inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will any singer/artist be as big as Michael Jackson again?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/17 at 11:56 pm

He was huge and still is, even after his death. I'd say his fame even surpassed Elvis Presley. But I wonder if any star will ever surpass his level of national, and international, fame?

As a solo artist, his peak time was 1979 to 1993, with 1983 to 1985 as the absolute peak!

What do you think? Is it possible for a star to be THAT big anymore?

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/galleries/x701/62935.jpg
Michael Jackson, in picture, in 1983.

Subject: Re: Will any singer/artist be as big as Michael Jackson again?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/20/17 at 12:08 am

Maybe it's possible. The history of music spans far deeper than just the past several decades. We're in a clear dark age for music, but the early 60s were also a dark age that were subsequently followed by the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and the peak of Motown.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 12:18 am

Maybe it's possible. The history of music spans far deeper than just the past several decades. We're in a clear dark age for music, but the early 60s were also a dark age that were subsequently followed by the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and the peak of Motown.

Do you think that Elvis was bigger, or Michael was bigger? Curious on your opinion.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 5:29 am

Do you think that Elvis was bigger, or Michael was bigger? Curious on your opinion.

I think both had their times as being popular.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 5:33 am

I really don't know but I think someone maybe within the next few years will surpass Michael Jackson.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/20/17 at 5:42 am

Whilst it can never be ruled out, I do think that the chances of it ever happening again are very slim. You've got to take into account how society was at the time of his peak in popularity. Popular culture was very monocultural and people simply didn't have the luxury to watch or listen to anything they wanted, like we do today. For instance, you could hear Michael Jackson on the radio, on the TV and in magazines. It was a lot harder to escape from the current popular culture, especially if you weren't a fan of the newest releases of the time.

Now, i'm not suggesting that Michael Jackson became famous, because people were forced to listen to his music. Rather, i'm pointing out that society has changed in such a way  (due to advancements in technology and mobility) since Michael Jackson's peak in popularity, that it will more than likely never happen again.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/20/17 at 10:08 am

Now, i'm not suggesting that Michael Jackson became famous, because people were forced to listen to his music. Rather, i'm pointing out that society has changed in such a way  (due to advancements in technology and mobility) since Michael Jackson's peak in popularity, that it will more than likely never happen again.

At the time of Michael Jackson's popularity, a lot of people opted to listen either to oldies from the 50s and 60s or more underground bands, often in the punk or emerging jangle pop genres. My dad, for instance, mostly steered clear of MTV pop throughout the 80s but constantly tuned in to a college radio station that played lots of bands that weren't part of the mainstream.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/20/17 at 10:11 am

Not really either, to be honest. Elvis was popular at a more monocultural point in time, but Jackson still sold millions upon millions of records. I guess I would give the edge to Jackson because he was clearly more popular with African American listeners, whereas Elvis was pretty much the Eminem of his day, mass-popularizing a primarily black genre of music to white audiences.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 12:37 pm

Whilst it can never be ruled out, I do think that the chances of it ever happening again are very slim. You've got to take into account how society was at the time of his peak in popularity. Popular culture was very monocultural and people simply didn't have the luxury to watch or listen to anything they wanted, like we do today. For instance, you could hear Michael Jackson on the radio, on the TV and in magazines. It was a lot harder to escape from the current popular culture, especially if you weren't a fan of the newest releases of the time.

I hear that explanation a lot. That pop culture was more 'unified', in a way', pre-2000. It makes sense, by, I don't know, 2003??, the internet was a worldwide machine of its own, but it gave people a choice based on their individual likes, and needs.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 12:40 pm

I really don't know but I think someone maybe within the next few years will surpass Michael Jackson.

It's been 33 years since his absolute peak in 1983/1984. So far, no one has surpassed his fame in that time!  :o  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/20/17 at 12:56 pm

No, I don't think anyone will ever be as big as Michael Jackson. Also, MJ was and is without a doubt BIGGER than Elvis.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 1:40 pm

No, I don't think anyone will ever be as big as Michael Jackson. Also, MJ was and is without a doubt BIGGER than Elvis.

Maybe 200 years from now ;D we'll have a new creative genius. But probably not anytime soon.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 1:41 pm

Elvis was huge with people in America, especially Caucasian people. But Michael was huge with both white and black, and with people worldwide.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/20/17 at 2:05 pm

Maybe 200 years from now ;D we'll have a new creative genius. But probably not anytime soon.

200 years?...that's way too far in the future to even think about.

Elvis was huge with people in America, especially Caucasian people. But Michael was huge with both white and black, and with people worldwide.

A little nitpick....you mean White people. Caucasian =/= White...it's a common mistake here in the US but White people are Caucasians but NOT all Caucasians are White people. Arabs, Persians (Iranians), Indo-Aryans (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc) are also Caucasians.

However, yes....Michael Jackson was more popular in general than Elvis (among all people groups).

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 2:26 pm

200 years?...that's way too far in the future to even think about.
A little nitpick....you mean White people. Caucasian =/= White...it's a common mistake here in the US but White people are Caucasians but NOT all Caucasians are White people. Arabs, Persians (Iranians), Indo-Aryans (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc) are also Caucasians.

However, yes....Michael Jackson was more popular in general than Elvis (among all people groups).

I was trying to be politically correct.  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

But thanks for the free PBS education.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/20/17 at 2:37 pm

I was trying to be politically correct.  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

But thanks for the free PBS education.  ;D

I watched a good amount of PBS growing up...so your welcome ;D.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 4:55 pm

It's been 33 years since his absolute peak in 1983/1984. So far, no one has surpassed his fame in that time!  :o  :o

Maybe you can give that person another 33 more years from now, Let's say 2050.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 4:56 pm

and you had impersonators too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/20/17 at 4:56 pm

I guess another way of asking this question is, will there ever be another singer or artist that passes the presidential statement test?

That is to say, when Elvis died, when John Lennon was assassinated, and when Michael Jackson died, the President of the United States (Carter in the case of Elvis and Lennon, Obama in the case of MJ) immediately put out a statement recapping their career and mourning their death.

Is there any artist big enough in 2017 that the President would feel the need to put out a statement upon hearing of their death? At the moment I don't think so.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 4:59 pm

Maybe you can give that person another 33 more years from now, Let's say 2050.

Impossible to predict. Who knows? It's exciting to wait and see, though.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 5:07 pm

I guess another way of asking this question is, will there ever be another singer or artist that passes the presidential statement test?

That is to say, when Elvis died, when John Lennon was assassinated, and when Michael Jackson died, the President of the United States (Carter in the case of Elvis and Lennon, Obama in the case of MJ) immediately put out a statement recapping their career and mourning their death.

Is there any artist big enough in 2017 that the President would feel the need to put out a statement upon hearing of their death? At the moment I don't think so.

It's more 'The Beatles' than 'John Lennon', himself, that sold roughly 400 million+ records. Possibly more by now. I won't deny that John Lennon is hugely famous though.

But yeah, The Beatles, were/are still HUGE as heck. Not even Elvis and Michael, alone, has surpassed those types of record sales.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 5:09 pm

Impossible to predict. Who knows? It's exciting to wait and see, though.  8)

maybe Bruno Mars?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/17 at 5:19 pm

maybe Bruno Mars?  ???

He's not original enough. Although I can tell he loves the 1980's by some of his songs.  8)

Written By: Howard on 05/21/17 at 5:07 am

He's not original enough. Although I can tell he loves the 1980's by some of his songs.  8)

Maybe he can be big but not as big as Michael was back in his heydays.

Written By: gibbo on 05/26/17 at 12:11 am

Elvis was huge world wide (not just in the U.S.). While MJ sold more records  and had multi-faceted talent (singer, writer dancer etc), Elvis had a greater effect on society at the time and greater impact on the whole recording industry.

Strangely, I was thinking about Jackson's legacy while driving to work today. I liked his first couple of solo albums (Off the Wall and obviously, Thriller). However, his hits after that pale in comparison. They did extremely well just because it was MJ. Weird Al Jankovic certainly made a killing off MJ.

Unfortunately, he died with a large question mark over his sanity ... and the whole 'man-child' sleeping in the same bed as kids. He ended up just too weird!

Elvis, too, had his issues ... but not quite as weird as MJ.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/17 at 12:16 am

Elvis was huge world wide (not just in the U.S.). While MJ sold more records  and had multi-faceted talent (singer, writer dancer etc), Elvis had a greater effect on society at the time and greater impact on the whole recording industry.

Strangely, I was thinking about Jackson's legacy while driving to work today. I liked his first couple of solo albums (Off the Wall and obviously, Thriller). However, his hits after that pale in comparison. They did extremely well just because it was MJ. Weird Al Jankovic certainly made a killing off MJ.

Unfortunately, he died with a large question mark over his sanity ... and the whole 'man-child' sleeping in the same bed as kids. He ended up just too weird!

Elvis, too, had his issues ... but not quite as weird as MJ.

Actually, no one knows how much both have sold worldwide. Any 'facts' put out is an estimate. It's possible Elvis sold more than Michael.

I would place Michael's record sales at roughly 350 to 400 million worldwide. With Elvis, I'd put it as 380 million worldwide. But if you take away the Jackson Five record sales, they'd probably be equal. With, or without the Jackson Five, worldwide record sales are very rounded up, if I should call it that.

Written By: gibbo on 05/26/17 at 12:25 am

Actually, no one knows how much both have sold worldwide. Any 'facts' put out is an estimate. It's possible Elvis sold more than Michael.

I would place Michael's record sales at roughly 350 to 400 million worldwide. With Elvis, I'd put it as 380 million worldwide. But if you take away the Jackson Five record sales, they'd probably be equal. With, or without the Jackson Five, worldwide record sales are very rounded up, if I should call it that.

... and Elvis had a few years head start on MJ.  I'm guessing that not everyone even had a record player in the late 50's. Most had to rely on the dj's on the radio.

Check for new replies or respond here...