inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Food Shopping

Written By: Howard on 06/18/17 at 12:26 pm

After you've done your food shopping for the day, Where do you go to and how do you like to pay?

Subject: Re: Food Shopping

Written By: violet_shy on 06/18/17 at 8:14 pm

It's always a cashier if I go to the market for food shopping.

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/17 at 9:05 pm

There's no self checkout, so I have no choice but to use the cashier.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/18/17 at 9:49 pm

Both

Written By: bchris02 on 06/18/17 at 10:37 pm

I don't shop at Wal-Mart and the other grocery store in my town doesn't have a U-scan machine.  If I ever go to Wal-Mart, the lines are too long and I usually don't bother.

Back when I lived in an urban area, I never went through the checkout line.  I almost forgot about that lol.  Rural America sucks.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/17 at 10:45 pm

I interpreted this question to mean what method of payment one uses as well as what method of check out.  I prefer to pay with cash, but I notice almost nobody ever does anymore either at the supermarket or elsewhere. We have basically become a cashless society.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/17 at 5:24 am

It's always a cashier if I go to the market for food shopping.

Why not The U-Scan machines?

Written By: Howard on 06/19/17 at 5:25 am

I interpreted this question to mean what method of payment one uses as well as what method of check out.  I prefer to pay with cash, but I notice almost nobody ever does anymore either at the supermarket or elsewhere. We have basically become a cashless society.

Now I see a lot of people have been paying for groceries by credit card or debit.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/19/17 at 1:12 pm

I don't know. They are easy to use, but I prefer a cashier over a machine.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/19/17 at 6:56 pm

I don't use them either because the more people that use them means the less people the store needs to hire which means
more profit for the fatcats. I am not traveling to your store to buy your products and then having to do your job by ringing it
up and bagging it, I'm there to buy not work.

Our local convenience store has a touch screen menu, I always asked them to put something on my sandwich that isn't
part of their option screen just to make someone do their job.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/19/17 at 7:00 pm

The most annoying thing about self checkout machines is how they always seem to set off false alerts that you put too much/too little in the "bagging area" and then there's a delay while the employee watching over them has to clear the alert. It seems to happen all the time to me, and actually they seem to be getting worse over the years.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/20/17 at 3:09 am

If it's at odd hours of the morning or a few items, the self scan. If I have a cart full, the cashier.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 06/20/17 at 2:18 pm

It depends where I'm shopping and how much I've bought. The shop I use the most doesn't have self-service checkouts, but I like to use them in other shops if I haven't bought many things.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/17 at 3:30 pm

I don't know. They are easy to use, but I prefer a cashier over a machine.

I use the machines sometimes and they have a lot of glitches and problems once in a while.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/17 at 3:32 pm

The most annoying thing about self checkout machines is how they always seem to set off false alerts that you put too much/too little in the "bagging area" and then there's a delay while the employee watching over them has to clear the alert. It seems to happen all the time to me, and actually they seem to be getting worse over the years.

What problems have you seen?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 2:35 am

I always use the cashier, it is more sociable, and if any mistakes are made, it will be the cashier's fault, not your own.

Also, self checkouts are making cashiers unemployment!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 2:44 am

Stores are losing out for the self checkouts are an easy potential for stealing products.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/17 at 3:16 pm

I always use the cashier, it is more sociable, and if any mistakes are made, it will be the cashier's fault, not your own.

Also, self checkouts are making cashiers unemployment!

I know, I've seen them a lot lately.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/17 at 3:21 pm

Stores are losing out for the self checkouts are an easy potential for stealing products.

They could be scanned wrong and you might not even know it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/17 at 7:08 pm

They could be scanned wrong and you might not even know it.
... deliberately scanned wrong... ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/17 at 2:15 am

Having you shopping delivered to your home is entirely a different matter.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/17 at 7:24 am

Having you shopping delivered to your home is entirely a different matter.

There are trucks that can deliver food and groceries to your home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/17 at 7:26 am

Exactly!

Written By: Howard on 06/25/17 at 8:15 am

Exactly!

and there is a fee.

Written By: Ripley on 06/26/17 at 9:51 am

Theft happens a lot at the self checkouts!

Here is one example: Scanning the barcode on a DVD while actually holding a few of them. In this case it's usually on purpose.

Here is another: Items are left in the cart. The customer leaves and takes it. Usually it is forgotten in there. And once they get to their either one of two things can happen. The first is that they didn't think of it and put it with the rest of their stuff and left. The second is they notice and are usually honest about it and come back in and pay. Thus is mostly only accidental.

Other problems arise. It screams at you for various reasons. From the way you bag to not scanning properly. I hate it when it asks to bag dog food. My store fortunately doesn't have this issue. Speaking of big items. When there is a scanner gun it is convenient. However, you have to have a cashier do it. Sometimes they must approve coupons or verify age. So basically, if you have some bigger items, a lot of coupons or liquor go to a cashier. Another issue is with credit cards. Some of them, such as ebts or visa gift cards, won't go through cause they don't have the full amount needed to pay. There for, you must ask the cashier to put in the balance and then use a second form of payment. I've had a lot of experience cashiering. So that's why I know these things lol.

As for me: I prefer to check myself out cause I get picky about what's bagged together and I don't to annoy the cashier about it. If I have a ton of stuff I'll usually go to one though. See, these things are made to get in and get out quick. You have to be somewhere, you don't want to stand in line at a register. But if I have a lot of stuff I don't want to be a b!tch and hold up the lines at Self Checkout.

Also, if I have cash I use it. Otherwise I use my debit card. Now people can pay with their phone on sifferent apps or Apple pay. Both are so much safer. No stealing card numbers! I like this idea.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/17 at 1:19 pm

Theft happens a lot at the self checkouts!

Here is one example: Scanning the barcode on a DVD while actually holding a few of them. In this case it's usually on purpose.

Here is another: Items are left in the cart. The customer leaves and takes it. Usually it is forgotten in there. And once they get to their either one of two things can happen. The first is that they didn't think of it and put it with the rest of their stuff and left. The second is they notice and are usually honest about it and come back in and pay. Thus is mostly only accidental.

Other problems arise. It screams at you for various reasons. From the way you bag to not scanning properly. I hate it when it asks to bag dog food. My store fortunately doesn't have this issue. Speaking of big items. When there is a scanner gun it is convenient. However, you have to have a cashier do it. Sometimes they must approve coupons or verify age. So basically, if you have some bigger items, a lot of coupons or liquor go to a cashier. Another issue is with credit cards. Some of them, such as ebts or visa gift cards, won't go through cause they don't have the full amount needed to pay. There for, you must ask the cashier to put in the balance and then use a second form of payment. I've had a lot of experience cashiering. So that's why I know these things lol.

As for me: I prefer to check myself out cause I get picky about what's bagged together and I don't to annoy the cashier about it. If I have a ton of stuff I'll usually go to one though. See, these things are made to get in and get out quick. You have to be somewhere, you don't want to stand in line at a register. But if I have a lot of stuff I don't want to be a b!tch and hold up the lines at Self Checkout.

Also, if I have cash I use it. Otherwise I use my debit card. Now people can pay with their phone on sifferent apps or Apple pay. Both are so much safer. No stealing card numbers! I like this idea.

It screams at me too, sometimes it tells me that I might be too slow, it's probably telling you to pick up the pace and hurry up with the bagging.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/17 at 8:32 pm

It screams at me too, sometimes it tells me that I might be too slow, it's probably telling you to pick up the pace and hurry up with the bagging.
There should be more staff to watch over...

...or just remove the self checkouts, and bring back the cashiers!

Written By: Howard on 07/01/17 at 2:55 pm

There should be more staff to watch over...

...or just remove the self checkouts, and bring back the cashiers!

some people just want to be in and out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/17 at 5:29 am

some people just want to be in and out.
Like me, all in all, I have shopping, but it has to be done.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/17 at 1:15 pm

What?! Where do they do this? We don't have that, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/17 at 1:18 pm

Back home in the UK, every leading supermarket does this.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/17 at 2:38 pm

Like me, all in all, I have shopping, but it has to be done.

Today it was a very busy day and more people were waiting by the U-Scan machines rather than waiting for a cashier.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/17 at 2:40 pm

Yes Jessica, it's called The Peapod food delivery truck.
http://seemomclick.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Peapod-Delivery-Truck.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...