inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people think you're ever too old to follow pop culture?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/20/17 at 3:53 pm

The pop culture sucks now so if it's good in the 2020s I'll follow it. I don't care if people think I'm too old.

Subject: Re: Why do people think you're ever too old to follow pop culture?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/20/17 at 3:55 pm

I'm 17 and a half, so people think that I'm still old enough to follow pop culture. The problem is that everything with pop culture now sucks, which makes me watch old stuff from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/20/17 at 3:56 pm

I think it has to do with that it's targeted at those between adolescence and about 25.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/20/17 at 4:00 pm

I think it has to do with that it's targeted at those between adolescence and about 25.

Yeah but if the stuff during adolescence to 25 isn't your cup of tea it's better to listen to and experience the stuff later than never
Otherwise your life is a waste of time

Written By: violet_shy on 06/20/17 at 4:07 pm

I always follow pop culture. However, there are days I feel nostalgic, and I "live in the past"...but it only lasts for days. I don't think we're ever too old to follow what is current.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/20/17 at 4:09 pm

Yeah but if the stuff during adolescence to 25 isn't your cup of tea it's better to listen to and experience the stuff later than never
Otherwise your life is a waste of time
True on that. I will say that pop culture targeted for everyone regardless of age could make a comeback in the next decade. Hopefully it will happen.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/20/17 at 4:14 pm

I'm turning 18 in less than a month and I'm still mostly in tune with current pop culture. However, my teen years will forever be known for things such as Snapchat and Instagram, online "challenges", YouTube stars, fidget spinners, smartphones, memes, SJWs & the Alt Right, Black Lives Matter, etc and most of those things I don't think I will have a fond recollection of.

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/17 at 4:59 pm

This is why having or being around kids is awesome. I can unironically stan Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande and no one can say anything. It's what I have to listen to all day anyway, may as well enjoy it. ;D

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/20/17 at 5:12 pm

I'm turning 18 in less than a month and I'm still mostly in tune with current pop culture. However, my teen years will forever be known for things such as Snapchat and Instagram, online "challenges", YouTube stars, fidget spinners, smartphones, memes, SJWs & the Alt Right, Black Lives Matter, etc and most of those things I don't think I will have a fond recollection of.

I would never look back on those things, except for the memes.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/20/17 at 5:24 pm

Good question.  Pop culture, especially Top 40 music, tends to be targeted to people in their teens and people gradually move away from it between ages 25 and 30.  Most people throughout the entire lives seem to stick to whatever was popular when they were that age and they always complain about how music isn't as good as it used to be.  Meanwhile, today's music that "sucks" will be the music current teenagers look back on as "when music was good."  That's why GenX is still obsessed with the 80s and early 90s, baby boomers with the 60s and 70s, and why the Silent Generation generally prefers the likes of Perry Como and Lawrence Welk.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/20/17 at 5:42 pm

Good question.  Pop culture, especially Top 40 music, tends to be targeted to people in their teens and people gradually move away from it between ages 25 and 30.  Most people throughout the entire lives seem to stick to whatever was popular when they were that age and they always complain about how music isn't as good as it used to be. Meanwhile, today's music that "sucks" will be the music current teenagers look back on as "when music was good."  That's why GenX is still obsessed with the 80s and early 90s, baby boomers with the 60s and 70s, and why the Silent Generation generally prefers the likes of Perry Como and Lawrence Welk.

Even though some teenagers would look at their adolescent era as bullcrap, especially when they don't even like the music at the time.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/20/17 at 5:49 pm

Even though some teenagers would look at their adolescent era as bullcrap, especially when they don't even like the music at the time.

I think that is becoming more common now that we have the Internet and people can easily seek out the genres and artists they like even if they aren't mainstream.  In the early '00s, most people liked whatever MTV, Top 40 radio, and Sam Goody were pushing.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/20/17 at 5:51 pm

I think da lak 30 years it tops stops for most people.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...