inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it weird that I have never been a big fan of rock?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/18/17 at 3:47 pm

Everyone wanting rock to come back into the mainstream really has me thinking.  While I liked some pop punk, emo, and post-grunge in the '00s, rock has never been my favorite genre.  Even within those subgenres, I'm very selective in terms of what I like.  I really didn't like most nu-metal from the late '90s and early '00s.  I was never a fan of grunge or heavy metal either.  For me, I've always been a primarily a hip-hop and dance music person when it comes to modern popular music.

Can anybody else relate?

Subject: Re: Is it weird that I have never been a big fan of rock?

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/18/17 at 4:35 pm

I can relate. I don't dislike the genre. I just only ran into it really through AMV's. As far as I'm going into the genre is through Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Wake Me Up and Take You On, a nu metal song I remember some of the chorus to. The AMV sh!t. That's it for me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/18/17 at 5:05 pm

Everyone wanting rock to come back into the mainstream really has me thinking.  While I liked some pop punk, emo, and post-grunge in the '00s, rock has never been my favorite genre.  Even within those subgenres, I'm very selective in terms of what I like.  I really didn't like most nu-metal from the late '90s and early '00s.  I was never a fan of grunge or heavy metal either.  For me, I've always been a primarily a hip-hop and dance music person when it comes to modern popular music.

Can anybody else relate?

You're not alone...I can relate. I agree with pretty much all of what you said (except the emo part...I don't like emo 8-P).

I don't hate rock or anything but I'm not a big fan of it like many people on here are big fans of it.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/18/17 at 7:00 pm

You're not alone...I can relate. I agree with pretty much all of what you said (except the emo part...I don't like emo 8-P).

I don't hate rock or anything but I'm not a big fan of it like many people on here are big fans of it.

Being an '85-born, I should have been big into nu-metal when it was popular.  I guess the fact that my religious parents wouldn't let me listen to it contributed to the fact that I never developed a taste for it. 

When it comes to emo, the bands I like are "All Time Low" and "Jack's Mannequin" and other similar bands.  They aren't my favorite but I do enjoy them when I am in certain moods. 

Written By: Howard on 09/19/17 at 5:19 am

Can anybody else relate?

I'm more of a fan of classic rock.

Written By: karen on 09/19/17 at 11:32 am

It's not weird - I think it's weird that you wonder whether it's weird

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/19/17 at 11:44 am

It's not weird - I think it's weird that you wonder whether it's weird

I agree.

Written By: wixness on 09/19/17 at 12:02 pm

Can anybody else relate?

I seem to be more emotionally attached to rock and metal than I am with most other genres. Same deal with my sister, who's a 2010s kid. I automatically think that people who are not into rock and metal as much either are into more mainstream stuff, such as with the genres you said, might have a more religious upbringing, or genuinely dislike it - I think the death of rock and metal this decade might partly have something to do with how it hasn't aged well and how no one or nothing could keep it alive and fresh.

My dad liked rock music because he was a younger adult back in university years in around the 1980s.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 09/19/17 at 12:53 pm

I'm more of a fan of classic rock.

So I am I. I love 60's rock

Written By: Howard on 09/20/17 at 7:39 am

So I am I. I love 60's rock

I like 70's and 80's rock.

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/20/17 at 10:19 am

No, everyone has a right to their own opinion. The way you feel about rock, is the way I feel about modern rap. However, the type of people that DO annoy me are those who make blanket statements such as "rock is dead", or "rock never come back".

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/20/17 at 12:30 pm

I like surf rock, but that is from the early 60s. Rock to me is kinda bland. When it comes to genres I mainly prefer dance and funk music.

New Jack Swing, Funk, Motown Soul, Big Band Swing, Jump Blues, House, Hip House, Old School Hip Hop, New School Golden Age Hip Hop, Electro Swing, Eurodance, Bubblegum Dance, Jazz Fusion, Garage, Jungle, Disco, Boogie, Vaporwave, and Future Funk. If the genre isn't funky or danceable then I don't care for it (I once shot a man just for mentioning the "country" music).  >:( Rock is dance music, but I just don't care for the vibe it has in terms of sound.

Rock just is a bit bland to me. But this is mainly just a personal taste.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/20/17 at 1:28 pm

I like surf rock, but that is from the early 60s. Rock to me is kinda bland. When it comes to genres I mainly prefer dance and funk music.

New Jack Swing, Funk, Motown Soul, Big Band Swing, Jump Blues, House, Hip House, Old School Hip Hop, New School Golden Age Hip Hop, Electro Swing, Eurodance, Bubblegum Dance, Jazz Fusion, Garage, Jungle, Disco, Boogie, Vaporwave, and Future Funk. If the genre isn't funky or danceable then I don't care for it (I once shot a man just for mentioning the "country" music).  >:( Rock is dance music, but I just don't care for the vibe it has in terms of sound.

Rock just is a bit bland to me. But this is mainly just a personal taste.

This is my second to last post before I take my break:

I agree with you 100% (the things in bold).

Check for new replies or respond here...