

and getting arthritis.
...and other bodily ailments?

Written By: mqg96 on 05/12/17 at 9:16 am

Whenever you retire from a major job you had for 20+ years between your late 50's and 60's.

Or age 60+ in general.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/12/17 at 9:19 am

I say late 50's at the earliest if you retire from a major 20+ year job, now someone in their late 50's who hasn't retired yet, then I would extend to 60's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/17 at 2:50 pm

Whenever you retire from a major job you had for 20+ years between your late 50's and 60's.

Or age 60+ in general.
Nowadays with the majority of employed positions are contractual and now it is harder to have a job for 20+ years.

Written By: 2001 on 05/16/17 at 2:24 pm

I say late 50's at the earliest if you retire from a major 20+ year job, now someone in their late 50's who hasn't retired yet, then I would extend to 60's.

People in their late 50s don't get sick very often and can be very healthy. Even if they're retired, I wouldn't call them seniors. How many people in their late 50s are retired anyway? With life expectancies reaching 80-100 these days and with the stock market crash that happened, I don't think it's many.  :o

Unless it's a third world country, then senior starts at 45.  :-X

Written By: violet_shy on 05/17/17 at 4:17 pm

65 and older

Written By: mqg96 on 05/17/17 at 4:20 pm

Donald Trump will be 71 next month, is he still considered as a senior citizen being president with heavy responsibilities?

Written By: mqg96 on 05/17/17 at 4:23 pm

Here's what senior citizen says in the dictionary.

an elderly person, especially one who is retired and living on a pension.

see, I knew it was a combination of being late 50's/60's+ and being retired from a major career job, it's not just about a specific elder age.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/17 at 4:41 pm

70 at the oldest, 50 at the youngest.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/17/17 at 4:50 pm

Donald Trump will be 71 next month, is he still considered as a senior citizen being president with heavy responsibilities?

Donald Trump is a senior citizen to me. He could be retired if he wanted, he qualified for AARP 21 years ago (1996), he's old enough for a pension, he's been old enough for Social Security benefits for 6 years (since 2011). Donald is definitely a senior citizen....so is Hillary Clinton (and Bill) & Bernie Sanders.

Just because he is rather "spring" for a (almost) 71 year old doesn't change the fact that he's a senior. Trump, George W. Bush & Bill Clinton were all born in 1946. I think people associate senior citizen with being old and "being old" means living in a retirement home, being physically weak, having speaking problems, etc but that's unfair because not everyone is like that when they become old.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/17/17 at 4:51 pm

70 at the oldest, 50 at the youngest.

For me, it's 70 the oldest and 60 the youngest.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/17 at 4:59 pm

For me, it's 70 the oldest and 60 the youngest.

I think in my city, 55 is when you're a senior citizen. But yeah, 60 sounds good.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/17/17 at 9:51 pm

When the discounts kick in

Written By: Howard on 05/18/17 at 7:16 am

Yes.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/17 at 7:18 am

When the discounts kick in

and when you get the first seat on the bus.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/19/17 at 4:44 pm

I think 50 is too young to be a Senior citizen. Nobody retires at 50 and a 50 year old can't even get life insurance.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/17 at 11:12 pm

I think 50 is too young to be a Senior citizen. Nobody retires at 50 and a 50 year old can't even get life insurance.
Agreed, senior is senior and that means old!

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 5:36 am

You'd have to wait another 15 more years.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/21/17 at 12:52 am

He's a younger senior citizen (which is still a lot different than an older senior of 90) but anything over 70 is definitely solidly senior. 60s is cusp/transitional but once you're 70 that's definitely clearly senior citizen.

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/17 at 1:49 pm

Trump is definitely a senior. He needs to hold people's hands while walking up and down stairs.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/17 at 4:59 pm

Trump is definitely a senior. He needs to hold people's hands while walking up and down stairs.

He has his other people holding his hands. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/17 at 7:29 pm

When do you think people are officially full blown seniors? I think it's age 70. The transition starts around age 55, but that's just the start of a transition. The 60s are the transitional retirement age decade, but at age 70 it's no doubt you're an older person or a senior. 70 is a younger senior but still definitely a senior citizen. 65 is legally a senior citizen but I'd say since you're still in your 60s from 65-69, you can still claim to be cuspy. By 70 you've definitely entered your senior years.
When tickets to the cinema become cheaper!

Written By: Howard on 05/26/17 at 3:37 pm

When tickets to the cinema become cheaper!

and you get senior citizen discounts at diners.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/26/17 at 5:58 pm

Here is my take on the whole thing. You can't base it on a monetary notion like Social Security or pensions or discounts.
The Government has been robbing Social Security for years and they keep raising the eligibility age because people are
living longer and they want to pay out as little as possible for as short a period as possible so as to not lose their cash
cow. The same goes for pensions, medicaid and such. Store discounts aren't anything, having grey hair means you don't
have to rummage for a coupon, the store is still making a profit.

Okay, that being said. The human life expectancy is roughly 80 years, slight differences between men and woman and
where you live but it is still roughly 80 years. Generation gaps are roughly 20 years, so when you are within 20 years
of the life expectancy you are a senior.

Check for new replies or respond here...