inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year were you 18 years old?

Written By: temaichi on 08/20/17 at 9:54 am

In what year were you an 18 year old? How was life back then?
Were people acting different then what our 18 years olds would do today? Let me know! :)

P.S I`m turning 18 in September, 2018. So i haven`t aged up to 18 quite yet.

Subject: Re: What year were you 18 years old?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/20/17 at 10:10 am

I turned 18 in 1998. Back then I was buying CDs at Strawberries and listening to the song countdown on the radio. When I was 18 I kept journals because there was no Facebook to post stories in. I would play video games on our Nintendo 64, which I enjoyed a lot!  :)

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/17 at 11:30 am

2011, not very long ago. I had a nice job, went out with my friends almost every other day, played tons of video games. Then towards the end of the year I went off to uni and partied! :D It was fun.

Written By: nally on 08/20/17 at 11:33 am

I turned 18 in 1998.

So did I. :)

Back then I was buying CDs at Strawberries and listening to the song countdown on the radio. When I was 18 I kept journals because there was no Facebook to post stories in. I would play video games on our Nintendo 64, which I enjoyed a lot!  :)

I kept journals during my teenage years as well, but I usually never shared the contents openly.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/20/17 at 11:49 am

The day of my 18th birthday was July 12, 2005. The Iraq War was the top political topic, and I had buddies and family that were fighting there at that time. The world was certainly changing. MySpace was taking off, social media was starting to become a thing, HDTV was becoming more popular, MP3's were becoming the dominant musical format, and I had just gotten my very first flip phone earlier that year.

You know, to some extent 2005 still seems recent, but as time passes the culture and technology of that year continues to get more and more dated.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 12:34 pm

This year, lol :P. I've been 18 years old for 1 month and exactly a week.

Nothing drastic has happened yet but I am headed off to college and I'm a legal adult now...so my actions will have greater and more serious consequences.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/17 at 1:03 pm

I was 18 years old in 1992, I was thinking about college that year but then I said to my job coach that I don't want to sit in a room for 4 years and mentally I'm not ready so I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and I wanted to make money so I attended vocational programs for many years and after that I got my first part time paying job with the help of job coaches and vocational programs I started with Au Bon Pain worked there for close to a year then I went to work for Pathmark as a cart attendant in 2007.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/20/17 at 1:08 pm

2010. I had my senior year of high school, which was excellent, save for the crap that occurred with my high school crush towards the end of the school year and into the summer.

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/17 at 1:12 pm

The day of my 18th birthday was July 12, 2005. The Iraq War was the top political topic, and I had buddies and family that were fighting there at that time. The world was certainly changing. MySpace was taking off, social media was starting to become a thing, HDTV was becoming more popular, MP3's were becoming the dominant musical format, and I had just gotten my very first flip phone earlier that year.

You know, to some extent 2005 still seems recent, but as time passes the culture and technology of that year continues to get more and more dated.

Politically, the Egyptian Revolution happened just two weeks before my 18th birthday. One of my coworkers was browsing on his phone, and then announced "I just read on Twitter that Hosni Mubarak is gone!" and everyone cheered. I thought to myself "Wow, the revolution was live-tweeted  :o". The world was changing right before our eyes.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/20/17 at 2:09 pm

When was I eighteen?
June 22, 2016 - June 21, 2017

Written By: wixness on 08/20/17 at 3:54 pm

How old were you when you were 18 years old?

:p

I was 18 in 2015.

2010. I had my senior year of high school, which was excellent, save for the crap that occurred with my high school crush towards the end of the school year and into the summer.

Damn, yet another one of those 2000s teens that I envy. I presume, did you have an emo phase, or did you fall for an emo girl (or guy, at any chance)?

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/20/17 at 6:12 pm

I turned 18 on July 15th, 2009. It was the summer before my senior year of high school. Obama was only in his first few months of his presidency and healthcare reform and the rise of the Tea Party were the biggest news of the time. I had only been using Facebook for less than a year as it was still beginning to explode in popularity. I did not have my own computer, so I had to go to the library all the time to use one.

I'm not sure how different 18-year-olds back then were from 18-year-olds today. I imagine there's not much difference.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/20/17 at 7:42 pm

When I turned 18 it was February, 1978.  Things were a lot different.

Disco was king then, and I as a college freshman, partied hard in those days.  In my home state (at the time) of Michigan, it was legal to drink at 18 - and I did.  Not to excess at that time, I just wanted to "try it".  (Incidentally, there aren't too many people around who can say they had the legal right to drink yanked away from them - twice!  :o )

There were no cell phones, no internet, and computers were giant, intimidating, room-filling things that sometimes required punch cards to program them.  (I'm a computer geek - I punched a few cards in my day!  ::) )

I was poor as a student, but was proud of my amassing a nice vinyl record collection courtesy of the large campus used record stores...

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 7:57 pm

This year, lol :P. I've been 18 years old for 1 month and exactly a week.

Nothing drastic has happened yet but I am headed off to college and I'm a legal adult now...so my actions will have greater and more serious consequences.

Another thing is that I registered for Selective Service which ALL U.S. male citizens have to do when they turn 18. You receive your paper, foldable Selective Service card in the mail and just keep it with you (until you're 26).

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/20/17 at 8:36 pm

I'm not 18 yet lol, although in 6 months in February 2018 I will be. :)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/20/17 at 9:02 pm

Today in fact is my 18th birthday.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/17 at 9:09 pm

Feliz cumpleaƱos!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 9:42 pm

Happy birthday bro! 8)

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/17 at 11:21 pm

I was 17-18 in 2008. How was it back then?

The mood was better than today.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/21/17 at 12:32 am

Only 3 years ago, but it's starting to feel far now since that was my senior year in high school and graduation, which I started around this time 4 years ago. Most people my age are in their senior year of college now, but not me.  ;D  Cause engineering is rigorous!

Written By: Fearsword on 08/21/17 at 7:22 am

I turned 18 on September 16, 2013. It was a pretty politically significant time. The Liberal-National Coalition under Prime Minister Tony Abbott had just been voted in my home country, Australia(9 days before I was eligible to vote). He was our 3rd PM that year lol. In the Vatican, Pope Francis had just been elected. North Korea started to become a big thing in the news following their threats to the United States. Musically, early 10s electropop was on its last legs and mid 10s indie and disco were dominant trends. Hipsters were now mainstream by this point.

Personally, it was an ok time. I was suffering social anxiety and depression at the time(which I still suffer to a lesser degree today) and I was started to become stressed over my final VCE exams. However, I had a good 18th birthday and I loved being able to place bets for the first time :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/21/17 at 8:59 am

Happy Belated!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/21/17 at 9:20 am

Turned 18 in March of 2014, and pop culturally there has been some noticeable changes but for the most part is pretty similar to today. However, politically the difference between 2014 & 2017 is perplexing. If you were to tell me in 2014 that in 2017 Donald Trump, who back then was still mostly known as being a bombastic billionaire who had a cheesy reality show, I'd probably laugh in your face.

However, looking back many of the political events & political strife of today in 2017 had started to become massively unveiled to the public in 2014. The Ukrainian crisis had just begun with Russia invading Crimea in February. ISIS didn't become a renowned worldwide threat until (ironically) around the day of my high school graduation when ISIS had officially considered themselves the Islamic Caliphate and during that summer some of the first ISIS beheadings were shown to the masses. Finally, you had the shocking death of African-American teenager Michael Brown (who was actually the same age as me) who was shot to death by a police officer, despite being unarmed. The officer claimed that Brown was physically charging at the officer and thus the officer felt necessary to the defend itself. But the other side of the story was that Brown was merely just jaywalking in the street, was questioned by the officer for that reason, and ran away with the cop shooting his gun at his back. This polarizing event obviously led to the major rise in BLM.

Despite the craziness, 2014 however still had a sense of innocence though, in comparison to 2016-2017, as Trump (as mentioned prior) wasn't a major political threat, and the Alt Right movement wasn't as strong. Heck it seemed like most people (including Liberals) still had a common enemy, SJWs (aka the Regressive Left) and just continued to rebuke their bullsh!t all day (this was the height of the GamerGate movement). However, it wasn't until 2015-16' when the whole GamerGate and Anti SJW community (now starting to consider themselves the Skeptic community) started to abandon much of their liberal values in exchange for more extreme right wing or nationalist values (or at the very least, being sympathetic to those views), thanks in many parts to the rise of Trump, who was perceived as an outsider trying to fight the PC Establishment.

In short, 2014 is probably the year you could point to discern where most of our political strife originated from. However, because the ratio of crazy events was lower back then, Obama was still in his second term, and the economy was rebounding (starting around 2013/2014) thus most people were talking about that, 2014 (especially the 2013-2014 school year, aka my senior year in H.S) still had a sense of peace, innocence, and unity. We may not have always agreed back then politically, but people were definitely much more civil back then, and the fringe elements of the SJW Left & Alt Right weren't as influential as they are today.

Honestly its those elements (not to mention pop culture being much better) that are making starting to the miss the early 2010's in many ways, especially the era from Late 2012-Mid 2014 when pop culture was still good, and my personal life was much better (working at my first job, getting a car, JR/SR. years, looking at colleges, taking SATs, Jr./Sr. Proms, going to the beach & Six Flags all the time with my friends, etc.).

Written By: Howard on 08/21/17 at 3:25 pm

Happy Birthday.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/21/17 at 4:13 pm

Happy birthday! Hope it was fun!

Written By: Fearsword on 08/21/17 at 5:38 pm

Happy birthday :)

Written By: 2001 on 08/21/17 at 6:39 pm

Happy belated birthday :)

Written By: Emman on 08/22/17 at 12:00 am

I turned 18 in 2003, a few weeks before my grandmother died of cancer.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/22/17 at 2:24 pm

I turned 18 in 2000.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/22/17 at 8:51 pm

Turned 18 in March of 2014, and pop culturally there has been some noticeable changes but for the most part is pretty similar to today. However, politically the difference between 2014 & 2017 is perplexing. If you were to tell me in 2014 that in 2017 Donald Trump, who back then was still mostly known as being a bombastic billionaire who had a cheesy reality show, I'd probably laugh in your face.

However, looking back many of the political events & political strife of today in 2017 had started to become massively unveiled to the public in 2014. The Ukrainian crisis had just begun with Russia invading Crimea in February. ISIS didn't become a renowned worldwide threat until (ironically) around the day of my high school graduation when ISIS had officially considered themselves the Islamic Caliphate and during that summer some of the first ISIS beheadings were shown to the masses. Finally, you had the shocking death of African-American teenager Michael Brown (who was actually the same age as me) who was shot to death by a police officer, despite being unarmed. The officer claimed that Brown was physically charging at the officer and thus the officer felt necessary to the defend itself. But the other side of the story was that Brown was merely just jaywalking in the street, was questioned by the officer for that reason, and ran away with the cop shooting his gun at his back. This polarizing event obviously led to the major rise in BLM.

Despite the craziness, 2014 however still had a sense of innocence though, in comparison to 2016-2017, as Trump (as mentioned prior) wasn't a major political threat, and the Alt Right movement wasn't as strong. Heck it seemed like most people (including Liberals) still had a common enemy, SJWs (aka the Regressive Left) and just continued to rebuke their bullsh!t all day (this was the height of the GamerGate movement). However, it wasn't until 2015-16' when the whole GamerGate and Anti SJW community (now starting to consider themselves the Skeptic community) started to abandon much of their liberal values in exchange for more extreme right wing or nationalist values (or at the very least, being sympathetic to those views), thanks in many parts to the rise of Trump, who was perceived as an outsider trying to fight the PC Establishment.

In short, 2014 is probably the year you could point to discern where most of our political strife originated from. However, because the ratio of crazy events was lower back then, Obama was still in his second term, and the economy was rebounding (starting around 2013/2014) thus most people were talking about that, 2014 (especially the 2013-2014 school year, aka my senior year in H.S) still had a sense of peace, innocence, and unity. We may not have always agreed back then politically, but people were definitely much more civil back then, and the fringe elements of the SJW Left & Alt Right weren't as influential as they are today.

Honestly its those elements (not to mention pop culture being much better) that are making starting to the miss the early 2010's in many ways, especially the era from Late 2012-Mid 2014 when pop culture was still good, and my personal life was much better (working at my first job, getting a car, JR/SR. years, looking at colleges, taking SATs, Jr./Sr. Proms, going to the beach & Six Flags all the time with my friends, etc.).

I honestly thought that the Isla Vista incident/Elliot Rodger's rampage really started the influences of the Alt Right movement. A lot of people began talking about the whole "angry white male" (Elliot, however, was Eurasian, not white) movement along with "taking the red pill". Elliot Rodger, I heard by many, is possibly one of the "founding fathers of the alt-right". I also began seeing a lot of stuff that would be classified as "alt-right" today via Elliot Rodger stuff.

Anders Breivik for what he did in Utoya in 2011 could also be a precursor to the Alt Right movement.

On May 23, 2017, a fictitious holiday on Reddit on 4chan called "St. Elliot's Day" was celebrated (third anniversary of Elliot Rodger's rampage). This is actually kind of sad because I don't get why people venerate murderers.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/22/17 at 10:18 pm

I honestly thought that the Isla Vista incident/Elliot Rodger's rampage really started the influences of the Alt Right movement. A lot of people began talking about the whole "angry white male" (Elliot, however, was Eurasian, not white) movement along with "taking the red pill". Elliot Rodger, I heard by many, is possibly one of the "founding fathers of the alt-right". I also began seeing a lot of stuff that would be classified as "alt-right" today via Elliot Rodger stuff.

Anders Breivik for what he did in Utoya in 2011 could also be a precursor to the Alt Right movement.

On May 23, 2017, a fictitious holiday on Reddit on 4chan called "St. Elliot's Day" was celebrated (third anniversary of Elliot Rodger's rampage). This is actually kind of sad because I don't get why people venerate murderers.

Damn thats beyond f'd up :o.

I don't care what your political ideology is, but for someone to idolize a psychopathic murder who just happened to have a disdain for women is morally horrendous. Its funny how these guys like the complain all day about how violent the fringe left is (SJWS, AntiFa, BLM), but yet they prop up guys like Elliot Roger & Dylan Roof, smh...

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/22/17 at 10:33 pm

I don't care what your political ideology is, but for someone to idolize a psychopathic murder who just happened to have a disdain for women is morally horrendous. Its funny how these guys like the complain all day about how violent the fringe left is (SJWS, AntiFa, BLM), but yet they prop up guys like Elliot Roger & Dylan Roof, smh...

Ironically, Andrew Anglin (the founder of the infamous website The Daily Stormer) loves anime and was a sexpat (engaging in sex tourism) in the Philippines. He absolutely hates white women (just look at the vile thing he said about Heather Heyer), but he absolutely loves Asian women.

Preferring Asian women over white women is another common thing among the alt-right, and they always complain about race mixing all day. Additionally, the people who were involved in the Charlottesville incident (Cole White, Peter Cvjetanovic, Peter Tefft, James Alex Fields, James Allsup, etc) all do not seem to have girlfriends (out of the three I listed, Peter Tefft is the oldest at age 30). I checked the pictures of the people holding the torches, and basically none of them were female.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 10:40 pm

9% of Americans find White supremacist and Neo-Nazi views to be "acceptable". 8% had "no opinion".

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/22/17 at 10:47 pm

The Columbine fangirls on Tumblr for example, though not really dangerous, they can get very annoying and stupid. They'll do anything to justify the actions of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold by saying that they were the true victims and that they killed "people who should be killed" (Rachel Scott, Cassie Bernall, etc). Most of these fangirls have crushes on them, and some even draw pictures where Klebold and Harris are having sex (Dylan Klebold was said by some sources to be bisexual).

Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy fangirls also act very similar; they have crushes on the killers and will do anything to justify their actions.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/22/17 at 10:53 pm

9% of Americans find White supremacist and Neo-Nazi views to be "acceptable". 8% had "no opinion".

It depends on how many people they surveyed, and likely also the location.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 11:06 pm

It depends on how many people they surveyed, and likely also the location.

1,014 people from all across the country were surveyed.

Also, it shouldn't matter how many people they surveyed or where the people they surveyed are from....no more than 1% of Americans should believe that Neo-Nazi and White supremacist views are "acceptable". Also, how in the world can someone not have an opinion on racism? Those 8% are very troubling even more so than the 9%.

Luckily though...83% of Americans oppose White supremacist and Neo-Nazi views. However, it should be about 99%, IMO.

Written By: temaichi on 08/22/17 at 11:43 pm

Dude. I still remember how depressed my teachers and friends were when i came back to school after what Anders Breivik did in Summer, 2011. I was 10 at the time when it happend and i was watching The Simpsons and it got cut off cuz they had to report the sad news. Norway was my country at the time before i moved to England in 2014. :-\\

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/23/17 at 6:36 am

Elliot Rodger, along with the Columbine killers and Dylan Roof, is a big loser and it's beyond me how anyone can worship him. This is what happens when you sit on your ass all day and make no effort to improve and get yourself out of situations you might not find too comfortable. "Nice guy" my ass! There are positive role models out in the world and he is not one of them. The only reason I think these alt-right idiots put him in any positive regard is because he's just like them: doesn't take responcibility for their own actions/blames others, impressionable and no real interests other than whatever's on his computer screen.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/31/17 at 1:55 pm

Imma turn 18 in 2020. April 8th to be exact.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 1:58 pm

I'm gonna turn 20 in 2020 lol ;)

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/31/17 at 1:59 pm

Lol nice that's 2022 for me

Written By: violet_shy on 08/31/17 at 2:19 pm

Dude. I still remember how depressed my teachers and friends were when i came back to school after what Anders Breivik did in Summer, 2011. I was 10 at the time when it happend and i was watching The Simpsons and it got cut off cuz they had to report the sad news. Norway was my country at the time before i moved to England in 2014. :-\\

You could all be my kids lol! :o

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 3:43 pm

When were you born :o!?!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 3:45 pm

When were you born :o!?!

She was born in 1980.

Written By: 2001 on 08/31/17 at 3:59 pm

I was working when that attack happened. What was really strange that it was the same time that Amy Winehouse passed away, so the conversation at work the next day went like this...

Co-worker: Did you hear about what happened yesterday? I couldn't stop crying.
Me: Yeah, it was really tragic.
Co-worker: Yeah, it's always sad when people become overwhelmed by fame and succumb to drugs.
Me: Wait, what.... Oh, you mean Amy Winehouse. I thought you were talking about Norway.
Co-worker: Oh, yeah, not to mention Norway eh. Terrible. *conversation shifts back to Amy Winehouse*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/17 at 5:38 pm

Lol nice that's 2022 for me

Hell, they could all be my GRANDKIDS!!!!  :o :o :o

Let's just say when I turned 18, Ronald Reagan was president.

Cat

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 5:41 pm

Cat

Sheesh! When were you born??!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 5:41 pm

Cat

I think that you were born in 1964. Am I right?

Both of my parents were born in 1963. My step father was born in 1964.

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 5:44 pm

I'm not 18 yet lol, although in 6 months in February 2018 I will be. :)

I`m glad i have a fellow friend born in 2000 here on the site. ;)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 5:50 pm

Me too haha ;D. Way too many 90s people here.

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 5:50 pm

Cat

You`re such an old cat. I didn`t know that they could live for that long... ::)

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 5:51 pm

Trueeeeeeee!! ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 6:54 pm

Trueeeeeeee!! ;D

That's because most 2000s borns are still kids. You guys will have your time in a few years.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/31/17 at 7:50 pm

I'm assuming I'm the youngest here as I was born in 2002 lol

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 7:52 pm

Sure are ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 7:53 pm

Yeah, you're the youngest active member currently.

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 9:04 pm

That's because most 2000s borns are still kids. You guys will have your time in a few years.

What do you mean by "you guys"? Let`s not forget that you`re a 2000s kid too! :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 9:07 pm

What do you mean by "you guys"? Let`s not forget that you`re a 2000s kid too! :P

He's talking about 2000s borns :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 9:32 pm

What Longaotian00 said.

2000s kid =/= 2000s born.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/31/17 at 10:19 pm

Way too many 90s people here.
Uh uh. Not even. You mean late 90s people. There are not many 1990-96 active people on here.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 10:36 pm

Uh uh. Not even. You mean late 90s people. There are not many 1990-96 active people on here.

We're still '90s people bruh.

Also, there are plenty of active users born from 1990-96...including YOURSELF.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/31/17 at 10:44 pm

We're still '90s people bruh.

Also, there are plenty of active users born from 1990-96...including YOURSELF.
I know, but it sounded like he implied there was a lot. That's not even close ;D.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 11:26 pm

I know, but it sounded like he implied there was a lot. That's not even close ;D.

But it's true...90s borns make up the overwhelming majority of active users currently.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 11:44 pm

But it's true...90s borns make up the overwhelming majority of active users currently.

Yes that's what I meant..... There are far more 90s born people in here than 80s or 00s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 11:48 pm

Yes that's what I meant..... There are far more 90s born people in here than 80s or 00s.

Yeah.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/31/17 at 11:51 pm

Active? Are we talking daily, weekly or monthly?

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 11:52 pm

What Longaotian00 said.

2000s kid =/= 2000s born.

I get that but it seems like as if you were including yourself in a different time then me and Longaotian00 by saying that our time will come soon. You`re only a year older, dude. You might`ve talked about the people that were born in 2000 but you make it seem like we are far away from "your time". You see what i mean? ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 11:54 pm

Active? Are we talking daily, weekly or monthly?

I would say daily and/or weekly.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 11:58 pm

I get that but it seems like as if you were including yourself in a different time then me and Longaotian00 by saying that our time will come soon. You`re only a year older, dude. You might`ve talked about the people that were born in 2000 but you make it seem like we are far away from "your time". You see what i mean? ::)

That's because most 2000s borns ARE radically different from me. Most 2000s borns are currently little kids to middle schoolers and I'm heading off to college now. Most 2000s borns also grew up in a different time from me.

Do you see what I mean? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 12:31 am

Being a true gentleman, I never ask a lady's age.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/01/17 at 12:57 am

BTW, Happy Birthday. Have a great day! :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/01/17 at 1:00 am

Being a true gentleman, I never ask a lady's age.

Yeah, and?? Well I'm sorry for being curious, she was the one who said I was young enough to be her grandkids. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/17 at 5:04 pm

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

I think that you were born in 1964. Am I right?

Nope.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/17 at 12:18 am

I turned 18 in late 2006. Then was 18 for most of 2007. So I guess the answer is 2007.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/17 at 12:19 am

Yup, most are mid to late 90's born now.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 12:28 am

Yup, most are mid to late 90's born now.

Yup....because anyone born before the 90s is basically a prehistoric dinosaur.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/02/17 at 10:00 am

Who you callin a dinosaur you wippersnapper?  :) :) When I turned 18 JFK was POTUS.  Truman was POTUS when I was born

Written By: Brian06 on 10/15/17 at 4:46 pm

I turned 18 in May 2005. It's not extremely ancient but that time is now seeming older. The internet was really still basically a new thing then. "Social media" essentially didn't exist yet. HDTV was really just becoming known in the mainstream but was still a cutting edge tbh. Smartphones essentially were only in the hands of the corporate crowd. Almost nobody used the internet on their phones yet, so being on the net meant you were at home or in the office. So we were obviously much less constantly connected than today when everybody has a smartphone and people are CONSTANTLY tethered to the internet.

I mean that is the biggest difference, sure the internet was popular in 2005 but it was far less dominant as a part of people's lives than it is now. Traditional media like your local TV channels and cable news networks I think seemed way more important back then too, as I said this was really pre social media and there were a lot less websites and there wasn't a smartphone in everybody's hand to get the news. A lot of people including myself still got a lot of their news by watching the local news at 6. I mean 2005 certainly had a good amount of tech but compared to today's world of constant social media alerts it does still seem a bit traditional and old school now. Everything is relative of course and God only knows what's going to be next. Honestly my mind is still in that era because that's when I came of age, and today just is a bit too much.  ::)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/15/17 at 5:28 pm

When I turned 18, the U.S. #1 song was Baby Come Back by Player.  However the day after my 18th birthday, the new number 1 song became Staying Alive by the Bee Gees....    8)

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/17 at 5:41 pm

When I turned 18 it was February, 1978.  Things were a lot different.

Disco was king then, and I as a college freshman, partied hard in those days.  In my home state (at the time) of Michigan, it was legal to drink at 18 - and I did.  Not to excess at that time, I just wanted to "try it".  (Incidentally, there aren't too many people around who can say they had the legal right to drink yanked away from them - twice!  :o )

There were no cell phones, no internet, and computers were giant, intimidating, room-filling things that sometimes required punch cards to program them.  (I'm a computer geek - I punched a few cards in my day!  ::) )

I was poor as a student, but was proud of my amassing a nice vinyl record collection courtesy of the large campus used record stores...

How did that happen?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/15/17 at 6:04 pm

(Incidentally, there aren't too many people around who can say they had the legal right to drink yanked away from them - twice!  :o )

How did that happen?

So it went like this - I turned 18 in Feb. 1978, as a student at U of M when the legal drinking age in Michigan was 18.  On the ballot that year was a referendum to change the minimum drinking age to 21 - and guess what, it passed.  So while I was a 19 year old student at U of M, the drinking age was changed to 21 and I was no longer legal.

I left U of M in Feb. 1980 (a long story) and returned to my parents home which was now Illinois.  Illinois at that time had a legal drinking age of 19.  So I, being 20, was legal again.  But in 1980 Illinois passed legislation to raise the drinking age to 21 and it happened - before my birthday.  So I was no longer legal - again.  >:(

In retrospect it's kinda funny  ;D

Written By: Elor on 10/16/17 at 5:40 am

Ah America. The country where you can drive at 16, enlist in the armed forces at 18, buy a firearm at 18 but can't have a beer until 21. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/17 at 6:21 am

Ah America. The country where you can drive at 16, enlist in the armed forces at 18, buy a firearm at 18 but can't have a beer until 21. :D
Legally

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/16/17 at 8:48 am

Depends what type of firearm.

I do believe that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun.

Written By: d90 on 10/16/17 at 9:10 am

Who you callin a dinosaur you wippersnapper?  :) :) When I turned 18 JFK was POTUS.  Truman was POTUS when I was born

So you were born in 1945. You were born in the last year of World War II

Written By: TheKid99 on 10/16/17 at 9:26 am

Just turned 18 under the Trump Presidency, October 13th, 2017

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 6:38 pm

Written By: 2001 on 02/06/18 at 9:09 pm

Yeah, you're the youngest active member currently.

Now she's old.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/07/18 at 8:37 am

Now she's old.

Old? ???

She's no longer the youngest active member but old? How so?

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 02/07/18 at 3:43 pm

I was born 1989; I sure don't look like Barney.

Written By: 2001 on 02/07/18 at 4:03 pm

Old? ???

She's no longer the youngest active member but old? How so?

Because 2013ers are starting kindergarten that must make her ancient.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/07/18 at 4:45 pm

Maybe :P.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/07/18 at 10:35 pm

She's two Chinese zodiac cycles older than them.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/08/18 at 9:43 am

I'm 13-14 years older than them.

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/18 at 5:13 pm

Does she have a written will?

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/18 at 5:16 pm

I'm 13-14 years older than them.

I know some people who got married and had kids straight of high school or university. They must have kids born around then.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/08/18 at 7:49 pm

Im 18 from From February 2018 - February 2019.

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/18 at 8:46 pm

Have you saved enough for retirement?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/08/18 at 8:48 pm

When I made my first leaked video.  :(  :(  :(

Written By: 2001 on 02/08/18 at 8:57 pm

When I made my first leaked video.  :(  :(  :(

Link? 👀

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/08/18 at 9:02 pm

I'm 18 until July 12, 2018.

Then, I'll be 19 from July 13, 2018 - July 12, 2019.

Written By: Alexander1956 on 02/13/18 at 12:27 am

I turned 18 in 1974  8)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/13/18 at 12:43 am

Have you saved enough for retirement?

Ummm, no! But hey, at least I've got all the way until 2065 to save for it ;D ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/13/18 at 12:45 am

I'm 18 until July 12, 2018.

Then, I'll be 19 from July 13, 2018 - July 12, 2019.

Nice ;)

Written By: Dundee on 02/13/18 at 4:14 am

I turned 18 on Valentine's Day 2015  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/18 at 5:24 am

Your day has arrived, have a great day. Are you going out somewhere special tonight?

Written By: 2001 on 02/14/18 at 8:36 am

Happy birthday :)

Written By: nally on 02/14/18 at 11:32 am

Happy 21st!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/14/18 at 11:41 am

https://i.imgur.com/R3yqYDG.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/14/18 at 2:33 pm

Happy Birthday.

Written By: Dundee on 02/14/18 at 3:50 pm

Oh my thank you all <3 <3 <3
Another year added to my life gosh  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/15/18 at 8:20 pm

I turned 18 on September 7, 1994

Written By: mqg96 on 02/15/18 at 10:34 pm

2014! Which is a year I'd go back to in a heartbeat! Well, maybe not for school, but for that epic summer after graduation!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/16/18 at 5:57 am

2014! Which is a year I'd go back to in a heartbeat! Well, maybe not for school, but for that epic summer after graduation!

Facts. That summer was one of the most fun in my life 8).

Written By: Wobo on 04/14/18 at 12:12 am

I turn 18 on May 5,2022

Subject: What year were you 18 years old?

Written By: Dude111 on 04/14/18 at 5:29 am

Written By: Longaotian00 on 04/14/18 at 6:16 am

2018 :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/18 at 6:42 am

How old were you when you were 18 years old?

Written By: ofkx on 04/14/18 at 8:32 am

I'm turning 18 and becoming legally an adult in January 2020, which means that the 20s for me will be REALLY different than the 10s :D.

Check for new replies or respond here...