inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you have a musical Holy Grail?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/19/17 at 1:30 am

So when I was a kid I remember hearing a snippet of a song on the AM radio once or twice and then never hearing it again, and it's been torturing me ever since. I'd never heard it on any oldies stations or anything like that since then, and eventually I just wrote it off as being either a) something I may have just imagined or b) perhaps a local commercial jingle that got played for a few months and then got thrown away forever.  Either way I just figured it was one of those mysteries that I'd never solve, and the fact that today we have instant access to any song that has ever been recorded just made it even more maddening.

So tonight I was driving home from work, and SiriusXM had been announcing for the last few weeks that they're starting up a new all-Beatles channel and I figured I'd check it out.

And then this came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7UOs4LEYE

Holy crap, it was real after all. I kid you not, this has been torturing me for almost 40 years and tonight the mystery was finally solved. I had no idea that it was Sir Paul.

Tonight I found my musical Holy Grail.  :D

Do you have one?

Subject: Re: Do you have a musical Holy Grail?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/17 at 1:52 am

Yes, I have one.

It is a song from the 1980s or 1990s, I remember it in the British Charts. I heard on a car journey a last year and the DJ never announced the song or singer.

All I can say it contains native American chanting.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/19/17 at 2:04 am

I have one as well.

It is a rock song that was released in 2008. I remember when it was brand new and I really liked the song at the time, but I can't remember what it was called or who the band was. The only lyrics that I can remember from the song are;

"I can't get you out of my head (x3), you're the only one who knows me".

Written By: #Infinity on 05/19/17 at 8:39 am

There's this cool song done in the style of James Brown that I discovered while I was in high school (I think it was new at the time) but as I don't remember hearing any lines from it, I can't seem to find it by googling.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/19/17 at 9:21 am

So when I was a kid I remember hearing a snippet of a song on the AM radio once or twice and then never hearing it again, and it's been torturing me ever since. I'd never heard it on any oldies stations or anything like that since then, and eventually I just wrote it off as being either a) something I may have just imagined or b) perhaps a local commercial jingle that got played for a few months and then got thrown away forever.  Either way I just figured it was one of those mysteries that I'd never solve, and the fact that today we have instant access to any song that has ever been recorded just made it even more maddening.

So tonight I was driving home from work, and SiriusXM had been announcing for the last few weeks that they're starting up a new all-Beatles channel and I figured I'd check it out.

And then this came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7UOs4LEYE

Oh wow, I remember that song!  But I swear it was one or two half-steps lower in pitch.  And you're right, it's one of those that never gets played anymore.  They're actually lots of old songs like that which never get played on classic rock or even "oldies" stations.

Holy crap, it was real after all. I kid you not, this has been torturing me for almost 40 years and tonight the mystery was finally solved. I had no idea that it was Sir Paul.

Tonight I found my musical Holy Grail.  :D

Do you have one?

Yeah, a number of them, actually.

One is a song about homosexuality.  I first heard it around 1979/1980 on the radio.  It was NOT "The Killing of Georgie"; it was more hard rock / punk rock.  I heard it maybe two or three more times after that, the last time being in April 1981.  I've never heard it again anywhere.  When I discovered Altavista, it was one of the first music-related things I searched for.  Every few years, I'd search for it again, using Lycos, Google, etc., unsuccessfully.

Second is a pop / soft rock French-language song.  I heard it frequently on the radio during the summer of 1980.  Never heard it before then nor since then.  Unfortunately, I don't know French, so I don't even know what it's about, but the melody sounds like a happy tune.  The melody was very simplistic, almost like something you'd teach a baby to sing.

Some others of them are instrumentals, so, I'm going to put those aside for later.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 05/19/17 at 9:41 am

Yes, I have one.

It is a song from the 1980s or 1990s, I remember it in the British Charts. I heard on a car journey a last year and the DJ never announced the song or singer.

Random suggestion:

1992 version of "Starwalker" -- Buffy Sainte-Marie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6bf88iHHU

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/17 at 11:14 pm

Random suggestion:

1992 version of "Starwalker" -- Buffy Sainte-Marie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6bf88iHHU
Sorry, that is not the one I have in mind.

Written By: annimal on 05/19/17 at 11:25 pm

I have lots of tunes and or rhythms and or whatever.  Sometimes the answers to what the song is comes to me out of the blue.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/19/17 at 11:31 pm

One is a song about homosexuality.  I first heard it around 1979/1980 on the radio.  It was NOT "The Killing of Georgie"; it was more hard rock / punk rock.  I heard it maybe two or three more times after that, the last time being in April 1981.  I've never heard it again anywhere.  When I discovered Altavista, it was one of the first music-related things I searched for.  Every few years, I'd search for it again, using Lycos, Google, etc., unsuccessfully.

"Glad To Be Gay" by the Tom Robinson Band?

Second is a pop / soft rock French-language song.  I heard it frequently on the radio during the summer of 1980.  Never heard it before then nor since then.  Unfortunately, I don't know French, so I don't even know what it's about, but the melody sounds like a happy tune.  The melody was very simplistic, almost like something you'd teach a baby to sing.

There was a song on Billy Joel's Glass Houses, which came out a few months prior to summer 1980, called "C'etait toi (You Were the One)," which is soft rock and has a pretty simplistic melody, but since it wasn't a single, I'm guessing you heard something else? I would also suggest Plastic Bertrand's "Ça Plane Pour Moi," whose melody is one of the most elementary I can think of for a rock song, but seeing as it's not "soft," I highly doubt it's it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/22/17 at 2:33 pm

I have one.  A song by The Monkees called Mommy and Daddy.  There's a real dark version of the song that you can only get on a Rhino Records two disk collection.

Written By: gibbo on 05/25/17 at 7:48 pm

I recalled an instrumental tune that I heard back when I was very young (in the 1960's). I had no idea how to find it .... but thanks to Youtube, Itrawled through 1960's instrumentals until I came across an album of Bert Kaempfert and there it was "A Swingin' Safari".

I can now rest in peace!

Written By: aja675 on 05/26/17 at 10:02 am

A version of Time After Time with a trap-EDM hybrid beat of the kind that's been really popular since 2015.
A song with the lyrics, "'your touch, it burns.''

Written By: Henk on 05/26/17 at 12:31 pm

Could it be this..?  :-\\

Lio - Amoureux Solitaires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IblzIxNlk3Q

Written By: Henk on 05/26/17 at 12:45 pm

Yes, I have one.

Probably this:

Sacred Spirit - Yeha Noha (Wishes Of Happiness And Prosperity)
(peaked at #37 in UK in 1995)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPd9be8R5bA

Written By: Henk on 06/01/17 at 3:32 pm

Probably this:

Sacred Spirit - Yeha Noha (Wishes Of Happiness And Prosperity)
(peaked at #37 in UK in 1995)

So...was I right? ???

Written By: gibbo on 06/01/17 at 4:46 pm

When I first read the thread name ... I thought it was about them making a musical out of Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.  THAT would be interesting (singing Queen songs)...  King Arthur could be singing "Another One Bites the Dust" or " Don't Stop Me now" .... while the Black Knight could be singing "Who Wants to Live Forever" or "I Want to Break Free" ... all while he is having his arms and legs sliced off.

Possibilities are endless for a movie like that.

Written By: Heinz57 on 06/05/17 at 5:06 pm

Oh wow, I remember that song!  But I swear it was one or two half-steps lower in pitch.  And you're right, it's one of those that never gets played anymore.  They're actually lots of old songs like that which never get played on classic rock or even "oldies" stations.

Yeah, a number of them, actually.

Some others of them are instrumentals, so, I'm going to put those aside for later.

First one (giving credit to Infinity who mentioned it )http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTo79sPCVXA

Second one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwom4D3i4g

Written By: Heinz57 on 06/05/17 at 5:08 pm

Yes, I have one.

??? This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tVvQUAcf4

Check for new replies or respond here...