inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year do you hate that everyone else likes?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 9:42 pm

In response to ReignMan's topic in reverse. ;) ;D

Subject: Re: What year do you hate that everyone else likes?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 9:48 pm

In response to ReignMan's topic in reverse. ;) ;D

I'm honored ;D.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 9:49 pm

I don't like c. 1991 that much, honestly things were really cheesy then. Like the real '80s was over but it wasn't quite '90s yet, it was really weird then actually. The watered down 1989 style culture to me seems pretty lame really. I mean it's ok but I don't know I don't see what's so amazing about it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 9:52 pm

I don't like c. 1991 that much, honestly things were really cheesy then. Like the real '80s was over but it wasn't quite '90s yet, it was really weird then actually. The watered down 1989 style culture to me seems pretty lame really. I mean it's ok but I don't know I don't see what's so amazing about it.

Most people actually agree with you (I don't though).

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 07/24/17 at 9:55 pm

People say it was the "greatest year in rock music history", but beside from Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" I think a lot of rock (and music in general) from that year was crap.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/24/17 at 10:33 pm

Reignman isn't going to like this, but I really don't like 1990.

I personally think that it was a very uninspiring and lacklustre time for popular culture. The trouble with 1990 is that although the year still had several prominent '80s influences, most aspects of '80s culture had become stale by that point and '90s culture was not yet fully established, resulting in the year feeling much more stale in comparison to years such as 1987, 1992 or even 1989. I hate how cheesy a lot of the songs from 1990 are as well. Songs such as "Ice Ice Baby", "Sucker DJ" and "Cherry Pie" are incredibly cringeworthy. :P

Rock music was also in a pretty ordinary state in 1990. Grunge/alternative rock had not yet emerged, meaning that hair metal was still the dominant sub-genre at the time. I realise that it wasn't all hair metal, but with the exception of "King of the Mountain" and "Forgotten Years" by Midnight Oil, I don't like any of the other rock songs that were popular. Music aside, i'm also not a fan of the hip hop/house music that was popular at the time, nor do I like most of the television programs that were popular in 1990 either. Shows such as Full House and The Cosby Show don't appeal to me. :P The only aspect of pop culture in 1990 that I don't mind are the films. I like Home Alone, Kindergarten Cop, Dances With Wolves and Young Guns II.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 10:37 pm

I don't hate it but I'm not really a fan of the year.

I mean, humanity almost ended in 1983..which means that most of us wouldn't be here right now. One man saved us all.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 10:39 pm

I mean, humanity almost ended in 1983..which means that most of us wouldn't be here right now. One man saved us all.
What do you mean by your statement?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 10:41 pm

Reignman isn't going to like this, but I really don't like 1990.

I personally think that it was a very uninspiring and lacklustre time for popular culture. The trouble with 1990 is that although the year still had several prominent '80s influences, most aspects of '80s culture had become stale by that point and '90s culture was not yet fully established, resulting in the year feeling much more stale in comparison to years such as 1987, 1992 or even 1989. I hate how cheesy a lot of the songs from 1990 are as well. Songs such as "Ice Ice Baby", "Sucker DJ" and "Cherry Pie" are incredibly cringeworthy. :P

Rock music was also in a pretty ordinary state in 1990. Grunge/alternative rock had not yet emerged, meaning that hair metal was still the dominant sub-genre at the time. I realise that it wasn't all hair metal, but with the exception of "King of the Mountain" and "Forgotten Years" by Midnight Oil, I don't like any of the other rock songs that were popular. Music aside, i'm also not a fan of the hip hop/house music that was popular at the time, nor do I like most of the television programs that were popular in 1990 either. Shows such as Full House and The Cosby Show don't appeal to me. :P The only aspect of pop culture in 1990 that I don't mind are the films. I like Home Alone, Kindergarten Cop, Dances With Wolves and Young Guns II.

I'm not surprised because you've already said that multiple times before.

However, 1990 is not a beloved year overall. Most people actually agree with you and dislike 1990 because of the "cheesiness".

What do you mean by your statement?

Look up: Stanislav Petrov.

Written By: Escondudo on 07/24/17 at 10:48 pm

1955. Too much conformity and escapism in the media, as well as real life.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/24/17 at 10:49 pm

I don't really like 2002, to be completely honest. A lot of people on here seem to have a fondness of some kind for 2002, but the year has never really appealed to me. Despite what others suggest, I actually think that 2001 was a better year for popular culture than 2002.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/25/17 at 12:55 am

I suppose 2015. It's so friggin' overrated. It feels like everyone considers it either an improvement from previous 2010s years or one of the best. Aside from a few decent movies, it was a mostly disappointing year for me. The music was mostly boring sludge, the social attitudes were unpleasant, everyone was obsessed with either social media or shows I hated thinking about like Orange Is the New Black, people online were this, and the Pride celebrations meant almost nothing to be because of how awfully the lesbian community treated me that year (not that they're any better now, but after June 26, I would've expected better). Personally, I like to pretend the actual 2015 never happened and instead have Back to the Future Part II represent the year instead.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/25/17 at 12:57 am

2009, Probably my least favourite year of all  :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/25/17 at 1:00 am

I don't really like 2002, to be completely honest. A lot of people on here seem to have a fondness of some kind for 2002, but the year has never really appealed to me. Despite what others suggest, I actually think that 2001 was a better year for popular culture than 2002.

2002!! :o I really really like that year for pop culture. What makes you dislike it? ???

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/25/17 at 2:24 am

2002!! :o I really really like that year for pop culture. What makes you dislike it? ???

There's just nothing that really jumps out at me. It wasn't a terrible year for popular culture; I do like the original Spider-Man movie and I really liked Lilo & Stitch and Scooby Doo when I was a kid. However, as I mentioned in my previous post, I think 2001 was generally a better year for popular culture overall. I do like a few songs from 2002, however, such as "No One Knows" and "You Know You're Right". I just don't have the same admiration for 2002 as a lot of other people on inthe00s have. Maybe it's the fact that I was only three years old in 2002, I don't know.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/17 at 4:11 pm

1999. I didn't like how adult contemporary was starting to die.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/25/17 at 4:21 pm

For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about...just read this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/09/the-man-who-saved-the-world-by-doing-absolutely-nothing/280050/

This man literally saved the world...yet barely anyone knows of him. That's just sad.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/25/17 at 4:49 pm

2004.  it was part of the peak of the 2000's I think but it was so boring for me.

Written By: 2001 on 07/25/17 at 5:25 pm

2005. It was a hectic and tumultuous year from beginning to end, and had offensively bad music. It's definitely not "dreamy" to me, as some people on this board described it. ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 08/07/17 at 7:39 pm

1993. The year when gangsta rap and grunge dominated the airwaves.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 08/08/17 at 7:33 am

I agree with you.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 8:52 am

Honestly most of the years I hate are the years that a lot of other people hate too ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/02/18 at 11:52 am

Now that I think of it, 2014 is a year that I didn't like that most other people either have good memories of or really liked the pop culture (or both)

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/02/18 at 12:01 pm

1994. I don't see how a lot of people like this year so much, despite the fact that a lot of political tensions made me question how people love the 90s so much.

Written By: 2001 on 04/02/18 at 12:05 pm

Unblock me!!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/18 at 12:24 pm

1994. I don't see how a lot of people like this year so much, despite the fact that a lot of political tensions made me question how people love the 90s so much.

I don't know what you mean by this.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/18 at 12:25 pm

Unblock me!!

He shouldn't. Also, he hasn't been active since March 16th :P.

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/02/18 at 12:29 pm

I don't know what you mean by this.

Well, stuff like the Rwandan genocide and OJ Simpson's murder seems to be a few examples of what I meant.

Written By: Dundee on 04/02/18 at 12:55 pm

1990 has absolutely disgusting hits and there's nothing much else that stands out about it.

Don't think people love that year that much though, it's more like a forgotten year lost between two decades, completely overshadowed by the iconic 1991.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/18 at 12:58 pm

Well, stuff like the Rwandan genocide and OJ Simpson's murder seems to be a few examples of what I meant.

Are those any different from recent controversial trials and genocides?

Just because those things happen doesn't make 1994 a bad year. Horrible and tragic events happen EVERY YEAR. That would mean that every year is a bad year then (which could theoretically be true).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/18 at 12:59 pm

1990 has absolutely disgusting hits and there's nothing much else that stands out about it.

Don't think people love that year that much though, it's more like a forgotten year lost between two decades, completely overshadowed by the iconic 1991.

1990 is not a generally well-liked year. I am one of the few people on here who even likes 1990.

Check for new replies or respond here...