inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Odd and even years

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/04/17 at 11:09 pm

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I have thought about years for some time, and it seems the even ones go much faster while the odd ones go much slower. Have you all acknowledged that too?

Subject: Re: Odd and even years

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/05/17 at 12:04 am

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I have thought about years for some time, and it seems the even ones go much faster while the odd ones go much slower. Have you all acknowledged that too?

Nope. I don't feel this, 2017 has gone so quickly its scary :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/05/17 at 12:05 am

So you think odd years speed up quickly?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/05/17 at 12:21 am

So you think odd years speed up quickly?

No, I think all years go quick, regardless of whether they are odd or even :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/05/17 at 12:58 am

No, I think all years go quick, regardless of whether they are odd or even :)
I actually used to think the same way. However since 2009, that's when I realized odd years go slow for me. That could probably change in the next decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 1:00 am

Every alternate even years are longer with the extra day added for the leap year (a year divisible by 4, except when the year is divisible by 400.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/17 at 1:16 am

Odd years seem to be more consequential for me but that isn't always the case.  The big turning point years in my life over the past decade have been 2007, 2009, 2012, 2015, and 2017.

More consequential years seem like they go slower.  That's part of why as you get older and you get into a life routine, time sometimes gets away from you.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/05/17 at 1:18 am

The funny thing is, I thought last year dragged a bit and this year has gone really quickly! :P I do agree with Longaotian00 though. I think as you age, all years tend to go a lot quicker, regardless of whether they are odd or even.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/17 at 2:57 pm

2017 has went really quickly 3 1/2 months until the end of the year. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 12:15 am

When not paying attention, anything and all goes quickly.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/06/17 at 1:08 am

The funny thing is, I thought last year dragged a bit and this year has gone really quickly! :P I do agree with Longaotian00 though. I think as you age, all years tend to go a lot quicker, regardless of whether they are odd or even.

2017 is very fast, 2016 went by slowly and painfully.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 1:11 am

One blink and it is gone?

Written By: Howard on 09/06/17 at 5:24 am

It's like we were celebrating the arrival of 2017.  :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/17 at 7:23 pm

Odd years seem to be more consequential for me but that isn't always the case.  The big turning point years in my life over the past decade have been 2007, 2009, 2012, 2015, and 2017.

More consequential years seem like they go slower.  That's part of why as you get older and you get into a life routine, time sometimes gets away from you.
That happens to me too when it comes to odd years; however, there have also been even years when something huge happened to me.

2017 has gone really quickly 3 1/2 months until the end of the year. :o

2017 is very fast, 2016 went by slowly and painfully.
It's funny how you all say when it has been the opposite for me. 2016 went very quickly while 2017 has been somewhat slow.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/06/17 at 7:30 pm

I think 2017 went by really fast. I still clearly remember New Years Day 2014 :/

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/17 at 2:34 am

At one time in this year of 2017 time stood still for me.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/18/17 at 6:34 pm

Odd-numbered years always seem to go better for me than even-numbered years. 2013 was probably the absolute best year of my life so far. Then the year after that, 2014 was the second worst year of my life, but 2015 was a big improvement and probably the second best year of my personal life. Then 2016 came and that was the absolute worst year of my life. Now in 2017, it has again been a huge improvement and probably the fourth best year for me personally.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/17 at 9:00 pm

2015, 2016 and 2017 have all felt really, really long :o

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/17 at 9:15 pm

I don't see a pattern at all, with me!  :P

I've had even years that suck, and odd years that suck.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/19/17 at 6:56 am

Since 2014 time has flown by for me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/17 at 4:06 am

Some even years are long than years when the year is a leap year.

Written By: Dundee on 02/12/18 at 3:56 pm

Well I think the opposite tbh... Thats maybe because only even years can be leap years so ever so slighly longer.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/12/18 at 5:30 pm

Well I think the opposite tbh... Thats maybe because only even years can be leap years so ever so slighly longer.

I agree.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/12/18 at 11:40 pm

Odd number years seem to go faster for me than even number years.

Most likely, I'm guessing it is because major events, such as elections, Olympic games, and World Cups all take place in even number years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/18 at 1:50 am

Most likely, I'm guessing it is because major events, such as elections, Olympic games, and World Cups all take place in even number years.
Elections can happen in any year when required.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 02/13/18 at 6:06 pm

Good point.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/24/18 at 11:23 pm

Here is something I've noticed when it comes to my personal life.

With even years, the late part of the year always seems to be my most favorite part. This was especially the case with 2016 when I started off the year still quite depressed in middle school, then I ended the year in high school and returning back to normal again.
With 2012, the latter portion was the best part for me. Late 2012 in terms of my personal life was the absolute best.

It's the exact opposite with odd-numbered years.
2017 was the perfect example of this. The first half of 2017 was the best part. Hung out with friends, went to the mall, etc. And the Summer of 2017 (July and August) was amazing too, but Christmas of 2017 wasn't very good since I got into an argument with my mother that day.

Meanwhile, Christmas of 2016 was actually pretty amazing. Loved all my gifts.

2013 as many probably already know was the absolute best year of my life, but I got into an argument with my dad on Christmas break that year.

I don't know. It's something I've definitely noticed.

Check for new replies or respond here...