inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who Is The Oldest Person You've Met?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/17/17 at 2:20 pm

There was a topic I did on this years ago, but since there's so many new folks now, I figured I would revive it because it's a fascinating discussion.

When I was a kid, our neighbor was born around 1915, and the lady across the street was born around 1917. Her mother was also still alive until just before my second birthday, and she was born around 1900. Does anybody here know of any relatives or people they've met that were older than that?

Subject: Re: Who Is The Oldest Person You've Met?

Written By: karen on 08/17/17 at 3:38 pm

I've met several people in their nineties. My granddad and two of my great grandmothers lived to their mid-90s.

One great grandmother died in the early 1970's so she must have been born in the 1880s

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/17/17 at 4:40 pm

The oldest person I have ever met would be my Grandpop (my Dad's grandfather), who was born in 1924. He passed away earlier this year. :(

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/17/17 at 4:47 pm

My paternal grandmother. She will be 89 in October this year.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/17 at 4:51 pm

My great grandmothers (one of my mom's father's side, one on my dad's father's side) who both just passed away this past summer. One was 95, the other was 104, and both would have been 96 and 105 this year.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/17/17 at 4:51 pm

Well this didn't happen recently. When I was 15 one day our History teacher was not in and we had a substitute teacher, or another teacher to take her place that day. Anyway, she was in her late 90s...to me that is old! She was so sweet too! I was having such a bad day that day in particular and she cheered me up before I went home. And well, she must be gone by now that was in 1995. :(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/17/17 at 5:08 pm

One of my neighbors who is an old lady and she's 77 and will turn 78 in October. She was born in 1939.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/17/17 at 5:30 pm

One of my great-grandmothers was still alive back when I was a toddler. I have very vague memories of her from 1995-ish.

Written By: nally on 08/17/17 at 7:04 pm

I'm not quite sure... but I do know that I once met a man who was born in 1899. I know this because he was 90 in 1989... but he's most likely deceased by now.

As for people who are still alive... not sure.

Written By: annimal on 08/17/17 at 7:07 pm

I'm not sure either.  Probably my Grandparents at whatever ages they reached

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/17/17 at 7:12 pm

I'm not quite sure... but I do know that I once met a man who was born in 1899. I know this because he was 90 in 1989... but he's most likely deceased by now.

As for people who are still alive... not sure.

Most likely deceased? If he was still alive he'd be famous for being the oldest person alive, since there are no more survivors from the 1800's.

Written By: nally on 08/17/17 at 7:15 pm

Most likely deceased? If he was still alive he'd be famous for being the oldest person alive, since there are no more survivors from the 1800's.

I thought that the last known person born prior to 1900 passed away not too long ago??

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55182.0

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/17/17 at 7:21 pm

The last person born in the 1800s passed away just a few months ago!!

Written By: violet_shy on 08/17/17 at 7:27 pm

The last person born in the 1800s passed away just a few months ago!!

I think the old lady I mentioned on my post earlier was born in the 1800s. Which was nice to know. That is sad. The entire generation is gone now,  I'll never sing them happy birthday and make them tea with pastries...

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/17 at 8:40 pm

The oldest one I knew was my grandpa, born 1919. He passed away in 2003. He was a WW2 vet, air force.

Written By: nally on 08/17/17 at 11:38 pm

The oldest one I knew was my grandpa, born 1919. He passed away in 2003. He was a WW2 vet, air force.

Very cool.

I did have a great-grandmother alive during the first 8 years of my life. She was born in 1905 and passed away in 1988. In addition I had some extended relatives (great-grand-aunts/uncles) who were born in the 1900s decade; all of them are now deceased but several of them lived into their 90s and I think one made it to 100.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 7:32 am

My paternal grandmother. She will be 89 in October this year.

My grandmother will be 100 in November.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 7:33 am

O0

No one in my (recorded) family have reached 100, I do plan to be the first.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 8:14 am

O0

No one in my (recorded) family have reached 100, I do plan to be the first.

She's the last one remaining in her family.

Written By: annimal on 08/18/17 at 10:18 am

I wonder how old my aunt Rosie is.  She's mom's older sister.

Written By: annimal on 08/18/17 at 12:15 pm

I'm so sorry but I just bought some shoes yesterday. 

Written By: nally on 08/18/17 at 10:13 pm

Hopefully she'll make it. Wishing her the best. ;)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/18/17 at 11:38 pm

My great grandmother was 95, but unfortunately she died in 2001 when I was only a year old.

Written By: nally on 08/18/17 at 11:45 pm

My great grandmother was 95, but unfortunately she died in 2001 when I was only a year old.

Similarly, another great-grandmother of mine was alive when I was born (my dad's mom's mom), but she and I never met because she lived in another state and died when I was only a year old. She was, however, aware of my birth.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/17 at 7:21 am

Hopefully she'll make it. Wishing her the best. ;)

She now resides in a nursing home, earlier this year she came close to near death. :(

Written By: Howard on 08/19/17 at 7:24 am

Similarly, another great-grandmother of mine was alive when I was born (my dad's mom's mom), but she and I never met because she lived in another state and died when I was only a year old. She was, however, aware of my birth.

I never got to meet my great gandfather, he passed away a year before I was born.

Written By: nally on 08/19/17 at 12:02 pm

I never got to meet my great gandfather, he passed away a year before I was born.

Similarly, most of my great-grandparents passed away before I was born.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/19/17 at 7:42 pm

She now resides in a nursing home, earlier this year she came close to near death. :(

Keeping your grandma in my thoughts. She is one strong, tough lady! I want to live to be 100..that would be awesome!

Written By: Brian06 on 08/20/17 at 1:56 am

Honestly I don't know. My paternal grandfather and grandmother were born in 1917 and 1918. I remember both of them. My grandfather died in 1997 at the age of 79 and my grandma died in 2010 at the age of 92. Right now I can't think of anybody older than my paternal grandfather who was born in 1917. My maternal grandparents both died well before I was born.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/17 at 7:34 am

Keeping your grandma in my thoughts. She is one strong, tough lady! I want to live to be 100..that would be awesome!

Thank You. :)

Written By: nally on 08/20/17 at 11:36 am

It certainly would be! I try to maintain good health as I get older; that will certainly help.

Check for new replies or respond here...