inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What era is considered "the tech revolution"?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/12/17 at 6:49 pm

I saw a poll taken place on events that impacted a certain generation the most (the Tech Revolution was one of the events), and it said that the Tech Revolution started in around 1975, yet I hear other people (like on the archives on this forum) say that it started in around 1993.

I'm really confused here.

Subject: Re: What era is considered "the tech revolution"?

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/17 at 7:25 pm

Technology has been improving very rapidly since after WW2.

Subject: Re: What era is considered "the tech revolution"?

Written By: #Infinity on 06/12/17 at 7:28 pm

That's because it's subjective just how revolutionary certain technology is.

Personally, I would say the tech revolution as a whole began in the late 1970s/early 1980s, when home video games, home video, cable television, cassette tapes, synthesized music, and personal computers became common in everyday life. The transitional period between the cultural 70s and 80s was really the first significantly transformative time for technology since the rise of television in the 1950s. From thereon out, major inventions continued to enter mainstram life, from microwaves, to the Internet, to CD's, to cell phones, and so on.

The end of the greater technological revolution, by contrast, was roughly around the start of this decade, when HD video, smartphones, social media, tablets, and streaming services became standard. Since then, nothing that monumental has come along, even though the aforementioned technologies are more popular now than they were in te early 2010s.

Check for new replies or respond here...