inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the use of the term millennial will decline?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/15/17 at 12:01 pm

Disclaimer: This topic is not about the boundaries of the generation, but the name of them.

I have read tons of reports stating that Millennials themselves hate the word due its negative connotation, and the abuse of the designation. In addition, it seems that Millennial is being seen as a mindset instead of an actual generation. I have a main feeling, the usage of Millennial will decrease in the future; So be it that Generation Y, or Echo Boomers (another name for this generation) will make a comeback.

Do you all agree?

Subject: Re: Do you think the use of the term millennial will decline?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/15/17 at 12:15 pm

Gen Y won't make a comeback. Too esoteric.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/15/17 at 12:24 pm

Explain why. It's because every time I'm on other sites where generations are discussed, more people seem to prefer Gen Y over Millennial.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/15/17 at 12:39 pm

To me, Gen Y wounds too generic and bland. Like, Y? Are we a chromosome, or a gene?  ;D  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/15/17 at 12:40 pm

Millennial actually sounds cool, and catchy.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/15/17 at 12:55 pm

To me, Gen Y wounds too generic and bland. Like, Y? Are we a chromosome, or a gene?  ;D  ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Millennial actually sounds cool, and catchy.
Yeah, it does; however, due to the abuse the term has received I doubt it will last long. Besides, the word comes from the fact that this generation grew up around the Millennium. Plus,  they also witnessed it as well

Written By: 80sfan on 05/15/17 at 1:05 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yeah, it does; however, due to the abuse the term has received I doubt it will last long. Besides, the word comes from the fact that this generation grew up around the Millennium. Plus,  they also witnessed it as well

Millennial can mean 'lazy', 'narcissistic', 'oversensitive', 'spoiled', 'entitled', and/or 'whiny'. My guess is you mean that when people abuse the word Millennial. But not all Millennials are like that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/15/17 at 1:09 pm

Millennial can mean 'lazy', 'narcissistic', 'oversensitive', 'spoiled', 'entitled', and/or 'whiny'. My guess is you mean that when people abuse the word Millennial. But not all Millennials are like that.
Right, and I wish the folks who abuse the term would realize that being a Millennial is not a mindset. It's a generation!

Written By: bchris02 on 05/15/17 at 3:43 pm

As I've discussed before, the media needs to learn what a "millennial" actually is.  They use it as synonymous with somebody who is in late adolescence or early adulthood.  The first step is to start using the term correctly.

Regardless of the stigma, it's a generation and I doubt the usage will decline.  It's too entrenched these days.  For older members of this board, you probably remember that Gen X had quite a stigma back in the '90s and that has diffused over time.  It's likely the same will be for millennials.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/15/17 at 4:14 pm

As I've discussed before, the media needs to learn what a "millennial" actually is.  They use it as synonymous with somebody who is in late adolescence or early adulthood.  The first step is to start using the term correctly.

Regardless of the stigma, it's a generation and I doubt the usage will decline.  It's too entrenched these days.  For older members of this board, you probably remember that Gen X had quite a stigma back in the '90s and that has diffused over time.  It's likely the same will be for millennials.
You nailed it! I really wish the media knew who a Millennial truly is, and realize that not all of them are in late adolescence nor early adulthood. Most Millennials are beyond that phase with some even in their 30s. Plus many of them have families, homes/apartments, and jobs.

I think that time could be coming soon since Generation Z will be taking over that spot (or maybe they already have). Oh, and yeah I did hear that Gen X themselves had stigma back in the '90s; however like you said, it has dramatically decreased over the years. They are now forgotten in a way.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/17 at 5:37 pm

Personally, I have never used the term in the first place.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/15/17 at 5:44 pm

You nailed it! I really wish the media knew who a Millennial truly is, and realize that not all of them are in late adolescence nor early adulthood. Most Millennials are beyond that phase with some even in their 30s. Plus many of them have families, homes/apartments, and jobs.

I think that time could be coming soon since Generation Z will be taking over that spot (or maybe they already have). Oh, and yeah I did hear that Gen X themselves had stigma back in the '90s; however like you said, it has dramatically decreased over the years. They are now forgotten in a way.

There are posts from 2005 where Gen Xers were talking about how in 1997 the media was still using Gen X that way for the barely legal crowd (when the older ones were already late 20s/early 30s), but as time passed that changed (definitely by the mid 00s when most Gen X was in their 30s and some even turning 40). Once those people born in the 2000s start coming of age (very soon) in the 2020s, it'll start changing definitely.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/15/17 at 7:01 pm

The youngest Millennials are 16/17.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/15/17 at 11:44 pm

As I said before, the Buzzfeed video on generations helped "redpill" the normies on generations somewhat. Now I see more people acknowledging Gen Z as a concept.

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/16/17 at 12:19 am

The stigma surrounding it will eventually fade, but the term itself is here to stay because it carries significant cultural heft ('Millennial' is now synonymous with the 2010s, the era in which the eponymous generation is making their mark) on top of being nominally unique and accurate. I agree with 90sBreath; 'Millennial' sounds much cooler and more cutting-edge, while 'Gen Y' only implies that it succeeds Gen X.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/16/17 at 12:20 am

I actually want Buzzfeed to do a video comparing Gen Y and Gen Z culture, it'd be interesting. I hate most of their content, but their Gen X vs Gen Y video and their Generations Throughout History video were actually good.

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/16/17 at 12:24 am

I actually want Buzzfeed to do a video comparing Gen Y and Gen Z culture, it'd be interesting. I hate most of their content, but their Gen X vs Gen Y video and their Generations Throughout History video were actually good.

Zers are still way too young for anyone to have any sort of real understanding of what their generation is all about. The oldest members are still lowerclassmen in high school, while the youngest ones may not even exist yet.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/16/17 at 1:45 am

It'll just happen more over time as more of them turn 30 and 21st century born people start turning 18. It's just a process. I can definitely tell you that now actually being 30 myself, I definitely feel like I'm personally (not talking about generations but me personally) definitely seen as much less young now than back when I was 25 and that's only 5 years. 5 years is kind of longer than we think a lot of times, in some ways it seems like nothing, but quite a bit can actually change in that amount of time and we all get a bit older.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/17 at 5:13 pm

There are posts from 2005 where Gen Xers were talking about how in 1997 the media was still using Gen X that way for the barely legal crowd (when the older ones were already late 20s/early 30s), but as time passed that changed (definitely by the mid 00s when most Gen X was in their 30s and some even turning 40). Once those people born in the 2000s start coming of age (very soon) in the 2020s, it'll start changing definitely.
Yeah, I can see that happening. The early 00s folks will be coming of age in the next few years.

The youngest Millennials are 16/17.
That's up for debate. 2000 is the #3 cutoff for Millennials

The stigma surrounding it will eventually fade, but the term itself is here to stay because it carries significant cultural heft ('Millennial' is now synonymous with the 2010s, the era in which the eponymous generation is making their mark) on top of being nominally unique and accurate. I agree with 90sBreath; 'Millennial' sounds much cooler and more cutting-edge, while 'Gen Y' only implies that it succeeds Gen X.
Hopefully, the stigma fades much sooner. It seems that Millennials have become this huge laughingstock that even previous generations (while they had their own humiliations) didn't have.

Isn't the term also synonymous with the 2000s? That's when Millennials began making their move, and there were many articles about them.

I can see them doing that in the future. If they made a Gen X vs Gen Y video, then they can definitely make a Gen Y and Gen Z one.

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/16/17 at 10:55 pm

Isn't the term also synonymous with the 2000s? That's when Millennials began making their move, and there were many articles about them.
I can see them doing that in the future. If they made a Gen X vs Gen Y video, then they can definitely make a Gen Y and Gen Z one.

I can't say for sure, as I wasn't into these topics back then. The first time I learned about our generation was when someone in my history class said "Generation Y2K" (not just "Generation Y").

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/17/17 at 9:14 am

I see the term gone by the 2020s. I'll miss it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/28/17 at 4:50 pm

I can't say for sure, as I wasn't into these topics back then. The first time I learned about our generation was when someone in my history class said "Generation Y2K" (not just "Generation Y").
Oh. I see. The first time I heard the term was in a book (can't remember) and that was in 2008, and I recall the seeing the span in the book ending with 1994.

I see the term gone by the 2020s. I'll miss it.
How come?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I wanted to say I found a PDF file of S&H's famous book. I think you all should check it out.

https://ia801200.us.archive.org/10/items/GenerationsTheHistoryOfAmericasFuture1584To2069ByWilliamStraussNeilHowe/Generations%20The%20History%20of%20America's%20Future,%201584%20to%202069%20by%20William%20Strauss%20&%20Neil%20Howe.pdf

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/28/17 at 5:10 pm

The problem with the term is that it is associated, now, with the younger members of the generation. Which makes older members antsy.

Like, even if you use the common, short, simple range of 1980-1995, you'll always, without fail, get someone born in the 80s bitching about how he is "lumped in with spoiled mid 90s SJW brats" or how "Anyone born after 1990 doesn't remember world without Internet, their brains are wired differently from us 80s babies".

Older Millennials are such snowflakes that they believe we should get rid of the 15-year generation model and instead everyone should get their own "special", 2-6 year generation.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/28/17 at 5:26 pm

The problem with the term is that it is associated, now, with the younger members of the generation. Which makes older members antsy.

Like, even if you use the common, short, simple range of 1980-1995, you'll always, without fail, get someone born in the 80s bitching about how he is "lumped in with spoiled mid 90s SJW brats" or how "Anyone born after 1990 doesn't remember world without Internet, their brains are wired differently from us 80s babies".

Older Millennials are such snowflakes that they believe we should get rid of the 15-year generation model and instead everyone should get their own "special", 2-6 year generation.
I've seen them do that too much. It seems that some don't realize that despite gaining popularity with Windows '95, the the internet wasn't even 50% and over until 2001. Plus, the mid 90s folks being spoiled SJW brats are actually in the minority. Most younger Millennials are ordinary people like them.

I definitely agree that they are snowflakes, and don't even know it! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 5:41 pm

I've seen them do that too much. It seems that some don't realize that despite gaining popularity with Windows '95, the the internet wasn't even 50% and over until 2001. Plus, the mid 90s folks being spoiled SJW brats are actually in the minority. Most younger Millennials are ordinary people like them.

I definitely agree that they are snowflakes, and don't even know it! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

There are a lot of people born in 1997-1999 that are SJW brats as well.....and it doesn't feel good being around them or to knock some sense into them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/28/17 at 6:02 pm

There are a lot of people born in 1997-1999 that are SJW brats as well.....and it doesn't feel good being around them or to knock some sense into them.
Yeah, that's true; however, the # of them being SJWs are still a minority.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 6:06 pm

SJWs are a pain but however I see more people in this country defending Neo-Nazis than SJWs. Interesting, very interesting.......

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/28/17 at 6:11 pm

SJWs are a pain but however, I see more people in this country defending Neo-Nazis than SJWs. Interesting, very interesting.......
I know, and it's awful! Neo-Nazis are worse than SJWs.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 6:14 pm

I know, and it's awful! Neo-Nazis are worse than SJWs.

Absolutely.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/28/17 at 6:30 pm

I don't think the term Millennial will decline because the media won't let it. If anything, it will get worse before it gets better. Everything now must have  a name, a label, a soundbite and people simply fall for it. So we've got Millennials, Gen X, the Boomers and the relatively recent "Greatest Generation", coined, or at least made popular by, journalist Tom Brokaw to describe the now almost extinct WW2 generation.  This supplants the previous, lesser used "Silent Generation" which now seems to have gone the way of  the tentative "Generation Y".

Once one of these words or phrases takes hold in popular culture these days, it's very tough to get rid of. An example is the term "Black Friday" used to describe the day after Thanksgiving as a major shopping day. Although Wikipedia indicates that the term goes back as far as 1961, when I was young in the 60s and 70s the term was NEVER, EVER used or heard of. Nor was it in the 80s. Somewhere well in the 90s or even 2000s it took hold, and now it is so prevalent and such a "given" that it is as if it had never not existed.

Another example is the rather inelegant term "bucket list" used to describe things one would like to do before one, well, "kicks the bucket". The term was popularized by a 2007 hit movie of the same name, (although a Slate magazine piece traces an earlier usage to 2004) and all of a sudden everyone has a "bucket list". Think of how embedded that term now is in our lexicon and then realize it only goes back to 2004 at the earliest. So I think we're stuck with "Millennial" for a while.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 9:08 pm

SJWs are a pain but however I see more people in this country defending Neo-Nazis than SJWs. Interesting, very interesting.......

They're usually just anonymous users with weird ideas on the Internet. Most of the time, they would have a fake picture and a fake username. Talk to any rational person and none of them would defend SJW's and Neo-Nazis.

Usually, it will look something like this:

Someone on YouTube named "John Doe" (making pseudonym up) with a picture of Pepe the Frog sympathizing with neo-Nazis.

Note: A lot of them tend to be /pol/ members (a vast majority of the outlet is made up of alt-right males) of 4chan. Usually, the people doing this are males, not really females. Probably for every 2500 males, there would be 1 female involved (yes, by that much). It's highly unlikely that the people doing this are female (not saying no girl/woman does this, just look at Evalion).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 9:32 pm

They're usually just anonymous users with weird ideas on the Internet. Most of the time, they would have a fake picture and a fake username. Talk to any rational person and none of them would defend SJW's and Neo-Nazis.

Someone on YouTube named "John Doe" (making pseudonym up) with a picture of Pepe the Frog sympathizing with neo-Nazis.

Note: A lot of them tend to be /pol/ members (a vast majority of the outlet is made up of alt-right males) of 4chan. Usually, the people doing this are males, not really females. Probably for every 2500 males, there would be 1 female involved (yes, by that much). It's highly unlikely that the people doing this are female (not saying no girl/woman does this, just look at Evalion).

I guess you're right.

However, on CNN's Facebook for example....I have seen comments on some posts about Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists where conservatives (some not all) defend the Neo-Nazi/White supremacist in the name of "freedom of speech" but yet those same conservatives are outraged when an SJW says that Trump's Muslim ban is racist. It's hypocritical and dangerous.

BTW, I meant no offense (I know that you're conservative).

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 9:39 pm

I guess you're right.

However, on CNN's Facebook for example....I have seen comments on some posts about Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists where conservatives (some not all) defend the Neo-Nazi/White supremacist in the name of "freedom of speech" but yet those same conservatives are outraged when an SJW says that Trump's Muslim ban is racist. It's hypocritical and dangerous.

BTW, I meant no offense (I know that you're conservative).

Or as some (including myself) would call them, they are basically the right wing equivalent of SJWs.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 9:46 pm

Or as some (including myself) would call them, they are basically the right wing equivalent of SJWs.

Yep, I totally agree.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/28/17 at 10:49 pm

I don't think the term Millennial will decline because the media won't let it. If anything, it will get worse before it gets better. Everything now must have a name, a label, a soundbite and people simply fall for it. So we've got Millennials, Gen X, the Boomers and the relatively recent "Greatest Generation", coined, or at least made popular by, journalist Tom Brokaw to describe the now almost extinct WW2 generation.  This supplants the previous, lesser used "Silent Generation" which now seems to have gone the way of the tentative "Generation Y".
I can understand that. I have a feeling that the term Millennial will finally have a positive connotation in the next few years after all the negativity it was getting. Furthermore, most Millennials themselves will be in their 30s making them more established in the world. Oh, and as for the GGs, they're actually two different generations. While "Greatest Generation" definitely refers in the WW2 cohort, the Silents is really the generation after them, and before the Boomers.

They're usually just anonymous users with weird ideas on the Internet. Most of the time, they would have a fake picture and a fake username. Talk to any rational person and none of them would defend SJWs and Neo-Nazis.

I've seen those plenty of times. It's a good thing that the Neo-Nazis are just as a minority as SJWs are.

On CNN's Facebook for example....I have seen comments on some posts about Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists where conservatives (some not all) defend the Neo-Nazi/White Supremacist in the name of "freedom of speech" but yet those same conservatives are outraged when an SJW says that Trump's Muslim ban is racist. It's hypocritical and dangerous.
I agree! They're biggest hypocrites I've ever seen. They're calling SJWs snowflakes, but they're the true snowflakes especially refusing to realize that Trump is not someone who one would want to model for success.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/28/17 at 10:54 pm

They also tend to use fake accounts with names like "Tyrone Jamal" or "Schlomo Shekelstein". These names are usually racist-sounding, because of course it pisses other people off and makes alt righters giggle to themselves.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/28/17 at 11:04 pm

Plus Trump is quite thin-skinned which is even more ironic. He says no other politician has been treated more unfairly than he has. ???
Well he deserves it because he treated others unfairly as well. I mean, just look at his wife. It seems she doesn't want to be with him anymore.

Check for new replies or respond here...