inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Events Do You Have on Video Tape?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/13/17 at 11:23 am

The last couple of days I've been going through my old VHS tape collection. Most of them are full of random crap, but I did find a few notable events that I saved on tape over the years. Here's what I've found so far.

Super Bowl XXVI: Buffalo Bills vs. Washington Redskins (Recorded January 1992)
Super Bowl XXVII: Buffalo Bills vs. Dallas Cowboys (Recorded January 1993)
1993 Boston College vs. Temple College Football Game
1993 Notre Dame vs. Stanford College Football Game
Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs. Dallas Cowboys (Recorded January 1994)
March 1994 Fox Kids Afternoon Block
June 1994 Fox Kids Afternoon Block
1994 NBA Eastern Conference Playoff Game: Atlanta Hawks vs. Indiana Pacers
1996 Tennessee vs. Alabama College Football Game
September 1997 ABC Saturday Morning Cartoon Block
Super Bowl XXXII: Denver Broncos vs. Green Bay Packers (Recorded January 1998)
1998 NASCAR Race
September 2000 Toonami Afternoon Block
December 2000 Toonami Afternoon Block
Super Bowl XXXVII: Oakland Raiders vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Recorded January 2003)
Super Bowl XXXVIII: New England Patriots vs. Carolina Panthers (Recorded January 2004)
2005 AFC Championship Game: Denver Broncos vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

As you can obviously see there, most of what has gotten saved over the years have been sporting events. Unfortunately, this is only a fraction of the things I've recorded during the '90s and early '00s, but much of those tapes have since been recorded over.

Subject: Re: What Events Do You Have on Video Tape?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/13/17 at 11:46 am

I have most of Live Aid which I taped on VHS as it happened  in 1985. Interestingly enough, about a year ago in a thrift shop I came across a whole bunch of old audio cassettes for 50 cents each and among them was pretty much the entire Live Aid event which somebody had taped from the radio. So, what the hey, I bought them. It's about 6 tapes.

Here's the thing about these now outdated formats. It starts to become futile to keep bumping them up to whatever the current format is, because it keeps changing. Hence my thread about "what comes after streaming". I've bumped cassettes up to CDs and CDs to MP3s, and now there is streaming. Eventually one gets tired of keeping up with these ever changing formats. After a while it just seems better to keep it on whatever format you originally have it on and maintain the machinery to play it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/13/17 at 12:07 pm

The night before Live Aid, MTV (MTV being the network thatbroadcast Live Aid from beginning to end. Part of Live Aid,with some of the bigger names,  was broadcast on network TV during prime time only), showed the  "Concert for Bangla Desh" movie, the idea being that it was the big daddy of these charity concert type events. I taped that also and still have the VHS, though I later bought the officially released DVD which is far better quality. But now even the DVD is somewhat hard to come by. I also saw The "Concert For Bangla Desh" movie in the theater in 1972 during it's original release.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/17 at 1:39 pm

What I have on my VHS tapes are a lot of WWF wrestling that I used to tape from television during the early and mid 90's, late night shows from HBO and Cinemax, Mr.Rogers Neighborhood & Sesame Street to name a few along with A Christmas Story.

What My Father has on his, he used to love ALF that he used to tape from Channel 4 back in 1986, still has them by the way, Live AID, USA For Africa and I think The Elvis Comeback special from 1968 just to name a few.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/13/17 at 4:40 pm

I started to record onto VHS a few months before I turned 10, so I have a fair few interesting things on tape:

* July 2009 NASA launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgq5fx5b7I

* The launch of a channel in August 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vi835RUss

* Something truly bizarre!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4Z0uUZv0I

As you can see, I convert and upload my VHS recordings. It's actually a hobby of mine, although I haven't done it in a couple of years. Sometimes you can find really interesting content on video tapes. A YouTuber who I subscribe to, managed to find the ABC rolling coverage of the September 11 attacks on VHS. I've also found a few interesting things on VHS tapes my parents recorded things on:

* MTV Knebworth 1990 - Super Stars of Rock concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5UiqWMyiY

* Good Morning America Opener from 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok23OQnZhSM

I have lots of other recordings as well, but they are Australian themed.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/13/17 at 5:21 pm

I never recorded anything historical on video tape. The only event I have on a VHS tape is my cousin's 2nd birthday party. :D The date was December 16th, 1989.

Written By: nally on 08/13/17 at 5:23 pm

I never filmed anything onto a VHS tape, simply because we never owned a camcorder (or any video camera for that matter).

But I do have several video tapes on which I recorded stuff from TV between 2004 and 2008. This includes a news event from February 2007 in which my uncle reported on his then-hardware store closing.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/17 at 6:48 am

I never recorded anything historical on video tape. The only event I have on a VHS tape is my cousin's 2nd birthday party. :D The date was December 16th, 1989.

How many times have you watched it?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/14/17 at 8:27 am

I started to record onto VHS a few months before I turned 10, so I have a fair few interesting things on tape:

* July 2009 NASA launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgq5fx5b7I

* The launch of a channel in August 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vi835RUss

* Something truly bizarre!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4Z0uUZv0I

As you can see, I convert and upload my VHS recordings. It's actually a hobby of mine, although I haven't done it in a couple of years. Sometimes you can find really interesting content on video tapes. A YouTuber who I subscribe to, managed to find the ABC rolling coverage of the September 11 attacks on VHS. I've also found a few interesting things on VHS tapes my parents recorded things on:

* MTV Knebworth 1990 - Super Stars of Rock concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5UiqWMyiY

* Good Morning America Opener from 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok23OQnZhSM

I have lots of other recordings as well, but they are Australian themed.

That's cool! Since I stopped recording stuff on my VCR back around 2005, it's nice to see that people were still recording stuff on tape up through the late '00s. Unfortunately, you don't see VHS getting much use at all these days.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/14/17 at 12:09 pm

How many times have you watched it?

I haven't watched it in so long. I don't have a VCR.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/17 at 12:13 pm

On video tape I have the BBC coverage of the funeral for Diana, Princess of Wales, for twenty years ago, also on the same tape I have the video footage of the funeral cortege as it passed by us on the day, when we attend the roadside to it pass by.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/17 at 1:55 pm

That's cool! Since I stopped recording stuff on my VCR back around 2005, it's nice to see that people were still recording stuff on tape up through the late '00s. Unfortunately, you don't see VHS getting much use at all these days.

It's pretty much phased out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/17 at 1:56 pm

On video tape I have the BBC coverage of the funeral for Diana, Princess of Wales, for twenty years ago, also on the same tape I have the video footage of the funeral cortege as it passed by us on the day, when we attend the roadside to it pass by.
I am hoping to transfer it to DVD soon.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/17 at 2:26 pm

We used to have a video in 1999 where there was a music video countdown of the then 'modern' music of the time. There was Nsync, Britney, and more!

Written By: violet_shy on 08/14/17 at 3:06 pm

I am hoping to transfer it to DVD soon.

I'm guessing that wold be best, since video tapes deteriorate over time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/17 at 6:00 am

The transfer will at the moment be direct to DVD, for I do not have a VHS Player.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/17 at 7:13 am

and they also collect dust if not used in a while.

Written By: nally on 08/26/17 at 11:00 pm

They sure do; tapes don't often stand the test of time. In fact none of my audio tape players seem to work anymore either.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/17 at 2:35 pm

They sure do; tapes don't often stand the test of time. In fact none of my audio tape players seem to work anymore either.

I have wrestling tapes from 27 years ago, just not in the best of condition now.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 02/07/18 at 4:01 pm

I had me and Liz reveling in Sonic 3 captured in all its 1994 glory on pristine VHS tape. Including me vomiting on Liz upon first sight of Knuckles. I also recorded our flight to the first E3; Liz and I performed a boisterous song that made no sense and incorporated "Going to California!" in its' refrain. Then there was the Christmases of my childhood, especially when I got a 32X and turned into the Nintendo 64 Kid's mom.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/08/18 at 6:29 am

I've posted some bits and pieces about my collection, but of course, I'm a VHS/Beta off TV fanatic. The oldest item I've ever found on any tape was the New York Giants @ Cincinnati Bengals NFL game from November 27, 1977 off a Beta. The condition of the tape had deteriorated to the point that the picture is snowed over for the first half of the first quarter of the game, but the rest is in fairly decent shape, and includes an early commercial for the Atari VCS (before it was known as the 2600). Since Beta went out of production sooner, it's easier to find 1980s content recorded off of them along with anything from the late '70s as well. I have a collection of around 4000 hours worth of stuff recorded off the TV. Of course, a small minority came from a personal collection, but there's still lots of tape out there as some may have stored them away in an attic, garage, basement, or storage vault. Of course, so many people trashed them when they switched over to DVD or since then, not knowing that there could have been content that may no longer exist or is so obscure or pointless that it won't be released.

Most of what survives on VHS is from the 1990s and 2000s, though I find 1980s stuff once in awhile. The newest thing I've found recorded on a VHS tape was from August 2013. It's still doable today with the proper wiring, but most would use either DVDs or just capture the feed onto their computer, but to me, since the programming was in HD, it just didn't seem to look that great on that format. Even the 1980s recordings look crude compared to official DVD or digital releases of these shows due to the lower resolution provided, though its still the most authentic way of reliving these, especially if you encounter a show that has syndication edits on DVD and come across original network broadcasts recorded on tape.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/11/18 at 10:08 am

My birth and some other times during my baby years.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/18 at 10:58 am

As you can see, I convert and upload my VHS recordings. It's actually a hobby of mine, although I haven't done it in a couple of years. Sometimes you can find really interesting content on video tapes.

How do you go about doing that? I have a box full of about 20 VHS tapes in my closet, many of them which have footage that I shot on a camcorder that I had when I was stationed in Germany from around 1990 to 1992. I've been meaning to go through them sometime (I also still have an old combination TV/VCR unit that I can watch them on) and see what's on them. And if I find anything interesting (or not too embarrassing!  ;D) then I'd like to convert and maybe upload some of my tapes as well.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/18 at 2:39 pm

I have a whole shelf of old wrestling shows.

Written By: nally on 07/18/20 at 1:46 pm

I just remembered that we have the first inauguration of Bill Clinton (January 20th 1993) as President recorded on VHS.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/20 at 2:48 pm

Last year, I sold a whole bunch of my VHS tapes-but kept the Disney ones, Weird Al's UHF, and the ones that I recorded. I haven't gone through them in a long time so I am doing this by memory. I know I have a bunch of old eps of my soaps that I used to watch (stopped watching them a long time ago), along with an old news segment from Texas that my ex & I were in, a local talk show that was on access t.v. that I was in, and my VERY first film that I created (that was shown on access t.v.). I also have some plays that were preformed during my teaching days. A bunch of old home movies that my mother transferred to VHS (but my brother transferred them to DVD). And of course-OUR WEDDING! That one I transferred to DVD. I'm sure I have other things.

I may still have a copy of that, too.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/18/20 at 3:10 pm

So far, My Father has a bunch of stuff he used to record from TV and that would include episodes of ALF, The Elvis Presley 1968 show, and We Are The World.

Written By: Dude111 on 07/20/20 at 10:56 am

I have a couple events on tape

1) Woodstock 69 - 2 tapes
2) Part of Woodstock 94 (Recorded from PPV on that day)
3) Phil Collins Concert in 1990 (Offical tape)
4) Phil collins 1984 concert (Offical tape)
5) U2 concert in 1983 (Thier BEST concert)
6) My mothers aunt/uncles party in NH (Recorded from a video camera)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/20/20 at 11:03 am

I taped pretty much all (or at least all the people I liked) of Live Aid when it was being broadcast back in 85. Man, those MTV "veejays" who acted as hosts were such airheads.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/20/20 at 11:24 am

This not an event, but I have the VH1 top 100 music videos/songs of 1995 on VHS.  :)

Also, I have my cousin's 2nd birthday party on VHS. December, 16 1989.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/20 at 7:51 am

And how many times have you watched them?

Written By: Howard on 07/21/20 at 7:56 am

My so called friend about 26 years ago He had recorded My Brother and I along with him for a day just the 3 of us at my house just having fun and having loads of laughs, a year later, My Brother would have passed away in 1995 so I am glad he had recorded him not knowing he would be gone a year later.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 07/21/20 at 11:35 am

Like I said in a previous post, I never owned a camcorder, so we never had the chance to record anything in-person. Everything I have on video is recorded from the TV.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/21/20 at 5:40 pm

My so called friend about 26 years ago He had recorded My Brother and I along with him for a day just the 3 of us at my house just having fun and having loads of laughs, a year later, My Brother would have passed away in 1995 so I am glad he had recorded him not knowing he would be gone a year later.  :\'(

Oh...thst's so sad. :\'( 

Written By: Dude111 on 07/21/20 at 6:25 pm

Quite a few times Howard :) (All except for the party)

Written By: Howard on 07/22/20 at 3:34 pm

Oh...thst's so sad. :\'(

I just never knew a year later he would've passed away so I'm saving that moment for the rest of my life.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/12/22 at 4:10 pm

Live Aid and a few of Reagan's State of the Union addresses.

Check for new replies or respond here...