inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do some people tend to over estimate things?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/13/17 at 11:47 pm

I noticed that every time I'm on a forum,  there are some folks who exaggerate things intentionally or unintentionally. For example,  Grunge was over thought to be the main music genre of the 90s when that's actually false considering that each group of music was popular on the radio. 

Subject: Re: Why do some people tend to over estimate things?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/13/17 at 11:55 pm

I agree. I guess that they just hear that something was popular and figured that must mean most people participated in it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/14/17 at 12:17 am

I noticed that every time I'm on a forum,  there are some folks who exaggerate things intentionally or unintentionally. For example,  Grunge was over thought to be the main music genre of the 90s when that's actually false considering that each group of music was popular on the radio.

Because it supports their own beliefs and their beliefs can get in the way of fact.

Written By: nally on 06/14/17 at 2:10 pm

Because it supports their own beliefs and their beliefs can get in the way of fact.

I've noticed that sorta thing too.

Written By: 2001 on 06/14/17 at 4:25 pm

It's better to shoot for the moon, and land among the stars.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/17 at 4:44 pm

It's better to shoot for the moon, and land among the stars.

Lies! All lies!!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/15/17 at 7:23 pm

I agree. I guess that they just hear that something was popular and figured that must mean most people participated in it.

I've noticed that sorta thing too.
Yeah, and I think that's not good because it assumes that since it was popular, everyone participated in the culture when nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm not making this into a generations debate, but I noticed that many older Millennials tend to exaggerate on the significant increase of technology over the years. They believe that everyone had the internet in the 90s despite that it wasn't even 50% here in America until 2001. ::). In addition, they even figured that everyone had social media by the time MySpace became popular, but stats tell it was the opposite.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/18/18 at 9:39 pm

I think age and your personal life can play a huge role in how you view certain years culturally. For example, people who were in their tweens or early teens in say 2008 are probably going to say 2008 was more transitional than someone who was 7 years old during that year. I always thought of 2013 as the most transitional cultural years of this decade so far, but my personal life at the time does have something to do with it. 2013 was my last year of elementary and my first year of middle school, so it was especially transitional for me.

Written By: 2001 on 04/18/18 at 9:46 pm

I think age and your personal life can play a huge role in how you view certain years culturally. For example, people who were in their tweens or early teens in say 2008 are probably going to say 2008 was more transitional than someone who was 7 years old during that year. I always thought of 2013 as the most transitional cultural years of this decade so far, but my personal life at the time does have something to do with it. 2013 was my last year of elementary and my first year of middle school, so it was especially transitional for me.

I noticed the biggest proponents of the "2006 shift" were born 95/96 too (except John Titor born 89) ;D

I was a big proponent of the "2003/4 shift" myself but didn't think to make 50 threads about it lol.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/18/18 at 9:49 pm

I noticed the biggest proponents of the "2006 shift" were born 95/96 too (except John Titor born 89) ;D

I was a big proponent of the "2003/4 shift" myself but didn't think to make 50 threads about it lol.

I didn't even know there was such thing as a "2003/4 shift" on this board. ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 04/18/18 at 10:20 pm

As a 1987 born...I think 2001 or 2008 are bigger “landmark” years than 2006. Honestly I don’t think 2006 is all that notable.

Written By: 2001 on 04/18/18 at 10:24 pm

I didn't even know there was such thing as a "2003/4 shift" on this board. ;D

"The early 2000s are like the 90s and everything after 2003 sucks" was the Internet consensus for quite a while. :P

Written By: Dundee on 04/19/18 at 8:24 am

But 2013 was transitional in many ways

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/19/18 at 4:22 pm

As a 1987 born...I think 2001 or 2008 are bigger “landmark” years than 2006. Honestly I don’t think 2006 is all that notable.

lol true.
To be honest, the whole "late 2006 shift" thing has kinda been demoted to a joke on this forum, but I do agree that 2006 was actually more stagnant than people make it out to be.

Most people use the Blackberry Pearl release, Wii and PS3 release, and popularity of YouTube to justify this so-called shift.
But even then, the Blackberry Pearl is predated by Sony's PSP, released in March 2005, that was much like a smartphone without the calling feature, and was honestly more impressive than the Pearl. Not only that, but the Pearl wasn't a touch smartphone that we're used to today, that didn't come out until 2007 with the iPhone, which was way closer to the type of smartphones we use today.
As for the video games side of the argument, with the exception of Wii Sports, there were really no big launch games for these consoles, the major 7th gen releases didn't come out until 2007 with Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii, Halo 3 for the Xbox 360, Uncharted for the PS3, as well as Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare turning the COD series into a juggernaut. 2007 is also widely regarded as the best year of the 00s for gaming.
Plus, although YouTube started gaining a userbase in 2006, it wasn't until 2007 when you had viral sensations on there such as Rick Roll, Chocolate Rain, Charlie Bit My Finger, Dramatic Look, Keyboard Cat, Leave Britney Alone, etc.
There's also some that use TV shows as a reason for this shift, but even then, I'd argue that 2004 and 2007 were both far more pivotal in this regard.

I'd say the most pivotal years of the 00s are the ones divisible by 3, which are 2001, 2004, and 2007.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/19/18 at 4:35 pm

I'd say the most pivotal years of the 00s are the ones divisible by 3, which are 2001, 2004, and 2007.

If that's the case, then what makes 2010 a pivotal year?

Written By: Dundee on 04/19/18 at 5:09 pm

If that's the case, then what makes 2010 a pivotal year?
It ended the 2000s is one thing I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/19/18 at 5:11 pm

It ended the 2000s is one thing I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then that would completely invalidate the 3 sequence theory  ;D ;D Since every year ending in 0 is the start of a new decade.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/19/18 at 6:22 pm

But 2013 was transitional in many ways

Yeah, 2013 was definitely still transitional culture-wise. I tend to think of it as the most transitional year of this decade so far because it was my last year of elementary and the fact that the culture was changing too kind of makes me exaggerate how transitional that year was like people do with 2008.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/13/18 at 1:23 am

lol true.
To be honest, the whole "late 2006 shift" thing has kinda been demoted to a joke on this forum, but I do agree that 2006 was actually more stagnant than people make it out to be.

Most people use the Blackberry Pearl release, Wii and PS3 release, and popularity of YouTube to justify this so-called shift.
But even then, the Blackberry Pearl is predated by Sony's PSP, released in March 2005, that was much like a smartphone without the calling feature, and was honestly more impressive than the Pearl. Not only that, but the Pearl wasn't a touch smartphone that we're used to today, that didn't come out until 2007 with the iPhone, which was way closer to the type of smartphones we use today.
As for the video games side of the argument, with the exception of Wii Sports, there were really no big launch games for these consoles, the major 7th gen releases didn't come out until 2007 with Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii, Halo 3 for the Xbox 360, Uncharted for the PS3, as well as Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare turning the COD series into a juggernaut. 2007 is also widely regarded as the best year of the 00s for gaming.
Plus, although YouTube started gaining a userbase in 2006, it wasn't until 2007 when you had viral sensations on there such as Rick Roll, Chocolate Rain, Charlie Bit My Finger, Dramatic Look, Keyboard Cat, Leave Britney Alone, etc.
There's also some that use TV shows as a reason for this shift, but even then, I'd argue that 2004 and 2007 were both far more pivotal in this regard.

Yeah I think 2001 I mean obviously because of 9/11 and that changed everything, and I remember that. I mean there's America before September 11th and there's America after September 11th. Even today I still think that event has a lot to do with the problems we currently have today. 2008 is obviously because of the economic crisis and that also has lasting effects today and why we have this bitterly divided situation today. So to me those are key years (of the 21st century), everything else (in the 21st century at least) pales in comparison. I guess maybe 2016 with the Donald Trump election and Brexit would be a third "key" year of this century, possibly.

Check for new replies or respond here...