inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fox Kids vs. Kids' WB

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/07/17 at 6:42 pm

Which of of these two Saturday morning cartoon blocks do you like the most?

Fox Kids (1990-2002)

http://90kids.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/fox-kids.png

l1qHB0DO8Jg

OR

Kids' WB (1995-2006)

http://orig10.deviantart.net/948d/f/2015/246/7/d/kids__wb_from_my_childhood__1990_2006__by_craigs1996-d989qwu.jpg

gs_6ddKKUKc

I never got to watch Fox Kids....so I will have to go with Kids' WB. Kids' WB was one of the best programming blocks from my childhood.

Subject: Re: Fox Kids vs. Kids' WB

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/07/17 at 7:53 pm

This was actually hard for me to choose because I truly enjoyed both blocks considering they had exclusive shows that one would not be able to find on the other.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/07/17 at 8:59 pm

This was actually hard for me to choose because I truly enjoyed both blocks considering they had exclusive shows that one would not be able to find on the other.

You gotta choose one....even if it's only by a slight margin ;).

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/07/17 at 9:19 pm

Kids' WB, no doubt. I really loved watching the block at some Saturday mornings, especially towards the Pokemon episodes. I even remember getting a few Pokemon tapes that were distributed by Kids WB. I was only 2 and a half when Fox Kids ended, so I couldn't get to see it.  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 07/07/17 at 9:36 pm

Fox Kids, no doubt in my mind! 

I stopped watching Fox Kids after 1999, because it wasn't good anymore. But from 1994 to 1999, I watched it religiously.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/07/17 at 9:59 pm

Kids' WB, no doubt. I really loved watching the block at some Saturday mornings, especially towards the Pokemon episodes. I even remember getting a few Pokemon tapes that were distributed by Kids WB. I was only 2 and a half when Fox Kids ended, so I couldn't get to see it.  :-\\

I was only 3 when Fox Kids ended. However, Kids' WB was the sh*t.

I stopped watching Fox Kids after 1999, because it wasn't good anymore. But from 1994 to 1999, I watched it religiously.

It seems that many '90s kids stopped watching Fox Kids after 1999 :P.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/07/17 at 10:01 pm

I was only 3 when Fox Kids ended. However, Kids' WB was the sh*t.
It seems that many '90s kids stopped watching Fox Kids after 1999 :P.

Yeah, the quality went down. Although I could see the small signs, already by 1999.
By 2000, I moved on!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/07/17 at 10:17 pm

Alright. Kids WB it is, but I still appreciate both ;)

I stopped watching Fox Kids after 1999 because it wasn't good anymore. But from 1994 to 1999, I watched it religiously.
Yeah, I think I stopped watching that channel after 2000 and switched to Fox Family (now Freeform)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/07/17 at 11:12 pm

Alright. Kids WB it is, but I still appreciate both ;)

You have chosen the dark side! ;) ;D.

Subject: Fox Kids vs. Kids' WB

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 2:32 am

Yes I picked WB Kids but I didnt really like stuff by the 90s..... To me cartoons were best from the 70s and earlier..... They started becoming crap in 80s.......

Written By: Howard on 07/08/17 at 7:11 am

Yes I picked WB Kids but I didnt really like stuff by the 90s..... To me cartoons were best from the 70s and earlier..... They started becoming crap in 80s.......

I agree.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/08/17 at 9:10 am

I guess that's because you were born in 1969...so you grew up in the '70s. To me (a lot of others), most '70s cartoons sucked. The 1970s is actually the low point for American animation (not an opinion....widely held fact) :P.

I agree.

Interesting. Aren't you an '80s kid? You missed the chance to watch most '70s cartoons because you were born in 1974. Most people your age loves those '80s cartoons.

Written By: 2001 on 07/08/17 at 11:18 am

We had all of these on YTV  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/08/17 at 11:39 am

We had all of these on YTV  8)

All of what?

Written By: 2001 on 07/08/17 at 11:47 am

All of what?

All of those shows. :P

I think I had Fox Kids for Power Rangers though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/08/17 at 11:51 am

All of those shows. :P

I think I had Fox Kids for Power Rangers though.

OK, gotcha.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/09/17 at 7:08 am

Aren't you an '80s kid? You missed the chance to watch most '70s cartoons because you were born in 1974. Most people your age loves those '80s cartoons.

He was born in 74', thus he may likely remember the late 70's/early 80's in clear detail when 70's cartoons were making new episodes or being shown as reruns.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/09/17 at 7:11 am

Anyways for me I'd have to go with Kids WB! I actually (kind of) grew up with both, with both blocks (along with ABC's One Saturday Morning) I'd watch pretty much every Saturday from 1999-2002. Ironically when I started to not watch Saturday morning cartoons as much as I'd used to, Fox Kids ended, this was 2002. Kids WB was able to retain my interest until around 2004/2005.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/17 at 7:20 am

He was born in 74', thus he may likely remember the late 70's/early 80's in clear detail when 70's cartoons were making new episodes or being shown as reruns.

I don't have much of a clear memory of remembering the late 70's-early 80's cartoons.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 7:46 am

Well, by his own admission....he doesn't remember much of them.

Anyways for me I'd have to go with Kids WB! I actually (kind of) grew up with both, with both blocks (along with ABC's One Saturday Morning) I'd watch pretty much every Saturday from 1999-2002. Ironically when I started to not watch Saturday morning cartoons as much as I'd used to, Fox Kids ended, this was 2002. Kids WB was able to retain my interest until around 2004/2005.

Kids' WB is WINNING! 8).

Written By: Howard on 07/09/17 at 7:51 am

Well, by his own admission....he doesn't remember much of them.
Kids' WB is WINNING! 8).

my memory is somewhat bad.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 8:13 am

my memory is somewhat bad.

....and it's only going to get worse :P.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/09/17 at 12:35 pm

Honestly, how can this even be up for debate. Obviously the answer is Fox Kids.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/17 at 12:37 pm

....and it's only going to get worse :P.

my memory is short-term. ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 12:39 pm

Honestly, how can this even be up for debate. Obviously the answer is Fox Kids.

I have a different definition of "obvious" ::).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 12:39 pm

my memory is short-term. ::)

That's unfortunate :P.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/09/17 at 12:43 pm

I have a different definition of "obvious" ::).

Well, that's only because, sadly, Fox Kids was a shell of it's former self by the time you mid and late '90s babies started watching cartoons during the early '00s. Had you guys seen Fox Kids when it was at it's peak around 1994, than you'd all agree with me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 1:10 pm

Well, that's only because, sadly, Fox Kids was a shell of it's former self by the time you mid and late '90s babies started watching cartoons during the early '00s. Had you guys seen Fox Kids when it was at it's peak around 1994, than you'd all agree with me.

The YouTube clip of Fox Kids that I showed was from November 1994. It was pretty awesome but I have to go with my childhood (Kids' WB). I don't blame you for choosing Fox Kids...it was apart of your childhood and also awesome.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/09/17 at 1:19 pm

The YouTube clip of Fox Kids that I showed was from November 1994. It was pretty awesome but I have to go with my childhood (Kids' WB). I don't blame you for choosing Fox Kids...it was apart of your childhood and also awesome.

To be honest, though, I actually did watch Kids WB sometimes during my junior high years. Truthfully, it was a pretty kick ass block itself around 1999 and 2000 which was when I mostly watched. After that, though, I'm not sure.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 1:30 pm

To be honest, though, I actually did watch Kids WB sometimes during my junior high years. Truthfully, it was a pretty kick ass block itself around 1999 and 2000 which was when I mostly watched. After that, though, I'm not sure.

Kids' WB was still kick ass until 2006. In 2006, it was moved from The WB to The CW and that's when the quality dropped off. Kids' WB remained on The CW until 2008 and it was then taken off TV and turned into a website (which it still is today).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/09/17 at 4:52 pm

Kids' WB was still kick ass until 2006. In 2006, it was moved from The WB to The CW and that's when the quality dropped off. Kids' WB remained on The CW until 2008 and it was then taken off TV and turned into a website (which it still is today).

For me Kids WB was good up until 2004 or so. During the time I watched it between 1999-2004 the block aired Pokémon, YuGiOh, Superman TAS, Men in Black, Static Shock, X-Men Evolution, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, What's New Scooby Doo, and Jackie Chan Adventures, among other kickass shows 8).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 5:52 pm

For me Kids WB was good up until 2004 or so. During the time I watched it between 1999-2004 the block aired Pokémon, YuGiOh, Superman TAS, Men in Black, Static Shock, X-Men Evolution, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, What's New Scooby Doo, and Jackie Chan Adventures, among other kickass shows 8).

They showed most (or all) of those shows until 2006. It was still kick ass 8).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/09/17 at 7:40 pm

They showed most (or all) of those shows until 2006. It was still kick ass 8).

Ehh... not really

Saturday Morning Schedule 2005-2006:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_United_States_network_television_schedule_(Saturday_morning)

And they got rid of the weekday afternoon block in Spring 2005, another reason why I stopped watching.

The 2004-2005 Saturday Morning season was still solid though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_United_States_network_television_schedule_(Saturday_morning)

That along with the fact that the Weekday Afternoon block was still around.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/09/17 at 8:21 pm

Ehh... not really

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_United_States_network_television_schedule_(Saturday_morning)

And they got rid of the weekday afternoon block in Spring 2005, another reason why I stopped watching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_United_States_network_television_schedule_(Saturday_morning)

That seems rather subjective to say, but Saturday morning blocks were already going downhill during the late 90s. When Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon already proven themselves to use cartoons for more than 4 hours, that interested a lot of children. It could make sense that Saturday morning blocks were still relevant towards those who still have local antennas, but people already knew about them from different houses. Hell, they could even buy the VHS tapes with the cartoons in them, if they had a VCR.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/09/17 at 8:29 pm

That seems rather subjective to say, but Saturday morning blocks were already going downhill during the late 90s. When Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon already proven themselves to use cartoons for more than 4 hours, that interested a lot of children. It could make sense that Saturday morning blocks were still relevant towards those who still have local antennas, but people already knew about them from different houses. Hell, they could even buy the VHS tapes with the cartoons in them, if they had a VCR.

Good point. FWIW though Saturday Morning Cartoons were still a relative alternative for children's entertainment until around 2001/2002, even among kids who live in families whom had already upgraded cable. This was because the blocks in the late 90's/early 00's aired original programming only for the SMC blocks. Around in Late 2002 though with the demise of Fox Kids, ABC rebranding their Saturday mornings as ABC Kids, and the launch of Nick on CBS, most of the SMC programming was just reruns of programs from the respective parent cable channels.

You could actually see the shift pretty clear as day:

2001-2002:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_United_States_network_television_schedule_(Saturday_morning)

2002-2003:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%80%9303_United_States_network_television_schedule_(Saturday_morning)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 8:48 pm

Ehh... not really

Both look solid to me. It's all subjective....generally when people are 10-12 their interest in cartoons lowers. That's what happened with you in 2006 and me in 2010.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/09/17 at 11:43 pm

Kids' WB is WINNING! 8).
Well Kids WB is only winning so far because people who remember Fox Kids very well haven't commented on this topic yet. ;)

Machine, 90sBreath and I are the only ones who have said that Fox Kids was great despite that I chose Kids WB.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 11:50 pm

Well Kids WB is only winning so far because people who remember Fox Kids very well haven't commented on this topic yet. ;)

Machine, 90sBreath and I are the only ones who have said that Fox Kids was great despite that I chose Kids WB.

To me, the only area where Fox Kids beats Kids' WB is when it comes to superhero animated shows (X-Men, Batman, Spider-Man, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers). In every other category....Kids' WB has Fox Kids beat :-X.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/10/17 at 11:19 am

Both look solid to me. It's all subjective....generally when people are 10-12 their interest in cartoons lowers. That's what happened with you in 2006 and me in 2010.

I wasn't really talking about the quality of the shows but rather that 2002-2003 was when SMCs were on a fast decline due to just being dumping grounds for cartoons from cable networks. But I agree that both lineups were still solid though

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/10/17 at 11:42 am

I wasn't really talking about the quality of the shows but rather that 2002-2003 was when SMCs were on a fast decline due to just being dumping grounds for cartoons from cable networks. But I agree that both lineups were still solid though

Oh OK, I see.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/20/17 at 11:43 pm

To me, the only area where Fox Kids beats Kids' WB is when it comes to superhero animated shows (X-Men, Batman, Spider-Man, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers). In every other category....Kids' WB has Fox Kids beat :-X.
I agree with you that. Fox Kids definitely had some badass superhero animated shows, but don't forget that Kids WB had Superman and Batman Beyond that was just as kickass as the others.

I wasn't really talking about the quality of the shows but rather that 2002-2003 was when SMCs was on a fast decline due to just being dumping grounds for cartoons from cable networks. But I agree that both lineups were still solid though
I agree with this! By that time, cartoons were no longer exclusive to any block/channel anymore. One could find shows on Nick, CN and even Disney and not bother with the SMC blocks. However, there were a few exclusives on the latter up until 2005-06.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/21/17 at 7:50 am

I agree with you that. Fox Kids definitely had some badass superhero animated shows, but don't forget that Kids WB had Superman and Batman Beyond that was just as kickass as the others.

Oh yeah, definitely.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 09/03/17 at 9:35 am

Fox Kids had Transformers and later Kirby.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 10:40 am

Fox Kids, due to Power Rangers! And Batman, and X-Men, the list goes on...

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/08/18 at 11:57 pm

Found some great commercial breaks of both Fox Kids and Kids WB. I think these breaks for both commercials and promos are pretty representative to the sheer awesomeness of the blocks during their heydays 8).

Fox Kids back in 95'
gTEc6DwOAJ8

Kids WB back in 03'
LlN0YNmtT7U

Check for new replies or respond here...